Is there a realistic path to 10 wins in 2013?

T0mShane

Fixing the OL is not sexy but that is the shortest path to this team being competitive again. There are some stud pass rushers that will available at #9 and hopefully the Jets can trade down to accumulate picks and still get Warmack.

Whether the Jets roll with Sanchez, McElroy, a game manager, or draft a rookie - the best chance for them to succeed is with a good running game and time to throw.

As tempting as a guy like Mingo or another OLB would be, the whole point of keeping Rex around is because he is supposed to be a defensive coach who is capable of making due with avg talent. All of the $$ and focus this off season needs to be on the offense and if you look at '09 and '10 even Sanchez was successful with a dominant OL.

This. Good point on Rex. He's gotten the picks he's wanted. Make due. Time to fix the offense.

Fixing the OL is not sexy but that is the shortest path to this team being competitive again. There are some stud pass rushers that will available at #9 and hopefully the Jets can trade down to accumulate picks and still get Warmack.

You don't pass on a potential stud pass rusher to draft a guard, especially when pass rusher is the bigger need.

I appreciate the need to maintain and/or improve the OL, but a competent QB and a better RB would demonstrate that this OL is really just fine.

I like the idea of trading down in general, but if you have a chance at a true impact player at #9, you take him. Jets could add picks by trading one of their CBs, or by trading back in later rounds.

They have holes all over the roster, and drafting specifically by position is a sure fire way to have a poor draft. They need to BAP right down the line. They need help at OLB, S, QB, RB, WR, and TE. If they trade a CB, they'll need a new one. You can certainly put OL on the list, too, but there's no reason to prioritize it above every other position of need.

You don't pass on a potential stud pass rusher to draft a guard, especially when pass rusher is the bigger need.

I appreciate the need to maintain and/or improve the OL, but a competent QB and a better RB would demonstrate that this OL is really just fine.

I like the idea of trading down in general, but if you have a chance at a true impact player at #9, you take him. Jets could add picks by trading one of their CBs, or by trading back in later rounds.

They have holes all over the roster, and drafting specifically by position is a sure fire way to have a poor draft. They need to BAP right down the line. They need help at OLB, S, QB, RB, WR, and TE. If they trade a CB, they'll need a new one. You can certainly put OL on the list, too, but there's no reason to prioritize it above every other position of need.

I agree whatyou are saying , but the Jets took stud pass rusher the last 2 years with the first pick , the Jets need to take a look at the other side of the ball for a change or someone to help stop the run

I agree whatyou are saying , but the Jets took stud pass rusher the last 2 years with the first pick , the Jets need to take a look at the other side of the ball for a change or someone to help stop the run

They took DL the last two years, but they're still desperate for help at OLB - not that I'm saying they should target that position, either, only that it looks like that's where the value may be at #9 this year.

If there was a stud RB or QB there at #9, I'd be all over it.

They took DL the last two years, but they're still desperate for help at OLB - not that I'm saying they should target that position, either, only that it looks like that's where the value may be at #9 this year.

If there was a stud RB or QB there at #9, I'd be all over it.

There is no stud QB or RB in the draft but many OL and LB's in the top 10 , it going to be a bad year in 2013 but like to see a good draft for a change

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. I would not focus on a single one of the positions you have listed. The last 3 1st rd picks have been CB, DL, DL while the offense has gone from avg to atrocious. When the Jets had a great OL they had an aging T Jone, Shonne Greene and Sanchez and won 4 playoff games. Since then the OL has deteriorated and we've picked defense, defense, defense.

The Jets should be able to find a pass rusher somewhere in the draft or FA. The OL needs focus (see San Fran + NE) and everything else can be found in 2014.

If you look at the Jets in the last decade, every time they've done well it's been with a good OL. Then the GM gets a little overconfident and thinks he can plug in Adrien Clarke, Ducasse, or Hunter and everything goes to sh*t.

We'd have to win at least 1 of these games:

Home: NE, Pitt, NO,

Away: NE, Balt, Cincy, ATL

And then we'd have to win every other game against Buf x2, Mia x2, Cleveland, TB, Oakland, Carolina, & Tennessee.

So, no, 10 wins isn't going to happen next year. 8-8 max. More likely 4-6 wins. 7-8 if we're lucky

We'd have to win at least 1 of these games:

Home: NE, Pitt, NO,

Away: NE, Balt, Cincy, ATL

And then we'd have to win every other game against Buf x2, Mia x2, Cleveland, TB, Oakland, Carolina, & Tennessee.

So, no, 10 wins isn't going to happen next year. 8-8 max. More likely 4-6 wins. 7-8 if we're lucky

I tend to agree. Frankly, the difficulty of schedule would only make it easier for me to call 2013 a washout before it even begins, and get started on all the cap cleansing that needs to be done ASAP. Start 2014 with a high pick and plenty of cap room.

Unfortunately, Rex will be coaching for his life and will be pushing for a much different agenda unless -and this will push people over the edge, lol- Rex is given another extension.

I tend to agree. Frankly, the difficulty of schedule would only make it easier for me to call 2013 a washout before it even begins, and get started on all the cap cleansing that needs to be done ASAP. Start 2014 with a high pick and plenty of cap room.

Unfortunately, Rex will be coaching for his life and will be pushing for a much different agenda unless -and this will push people over the edge, lol- Rex is given another extension.

This is exactly what I have been saying.

This is why it makes no sense to me to keep Rex around this year, unless, gulp, they are truly committed to him for the long, long haul.

If they are, they should just give him an extension now so they have some prayer of getting a real offensive coordinator in here, otherwise nobody will want to come in seeing exactly what you are saying here.

This is exactly what I have been saying.

This is why it makes no sense to me to keep Rex around this year, unless, gulp, they are truly committed to him for the long, long haul.

If they are, they should just give him an extension now so they have some prayer of getting a real offensive coordinator in here, otherwise nobody will want to come in seeing exactly what you are saying here.

Slats, where do you reside on the Rex conundrum, now? previously you seemed steadfast in his corner. Now you seem more mixed.

Sorry if I am portraying any of your feelings incorrectly

Slats, where do you reside on the Rex conundrum, now? previously you seemed steadfast in his corner. Now you seem more mixed.

Sorry if I am portraying any of your feelings incorrectly

I said from the onset that I felt the new GM should have the ability to fire Rex and bring in his own head coach. I still think that's the best way to move forward. But the owner has made it clear that's not the way things are going to be, and so I discuss the team in those terms rather than whine about what isn't. Don't mean to be insulting to anyone, it's just my personal philosophy not to get upset about things that aren't going to change.

That said, I have a higher opinion of Rex than most here. I recognize the guy has flaws, but I don't think he's stupid by any means. Looking at coaching hires around the league, I can't say I feel like the Jets have missed out on the next great candidate.

Still, there's no doubt that keeping him in the job creates a conflict of interest between his short term goals and what should be the long term goals of the new GM. It's a complicated issue.

I'm supposed to be deathly afraid of the Bengals now? The Saints? They ****ing lost to the Panthers. Twice. Every year people try to decide difficulty of schedule before the teams play a game and every year people go broke gambling. Things look bleak for the Jets, but things change very quickly in the NFL.

As for the draft, Best Available all day as far as I'm concerned. Depending on FA signings, the team will have obvious needs at OG, OLB, RB, S, as well as the obvious QB problem. Fill the empty positions with low priced FAs and draft BAP. Which of our FAs are restricted? I don't think Greene is, but Howard should be. I guess Slauson isn't either.

I'm supposed to be deathly afraid of the Bengals now? The Saints? They ****ing lost to the Panthers. Twice. Every year people try to decide difficulty of schedule before the teams play a game and every year people go broke gambling. Things look bleak for the Jets, but things change very quickly in the NFL.

As for the draft, Best Available all day as far as I'm concerned. Depending on FA signings, the team will have obvious needs at OG, OLB, RB, S, as well as the obvious QB problem. Fill the empty positions with low priced FAs and draft BAP. Which of our FAs are restricted? I don't think Greene is, but Howard should be. I guess Slauson isn't either.

I don't see next year as a probable playoff season, but I do see a salary cap quagmire that needs to be addressed. So I'd gut the cap as effectively as I could in that probable down year, and set myself up for 2014.

And totally agree on BAP right down the line.

I don't see next year as a probable playoff season, but I do see a salary cap quagmire that needs to be addressed. So I'd gut the cap as effectively as I could in that probable down year, and set myself up for 2014.

And totally agree on BAP right down the line.

I think you and I are generally in agreement. We don't want to be paying forward for guys to make a moderately successful team. OTOH, there is no reason to tank the season. The alleged talent gap is questionable. The guys we lost on O shouldn't have mattered. It's just the QB taking a step back. The D is losing some LBs, but they are the same guys that were the problem this year, so whoopty damn doo. This team can still win.

I think you and I are generally in agreement. We don't want to be paying forward for guys to make a moderately successful team. OTOH, there is no reason to tank the season. The alleged talent gap is questionable. The guys we lost on O shouldn't have mattered. It's just the QB taking a step back. The D is losing some LBs, but they are the same guys that were the problem this year, so whoopty damn doo. This team can still win.

1. Cut LBs and QB

2. ????????

3. Profit

1. Hire Football Man to use his unique abilities in player evaluation to run the whole draft and FA period.

2. Tank season anyway.

3. ????

4. Profit!

I'd say your shtick is getting old, but that would be so 2010.

Oh come on, there's a point in there somewhere.

Your oft repeated point seems to be that you either don't believe in talent evaluators, or don't think the Jets need one. Correct?

I guess there's a point in there. Not a valid one, perhaps, but a point.

1. Cut LBs and QB

2. ????????

3. Profit

This seems like a serious response posted in a joking fashion, so I will respond with a question: Do you think it will be impossible/unlikely to improve our play at OLB and QB without spending a king's ransom?

I don't. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a moderate level backup QB - think Drew Stanton - to have done better than Sanchez this year. I don't think we need anything more than low-level FAs or guys getting the vet min to do what Thomas and Pace provided in 2012. Davis already subbed in for Scott without much drop-off.

Your oft repeated point seems to be that you either don't believe in talent evaluators, or don't think the Jets need one. Correct?

I guess there's a point in there. Not a valid one, perhaps, but a point.

I don't think there's some special rocket science involved with talent evaluation, which seems to be the latest Holy Grail on this board. I do think the Jets need more good players.

I think it will be pretty hard to mess up picking the new GM.

My point is no more repeated then herp autonomy or whatever this week's thing is.

It's the NFL.

Always one team that has no chance of making the playoffs, makes the playoffs. At least one. Always.

Jets have a big chance if they go for it, the AFC is very open. Very much depends how they approach it.

10 starters signed for next year and 12 million to fill every hole. Forget 10 wins. The team will be lucky to match this season's 6-10 record.

Whole new story, however, in 2014.

Archived