widespread changes

bitonti

You skipped my post in line with your metaphor.

But, if keeping Rex is a smart move, why are the Jets struggling to find a GM when all other teams who do not have any contingencies as far as we know, have not had the same issues?

Are they struggling to find a GM? Seems to me this extended time without a GM (two weeks to the outside world) says they're being careful about who gets the job. They're certainly not struggling finding candidates willing to interview despite the ever so hard situation Poor New GM will be taking on.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems is a qualifier that reads as "but really I don't know if what I am about to say is true."

Which in reality should be associated with every single comment about anything Jets or NFL related that is not a play that can be seen. Any talk about coaches, front offices, literally anything that isn't broadcast during a game should really be clarified with "seems". I was just acknowledging that this is what we've read and appears to be playing out.

Are they struggling to find a GM? Seems to me this extended time without a GM (two weeks to the outside world) says they're being careful about who gets the job. They're certainly not struggling finding candidates willing to interview despite the ever so hard situation Poor New GM will be taking on.

With most of the people as top candidates SEEMINGLY out of the running, it would sure SEEM that way, as they SEEM to be going after some people that we would tend to look at as second tier candidates.

This is typical Woody Johnson-why is it that no one seems to want to work for the Jets? Woody Johnson is why. Everybody knows he is a clueless rich kid who uses his ownership of an NFL team as some status symbol. This reminds me of when he hired Herman Edwards-there were a lot of teams looking for head coaches and one by one all of the best names were scooped up and we wind up with a choice between Mike Tice and Herm...which is why Scotty Cohen WILL eventually be name puppet, err i mean General manager. Rex needs a yes man with even less knowledge of football players than Rex doesn't have.

I'm more and more convinced that as of right now the state of sports reporting on the Jets is horrible at best. Its not fact driven but rather story driven nonsense that gets sprinkled with a fact (sensationalized of course, like keeping Rex for the time being) to seem legit.

With most of the people as top candidates SEEMINGLY out of the running, it would sure SEEM that way, as they SEEM to be going after some people that we would tend to look at as second tier candidates.

Caldwell, Dorsey, Heckert, and Colts guy with the T name are out of the running. Plenty of others are out there, and not all are second tier candidates (Dave Caldwell is a first tier candidate? Heckert?).

I'd call Ross a first tier candidate if the bar is Caldwell, Suck for Luck, and Heckert. I would call Sundquist a first tier candidate legitimately, and anyone from the Steelers is a good direction to look at. They're also interviewing the non-Dorsey Packers guy who SEEMS well received as a candidate.

Hell, they interviewed Morhinweg for OC and I would say he's a prime candidate for that job...So SEEMS and IS remain separate as far as what is going on here. I think they're just being patient. There's plenty of time to make a hire.

they fired or let go 8 people you wanted them to fire 9. boo friggin hoo. it's still a ton of change.

Westoff the ST coach retired.

Pettine the DC is in Buffalo (and he took assistant DB coach Jim O'neill with him).

Bob Sutton the assistant HC/ LB coach is a DC in KC

Mike Smith the OLB coach is in Texas Tech

the above were not fired. They left for greener pastures.

and we can't give the GM job away.

yes they have the money. Let's break it down they fire Rex it costs 6 mil. Then they hire his replacement... how much does that coach cost?

what this probably boils down to is would you rather have a high priced replacement in 2014 or a low priced replacement in 2013?

With the stadium not being sold out and people threatening to default on PSL's and the media pointing and laughing at the "Circus" it becomes wayy more important and far more business savvy to begin winning immediately. Cutting a loss of 6 mil. now is nothing compared to the cost to franchise of another losing, and worse, embarassing season. Its expensive to be a laughingstock.

bit, I think the negatives outweigh the positives with rex

he's embarrasing, he doesn't hold players accountable, and everybody talks sh*t to the media and he won't bench crappy players because he's their buddy

yeah, he can call a defense, but does he even do that anymore ?

he's the head of the clown car

I would have canned his ass

well, I would have hired a GM and let him decide, and I think the GM would can his ass

Pettine the DC is in Buffalo (and he took assistant DB coach Jim O'neill with him).

Speaking of greener pastures that was some wide open farm land on Westhoff's special teams this year. You could drive a tractor through some of those holes the other teams plowed.

the thread is called widespread changes not widespread firings

my point is there's already a huge amount of change happening for next year. A scary amount, actually.

the position that there's not enough people being fired (i.e. Rex) seems a little misguided. They basically cleaned house.

With the stadium not being sold out and people threatening to default on PSL's and the media pointing and laughing at the "Circus" it becomes wayy more important and far more business savvy to begin winning immediately. Cutting a loss of 6 mil. now is nothing compared to the cost to franchise of another losing, and worse, embarassing season. Its expensive to be a laughingstock.

i've seen this argument before keep in mind the combined TV contracts for the league are split evenly and 10 bil/32 teams is 314 mil of tv contracts. You don't really need to win to make money in this league.

Yes. In a heart beat. But Woody loves Rex. so woody wont fire him

I don't believe you.

that's 6,000,000.00 to do something that's free in a year. It's easy to post on a message board but it's another thing to cut that check so Rex can drink margartitas and hang out on ESPN (while still paying another head coach millions of dollars to actually coach the Jets).

Woody was born rich but there's a reason why rich people stay rich. And it's not by cutting huge checks for no reason.

I don't believe you.

that's 6,000,000.00 to do something that's free in a year. It's easy to post on a message board but it's another thing to cut that check so Rex can drink margartitas and hang out on ESPN (while still paying another head coach millions of dollars to actually coach the Jets).

If you're unhappy with someone's performance and feel change to be made, then the cost doesnt matter. Woody doesnt feel Rex is the problem. I do. I would have fired him.

But since I will never be in Woody's shoes, yes its easy saying that on a message board. Why ask the question if thats your response?? Just silly.

If you're unhappy with someone's performance and feel change to be made, then the cost doesnt matter. Woody doesnt feel Rex is the problem. I do. I would have fired him.

But since I will never be in Woody's shoes, yes its easy saying that on a message board. Why ask the question if thats your response?? Just silly.

oh... and if Woody is in a position that worrying about 6 million over having a better person to run the team, then we're f#cked and might as well root for someone else. Money should NEVER EVER BE a reason not to fire a coach.

I don't need you to be in Woody's shoes. be in your shoes. If you have what... 100,000 in the bank, (being really generous), you want to set 600 bucks on fire? it's still 600 bucks. Not to you have something like 40,000 in stadium debt.

ok so 6 mil to Rex, maybe 5 mil to who... Brian Billick? Ken Whisenhunt? that's 11 mil for garbage. You can hate Rex all day long but the smart move is to keep him and get someone actually an upgrade when the Jets actually bottom out and have the #1 draft pick. We want Woody to make smart decisions, that would be smarter than knee jerk fire of Rex, when there's no upgrades available, an entire staff to rebuild, and the team still hasn't hired a GM.

sure but would you pay 6 mil to do it? and before you say hell yes keep in mind that's alot of money even for a billionaire.

yes. woody doesn't work for J&J anymore, he makes his money investing a huge pile of cash.

the real question is can you afford fans not showing up next year ?

I'm at my wits end with this team. if they go the cheap rte with the GM and coordinators, I'm done until they get a real QB

Money should NEVER EVER BE a reason not to fire a coach.

money is the reason for everything in the NFL. it's entertanment and it's about dollars. the fact that chuckleheads like you and me are still paying attention after a 6-10 season means Woody doesn't actually have to fire everyone to sell his product. We are buying regardless.

I don't need you to be in Woody's shoes. be in your shoes. If you have what... 100,000 in the bank, (being really generous), you want to set 600 bucks on fire? it's still 600 bucks. Not to you have something like 40,000 in stadium debt.

ok so 6 mil to Rex, maybe 5 mil to who... Brian Billick? Ken Whisenhunt? that's 11 mil for garbage. You can hate Rex all day long but the smart move is to keep him and get someone actually an upgrade when the Jets actually bottom out and have the #1 draft pick.

Ok. Im a District Manager (or was when this scenario happened). I have an employee on contract for 2 years. After the first year, I realize its a bad hire. Do I keep him on for another year and continue to suck at sales or do I fire his ass, owe him his contract, and probably pay unemployment? The answer is YES. Every single time its yes. Stop it with this bullsh!t that there are only sh!tty coaches out there available. That stupid, backwards thinking is what hurts teams and force them to hire coaches who dont deserve another chance.

I dont hate Rex. I just dont think he is a competent head coach. And if I was the owner I would fire him. If Woody believed that Rex wasnt right for this team, and didnt fire him because of money owed, then we have a sh!tty owner. Money should NEVER EVER COME IN THE WAY. Ever. Unless he wants to be Woody Johnson-Wilpon.

money is the reason for everything in the NFL. it's entertanment and it's about dollars. the fact that chuckleheads like you and me are still paying attention after a 6-10 season means Woody doesn't actually have to fire everyone to sell his product. We are buying regardless.

If Woody johnson doesnt fire a coach because of money then we have a sh!tty owner. Plain and simple.

yes. woody doesn't work for J&J anymore, he makes his money investing a huge pile of cash.

the real question is can you afford fans not showing up next year ?

I'm at my wits end with this team. if they go the cheap rte with the GM and coordinators, I'm done until they get a real QB

No you're not. You love the torture. This is nothing compared to previous tortures.

Archived