widespread changes

bitonti

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Im a District Manager (or was when this scenario happened). I have an employee on contract for 2 years. After the first year, I realize its a bad hire. Do I keep him on for another year and continue to suck at sales or do I fire his ass, owe him his contract, and probably pay unemployment? The answer is YES. Every single time its yes.

do you own the company in this scenario?

If Woody johnson doesnt fire a coach because of money then we have a sh!tty owner. Plain and simple.

What if he is waiting for the new GM to fire him? Or what if he is keeping him because he thinks Rex is a good coach who dealt with an aging roster (the core of which Rex was not around for to add) that lost its best player and best offensive playmaker this year?

What if he is waiting for the new GM to fire him? Or what if he is keeping him because he thinks Rex is a good coach who dealt with an aging roster (the core of which Rex was not around for to add) that lost its best player and best offensive playmaker this year?

...add to that...who else is out there?

Who chose the TERMINATOR? Which HC went to USC and worked out Sanchez? Which HC went to workout Coples last year prior to the draft?

1. Rex missed on a 5th rounder oh noes. The guy who actually went ahead and drafted the FB is gone.

2. Probably a bunch of them.

3. What's this new issue with Coples? Guesses: Not a QB or Other Needs Were Ignored.

do you own the company in this scenario?

No. Im the boss. Responsible for making decisions and getting the ok from the owner. So the owner is good with my decision.

I'll put this into simpler terms for you:

If you think its a good excuse to say that Woody didnt fire Rex because of money owed to him, then you are so far off the mark. The LAST thing Woody should worry about is how much the contract will cost him. That is so much worse than Woody is incompetent. So just a little advice and stop bringing this up as it only makes the owner look even stupider than we think he is.

The ONLY important thing is Woody (like you) thinks Rex did a good enough job to stay. And thats what can be debated. Has this team and Rex performed well enough for him to continue being HC?

Nothing GOOD at least. From what I am told he did a lot of destroying.

How could he destroy if he wasnt involved with anything? He didnt draft. He didnt pick players. he didnt decide anything with offense or special teams. Maybe he picked the team food menu and what hotels to stay at on the road.

As with most issues, the real truth falls in the middle. Rex is just as responsible as the recently fired GM and coaches who were fired/left. But yet the Rexapologists dont want to give him any blame and Rex-haters want to blame him for everything. So what it does come down to is his performance as head coach. And from watching 16 games this year, I was not impressed with his abilities as a head coach.

He is keeping Rex because he thinks he's doing a good job. No other reason. If there is any other reason, then Woody is a sh!tbag heading down the Wilpon Highway.

If Woody really likes Rex, he should sign him to a new deal, pretty much stating that Rex wont be fired next year for having a sh!tty team because of the cap. If you're sticking with Rex, then you need to make the commitment. If he fires him next year, then he is a sh*tbag.

He is keeping Rex because he thinks he's doing a good job. No other reason. If there is any other reason, then Woody is a sh!tbag heading down the Wilpon Highway.

If Woody really likes Rex, he should sign him to a new deal, pretty much stating that Rex wont be fired next year for having a sh!tty team because of the cap. If you're sticking with Rex, then you need to make the commitment. If he fires him next year, then he is a sh*tbag.

Agreed on the first part, but I see no reason to extend Rex. All that does is open the doors for the people who are more than willing to turn that into a bad move, and even someone like me who doesn't think Rex without a doubt earned a firing would palm the face.

I still see it as:

If the new GM wants Rex, they'll extend Rex. If he does not like Rex he will fire him.

How could he destroy if he wasnt involved with anything? He didnt draft. He didnt pick players. he didnt decide anything with offense or special teams. Maybe he picked the team food menu and what hotels to stay at on the road.

While I'm sure he had input into the draft, gave his input on picks, and maybe even strongly suggested some players (most cling to Conners, scoff at Wilkerson/Coples or will dismiss it because as a DL coach he...yea you get it...The Floor is Lava) Rex Ryan does not actually draft the players. The GM went along with it and is now gone from the organization as they hunt for an eagle eyed Football Man who can smell the blood of a Football player from a thousand miles away.

As with most issues, the real truth falls in the middle. Rex is just as responsible as the recently fired GM and coaches who were fired/left.

Disagree. The recently fired GM had almost double the time Rex did and was actually the guy who was there the whole way through the 2012 53. Rex has some of his guys on there, but not nearly as say....Mangini when he was fired.

But yet the Rexapologists dont want to give him any blame and Rex-haters want to blame him for everything. So what it does come down to is his performance as head coach. And from watching 16 games this year, I was not impressed with his abilities as a head coach.

The only way to quantify a head coach's performance is through wins so there is no way you can logically argue he is a good coach off of 2012. You don't look good on the way to 6-10. Fortunately he's coached 3 other seasons besides 2012 and never gone less than 8-8 in any of those (total 32-22 in that span). He made deep runs into the playoffs with a roster two other guys had way more input into, and did it with one of the worst young QBs in football leading his offense.

I think he's a little rough around the edges as a HC. That said, he wins and no one cares, which is what it should be. Now that he isn't winning his act is a major problem to the fans, which is how it goes as well. I'm babbling.

I don't need you to be in Woody's shoes. be in your shoes. If you have what... 100,000 in the bank, (being really generous), you want to set 600 bucks on fire? it's still 600 bucks. Not to you have something like 40,000 in stadium debt.

This analogy only works if we all lived in a country where the cost of living is so low that earning $40/year puts you in the top income tax bracket.

Of course it's easy for people to spend (and throw away) other people's money. But the fact remains Woody could lose the team and 95% of his wealth on bad investments, and could still afford to frivolously spend $500K/week on anything and nothing every week for the rest of his life and never run out. So it wouldn't be like a "regular" person losing $600. It would feel like a nickel. Life is totally unaffected with or without it.

Sure $6M is a lot of money, but on paper Woody wouldn't feel it for 30 seconds. As LBS said, Rex is staying here because Woody likes him, not because Woody's stuck with him due to Rex's contract.

Sure $6M is a lot of money, but on paper Woody wouldn't feel it for 30 seconds. As LBS said, Rex is staying here because Woody likes him, not because Woody's stuck with him due to Rex's contract.

it's still 6 million. being rich doesn't necessarily mean forgetting the value of a dollar. In fact the super rich tend to value the dollar more than most realize. that's kinda why they are rich. If Woody spent like NFL players spend he wouldn't be rich anymore.

it's still 6 million. being rich doesn't necessarily mean forgetting the value of a dollar. In fact the super rich tend to value the dollar more than most realize. that's kinda why they are rich. If Woody spent like NFL players spend he wouldn't be rich anymore.

That's not remotely close to why Woody is rich, and I know you know better. He was the first sperm to reach the end of his mother's left Fallopian tube on one particular day. That is why he's rich. And if Woody spent like NFL players he'd still be a multi-billionaire. He could spend like ALL of the NFL players combined and he'd still be a multi-billionaire.

Not sure it's really sinking in just how much it is to be a billionaire many times over. Re-read my analogy. You could take away 95% of everything he has today and he could still spend (not invest; he could totally piss away) $20M every year for the rest of his life and never run out.

Now where I do agree with you completely that it is his money not ours, and it's super-convenient for people on a message board to spend someone else's money. But it's pointless to draw into the discussion how much he's leveraged into a stadium or how many PSLs he may or may not have sold. For the purposes of living on this planet, until the day the end of our society arrives, Woody Johnson essentially has infinity dollars. Infinity minus $6M is still infinity.

There are 2 reasons for him to retain Rex Ryan as head coach.

1) The most obvious: he likes Rex and has faith in his ability to coach this team.

2) Pride, in not admitting you were wrong about him in the first place.

I think even if #2 was a factor he'll get over it pretty fast. Ryan is coaching the Jets this year because Woody genuinely likes and has faith in him.

That's not remotely close to why Woody is rich, and I know you know better. He was the first sperm to reach the end of his mother's left Fallopian tube on one particular day. That is why he's rich. And if Woody spent like NFL players he'd still be a multi-billionaire. He could spend like ALL of the NFL players combined and he'd still be a multi-billionaire.

Not sure it's really sinking in just how much it is to be a billionaire many times over. Re-read my analogy. You could take away 95% of everything he has today and he could still spend (not invest; he could totally piss away) $20M every year for the rest of his life and never run out.

Now where I do agree with you completely that it is his money not ours, and it's super-convenient for people on a message board to spend someone else's money. But it's pointless to draw into the discussion how much he's leveraged into a stadium or how many PSLs he may or may not have sold. For the purposes of living on this planet, until the day the end of our society arrives, Woody Johnson essentially has infinity dollars. Infinity minus $6M is still infinity.

There are 2 reasons for him to retain Rex Ryan as head coach.

1) The most obvious: he likes Rex and has faith in his ability to coach this team.

2) Pride, in not admitting you were wrong about him in the first place.

I think even if #2 was a factor he'll get over it pretty fast. Ryan is coaching the Jets this year because Woody genuinely likes and has faith in him.

bottom line, no one knows,,

move on and bleed green and freakin pray....pray like hell ;)

For the purposes of living on this planet, until the day the end of our society arrives, Woody Johnson essentially has infinity dollars. Infinity minus $6M is still infinity.

My understanding is that Woody is not a billionaire "many times over" He's got maybe a Bil and he's over extended on debt. He's cash poor most likely. He has a billion in assets ok but how liquid is he? He's not scrooge mcduck with a room full of gold coins. Here's a question what are his sources of income? It's probably all investment at this point.

there's a poker saying it's alot easier to lose money than it is to win money, Even a vast fortune like Woody's can be squandered, quickly. Spending 6 mil to fire Rex, when you could fire him for free a year later (and likely have to spend 5+ mil on a replacement) is exactly the kind of thinking that squanders a fortune.

My understanding is that Woody is not a billionaire "many times over" He's got maybe a Bil and he's over extended on debt. He's cash poor most likely. He has a billion in assets ok but how liquid is he? He's not scrooge mcduck with a room full of gold coins. Here's a question what are his sources of income? It's probably all investment at this point.

there's a poker saying it's alot easier to lose money than it is to win money, Even a vast fortune like Woody's can be squandered, quickly. Spending 6 mil to fire Rex, when you could fire him for free a year later (and likely have to spend 5+ mil on a replacement) is exactly the kind of thinking that squanders a fortune.

Based on what, that you have any knowledge of, is Woody Johnson "cash poor"? And your own speculation and suspicion doesn't count. Neither does him having his money invested rather than paper cash or physical gold.

Based on what, that you have any knowledge of, is Woody Johnson "cash poor"? And your own speculation and suspicion doesn't count. Neither does him having his money invested rather than paper cash or physical gold.

i could be asking you how you know woody johnson has infinity dollars. What's more likely my story that he's leveraged and most of his value is in property and investments or your story that he can spend whatever he wants for however long he wants... forever.

it doesn't take long for a family fortune to be squandered, especially when the family business was sold in the 1950's.

According to a recent Cimini article, he doesn't even have one lousy billion dollars.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Johnson not a member of billionaire club

By Rich Cimini

I wanna be a billionaire so (bleepin) bad ...

Forbes magazine this week released its list of the world's billionaires and, not surprisingly, it included several NFL owners, giving credence to those claiming the labor dispute is millionaires versus billionaires.

Interestingly, Jets owner Woody Johnson didn't make the list. He's often referred to in print as a billionaire, but that apparently isn't the case, according to Forbes. We're no financial expert, but you have to assume the amount of debt from the new stadium has kept Johnson under the billionaire mark.

The richest owner, according to Forbes, is Paul Allen of the Seahawks. His net worth is $13.5 billion. Next is Stephen Ross of the Dolphins -- a cool $3.4 billion.

Others: The Glazer Family (Buccaneers), Stanley Kroenke (Rams), Jerry Jones (Cowboys), Robert Kraft (Patriots), Steve Bisciotti (Ravens), Robert McNair (Texans), Jim Irsay (Colts) and Arthur Blank (Falcons).

Alex Spanos (Chargers), Bud Adams (Titans) and Dan Snyder (Redskins) also belong to the elite club, as do Tom Benson (Saints) and Jeffery Laurie (Eagles).

According to a recent Cimini article, he doesn't even have one lousy billion dollars.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Johnson not a member of billionaire club

By Rich Cimini

I wanna be a billionaire so (bleepin) bad ...

Forbes magazine this week released its list of the world's billionaires and, not surprisingly, it included several NFL owners, giving credence to those claiming the labor dispute is millionaires versus billionaires.

Interestingly, Jets owner Woody Johnson didn't make the list. He's often referred to in print as a billionaire, but that apparently isn't the case, according to Forbes. We're no financial expert, but you have to assume the amount of debt from the new stadium has kept Johnson under the billionaire mark.

He hit me up at Fashion Week last year :(

i could be asking you how you know woody johnson has infinity dollars. What's more likely my story that he's leveraged and most of his value is in property and investments or your story that he can spend whatever he wants for however long he wants... forever.

it doesn't take long for a family fortune to be squandered, especially when the family business was sold in the 1950's.

Infinity.

Woody gave his ex-wife 100 million in the divorce settlement back in the day. That is if the NY Post is to be believed.

there's that... tens of mil to the presidential campaign, 650 mil to buy the Jets, 400 mil in loans for the stadium... there was a time he was probably a billionaire many times over, those days are in the past. Yes he probably has a ton of assets. Maybe even a billion dollars worth of assets. Maybe more. But he's got big time debt and we don't know what his cash situation is like. the interest to service 400 million in debt is like firing half a Rex every month.

Woody gave his ex-wife 100 million in the divorce settlement back in the day. That is if the NY Post is to be believed.

She is in news also

Jets ex-wife’s marriage woe

• Last Updated: 4:08 AM, January 15, 2013
  • Posted: 12:17 AM, January 15, 2013

There’s trouble in paradise for Jets owner Woody Johnson’s wealthy ex-wife Sale Johnson and her new husband, former NFL star and sportscasterAhmad Rashad.

Socialite and former model Sale, who married Johnson & Johnson billionaire Woody in 1977 and had three children before they divorced in 2001, married NBC sportscaster Rashad, 63, in 2007. After the tragic death of her daughter Casey in 2010, they adopted Casey’s daughter, Ava.

Sources exclusively tell Page Six the couple, who live in a swanky private enclave in Jupiter, Fla., have recently been on the rocks — fighting over her immense $100 million wealth and his friendship with golf bad boy Tiger Woods, as well as his longtime pal NBA all-time great Michael Jordan.

sale_johnson--300x300.jpg

Sale Johnson

A source told us, “Sale has asked him to move out. Things appear to be very bitter. He is trying to get her banned from his country club in Florida. And she worries about the influence of known adulterers Woods and Jordan.

“He plays golf with Tiger Woods. He’s also close friends with Michael Jordan, who was living with them for over a year.”

Sale, 63, received a $100 million divorce settlement in her split with Woody, and spends the winter in Florida. She and Rashad also have a $10 million apartment at 817 Fifth Ave.

Another source told us, “Sale has a watertight prenup with Ahmad, so if they divorce, he won’t be walking away with tens of millions.” The source added that former Vikings wide receiver and Emmy Award-winning sportscaster Rashad, while he serves as a studio host for NBA TV Atlanta, “spends a lot of time with Jordan and his buddies, golfing.”

RashÄ�ad, once said to be worth $8 million, has been married four times and has five children. In 1985, he married “Cosby Show” star Phylicia Ayers-Allen after proposing to her on live TV. They divorced after 16 years of marriage, in 2001.

Rashad’s agent, Tony Burton, declined to comment last night. Sale didn’t respond to e-mails and phone calls.

Archived