A "Local Kid" Possible Cure To Our Pass Rushing Issues??

Jets2013

Saw this thread on draftcountdown.com forums about local kid from Long Island who is the fastest rising DE on the draft boards. Moved up 25 spots from 40 something a month ago to #17 today (on nfldraftscout.com). Supposed to be the biggest/fastest DE in the draft but is an "unknown" draft sleeper from Princeton. Won 2012 Bushnell Award and is 270 lbs runs a 4.6 40 yd dash and missed all time Ivy League single season sack record by 1 sack.

Might be worth a look. We need something...maybe we can get him as a value pick. Kid's name is Mike Catapano. Playing in this weekend's East West Shrine Game on NFL Network. Check out the link...sounds pretty damn good. Our offense sucks balls but our D was 26th in the league in sacks. Says the kid grew up a Jet fan and his childhood dream was to play for the Jets, I like the sound of that! :winking0001: I say we get him! Brains and athleticism sounds good to me

http://draftcountdow...ead.php?t=55035

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a legit 4-3 DE, I wouldnt want him in coverage.

A quality pass rusher is a quality pass rusher. And he runs a 4.6 so who knows maybe he can cover. I spoke to my buddy tonight who works for Tampa as a scout and they have their whole staff there watching practice and interviewing this week...even the GM and Schiano. He said he saw the East Team practice today and was at weigh-ins and there is a buzz surrounding this kid and he is drawing attention. As fans we should pay attention (as much as we can anyway) its not like our GM is there paying attention like Tampa's...ohwait, thats right my bad, we don't have a GM. :love0040: I'm tuning into NFL network Sat at 4pm to take a peak. Color me curious

The Ghoul with an Ivy League edumacation. Sign this beast!

A mid round pick with big upside sounds interesting to me...tired of 1st round guys who struggle in getting to the passer personally. Who was the last pass rusher we had to have double digit sacks? Can anybody remember because I dont. We've had how many 1st round pass rushers in the last 5-6 years? What half the years we got a pass rusher as #1 pick but no double digit QB predators?...this kid looks mighty beastly to me. 1 sack shy of a 100+ year record is impressive, Ivy League or not

I say let the fans conduct the draft via social media.

With the 9th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select @HoLLaATCHAboyeee_QB_AwesSOmE!!! from the Like us on Facebook University of this is why the world hates America

They got pass rushers coming out that are proven in the NFLDL (SEC). Don't risk it on a potential fraud

Lets see what he's got before calling him a fraud. If he does what he did all year in the Ivy against NFL talent in the EW Shrine then aint a fraud. Top SEC pass rushers tend to be costly and in case we draft one #9 and he becomes a bust (like alot of our other top 1st and 2nd round defensive picks have) a nice mid round flyer might prove helpful

right now we have nobody who has a nose for the QB and the ball like this kid...nobody! Also led his league in forced fumbles and batted passes and tackles for loses. I say a top SEC pass rush LB if u want with #9 pick and this kid just in case in the 4th round if we can still get him there and our pressure improves dramatically. Right now we have nobody. Wilkerson is a good 3-4 DE but who is rushing the QB dammit??

Sounds like a Sidd Finch-esque story.

Just read this of a review of today's EW Shrine Practices...its usually a good thing when your picture is posted and your name is the first one written up...watch this kid, telling you, we got something here me thinks :winking0001:

picscroll.jpg

title_allStar.png

East West Shrine

Princeton.jpg

Risers Day 1 Practice

by Bo Marchionte

East West Shrine Practice Day 1

After heights and weights were taken early this morning each team the East and West suited up for the first practices of the East West Shrine Game. With day one in the books, there were several that helped themselves after day one of the practice.

Princeton - Defensive linemen Mike Catapano was all over the place today. Catapano showed a relentless motor all afternoon. One play in particular he closed the gap on the quarterback who was trying to get around the corner then said "cmon baby hell yeah," after eliminating the edge. Catapano was excellent in pursuit, and something I jotted down several times in my notes.

Illinois - Cornerback Terry Hawthorne looked the part of cornerback today and also fielded punts during the fading sun of West practices. Hawthorne earned the praises of West defensive back coach time and time again. Personally thought he looked pretty fluid in coverage.

Rutgers - Tight End D.C. Jefferson the seldom used receiver for Scarlet Knights had a pleasant catch in traffic today while holding his own during blocking drills. Jefferson looks the part and thought he did himself good with today's performance.

North Carolina State - Safety Earl Wolff clearly showed he belongs. Wolff was solid sifting through traffic to locate the ball in run support. Wolff also had an interception during practice. Prior to the interception I thought his ability to find the ball carrier stood out.

Pittsburgh - Running back Ray Graham made one cut today that made me look back on the East roster sheet to make sure it was him. Graham showed immense elusiveness and on play in particular he lowered the boom on opposing defender. The power displayed on that one play equaled the quickness he showed on the other.

Memphis - Offensive linemen Jordan Devey played well today. Repeatedly he was earning the praise of coaches for doing drills correctly. For instance one particular East linemen earned the opposite " you just missed everything we just taught you in the last five minutes," said the East o-line coach. Devey looked athletic with long arms. Seemed to have good bend in his knees, and could slide his feet and play with balance in his feet.

Michigan - Defensive linemen William Campbell brought it today and can see him continue to rise up boards. Campbell wowed on lookers on one particular drill and continued to showcase knack for holding his own and being able to push the line of scrimmage. Campbell did however; display his long snapping skills and those shouldn't be brought to the field again. Campbell volunteered to snap and the rustyness of not doing it showed.

right now we have nobody who has a nose for the QB and the ball like this kid...nobody! Also led his league in forced fumbles and batted passes and tackles for loses. I say a top SEC pass rush LB if u want with #9 pick and this kid just in case in the 4th round if we can still get him there and our pressure improves dramatically. Right now we have nobody. Wilkerson is a good 3-4 DE but who is rushing the QB dammit??

Kid definetly looks explosive, quick, and can get after it inside, and outside, but like was said earlier in the thread he looks more like a 4-3 DE prospect, and will probably take a year, or to to get stronger, can't play in the NFL if your not strong enough regardless how quick, and fast you are see A Maybin, IF he develops a power move, and strength to execute the power move he could be a keeper in this league at 4-3 DE.

Only problem is there is a world of difference playing against 6'4" 285 Ivy League tackles who will be working on Wall Street or in law school next September while the SEC tackles going 6'5" 315 will be either starting or on an NFL bench. Perhaps as a UDFA flyer probably couldn;t hurt tot take a look.

A lot can happen between now and the draft, but right now this site has him as an undrafted free agent: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=92250&draftyear=2013&genpos=DE

Pass rushers are always a premium position, and I'd like to see the Jets try to find a couple, but a guy who did most of his damage against other Ivy League teams will probably be available in the seventh or as an UDFA.

A lot can happen between now and the draft, but right now this site has him as an undrafted free agent: http://www.nfldrafts...=2013&genpos=DE

Pass rushers are always a premium position, and I'd like to see the Jets try to find a couple, but a guy who did most of his damage against other Ivy League teams will probably be available in the seventh or as an UDFA.

He is the fastest rising DE on the draft board. From what I heard from my friend who is there and works as an NFL scout there is a HUGE buzz around this kid and if we don't draft him somebody else will. Why not look into a local guy for value mid/late round pick? Tired of 1st round busts

He is the fastest rising DE on the draft board. From what I heard from my friend who is there and works as an NFL scout there is a HUGE buzz around this kid and if we don't draft him somebody else will. Why not look into a local guy for value mid round pick? Tired of 1st round busts

I can see that you're in love, and that's cool.

It's also 100% cool with me if this guy shoots up the Jets' draft board, and they take him in the middle rounds. I just want the Jets to go BAP right thru the draft, pausing occasionally to trade down and accumulate more picks. If your man-crush fits in there someplace, great!

But right now, he doesn't look like a mid-round value. He looks like a mid-round reach. The Jets don't need those.

Only problem is there is a world of difference playing against 6'4" 285 Ivy League tackles who will be working on Wall Street or in law school next September while the SEC tackles going 6'5" 315 will be either starting or on an NFL bench. Perhaps as a UDFA flyer probably couldn;t hurt tot take a look.

True...but he didn't just play against the Ivy League he completely DOMINATED and is reportedly showing the same down in EW Shrine practice so far. We need to fish for talent in different waters in my opinion. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. It angers me as a fan that Tampa has their GM and Schiano and whole staff there all week and we don't even have a GM...WTF? The EW Shrine is where a lot of great value picks and talent are found. In fact this kid has same agent as Alfred Morris who got drafted in round 6 last year and was the 2nd best RB in the NFL this year...and not only that but the same agent as just as high about Catapano. Hope we got quality people there scouting...but who is in charge? As a fan its frustrating.

I can see that you're in love, and that's cool.

It's also 100% cool with me if this guy shoots up the Jets' draft board, and they take him in the middle rounds. I just want the Jets to go BAP right thru the draft, pausing occasionally to trade down and accumulate more picks. If your man-crush fits in there someplace, great!

But right now, he doesn't look like a mid-round value. He looks like a mid-round reach. The Jets don't need those.

Not really man...just trying to point out a possible hidden talent with good draft value. Tired of "overvalued" high round picks, we are the worst. And i'm basing my info on a pro scout who is actually there watching the practices. What i do "love" is that the guy is a local product who grew up a Jet fan. I like the story if he pans out. But worth a look, thats all i'm saying

He is the fastest rising DE on the draft board. From what I heard from my friend who is there and works as an NFL scout there is a HUGE buzz around this kid and if we don't draft him somebody else will. Why not look into a local guy for value mid/late round pick? Tired of 1st round busts

Are you Mike Catapano's mom?

Are you Mike Catapano's mom?

no just a disgruntled Jets fan searching for a solution man....not any bodies mom no.....but i feel like a battered wife. I know i am in an abusive relationship but for some reason i can't leave :fighting0093: sucks...if not this kid then hopefully somebody...anybody who can get to the opposing QB.

I heard Catapano and Michigan lineman William Campbell seem to be the most impressive looking D line guys down in St Petersburg. Also worth a look may be Running Back Ray Graham on the east team. Since we don't have anybody in charge I say as fans we should stay informed. Call me crazy for losing trust but well...

he's got good height and size, the 40 and 3 cone is gonna be key. Maybe he sneaks into the 5th round and best case becomes a Jared Allen type of impact player. all that being said I don't see a position that's obvious for this player in Rex's 3-4 defense.

he's got good height and size, the 40 and 3 cone is gonna be key. Maybe he sneaks into the 5th round and best case becomes a Jared Allen type of impact player. all that being said I don't see a position that's obvious for this player in Rex's 3-4 defense.

Hey I'll take a Jarad Allen....need somebody on pass plays who can get there. I keep reading more good stuff today...just saw this on twitter on Catapano from this morning's East Team scrimmage...

1h Jeff Risdon ‏@JeffRisdon

Matt Catapano just ignored the RT & blew up a goal line rollout

Expand Reply Retweeted Favorite

1h Jeff Risdon ‏@JeffRisdon

More Matt Cat--beauty stunt got him clean shot on QB that would have been a safety, real quick laterally

Expand

A lot can happen between now and the draft, but right now this site has him as an undrafted free agent: http://www.nfldrafts...=2013&genpos=DE

If he does drop out of the draft, we have to feel pretty confident about signing him. His childhood dream was to play for the Jets. I think it may be worth it to risk letting him going undrafted, with a nod-wink understanding that we have a lot of holes on our roster and he has a spot on it. It would also give him the good ol' chip on the shoulder to prove us wrong, making him even better.

If he does drop out of the draft, we have to feel pretty confident about signing him. His childhood dream was to play for the Jets. I think it may be worth it to risk letting him going undrafted, with a nod-wink understanding that we have a lot of holes on our roster and he has a spot on it. It would also give him the good ol' chip on the shoulder to prove us wrong, making him even better.

It doesn't seem like he is going to drop but in fact from Shawn Zobel of Draftheadquarters.com (who is very well respected) it seems quite the opposite! Catapano may not fit our 3-4 scheme (not sure) but sounds pretty damn good...especially coming from an authority like Zobel.

"Among defensive linemen, I was more impressed with Princeton's Mike Catapano than anyone else out there. Catapano, whom his head coach has compared to San Francisco 49er Justin Smith, played with the type of aggression and high motor all morning that scouts love to see. Catapano, at 6'4, 270 currently looks the part of an end in the 4-3 defense. Watching the defensive line drills, Catapano was a very teachable player and one who picked up the drills quicker than anyone else. There's no doubt that he is on the rise this spring and I plan on taking a closer look at him."

http://draftheadquarters.com/Shrine-Game-Day-Two-Report.htm

Archived