•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Laron Landry

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Lupz27

Lupz27

2nd year player looking for a breakout season.

• Members
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

I know the Jets are strapped Cap wise, and Landry want's to get paid, but I think the Jets will, and need to get him locked up, and if it is true that Rex is pretty much calling the shots I would say it is a good bet the Jets get it done.

I know Tanny is gone, and the new GM might not want to continue to conduct business the same way contract wise, but the Jets could give him a smaller version of the Santonio Holmes Contract. Give him a 4 year injury protected incentive laden deal, all incentives are Injury related, no performance related incentives needed with Landry, if healthy he gives you everything he has got, and more sometimes to the chigrin of some coaches. Figure a 2013 base salary of like 1,000,000 with a prorated bonus of 4 million paid up front, but spread out over the 4 years cap wise, contract would be total of 4 years 25 million, 11.66 million guaranteed. 1st year a cap hit of only 2 million, 2014, cap hit of 7.66, 2015 non guaranteed cap hit of 7.66, and only 2 million dead cap hit if cut/traded/released, and 2016 cap hit of 7.68 million, and only a dead cap hit of 1 million if released.

He is guaranteed 2 years at roughly 12 million in this scenario all paid with in the 1st 2 seasons, and will be able to make another 13 million if he doesn't get hurt in years 3, and 4. I think this is a fair going rate for what Laron Landry is a top 10 SS, who if needed can play FS. Eric Weddle was regarded by far to be the best young Safety prior to the 2011/2012 season, and got 8 million per year, with 19 million guaranteed in comparison with NO injury history, or concerns.

Am I off base on these numbers? And only taking a 2 million 2013 cap hit even thou he is making 5 million in year 1 is very doable from the Jets financially. Or do some think he is going to try in hit the Eric Weddle HR, and ask for 5 years 40 million 20 million guaranteed, AND get someone to bite, I know he will at first obviously try to hit the HR, but in all reality he is still a big injury risk, and can't see anyone going higher than the numbers I posted above, and he will get somewhere in this neighberhood of what I posted above IMO.

Opinions? Maybe Jason could shed more light on if my above math is correct also in terms of cap hits, and what not.

#2 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,824 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Many have said there is no way the Jets get this contract done. I disagree, although the priority of the off season is offense, offense and more offense, this is a move the team will try to make. Laron was a huge reason why the Jets pass defense stepped up this year. You get Revis back and Laron will be even better next year.

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#3 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,546 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Yes. Let's tie up more money in the secondary! Landry is good but he's not worth what they're going to have to pay to keep him. If Rex is as good as he claims, he can find someone else to do the job much cheaper.

#4 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

trade Cro, keep Landry

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#5 Lupz27

Lupz27

• Members
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

trade Cro, keep Landry

This

#6 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,895 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I like him and would make a serious effort to keep him, but $25M? Ouch. I think I would pass.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#7 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,543 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

trade Cro, keep Landry

This.

Rex came here with a reputation for "loving CBs" and "knowing DL". So far we've seen Revis and Cro both thrive under Rex, Wilson appears to be a bust for a first rounder but he performs adequately enough for a 3rd CB.

The 2 CB tandem we have is our richest area of talent. It's also a position I'm confident our coach can replenish quickly. So it makes sense, at least to me, to trade either Cromartie or Revis for picks. Picks that can be used to bolster the rest of this thin roster.

I hate to break those 2 guys up, but I see it as a pretty low-risk roster move.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#8 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 38,520 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Meh, the pass D is Rex Ryan. Doesnt matter who you put back there at safety, Eric Smith, Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool, Kerry Rhodes - whoever - that he's always going to have one of the best pass D's in the league.

I love Landry. Him and Mo Wilk were my 2 favorite parts of this years team. But, who's to say he can stay healthy?
Posted Image

#9 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationI was up above it, now I'm down in it.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I know the Jets are strapped Cap wise, and Landry want's to get paid, but I think the Jets will, and need to get him locked up, and if it is true that Rex is pretty much calling the shots I would say it is a good bet the Jets get it done.

I know Tanny is gone, and the new GM might not want to continue to conduct business the same way contract wise, but the Jets could give him a smaller version of the Santonio Holmes Contract. Give him a 4 year injury protected incentive laden deal, all incentives are Injury related, no performance related incentives needed with Landry, if healthy he gives you everything he has got, and more sometimes to the chigrin of some coaches. Figure a 2013 base salary of like 1,000,000 with a prorated bonus of 4 million paid up front, but spread out over the 4 years cap wise, contract would be total of 4 years 25 million, 11.66 million guaranteed. 1st year a cap hit of only 2 million, 2014, cap hit of 7.66, 2015 non guaranteed cap hit of 7.66, and only 2 million dead cap hit if cut/traded/released, and 2016 cap hit of 7.68 million, and only a dead cap hit of 1 million if released.

He is guaranteed 2 years at roughly 12 million in this scenario all paid with in the 1st 2 seasons, and will be able to make another 13 million if he doesn't get hurt in years 3, and 4. I think this is a fair going rate for what Laron Landry is a top 10 SS, who if needed can play FS. Eric Weddle was regarded by far to be the best young Safety prior to the 2011/2012 season, and got 8 million per year, with 19 million guaranteed in comparison with NO injury history, or concerns.

Am I off base on these numbers? And only taking a 2 million 2013 cap hit even thou he is making 5 million in year 1 is very doable from the Jets financially. Or do some think he is going to try in hit the Eric Weddle HR, and ask for 5 years 40 million 20 million guaranteed, AND get someone to bite, I know he will at first obviously try to hit the HR, but in all reality he is still a big injury risk, and can't see anyone going higher than the numbers I posted above, and he will get somewhere in this neighberhood of what I posted above IMO.

Opinions? Maybe Jason could shed more light on if my above math is correct also in terms of cap hits, and what not.

great post.

#10 Ignatius del Sol

Ignatius del Sol

Practice Squad Player

• Banned
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

trade Cro, keep Landry

This

is lolbad.

#11 CotcheryifyouCan

CotcheryifyouCan

J-E-T-S

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

we all love landry. hes the best safety we have had in ages and there is just somthing about the way he approaches the game that is easy to like. If we get him back i will be pumped but I just think he will be too expensive to keep.

#12 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,543 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I will say this... Safety is the type of position you shouldn't have to overpay for in free agency, good safeties can be found in the draft, just like good RBs... we just happen to have a scouting department that has been historically bad at finding both positions.

Hopefully a new GM comes with new scouting and we can reverse this trend. There are only a few positions I personally believe you should routinely be willing to pay big FA money for, the rest should be cycled onto the roster through the draft.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#13 Lupz27

Lupz27

• Members
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

we all love landry. hes the best safety we have had in ages and there is just somthing about the way he approaches the game that is easy to like. If we get him back i will be pumped but I just think he will be too expensive to keep.

It's not my money I really don't care, and in the contract I laid out it is just 1 year of a high cap hit risk if he does get hurt, or doesn't pan out, and in 2014 (the year it has a guaranteed high cap hit) the Jets SHOULD be in a much better cap situation.

#14 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,790 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Unless there's a big time talent likeBrodney Pool available this offseason I guess we gotta try and bring him back

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#15 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,179 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

If the Jets sign Landry he is guaranteed to have a career ending ending injury the first time he steps on the field.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#16 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Re-sign Revis and Landry... no other moves for the offense.

#17 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Why would he sign here? - Unless we over pay, he did us a favour and we did him one. He got to showcase his skills and is ready for a pay day.
Our Defensive back field costs way to much already, and Revis is a major problem. We also have no GM and no QB. I would not sign and I'm a Jets fan.

#18 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Why would he sign here? - Unless we over pay, he did us a favour and we did him one. He got to showcase his skills and is ready for a pay day.
Our Defensive back field costs way to much already, and Revis is a major problem. We also have no GM and no QB. I would not sign and I'm a Jets fan.

He said he liked it here and said he wanted to work something out.

#19 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Whoever costs less between him and William Moore.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#20 Irish Jet

Irish Jet

• Members
  • 23,707 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I like him but no.

I wouldn't invest in him even if it was our biggest need. He's still a season ending injury waiting to happen and he's still a safety, too much invested in DB's as it is.

We took our year's rental of him and worked out for both, because that's all it was ever going to be.

#21 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

So... back to Eric Smith (who is expected to be let go) and...

#22 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

and....rounds 2-5 are rich with Safety talent this year.

Shoot, half a dozen of the safeties coming out this year were on our draft wish lists LAST year. (TJ Macdonald, Baccari Rambo, Ray Ray Armstrong, Robert Lester, Tyrann Mathieu, Tony Jefferson....etc)

Plus, this year has it's own newbie additions to compete with the returning Juniors of last year (Vaccaro, Reid, Elam, Amerson)
The question is what, of the combination of: Laron Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen, Eric Smith and unknown rookie, do we keep to field a healthy, competitive, and yet affordable pair of safeties?

Edited by Greenseed4, 15 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#23 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

and....rounds 2-5 are rich with Safety talent this year.

Shoot, half a dozen of the safeties coming out this year were on our draft wish lists LAST year. (TJ Macdonald, Baccari Rambo, Ray Ray Armstrong, Robert Lester, Tyrann Mathieu, Tony Jefferson....etc)

Plus, this year has it's own newbie additions to compete with the returning Juniors of last year (Vaccaro, Reid, Elam, Amerson)
The question is what, of the combination of: Laron Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen, Eric Smith and unknown rookie, do we keep to field a healthy, competitive, and yet affordable pair of safeties?

this is all true but with all the other positions lacking players, they should just sign Laron and focus the draft on other positions.

#24 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

this is all true but with all the other positions lacking players, they should just sign Laron and focus the draft on other positions.

I'm going to fight you on this one.

I think our team needs to start collecting players in the draft based on the strength of the draft. (i.e., draft a QB in QB-rich drafts; draft OL in OL-rich drafts; draft DBs in DB-rich drafts, etc.) I don't care who we have on roster.

Laron played extremely well last year (in a contract year), but this year, after getting a payday he'll be paid, and iffy. Bell is old, and iffy. Smith is expensive, and iffy. Bush/Allen are young, and iffy. Who really know what combination of current safeties on roster will be with us come August.

Lets continue to invest in our team's strengths rather than "fill" holes to complete the roster.

#25 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Laron played extremely well last year (in a contract year), but this year, after getting a payday he'll be paid, and iffy.

Landry is an elite player who the Jets were lucky enough to get on the cheap. they should keep him. There are alot of good safeties this year but none will go 5 overall or wherever Landry was drafted. Keep in mind that Rex works really well with Landry's at safety on his defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users