Laron Landry

Lupz27

I know the Jets are strapped Cap wise, and Landry want's to get paid, but I think the Jets will, and need to get him locked up, and if it is true that Rex is pretty much calling the shots I would say it is a good bet the Jets get it done.

I know Tanny is gone, and the new GM might not want to continue to conduct business the same way contract wise, but the Jets could give him a smaller version of the Santonio Holmes Contract. Give him a 4 year injury protected incentive laden deal, all incentives are Injury related, no performance related incentives needed with Landry, if healthy he gives you everything he has got, and more sometimes to the chigrin of some coaches. Figure a 2013 base salary of like 1,000,000 with a prorated bonus of 4 million paid up front, but spread out over the 4 years cap wise, contract would be total of 4 years 25 million, 11.66 million guaranteed. 1st year a cap hit of only 2 million, 2014, cap hit of 7.66, 2015 non guaranteed cap hit of 7.66, and only 2 million dead cap hit if cut/traded/released, and 2016 cap hit of 7.68 million, and only a dead cap hit of 1 million if released.

He is guaranteed 2 years at roughly 12 million in this scenario all paid with in the 1st 2 seasons, and will be able to make another 13 million if he doesn't get hurt in years 3, and 4. I think this is a fair going rate for what Laron Landry is a top 10 SS, who if needed can play FS. Eric Weddle was regarded by far to be the best young Safety prior to the 2011/2012 season, and got 8 million per year, with 19 million guaranteed in comparison with NO injury history, or concerns.

Am I off base on these numbers? And only taking a 2 million 2013 cap hit even thou he is making 5 million in year 1 is very doable from the Jets financially. Or do some think he is going to try in hit the Eric Weddle HR, and ask for 5 years 40 million 20 million guaranteed, AND get someone to bite, I know he will at first obviously try to hit the HR, but in all reality he is still a big injury risk, and can't see anyone going higher than the numbers I posted above, and he will get somewhere in this neighberhood of what I posted above IMO.

Opinions? Maybe Jason could shed more light on if my above math is correct also in terms of cap hits, and what not.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many have said there is no way the Jets get this contract done. I disagree, although the priority of the off season is offense, offense and more offense, this is a move the team will try to make. Laron was a huge reason why the Jets pass defense stepped up this year. You get Revis back and Laron will be even better next year.

trade Cro, keep Landry

This.

Rex came here with a reputation for "loving CBs" and "knowing DL". So far we've seen Revis and Cro both thrive under Rex, Wilson appears to be a bust for a first rounder but he performs adequately enough for a 3rd CB.

The 2 CB tandem we have is our richest area of talent. It's also a position I'm confident our coach can replenish quickly. So it makes sense, at least to me, to trade either Cromartie or Revis for picks. Picks that can be used to bolster the rest of this thin roster.

I hate to break those 2 guys up, but I see it as a pretty low-risk roster move.

Meh, the pass D is Rex Ryan. Doesnt matter who you put back there at safety, Eric Smith, Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool, Kerry Rhodes - whoever - that he's always going to have one of the best pass D's in the league.

I love Landry. Him and Mo Wilk were my 2 favorite parts of this years team. But, who's to say he can stay healthy?

I know the Jets are strapped Cap wise, and Landry want's to get paid, but I think the Jets will, and need to get him locked up, and if it is true that Rex is pretty much calling the shots I would say it is a good bet the Jets get it done.

I know Tanny is gone, and the new GM might not want to continue to conduct business the same way contract wise, but the Jets could give him a smaller version of the Santonio Holmes Contract. Give him a 4 year injury protected incentive laden deal, all incentives are Injury related, no performance related incentives needed with Landry, if healthy he gives you everything he has got, and more sometimes to the chigrin of some coaches. Figure a 2013 base salary of like 1,000,000 with a prorated bonus of 4 million paid up front, but spread out over the 4 years cap wise, contract would be total of 4 years 25 million, 11.66 million guaranteed. 1st year a cap hit of only 2 million, 2014, cap hit of 7.66, 2015 non guaranteed cap hit of 7.66, and only 2 million dead cap hit if cut/traded/released, and 2016 cap hit of 7.68 million, and only a dead cap hit of 1 million if released.

He is guaranteed 2 years at roughly 12 million in this scenario all paid with in the 1st 2 seasons, and will be able to make another 13 million if he doesn't get hurt in years 3, and 4. I think this is a fair going rate for what Laron Landry is a top 10 SS, who if needed can play FS. Eric Weddle was regarded by far to be the best young Safety prior to the 2011/2012 season, and got 8 million per year, with 19 million guaranteed in comparison with NO injury history, or concerns.

Am I off base on these numbers? And only taking a 2 million 2013 cap hit even thou he is making 5 million in year 1 is very doable from the Jets financially. Or do some think he is going to try in hit the Eric Weddle HR, and ask for 5 years 40 million 20 million guaranteed, AND get someone to bite, I know he will at first obviously try to hit the HR, but in all reality he is still a big injury risk, and can't see anyone going higher than the numbers I posted above, and he will get somewhere in this neighberhood of what I posted above IMO.

Opinions? Maybe Jason could shed more light on if my above math is correct also in terms of cap hits, and what not.

great post.

I will say this... Safety is the type of position you shouldn't have to overpay for in free agency, good safeties can be found in the draft, just like good RBs... we just happen to have a scouting department that has been historically bad at finding both positions.

Hopefully a new GM comes with new scouting and we can reverse this trend. There are only a few positions I personally believe you should routinely be willing to pay big FA money for, the rest should be cycled onto the roster through the draft.

we all love landry. hes the best safety we have had in ages and there is just somthing about the way he approaches the game that is easy to like. If we get him back i will be pumped but I just think he will be too expensive to keep.

It's not my money I really don't care, and in the contract I laid out it is just 1 year of a high cap hit risk if he does get hurt, or doesn't pan out, and in 2014 (the year it has a guaranteed high cap hit) the Jets SHOULD be in a much better cap situation.

Why would he sign here? - Unless we over pay, he did us a favour and we did him one. He got to showcase his skills and is ready for a pay day.

Our Defensive back field costs way to much already, and Revis is a major problem. We also have no GM and no QB. I would not sign and I'm a Jets fan.

Why would he sign here? - Unless we over pay, he did us a favour and we did him one. He got to showcase his skills and is ready for a pay day.

Our Defensive back field costs way to much already, and Revis is a major problem. We also have no GM and no QB. I would not sign and I'm a Jets fan.

He said he liked it here and said he wanted to work something out.

I like him but no.

I wouldn't invest in him even if it was our biggest need. He's still a season ending injury waiting to happen and he's still a safety, too much invested in DB's as it is.

We took our year's rental of him and worked out for both, because that's all it was ever going to be.

and....rounds 2-5 are rich with Safety talent this year.

Shoot, half a dozen of the safeties coming out this year were on our draft wish lists LAST year. (TJ Macdonald, Baccari Rambo, Ray Ray Armstrong, Robert Lester, Tyrann Mathieu, Tony Jefferson....etc)

Plus, this year has it's own newbie additions to compete with the returning Juniors of last year (Vaccaro, Reid, Elam, Amerson)

The question is what, of the combination of: Laron Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen, Eric Smith and unknown rookie, do we keep to field a healthy, competitive, and yet affordable pair of safeties?

and....rounds 2-5 are rich with Safety talent this year.

Shoot, half a dozen of the safeties coming out this year were on our draft wish lists LAST year. (TJ Macdonald, Baccari Rambo, Ray Ray Armstrong, Robert Lester, Tyrann Mathieu, Tony Jefferson....etc)

Plus, this year has it's own newbie additions to compete with the returning Juniors of last year (Vaccaro, Reid, Elam, Amerson)

The question is what, of the combination of: Laron Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen, Eric Smith and unknown rookie, do we keep to field a healthy, competitive, and yet affordable pair of safeties?

this is all true but with all the other positions lacking players, they should just sign Laron and focus the draft on other positions.

this is all true but with all the other positions lacking players, they should just sign Laron and focus the draft on other positions.

I'm going to fight you on this one.

I think our team needs to start collecting players in the draft based on the strength of the draft. (i.e., draft a QB in QB-rich drafts; draft OL in OL-rich drafts; draft DBs in DB-rich drafts, etc.) I don't care who we have on roster.

Laron played extremely well last year (in a contract year), but this year, after getting a payday he'll be paid, and iffy. Bell is old, and iffy. Smith is expensive, and iffy. Bush/Allen are young, and iffy. Who really know what combination of current safeties on roster will be with us come August.

Lets continue to invest in our team's strengths rather than "fill" holes to complete the roster.

Laron played extremely well last year (in a contract year), but this year, after getting a payday he'll be paid, and iffy.

Landry is an elite player who the Jets were lucky enough to get on the cheap. they should keep him. There are alot of good safeties this year but none will go 5 overall or wherever Landry was drafted. Keep in mind that Rex works really well with Landry's at safety on his defense.

I think he was drafted #6 overall, and for good reason; his skill set (even as a rookie) was phenomenal. Can we find a somewhat comparable talent in the middle rounds of the draft? Some other rookie to play near his level of production for less money, and less (health) risk?

It is a safety-strong draft. We can get a speedy, big-hitting safety sans the injury concerns for much less money.

I think he was drafted #6 overall, and for good reason; his skill set (even as a rookie) was phenomenal. Can we find a somewhat comparable talent in the middle rounds of the draft? Some other rookie to play near his level of production for less money, and less (health) risk?

It is a safety-strong draft. We can get a speedy, big-hitting safety sans the injury concerns for much less money.

define middle rounds. I don't think Eric Reid is gonna make it past late rd 1. You'll get a guy in the middle rounds but he won't be fast.

Strongly disagree. Low level FAs for need and draft BAP. Being allowed to focus the draft wherever is why you sign guys like Yeremiah Bell, not put $25M down on Landry. You can't simply throw a sh*tload of money at Laron Landry just so that you don't need to draft a safety. Then what do you do when you have no OGs under contract and Kenny Vaccaro is there in the 4th or 5th round? Draft a guard or draft Vaccaro and start Adrien Clarke 2.0?

define middle rounds. I don't think Eric Reid is gonna make it past late rd 1. You'll get a guy in the middle rounds but he won't be fast.

Middle rounds THIS year, would've been first or second round picks last year.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Landry back in the fold, but that shouldn't exclude passing on a talented safety in a later round.

As good as Landry's production was: 75 tackles, 9 PD, 2 Int, 4 FF, 1 TD. That sort of production doesn't warrant the price tag of three other roster spots, especially not in a safety-rich draft class.

on edit:

Sorry Bit, Middle rounds defined as rounds 3-5.

I will say this... Safety is the type of position you shouldn't have to overpay for in free agency, good safeties can be found in the draft, just like good RBs... we just happen to have a scouting department that has been historically bad at finding both positions.

Hopefully a new GM comes with new scouting and we can reverse this trend. There are only a few positions I personally believe you should routinely be willing to pay big FA money for, the rest should be cycled onto the roster through the draft.

Yes and no. Coleman and Rhodes both worked well, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bush was starting next year.

RBs... eh. You could do worse than Jordan, Washington, Powell, and Greene.

Strongly disagree. Low level FAs for need and draft BAP. Being allowed to focus the draft wherever is why you sign guys like Yeremiah Bell, not put $25M down on Landry. You can't simply throw a sh*tload of money at Laron Landry just so that you don't need to draft a safety. Then what do you do when you have no OGs under contract and Kenny Vaccaro is there in the 4th or 5th round? Draft a guard or draft Vaccaro and start Adrien Clarke 2.0?

Kenny Vaccaro is rumored to be the #1 safety in the land. He or Reid will go late 1. maybe both in that range. You are right if the Jets could get rd1 safeties in rd5 that would be awesome. But it's not gonna go that way. the guys in rd 5 are gonna be huge projects. like every other year.

As for guard, they can resign Moore for the same reason they could resign Landry... because they have other problems to fix in the draft. the offense is in shambles they can't draft safeties (or guards for that matter).

Kenny Vaccaro is rumored to be the #1 safety in the land. He or Reid will go late 1. maybe both in that range. You are right if the Jets could get rd1 safeties in rd5 that would be awesome. But it's not gonna go that way. the guys in rd 5 are gonna be huge projects. like every other year.

As for guard, they can resign Moore for the same reason they could resign Landry... because they have other problems to fix in the draft. the offense is in shambles they can't draft safeties (or guards for that matter).

My Vaccaro comment was an exaggeration for emphasis. You need to lock up every position. Then upgrade with the draft. They should resign guys cheap, but not spend huge money long term money on injury prone guys. I'm all for signing Landry, but the deal can't be too rich. If it is, let him walk and pay for somebody else. IMO the on field difference between Landry and Bell isn't $5M which is the difference in pay the OP is talking about.

Yes and no. Coleman and Rhodes both worked well, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bush was starting next year.

RBs... eh. You could do worse than Jordan, Washington, Powell, and Greene.

Jordan was the best RB we've drafted in the past 15 years. We never used him.

Washington was a kick returner, a far cry from a "good RB".

Greene stinks. Any RB in the NFL today that cannot catch the ball is worthless. It is a passing league. Powell might be good, remains to be seen. Jury is out.

Great, so we shoot for a guy say in round 3 that we think COULD be comparable to Landry (doubt any S in this draft is comparable to a healthy Landry never mind 3rd round).

Then what? Who else starts at S? Bush? Allen? Resign E Smith? IF we had another S on the roster who was signed, and projected to start, and be a competent starter, then yes let him walk, and try, and find his replacement, BUT we don't have a starting FS, or SS on the team, and the odds of drafting 2 that can start day 1 is silly to think UNLESS you WASTE 2, of your 1st 3 picks on a Safety, and that is not a very smart play!

The move here is to sign Landry, trade Cro, and try, and find a true FS prospect in rd 3, and bring in a cheap veteran who can hold the fort if prospect can't cut it year 1, and with Landry's versatillity to play both positions it opens up more options on which veteran cheap FA to sign.

And for all you why trade Cromartie people, 1st his value is at it's all time peak, yes including when we spent a 2nd rounder on him, the ideal trade is for a 2nd round 2014 pick, THAT escalates to a 1st RD pick if (insert conditions of the conditional pick agreement in the deal), just like we did to obtain him in 2010. Not to mention the Jets defense was at it's best when Revis was the only elite CB on the roster, hell he was the only talent at CB on the roster that year 2009, when Rex got Cromartie he got away from his overloaded blitz's that were either not picked up by the QB, and led to a sack, or a throw away, or if picked up it FORCED the proper read for the QB to be the WR Revis was covering, and that is a matchup the Jets, Ryan, and most Jets fans will take their chances on EVERY single time, Rex needs to have Cromartie taken away from him so he can get back to the 2009 version of his genius IMO.

Archived