the one thing i will miss about Tanny

Integrity28

"the New York Jets are now on the clock"

Regardless of his drafting record, you have to admit Trader Mike made the draft fun to watch for Jet fans. Not to imply it was good for the team, just from a pure entertainment.standpoint the draft was more exciting for us than most fans, with the.constant.moves and buzz...

"the New York Jets are now on the clock"

Regardless of his drafting record, you have to admit Trader Mike made the draft fun to watch for Jet fans. Not to imply it was good for the team, just from a pure entertainment.standpoint the draft was more exciting for us than most fans, with the.constant.moves and buzz...

So I'm guessing your the kind of guy that likes to play Bingo even if you never win. Good for you Ape.

So I'm guessing your the kind of guy that likes to play Bingo even if you never win. Good for you Ape.

Heh.

Come on Crusher... you can't deny that in the midst of a field of 32 teams, that the Jets fans in Radio City cast a Jets shadow on the whole day, and with Mike T here, it seems like every draft has this epic trade up moment that was exciting.

Not good for the franchise long-term, but exciting. You know, in that "we win the off-season!" kind of way. I don't know how to explain it... it just always felt like we had a horse in the race.

I think if we get a good GM, that has a philosophy for long term development of the roster, that will all go away. Which is a good thing... but it will make watching the draft boring. LOL

Could have been fun if we also had a scouting department where promotions weren't given out based on grading Shonn Greene a Vlad as 1st round talent

The success and failures of the scouting dept and Tanny is pretty well documented. I'm literally just talking about sitting on the couch, and listening to Kiper and such drone on-and-on about players, and then hearing the chime and seeing the team name at the bottom change from whoever to the NEW YORK JETS!!! Then you here, "There's been a trade."

Those moments were frequent with Mike, and awesome. I know it wasn't for the best of the franchise, but I flippin loved watching the draft the past few years because of this.

Heh.

Come on Crusher... you can't deny that in the midst of a field of 32 teams, that the Jets fans in Radio City cast a Jets shadow on the whole day, and with Mike T here, it seems like every draft has this epic trade up moment that was exciting.

Not good for the franchise long-term, but exciting. You know, in that "we win the off-season!" kind of way. I don't know how to explain it... it just always felt like we had a horse in the race.

I think if we get a good GM, that has a philosophy for long term development of the roster, that will all go away. Which is a good thing... but it will make watching the draft boring. LOL

Dude it's like being in the delivery room waiting for your child first child to be born. Your so excited that you and the woman you love have just produced a perfect reflection of your joint love. Then the kid is born a different race then either of you. Yes. Total blast.

Dude it's like being in the delivery room waiting for your child first child to be born. Your so excited that you and the woman you love have just produced a perfect reflection of your joint love. Then the kid is born a different race then either of you. Yes. Total blast.

This metaphor isn't as universally relatable as you think it is.

Woody + Tannenbaum mating = Sanchez.

Dwayne Robertson(perhaps more of Bradway, they are the same unit)

Vernon Gholston

Mark Sanchez

^^^ Not relevant to the thread topic.

I know the Jets are rife with draft blunders. I was just getting at how awesome that initial moment of finding out we traded up is... and Gholston wasn't a trade-up.

I was psyched about every one of those picks when they were made too... it is only in hindsight that they suck.

The success and failures of the scouting dept and Tanny is pretty well documented. I'm literally just talking about sitting on the couch, and listening to Kiper and such drone on-and-on about players, and then hearing the chime and seeing the team name at the bottom change from whoever to the NEW YORK JETS!!! Then you here, "There's been a trade."

Those moments were frequent with Mike, and awesome. I know it wasn't for the best of the franchise, but I flippin loved watching the draft the past few years because of this.

In 2009, nobody would be complaining today if we traded up to grab BJ Raji, or Mike Crabtree, the trade was an absolute steal in value for going from 17-5, but the player DRAFTED was the problem!

In 2009, nobody would be complaining today if we traded up to grab BJ Raji, or Mike Crabtree, the trade was an absolute steal in value for going from 17-5, but the player DRAFTED was the problem!

Of course, we know that now... but when we traded up for what I thought would be a franchise QB, damn was I psyched. It was awesome. Got even better when I saw we paid mostly in special teams players, and not entirely with picks.

I too enjoy watching the draft. But I would much rather be bored during the draft, than bored throughout the season because of squandered picks.

Look at Gaype throwing away all that hard-earned credibility. Go buy a Zephyr, Donnie.

Not sure what you are talking about Tom... about the credibility or the zephyr, tbh.

I was just saying that Tanny's irresponsible trading frenzies on draft day DID make it fun to watch. More fun than usual. I know what he did to the franchise, and with those picks. That's not what I was reflecting on though. Just the simple experience of watching the draft and having a "trader mike" giving us a rollercoaster ride. That's all.

I'm glad the rides over, I didn't think that much needed explaining.

I actually get what you're saying Ape. While it's often for the best of the franchise, it's definitely boring as sh*t to sit around waiting an hour for your teams' next draft pick to come and then next thing you know, your team is no longer on the clock as they just traded down and you just realized they don't have another pick for the rest of the day. On the flip side, sitting there and watching the top of the draft thinking it's going to be a while before you hear anything about your team and then suddenly, there they are sitting in the top 5, you can't help but have yourself a "holy sh*t!" moment, even if it turns out the long-term implications end up being nothing but bad.

Yeah lets trade up and give up valuable draft picks -I will miss that

Good grief. I'm not advocating poor draft philosophy or organization irresponsibility... I'm just acknowledging that the experience of watching the draft will not be what it was under Tanny, which was a thrill ride. Good or bad outcomes aside. He made it more interesting than usual. Since I can't undo his crappy picks, I can at least be honest and say I enjoyed watching the draft with him here. Hindsight being 20/20 sure, he screwed us, but most of us were LOVING it when it was happening... hell up here Belli was taking heat for NOT being more aggressive like Tanny 2 years ago before we imploded.

No wonder all people do here is argue... can't make a simple observation without people shoving agenda up your nostrils.

Not sure what you are talking about Tom... about the credibility or the zephyr, tbh.

I was just saying that Tanny's irresponsible trading frenzies on draft day DID make it fun to watch. More fun than usual. I know what he did to the franchise, and with those picks. That's not what I was reflecting on though. Just the simple experience of watching the draft and having a "trader mike" giving us a rollercoaster ride. That's all.

I'm glad the rides over, I didn't think that much needed explaining.

I'm kidding. We're friends.

I actually get what you're saying Ape. While it's often for the best of the franchise, it's definitely boring as sh*t to sit around waiting an hour for your teams' next draft pick to come and then next thing you know, your team is no longer on the clock as they just traded down and you just realized they don't have another pick for the rest of the day. On the flip side, sitting there and watching the top of the draft thinking it's going to be a while before you hear anything about your team and then suddenly, there they are sitting in the top 5, you can't help but have yourself a "holy sh*t!" moment, even if it turns out the long-term implications end up being nothing but bad.

Thank you. That's all I was getting at... he made it entertaining AT THE TIME.

I'm kidding. We're friends.

Still, I don't understand the zephyr crack... I figure it's an obscure pop culture reference, but from what? I'm not as old and defeated as you. I need to know these things so that I can crush the dreams of the generations behind me...

Truth.

Seriously though (Ape, is it?), there IS a part of me that is going to miss the razzle-dazzle of Tannenbaum's offseason circus. It seemed like every year for the last 6-7 years, our offseason "drought" of football was rewarded with (at minimum) a splashy FA signing, and def included some wild trading-up in the draft. EVERY offseason we could expect some new life in our jets through mis-fitted players with big names...New Toys every summer.

Now, we're most likely going to have to settle for a distribution of the riches throughout our roster, bringing the average player earnings, way down... and adopt a more blue-collar approach to fanhood. No more butterflies on draft days, no more splashy signings, (if anything it's more likely that we'll see some splashy pink slips), No more crazy extensions...just a solid roster of lunchbox toting players. And with it, a new JetNation of lunchbox toting fans. No more over-reactions, no more calling for heads, no more jeers, just a new understanding of our role in the league: to embrace mediocrity for a couple years.

It's a sad, sad day in Jetsville.

Thank you. That's all I was getting at... he made it entertaining AT THE TIME.

Exactly, besides it wasn't all bad either. Let's not forget, the Jets traded up for Revis too. Not a whole lot of complaints out there about that one. What made it even better is that at the time I don't remember there being many rumors going in about them being interested in moving up, like there were in 2009. That move definitely caught me completely off guard. I was hardly even paying attention to the TV and then I heard the roar of the crowd and looked over just in time to see Carolina's logo switch over to the Jets'.

And with it, a new JetNation of lunchbox toting fans. No more over-reactions, no more calling for heads, no more jeers, just a new understanding of our role in the league: to embrace mediocrity for a couple years.

LOL. I don't give a sh*t who is running this team or how they choose to do it, this will never ever EVER happen. I promise you that.

Seriously though (Ape, is it?), there IS a part of me that is going to miss the razzle-dazzle of Tannenbaum's offseason circus. It seemed like every year for the last 6-7 years, our offseason "drought" of football was rewarded with (at minimum) a splashy FA signing, and def included some wild trading-up in the draft. EVERY offseason we could expect some new life in our jets through mis-fitted players with big names...New Toys every summer.

Now, we're most likely going to have to settle for a distribution of the riches throughout our roster, bringing the average player earnings, way down... and adopt a more blue-collar approach to fanhood. No more butterflies on draft days, no more splashy signings, (if anything it's more likely that we'll see some splashy pink slips), No more crazy extensions...just a solid roster of lunchbox toting players. And with it, a new JetNation of lunchbox toting fans. No more over-reactions, no more calling for heads, no more jeers, just a new understanding of our role in the league: to embrace mediocrity for a couple years.

It's a sad, sad day in Jetsville.

Yes, you can call me Ape.

Just to add to the scale of anxiety... I get the same butterflies before our draft picks are announced that I do every single time our past 3 QBs have dropped back to pass over the past 7 seasons.

LOL. I don't give a sh*t who is running this team or how they choose to do it, this will never ever EVER happen. I promise you that.

You make it sound like no matter what, there will always be somebody: (1) complaining about the team (2) pointing fingers around our team (3) calling for a witch-hunt, or (4) unrealistically optimistic about the season....

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Yes, you can call me Ape.

Just to add to the scale of anxiety... I get the same butterflies before our draft picks are announced that I do every single time our past 3 QBs have dropped back to pass over the past 7 seasons.

I actually enjoy watching our defense play more than our offense. Less anxiety.

Archived