Who is left to build around?

Freemanm

trade revis for a #1 pick because he was burned a few times over the past 3 seasons???? lol. many good corners get burned that many times in 1 game

Yeah, well, he wasn't injured last year and the Jets were 8-8 and missed the playoffs. The Jets were 2-3 with him in the roster this year. The Jets still lost to the Steelers with him in there, right? Why is it that the Pats go to the SB and win the division year after year without Revis in their lineup? Yes, he could very well be the best corner in the NFL, but he is expensive to keep and really isn't a difference maker for the Jets at this point.

Is a first contract staring RB and a 2nd round pick, the Champ Bailey trade return, be enough for Revis in 2013? Vontae Davis and Cromartie got second round picks a half decade later for. Should/Could the Jets use Revis to get another player and a pick? Both CBs are a candidate for this question.

Is a first contract staring RB and a 2nd round pick, the Champ Bailey trade return, be enough for Revis in 2013? Vontae Davis and Cromartie got second round picks a half decade later for. Should/Could the Jets use Revis to get another player and a pick? Both CBs are a candidate for this question.

The Cardinals sent Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2nd round pick to Philly for Kevin Kolb.

Revis isn't a QB, but he is a "once in a generation" type player. If we could trade him for a (lesser) CB (albeit one with more talent than Kyle Wilson), yet whose contractual demands would allow us to keep Landry....and provide us with some draft picks to boot. I think we would have to consider that offer.

I would say the same applies for Cromartie, as both are able to shut-down WR1s, but the rake would be less impressive with Cro.

you cant win with a sh*tty QB. Good QBS win super bowls. Without a franchise QB we got nothing

god and people say rex's offensive philosophy is out dated

You really need reading comprehension buddy, I don't know how in the hell you read my post and take this message away from it.

Nothing is easy with the Jets. Its obviously more important to find the QB whichever way they chose and hope they get lucky but building weapons either way is obviously the way to stay competitive with sup par QB play. Which is easier? Finding the WR and RB's, clearly but its all masturbation if you dont have a QB.

I agree to an extent, but the reality is finding a QB is a catch all phrase.

The reality is, it is not easy to find one of those truly elite QB's, and often they need to be developed into that, which IMO takes the skill of recognizing them, the right coaching, the right players around them early, and more importantly, they need to have the work ethic and mental capacity for it.

SO, that being said, if a franchise sits around and waits for one of those guys, they are going to be setting themselves up for a lot of misery.

There is a relatively decent chance that this years SB winner will not have one of those elite QB's, as only Brady is left.

To me, that means you can win without an elite QB, although it obviously helps a lot and I would LOVE to get one.

You cannot win with a bad QB, or a bad offense, so if you need to go the middle road QB, and load up on talent around them, it can be done, probably easier than hoping to "get lucky" and get one of those truly elite.

That's the trade a Tannenbaum might prefer. I think a guy who's confident in his drafting ability would prefer straight up picks.

If they were to make a move for a RB, he'd have to be a stud, and he'd have to be young. Not a lot of shelf-life for those guys. I think I'd want a QB, a pass rusher, or the picks.

I say we do away with the FB position all together. Let Josh Baker get healthy and play TE/FB. His versatility will help fill out the other parts of the roster. Who knows, maybe we can use some of the Iso-DT plays that San Francisco plays (where NT Sopogoa lines up at FB).

I wouldn't approach it that way. I'd try to build my system around the talent I have. I think the FB position has been completely marginalized in the NFL. I wouldn't want a Terminator, per se, but give me a Jerald Sowell anytime. I've always liked the idea of fielding two RBs at once who are both a threat to run or catch the football.

I wouldn't approach it that way. I'd try to build my system around the talent I have. I think the FB position has been completely marginalized in the NFL. I wouldn't want a Terminator, per se, but give me a Jerald Sowell anytime. I've always liked the idea of fielding two RBs at once who are both a threat to run or catch the football.

I agree...like a Marcel Reece type of FB is a great asset if you can find it.

Stephen Hill has #1 NFL WR potential if he learns how to not be stonehands

If he did not run clean, crisp routes, I could see him correcting that and being a better receiver. Having stonehands when your primary purpose is to y'know...catch the ball, is another story altogether.

If he did not run clean, crisp routes, I could see him correcting that and being a better receiver. Having stonehands when your primary purpose is to y'know...catch the ball, is another story altogether.

You can coach routes and hands, but you can't coach size and speed. This kid was a project when he was drafted, and might be a project all next year, but I wouldn't give up on him prematurely. It will help him if the Jets resign Braylon. He and Edwards could be good influences on each other, actually.

You can coach routes and hands, but you can't coach size and speed. This kid was a project when he was drafted, and might be a project all next year, but I wouldn't give up on him prematurely. It will help him if the Jets resign Braylon. He and Edwards could be good influences on each other, actually.

I certainly wouldn't throw him on the trash heap because if he could catch he would be a major weapon and he did flash a little this year. Maybe my memory has faded with age, but I'm pretty sure I could have caught some of the passes that he dropped this year*.

* admittedly not with an NFL cornerback trying to plant his helmet in my chest

In what sense? He's a WR in the NFL who had the fastest 40 time at combine.

He's an athlete, he just cant catch. Which isnt good for a WR.

I should have said he's a good athlete on paper, not a WR.

He's slow out of his break, he's straight line fast after 10 yards, but doesnt have the lateral quickness to break press coverage and get open. He's not a guy that's going to make big plays with the ball in his hands within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. I see him as a guy you can throw the bomb to once a game or so and hope he comes down with it.

You really need reading comprehension buddy, I don't know how in the hell you read my post and take this message away from it.

i cant believe its been months and your still saying the "cant read" stuff

but your saying we should focus on getting better players around the qb because finding a elite qb is hard. Im assuming because your aj ets fan you want the jets to win so you think getting good players around a meh qb will make us win.

you build around a QB. Mediocre qbs are only good for losing games and getting good draft picks to hopefully find a good qb

Hilliard was a fullback. Conner was a fullback. Rather than sign a "fullback" or God-help-me, DRAFT one, I'd like to use a guy like Josh Baker who can play some FB, some TE, and help out on specials...for less money.

With limited resources this year, we're going to need to stress the value of versatility at our "marginalized" positions. That might mean the end of the "FB" position, and the re-emerging of the H-back position. I would love to see more double-RB plays, especially if they are threats in the passing game. I would love to see some triple-TE sets, especially if we find a TE who can be a running threat. We don't need a no-neck battering ram taking up a roster spot unless he can run like the wind, and make one-handed catches with his fingertips.

I should have said he's a good athlete on paper, not a WR.

He's slow out of his break, he's straight line fast after 10 yards, but doesnt have the lateral quickness to break press coverage and get open. He's not a guy that's going to make big plays with the ball in his hands within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. I see him as a guy you can throw the bomb to once a game or so and hope he comes down with it.

Yeah, my take is he's all athlete and no WR. Which makes him suck. He's a baby so maybe they can groom him but I'm not holding my breath.

Hilliard was a fullback. Conner was a fullback. Rather than sign a "fullback" or God-help-me, DRAFT one, I'd like to use a guy like Josh Baker who can play some FB, some TE, and help out on specials...for less money.

With limited resources this year, we're going to need to stress the value of versatility at our "marginalized" positions. That might mean the end of the "FB" position, and the re-emerging of the H-back position. I would love to see more double-RB plays, especially if they are threats in the passing game. I would love to see some triple-TE sets, especially if we find a TE who can be a running threat. We don't need a no-neck battering ram taking up a roster spot unless he can run like the wind, and make one-handed catches with his fingertips.

To be fair, Hilliard was an RB that they moved to FB and he supposedly could catch. He had a few blatant drops, but fits the kind of mold as Baker. I like Baker, but I think his injury was very severe and he was a borderline prospect to begin with. I'm not into burning a draft pick on a FB, but a guy in the 5th or later that is a serious special teamer isn't a problem in my book. Much prefer a FB that can catch. Conner didn't seem to excel in that department, but Sanchez never looked good throwing to any backs.

That's the trade a Tannenbaum might prefer. I think a guy who's confident in his drafting ability would prefer straight up picks.

If they were to make a move for a RB, he'd have to be a stud, and he'd have to be young. Not a lot of shelf-life for those guys. I think I'd want a QB, a pass rusher, or the picks.

Substitute RB for "first contract starter"....It doesn't have to be RB.

Do you think that and a 2nd would even be worth it?

To be fair, Hilliard was an RB that they moved to FB and he supposedly could catch. He had a few blatant drops, but fits the kind of mold as Baker. I like Baker, but I think his injury was very severe and he was a borderline prospect to begin with. I'm not into burning a draft pick on a FB, but a guy in the 5th or later that is a serious special teamer isn't a problem in my book. Much prefer a FB that can catch. Conner didn't seem to excel in that department, but Sanchez never looked good throwing to any backs.

To play a FB that rarely catches the ball is to signal to the opposing defense when you're running. Like when Schotty would line up Conner out wide, and then....oh wait! he's motioning in to block!! Nobody was surprised. Might as well get a defensive lineman like Pouha to come blast a hole on 4th and 1 to serve that purpose...and not take up an entire roster spot.

Now, if we could find a bigger bodied back who could serve multiple purposes like:

Anthony Dixon, who can pass block, lead block, or run the ball on his own merit (short yardage).

Marcell Reece, who is a dual threat, and actually started at RB when his team got banged up.

James Casey, who is listed on paper as TE/FB/HB (at least in my fantasy league).

No more pure FBs unless they are Mike Alstott good.

i cant believe its been months and your still saying the "cant read" stuff

but your saying we should focus on getting better players around the qb because finding a elite qb is hard. Im assuming because your aj ets fan you want the jets to win so you think getting good players around a meh qb will make us win.

you build around a QB. Mediocre qbs are only good for losing games and getting good draft picks to hopefully find a good qb

Were you dropped on your head as a baby?

Might as well get a defensive lineman like Pouha to come blast a hole on 4th and 1 to serve that purpose...and not take up an entire roster spot.

Pouha the 30+ year old DT who's blown out his knee should come in and lead block on offense? This isn't a rookie Haloti Ngata or college aged Jesse Williams here.

Archived