Yahoo: Mocking the Draft: Who Will the Jets Choose at No. 9?

F.Chowds

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't really see a lot of opportunities for the Jets to move back. Maybe if some team wants to take Fisher in the top 10 or Star/Milliner slips...but the teams who are behind the Jets don't seem that likely to be targeting positions the Jets don't want to take and teams behind them will.

Don't think Dallas is going to want to leapfrog the Titans to take Warmack at 9 for example but that's the only scenario I can think of that makes any sense from a "I have a need at this position and think the Titans/Chargers might want to take this guy" perspective.

Really? I think he's the best end in the class and goes 2 or 3 for sure.

Good, eliminates my least favorite of the pass rusher options.

Alright I'm being a little contrarian on Werner. He's a better athlete than I think, though still my third favorite at best amongst the pass rushers.

If we are talking about positions, the OL crop is real good. Besides Joekel there's Warmack (probably the best guard to come out for a decade) Fluker (stud RT) and at least 3 possible rd 1 LT (Eric Fisher, Oday Abushi and Lane Johnson). Not to mention Barrett Jones an all american at left tackle once upon a time.

as for the skills there are some real good wide outs. Keenan Allen, Cord. Patterson for example.

meanwhile The DE crop has about 2 or 3 legit studs (Moore, Werner and maybe Mongomery), Jarvis Jones who's back issue might drop him to 9 (or beyond) and then a bunch of tweeners and interesting names after the top 20 (Dion Jordan, Mingo, Lemonier, Brandon Jenkins, William Gholston etc).

Qb, RB and CB are real weak at the top end.

going by your best position theory the Jets should draft OL.

Bit - any chance the Jets could figure out a way to draft a brand new all Alabama right side of the line? I figure it would take a couple of moves - down from 9 but up from 41. The fastest way to make this team competitive is a dominant OL.

Bit - any chance the Jets could figure out a way to draft a brand new all Alabama right side of the line? I figure it would take a couple of moves - down from 9 but up from 41. The fastest way to make this team competitive is a dominant OL.

dj fluker measured like a beast today. 355 and not sloppy with 36' arms. He's the 2nd tackle on my board and could go higher than Warmack.

as for the Jets, Austin Howard is one of the only RFA starters, with the cap hell they are in, they can't draft a RT high and fill all their other holes. the new GM is gonna see he's got 10 starters under contract after all the dead weight is let go, Howard is one of the only cheap starters.

the board doesn't believe me but the OL wasn't an issue this year. it was the QB turning the ball over 50x in 2 years that's the problem. for example in the loss vs San Diego, Greg McElroy had the most time to throw out of all the QB's that week (according to PFF). and he was sacked 10x. Not the OL fault.

The hell you say. Sanchez stayed healthy all year.

I think Fluker is better than Fisher and Johnson but probably goes after both of them.

Joekel could go 1 overall. Fluker, Fisher and Johnson all solid rd1 guys. teams like SD or CHI desperately need these guys.

Eric Fisher blew up the Senior Bowl practice today.

There is speculation that he might have surpassed Luke Joekel as the #1 pick.

If either drop to the #9 spot, I would be hard-pressed to think that a new GM would pass on them. A startable LT, that could play RT...and provide LT insurance is just what this team needs in a down year.

Idzik helped develop a deep squad in Seattle, and I'm afraid of starting a year with D'Brick and Howard as our only tackles on roster, should anything happen to D'Brick (knock on wood) our entire season is done for. I say we play it safe in an OL deep year. DRAFT OL. Let the defense struggle. We can always sign an OLB in free agency (Anthony Spencer anybody?).

1st: Fisher

2nd: Fluker/Warmack

3rd: EJ Manuel

4th: Best RB

5th: Best S

6th: Best RB

7th: Best WR

Eric Fisher blew up the Senior Bowl practice today.

There is speculation that he might have surpassed Luke Joekel as the #1 pick.

If either drop to the #9 spot, I would be hard-pressed to think that a new GM would pass on them. A startable LT, that could play RT...and provide LT insurance is just what this team needs in a down year.

he won't pass joekel but he will be a DBrick like top 10 pick. and has no place on this team, that already has a Pro Bowl left tackle.

I like Mike Glennon. I like his size and arm talent. He seems to read the coverage pretty well. I think if you give this guy real weapons he could be a very good NFL QB. Oh, and by the way, he isn't Mark Sanchez. This would be a huge move by Idzik, but I'd be behind it.

No. He'll be picked too high. The earliest the Jets should be looking for a QB is round 3. These QBs are BAD.

he won't pass joekel but he will be a DBrick like top 10 pick. and has no place on this team, that already has a Pro Bowl left tackle.

Whatever. I say we put the "sniffers" on him, and let the league know/think we are interested in him. If we picked him up at #9 I wouldn't cry myself to sleep, as he would be a viable RT for us, and allow us to slide Howard in to guard and/or have 3 viable OT starters on the roster. Best case scenario, he drops to 9, and we can option to trade down because of our "interest"...pick up Fluker later in the 1st... and invest our additional 2nd or 3rd (the sweet spot of this draft) into the roster with a RB/WR/TE

Whatever. I say we put the "sniffers" on him, and let the league know/think we are interested in him. If we picked him up at #9 I wouldn't cry myself to sleep, as he would be a viable RT for us, and allow us to slide Howard in to guard and/or have 3 viable OT starters on the roster. Best case scenario, he drops to 9, and we can option to trade down because of our "interest"...pick up Fluker later in the 1st... and invest our additional 2nd or 3rd (the sweet spot of this draft) into the roster with a RB/WR/TE

or just keep Howard at RT and draft Warmack. Playing a left tackle out of position at right tackle isn't such a hot idea. they are almost 2 different positions totally.

or just keep Howard at RT and draft Warmack. Playing a left tackle out of position at right tackle isn't such a hot idea. they are almost 2 different positions totally.

What are your thoughts on Howard?

Warmack or Warford would be excellent OG options, the latter almost a guarantee to be there in the 2nd. My thinking is the team should have 3 viable starters at OT on the roster (in case of injury), 3 viable starters at OG on roster for the same reason, and 2 viable starters at OC. Drafting Fisher kills two birds with one stone. He is a plus pass blocker and a plus run blocker.

Fisher plus Fluker provides the team with viable starters, AND excellent depth.

(LT): D'Brick; (LG): Slauson/Ducasse;© Mango; (RG)Moore/Warmack/Warford/Howard/Fluker; (RT)Fluker/Howard/Fisher

I think we might want to do something about our zero viable linebackers before we start fixing what's not broken.

Our defense is fine. We have David Harris and Demario Davis manning the inside, with Josh Mauga (maybe coming back from injury). On the outside we have McIntyre and Sapp on roster. I'd like to think our single, splashy FA signing this year could be Anthony Spencer (DAL). That combined with our stacked D-line and secondary, should get us by in our tank year. We should absolutely stack our OL and skill players in a building year...especially in a strong draft for such.

On the outside we have McIntyre and Sapp on roster. I'd like to think our single, splashy FA signing this year could be Anthony Spencer (DAL).

Sapp doesn't even play. This bold statement is why the Jets are praying for Jarvis Jones to have terrible medical exams.

the Jets don't have money for a splash in FA. if they did, i'd support a Dwayne Bowe signing. but wouldn't bet on it. the signings are gonna be cheap.

Austin Howard gets exposed at times, he is a former free agent and has certain limitations. Guys like Von Miller are his worst nightmare, he can get out leveraged. I don't think he's great. But he's decent enough to win with, especially in run blocking. RB, WR, and TE are much worse problems. QB obviously is a worse problem too. OLB the cupboard is pretty bare.

LOL I said this in one of these threads. Warmack in 1st, Jones in the 2nd and Fluker in the 3rd or 4th. Fin. LOL. Hey never know. :)

Our defense is fine. We have David Harris and Demario Davis manning the inside, with Josh Mauga (maybe coming back from injury). On the outside we have McIntyre and Sapp on roster. I'd like to think our single, splashy FA signing this year could be Anthony Spencer (DAL). That combined with our stacked D-line and secondary, should get us by in our tank year. We should absolutely stack our OL and skill players in a building year...especially in a strong draft for such.

Yeah man no money for FA's and McIntyre + Sapp is very, very scary. I think they need to draft an OLB.

What are your thoughts on Howard?

Warmack or Warford would be excellent OG options, the latter almost a guarantee to be there in the 2nd. My thinking is the team should have 3 viable starters at OT on the roster (in case of injury), 3 viable starters at OG on roster for the same reason, and 2 viable starters at OC. Drafting Fisher kills two birds with one stone. He is a plus pass blocker and a plus run blocker.

Fisher plus Fluker provides the team with viable starters, AND excellent depth.

(LT): D'Brick; (LG): Slauson/Ducasse;© Mango; (RG)Moore/Warmack/Warford/Howard/Fluker; (RT)Fluker/Howard/Fisher

FYI Slauson and Moore are both FA's and if they picked Warmack at 9 it's because he's starting.

Sapp doesn't even play. This bold statement is why the Jets are praying for Jarvis Jones to have terrible medical exams.

the Jets don't have money for a splash in FA. if they did, i'd support a Dwayne Bowe signing. but wouldn't bet on it. the signings are gonna be cheap.

Austin Howard gets exposed at times, he is a former free agent and has certain limitations. Guys like Von Miller are his worst nightmare, he can get out leveraged. I don't think he's great. But he's decent enough to win with, especially in run blocking. RB, WR, and TE are much worse problems. QB obviously is a worse problem too. OLB the cupboard is pretty bare.

Sapp DIDN'T play. who knows what another offseason can bring him. The point is, having a stacked secondary and DL, means we can afford to have a slacker at LB...especially if we are in re-build mode. My worry is passing on a certainty (i.e., strong O-lineman) which adds value to the team for a gamble (i.e., Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Neo-Vernon Gholston)

I know we don't have much cap, but I'd rather scrap up what we have, configure some sort of agreeable salary, and spent that on a proven OLB

FYI Slauson and Moore are both FA's and if they picked Warmack at 9 it's because he's starting.

I would never draft Warmack at 9; I would prefer Warford in the 2nd, but if we did go out and get the draft's "BEST" OG I would hope to God we traded down to do such. I think having Ducasse, Slauson, and Moore is a blessing. Teams should have 3 viable starters on roster for OG. However, seeing as we will likely part with at least one of our guys, replacing him with a blue chip wouldn't be a horrible idea.

ps. Calling Ducasse a "viable starter" is a stretch, but we seem to be attached to the fella given his draft status and paycheck.

Sapp DIDN'T play. who knows what another offseason can bring him. The point is, having a stacked secondary and DL, means we can afford to have a slacker at LB...especially if we are in re-build mode. My worry is passing on a certainty (i.e., strong O-lineman) which adds value to the team for a gamble (i.e., Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Neo-Vernon Gholston)

I know we don't have much cap, but I'd rather scrap up what we have, configure some sort of agreeable salary, and spent that on a proven OLB

That was my argument last year...go with more of the sure things with OG Decastro 12/Warmack 13 instead of the pass rushers Coples/Ingram12/Mingo/Jordan13...and it's not a bad one. But at 9 that might be just a little too high for the OG when you can still possibly hit on the elite pass rusher. My personal preference is Mingo. People can bitch about only 5 sacks but dude had like 16 QB hurries and was all over the field all year.

I would never draft Warmack at 9; I would prefer Warford in the 2nd, but if we did go out and get the draft's "BEST" OG I would hope to God we traded down to do such. I think having Ducasse, Slauson, and Moore is a blessing. Teams should have 3 viable starters on roster for OG. However, seeing as we will likely part with at least one of our guys, replacing him with a blue chip wouldn't be a horrible idea.

ps. Calling Ducasse a "viable starter" is a stretch, but we seem to be attached to the fella given his draft status and paycheck.

ninja'd on the drafting the OG at 9. I'm with ya.

That was my argument last year...go with more of the sure things with OG Decastro 12/Warmack 13 instead of the pass rushers Coples/Ingram12/Mingo/Jordan13...and it's not a bad one. But at 9 that might be just a little too high for the OG when you can still possibly hit on the elite pass rusher. My personal preference is Mingo. People can bitch about only 5 sacks but dude had like 16 QB hurries and was all over the field all year.

I hear ya. Mingo is Mayock's #2 rated DE. I just don't see it. I've watched everything I can (albeit on youtube clips) and I just don't see the strength or speed that everyone else is raving about.

Then again I was a huge naysayer of Dion Jordan until I forced myself to like him. I think he'd be a GREAT tight-end, but a marginal pass rusher in the NFL...he's too slight of frame.

I hear ya. Mingo is Mayock's #2 rated DE. I just don't see it. I've watched everything I can (albeit on youtube clips) and I just don't see the strength or speed that everyone else is raving about.

Then again I was a huge naysayer of Dion Jordan until I forced myself to like him. I think he'd be a GREAT tight-end, but a marginal pass rusher in the NFL...he's too slight of frame.

I think Mingo is going to straight up beast in the NFL. Jmo. Jordan I'm not so sure of. But I like both a lot.

I think Mingo is going to straight up beast in the NFL. Jmo. Jordan I'm not so sure of. But I like both a lot.

Can you show me the right "tape" to watch then? which clip does he show his 'stuff' in, cuz I haven't found it yet.

please. and thanks

Can you show me the right "tape" to watch then? which clip does he show his 'stuff' in, cuz I haven't found it yet.

please. and thanks

You can watch any tape to see how explosive he is off the ball. He's playing along side a bunch of NFL caliber players and he's the first one off the ball and in the backfield almost every snap. But having the Clemson game still the freshest in my mine, we can use this one as an example.

You can watch any tape to see how explosive he is off the ball. He's playing along side a bunch of NFL caliber players and he's the first one off the ball and in the backfield almost every snap. But having the Clemson game still the freshest in my mine, we can use this one as an example.

Alright, alright....dude is quick. but he's soo slight of frame. I just don't see him pulling those moves on NFL RT's

Alright, alright....dude is quick. but he's soo slight of frame. I just don't see him pulling those moves on NFL RT's

So is Jordan. So is Jones...and Moore's only got about 10 pounds on these guys. Not to mention if anyone is top heavy it's Moore. Check out the ankles and calves on him holding that weight. Out of this group, at 6'5 Mingo is still clearly the most proportionate in my opinion. All this said Moore is probably the top guy but just saying.

My worry is passing on a certainty (i.e., strong O-lineman) which adds value to the team for a gamble (i.e., Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Neo-Vernon Gholston)

well free agency is in March the draft is in April, if they sign Spencer or Conner Barwin they clearly aren't expecting OLB at 9. There's a reasonable chance Jarvis Jones could drop. Mingo is interesting, if he runs sub 4.5 at Indy he might not even be there at 9. a guy like that has way more physical upside than Jarvis Jones.

if no OLB value the WRs are interesting, especially keenan allen who is supposedly perfect for a west coast offense. warmack would also be tough to pass on at 9 but I don't see how that fixes the offense.

I disagree with those stating there won't be any trade back options. I expect two QBs to be gone (Smith, Barkley), 3 top pass rushers (Jones, Moore, Werner), Luke Joeckel and Star Lotulelei.

That leaves a team wanting to trade up for the best CB in Miller, best S in Vaccaro, the 2nd best LT in Eric Fisher, with Banks and Johnathan Hankins in the mix. Last draft we had 5 teams who traded up to land their guy can't see how it would be unreasonable to see some one not want to trade up to draft top 10.

Archived