Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Lil Bit Special

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does this even mean? This is as comprehensively reported a piece of sports journalism as you'll find. It's not like Charles Robinson or Bruce Feldman or whoever is going to do some digging and find out that the girl actually was real after all.

Seriously, can't argue the bold at all. Considering how much hatred there is for sports journalism around here, it's pretty impressive and tough to dismiss the amount of work put into this piece. It's pretty clear they wanted to really be sure about this one and have all their bases covered before they went forward with reporting this, for obvious reason. Not to mention, this isn't a bunch of random speculation from unnamed sources, they are citing specific names and facts here. This whole thing is really kind of crazy.

And that's the problem. It took a hackney website like Deadpsin to uncover this. They don't have anything from ND or Te'o so the story is only really half told. It's told well, but it's only half told. In journalism, there needs to be a balance.

Notre Dame and Te'o were undera HUGE microscope and nothing about this came out at all. Something is going on here that is very weird and confusing. No one questioned it at all. It's damning of journalism.

All I am saying is let's wait and see when the whole story is told and then make opinions.

tablo-confused.gif

http://espn.go.com/c...apparently-hoax

Te'o's statement.

The internet is a dangerous place.

C'mon man, I always want to believe the best of people, but can you really buy into the notion that he talked to this girl for 8 hours on end, multiple nights a week and never had any idea? Even by dumbest of the dumb NFL standards, he'd have to brush his teeth with rocks to be this naive.

Edit: The only possible hint of hope he has out of this, is of people buying his squeaky-clean mormon image and that he fabricated the stories of meeting her and her family so as to not be embarrassed for never having actually met her. That just sounds like spin to me, but I guess we'll see.

Basically Teo is either really ****ed in the head or in the closet.

Yeah. Hard to believe he wasn't part of this, very unlikley he was pranked for this long. Further if NFL teams started asking questions this was going to come out. Remarkably stupid to do this. Don't care about religion, any 22/23 year old guy is going to want to "hang out" with his girlfriend in a relationship. It makes no goddamn sense.

So his side is he was hoaxed.

It would be terrible for him and the school if he's lying.

This story is going to be fun to watch develop further.

No 22 year old hetrosexual man talks to a girl on the phone for 8 hours numerous times over a year and fails to meet her. It's not plausible.

So what happened at the fake funeral? I don't get it.

I don't get most of the story. He's a popular player, before he became a heisman finalist. The story that came out last year was a part of his character. Him, Notre Dame, their fans, etc all used it as a heart warming story parts of the season. He even talked about it when asked questions.

Does the guy have no real close friends? I mean most guys would make fun of a friend who has an internet girlfriend they never meet or plan to meet. And 8 hours a day? Many people don't speak to their own girlfriends/boyfriends 8 hours a day when they live down the street.

The entire story makes no sense and now it's just even more out there. I just don't how any of it is true or makes sense. None of Teo's friends ever knew about this girl? None of Teo's coaches or relatives knew about this? If the girl was just some 'internet' fling he never would meet, is that really a girlfriend?

so

his story is

he met an internet person

and then went on TV saying his "girlfriend" died ?

wtf ?

head case

do not want

This is the part that's hard to swallow. If he never told anybody about this 'internet' girl, then why would he announce it to the media when she passed? I would assume if she was a secret nobody knew about before, makes little sense to suddenly tell everybody about her passing.

And how do you find out about a death, that never seemed to happen, if it was all some "internet" girl that you never met and never seemed to tell anybody else about?

Anyone listening to this presser? Don't know the channel 720 am somewhere around jersey

This guy calling him a victim

Nah... I was watching Islanders scrimmage. Im surprised at how quickly they came out to defend him.

What is really strange... they hold a press conference about a player's fake girlfriend that may be a hoax, but dont hold press conferences to discuss a rape by a player or the death of a student manager.

Nah... I was watching Islanders scrimmage. Im surprised at how quickly they came out to defend him.

What is really strange... they hold a press conference about a player's fake girlfriend that may be a hoax, but dont hold press conferences to discuss a rape by a player or the death of a student manager.

i lost the signal but was thinking the same. Don't know who was talking. His lawyer or Kelly or who?

What rape? You mean the alleged sexual assault that police and investigators found no basis for? Why would they have to have a press conference about that?

That said, ND is really sticking their neck out here, so they obviously believe the story. They don't have to do that, given that he's graduating and all. So that makes Manti's story more plausible.

Archived