Thomas Jones To Donate Brain To Science

Maxman

Where would the NFL be without players? So you think the helmets they wear are just for show?

lol. For every guy in the league that turns down their spot cause of the potential head injuries, there are a thousand more waiting in the wings that would take his spot for pennies on the dollar.

Is Thomas Jones really getting sh*t for donating his brain to science? Weirdos.

I think its a noble thing. I am not sure why people have a problem with that.

I am with you guys. There are a few thousand players that feel the NFL has been slow to protect players. Dangerous game, yes. But still the NFL could have done more along the way.

I am with you guys. There are a few thousand players that feel the NFL has been slow to protect players. Dangerous game, yes. But still the NFL could have done more along the way.

NFL is money oriented. All their "concern" for player safety and the new rules to do that is all done with the one and only one focus, that's how to play an 18 game season.

The research of brains of ex players can help give a lot of insight on what happens and how to cure it going forward. And its good to see so many players willing to help this cause.

I think its a noble thing. I am not sure why people have a problem with that.

Because Jones is an entitled nitwit who's never worked a day in his life who now wants to assert that he was victimized by playing the evil game of football even though he never once turned down a paycheck to do such a terrible thing.

I want one of these poor millionaires to walk into a blue collar bar on a Friday afternoon and tell one of the patrons--most of whom are beat to sh*t, uninsured, and make ~$50k in a good year--how lucky they are to never have played in the NFL because, you know, they don't have to deal with occasional headaches and depression. Sure those lucky, crippled masons and carpenters won't be able to retire at 35 years old with millions in the bank like an NFL guy, and they'll probably die swinging a hammer, but they'll never know the true horror of being exploited by rich, white billionaires for a decade.

Mike Webster died in a car over a decade ago. The idea that concussions are a mysterious, new issue to NFL players is a farce.

The next guy I'll believe on this topic is the guy who gets drafted in the first round, but turns around and leaves $30 mil on the table to go take a job stacking boxes at WalMart because he's afraid of concussions. But these jackasses that gladly filled their pockets with NFL gold don't get to turn around when the gold stops coming and act like someone held a gun to their head to take it, because they're hypocrites.

lol. For every guy in the league that turns down their spot cause of the potential head injuries, there are a thousand more waiting in the wings that would take his spot for pennies on the dollar.

Yea that wouldn't have any effect on the actual product on the field. You are spinning in place trying to prove a stupid point.

Monday morning QB much? The NFL fought hard not to have to acknowledge the head injuries, but hey who cares some players got rich.

Because Jones is an entitled nitwit who's never worked a day in his life who now wants to assert that he was victimized by playing the evil game of football even though he never once turned down a paycheck to do such a terrible thing.

I want one of these poor millionaires to walk into a blue collar bar on a Friday afternoon and tell one of the patrons--most of whom are beat to sh*t, uninsured, and make ~$50k in a good year--how lucky they are to never have played in the NFL because, you know, they don't have to deal with occasional headaches and depression. Sure those lucky, crippled masons and carpenters won't be able to retire at 35 years old with millions in the bank like an NFL guy, and they'll probably die swinging a hammer, but they'll never know the true horror of being exploited by rich, white billionaires for a decade.

Mike Webster died in a car over a decade ago. The idea that concussions are a mysterious, new issue to NFL players is a farce.

The next guy I'll believe on this topic is the guy who gets drafted in the first round, but turns around and leaves $30 mil on the table to go take a job stacking boxes at WalMart because he's afraid of concussions. But these jackasses that gladly filled their pockets with NFL gold don't get to turn around when the gold stops coming and act like someone held a gun to their head to take it, because they're hypocrites.

The idea that concussions are a mysterious, new issue to NFL players is a farce. I said as much myself. All this "concern" shown by the NFL now is to promote the 18 game season.

I understand the coal worker part. There are a ton of blue collar workers who die of work related injuries.And yes they do not get compensated well.

I do have a problem with the wealthy billionaire stiffing the working masses. Whether it's a football team owner, a coal mine owner or a Wall Street banker. So its natural to despise these wealthy leeches but not sure why we despise the rich. Usually riches are earned by having some special talent or working smart or putting your life on the line for that better livelihood. So i cannot despise the pro level rich players.

At the end of the day just because a player got rich playing a sport does not mean he cannot worry about injuries suffered while playing a sport. And that too injuries where not much is understood about how to cure these injuries or prevent them from happening completely while playing that sport. So if someone wants to contribute to that effort by donating his organs after death i see it as a noble contribution.

You work in a coal mine, you get the black lung.

Irony of this analogy in this thread is that, if I recall correctly, Thomas Jones' mother actually worked in a coal mine. But she (and her son) are black whether or not either worked in a coal mine, you insensitive, racist jerk. So I think you are as much an authority on black lungs as Derek Zoolander.

Irony of this analogy in this thread is that, if I recall correctly, Thomas Jones' mother actually worked in a coal mine. But she (and her son) are black whether or not either worked in a coal mine, you insensitive, racist jerk. So I think you are as much an authority on black lungs as Derek Zoolander.

Scared the sh*t out of me. I thought I threw in an unintentional racist thing there. Bastid.

At the end of the day just because a player got rich playing a sport does not mean he cannot worry about injuries suffered while playing a sport. And that too injuries where not much is understood about how to cure these injuries or prevent them from happening completely while playing that sport. So if someone wants to contribute to that effort by donating his organs after death i see it as a noble contribution.

He's producing a series called "The NFL: Gift...or CURSE?" Give me a break that he has noble intentions. Guaranteed the way this ended up in the paper in the first place is because Jones' agent sent a mass email out to every news source in an attempt to promote this project.

Yes, they'll find CTE in his brain. And Namath's brain. And Mike Golic's brain. And Brian Leetch's brain. And Manny Pacquiao's brain. And the guy in the street using a jackhammer's brain.

Is there some link between construction work and traumatic brain injury that I'm not aware of?

I hate to pull the old "have you ever used a jackhammer?" card, but have you ever used a jackhammer? Possibly the single most violent thing you'll experience next to being in a car crash.

no hix

So, does his brain go straight to the jar, or does it dance around for a while?

So, does his brain go straight to the jar, or does it dance around for a while?

it goes from jar to jar then it will get old and nobody will want it and goes to the trash

No one knew all the risks 12 years ago, nor today really. You have no idea if Jones would of been successful or not, you're talking out of your azz.

Do you really need a doctor to tell you that playing football can be wildly detrimental to your life, either at the time or later on? People pay the price with their health later in life for choices they make, and they are pretty much all common sense.

Do you really need a doctor to tell you that playing football can be wildly detrimental to your life, either at the time or later on? People pay the price with their health later in life for choices they make, and they are pretty much all common sense.

There are risks of course, but these players were denied care after their careers by the NFL, look it up.

There are risks of course, but these players were denied care after their careers by the NFL, look it up.

I think i remember reading how a lot of these players who don't have the money for healthcare took foolish advances on their pensions. Don't remember where I read that though.

He's producing a series called "The NFL: Gift...or CURSE?" Give me a break that he has noble intentions. Guaranteed the way this ended up in the paper in the first place is because Jones' agent sent a mass email out to every news source in an attempt to promote this project.

Yes, they'll find CTE in his brain. And Namath's brain. And Mike Golic's brain. And Brian Leetch's brain. And Manny Pacquiao's brain. And the guy in the street using a jackhammer's brain.

So you are saying he is promoting a movie. Not as noble but still see nothing wrong with that.

Its an unfair world. Some professions do not have the following some other professions have. We do not follow the exploits of a jackhammer's work or how he did in practice or whether he will stay on with the construction company or go to the rival organization. Not fair, but that's the way it is.

I think i remember reading how a lot of these players who don't have the money for healthcare took foolish advances on their pensions. Don't remember where I read that though.

The NFL denied former players for years hence the lawsuits.

Elite athletes are easy to replace right? You must love the Arena league.

You act as if we are talking about every single nfl player. The point is simple, try to keep up, if you are so worried about the head injuries no one is forcing you to play. Potential head injuries is a trade off for the money you earn and the ability to play a game you love instead of working a 9 to 5 for the rest of your life.

You act as if we are talking about every single nfl player. The point is simple, try to keep up, if you are so worried about the head injuries no one is forcing you to play. Potential head injuries is a trade off for the money you earn and the ability to play a game you love instead of working a 9 to 5 for the rest of your life.

The players have become bigger, stronger and faster yet the equipment they use has barely advanced. To pretend these players get by in the NFL because talent alone is naive to say the least. You don't think these players have trained and worked hard to not only get into the league but to also remain in the league is comical. Thomas Jones graduated from the University of Virginia and that's a very good school, yet you assume he would be incapable to get a "real" job?

Cab drivers should be highly paid too based on your theory of risk of injury with ones job.

The players have become bigger, stronger and faster yet the equipment they use has barely advanced. To pretend these players get by in the NFL because talent alone is naive to say the least. You don't think these players have trained and worked hard to not only get into the league but to also remain in the league is comical. Thomas Jones graduated from the University of Virginia and that's a very good school, yet you assume he would be incapable to get a "real" job?

Cab drivers should be highly paid too based on your theory of risk of injury with ones job.

Say what, chicken butt? Where did I say anything about them not working hard to remain in the league? roflsauce. Learn to read big boy.

aaand again, point goes over your head. Many of them, aren't that bright. Many of them went to the schools they went to based on football. I don't care about Thomas Jones. Never have. He may be a genius, but he may also be a complete tool. You miss the point.

I feel sorry for you.

Say what, chicken butt? Where did I say anything about them not working hard to remain in the league? roflsauce. Learn to read big boy.

aaand again, point goes over your head. Many of them, aren't that bright. Many of them went to the schools they went to based on football. I don't care about Thomas Jones. Never have. He may be a genius, but he may also be a complete tool. You miss the point.

I feel sorry for you.

You have a point?

Archived