John Idzik Named Jets GM - MERGED

fti1422

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i really don't know any of these guys roles in thier organizations, but definitely would've preferred someone from a scouting background. Why we are focusing in on business people makes no sense to me

Idzik's bio suggests he's a bit of both, which is why I wouldn't completely be against that hire, even if it wouldn't have been my first choice. I agree that I would have preferred someone with a scouting background, but I definitely much prefer him to a guy like Khan or some retread who we already know sucks like Angelo. If anything, Idzik probably has the most diverse resume, at least dabbling in pretty much all of the responsibilities of a GM at one point or another, so I could see why the Jets would be interested.

His bio from the Seahawks site:

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).

Bassett is saying the same...

Brian Bassett reports Seahawks executive John Idzik will be named general manager of the Jets.

A source has told us that Seattle VP of Administration, John Idzik will be the next GM for the New York Jets. While the Jets have not yet confirmed this news,

If this turns out to be true, expect a Florio article in the coming days that portrays Idzik as inept and unqualified.

I would be fine with Idzik. He seems to have the credentials to potentially be a really good general manager. Better to find somebody with good resume ready to make the jump than a retread who is a known mediocrity. I would also give Woody Johnson credit. Instead of making the mistake a lot of owners do by leaning on people they know, he opened up the search and committed to finding the best possible candidate for this team. How good Idzik will be is a question, but the process seemed sound.

Idzik's bio suggests he's a bit of both, which is why I wouldn't completely be against that hire, even if it wouldn't have been my first choice. I agree that I would have preferred someone with a scouting background, but I definitely much prefer him to a guy like Khan or some retread who we already know sucks like Angelo. If anything, Idzik probably has the most diverse resume, at least dabbling in pretty much all of the responsibilities of a GM at one point or another, so I could see why the Jets would be interested.

seattles roster is pretty good. But his headline is definitely business side

Who are you? And, more importantly, who are your sources?

All I wanted to do is come on here and Report some News about our Team and I get attacked for it, Thanks Pal for welcoming to this Site, All I can say thgats The Report I got Late Last Night

I dont reveal my Sources and You will see these Sources are Reliable!

Oh, I don't disagree with you, but at least he does have some past experience in the personnel side (specifically, came up the ladder working in pro personnel) and actually has a football background. So he's hardly a new Tanny. Again, not what I would consider to be ideal, but I certainly think he brings much more to the table than a guy like Khan. And like I said, he certainly has the most diverse resume of any of the candidates we've seen, as he's shown he can handle pretty much every aspect of the GM job to at least some extent. Of course, how well he can do that obviously remains to be seen.

All I wanted to do is come on here and Report some News about our Team and I get attacked for it, Thanks Pal for welcoming to this Site, All I can say thgats The Report I got Late Last Night

That is an attack? He just asked. Look at what we do to each other around here. Those are attacks.

kitty has claws

If Idzik is allowed to flip the staff this season, then this could turn into a really good hire. I'll be really interested to see who he brings in to run the personnel department.

Just based on timing, I wouldn't expect a complete overhaul immediately. He'll probably bring in a few guys, but you're looking at too small of a time frame to completely change over the group before the draft. More often than not you see big changes (outside of GM) happen after the draft. I'd bet that Bradway & Co. will stick around at least until then, but it will be interesting to see what happens after that (hopefully a lot).

WHY DO I GET BLAMED EVERY TIME

Hey TOM Shane How ya doin man! member me? I still blame you for stealing my girl GangGreenGirl. its all in dah pass now.

dude! I got wacked from JI posterboard. For no real reason. Mod name Crashareno wack me, talkin bout how I am

spamming the board cause I replied to the GM thread. thats some bull#$%. I kinda believe he's on his period again.

Hey TOM Shane How ya doin man! member me? I still blame you for stealing my girl GangGreenGirl. its all in dah pass now.

dude! I got wacked from JI posterboard. For no real reason. Mod name Crashareno wack me, talkin bout how I am

spamming the board cause I replied to the GM thread. thats some bull#$%. I kinda believe he's on his period again.

You should totally start a thread about it.

If Idzik is allowed to flip the staff this season, then this could turn into a really good hire. I'll be really interested to see who he brings in to run the personnel department.

I'm really interested that your interested

I wasn't attacking you, Dude, I seriously wanted to know! Lol!

You're very welcome to the site! Probably the best place on the web to develop Internet calluses.

His bio from the Seahawks site:

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).

A couple things I really like about this: He has won, he's an offensive guy, he seems experienced, and he's from a football family. Let's hope out of the three finalists, he is the guy we go with.

A couple things I really like about this: He has won, he's an offensive guy, he seems experienced, and he's from a football family. Let's hope out of the three finalists, he is the guy we go with.

I agree. For whatever it's worth, he was probably my favorite out of him, Khan, Sundquist, and Cohen. As I said earlier in the thread, there are parallels to Gamble, my (the?) early favorite.

Seattle has done surprisingly well getting talent. They built their entire secondary in two years...now #6 ranked pass defense...and they only have one DB that was a 1st round pick; Jets DBs = 4 of 5 selected in the 1st rd.

2010:

Earl Thomas = 14th overall

Kam Chancellor = 5th round pick

2011:

Sherman = 5th round pick

Browning = Undrafted

FYI, "ganggreengirl" just lost her battle with cancer after a heoric battle with leukemia.

Archived