John Idzik Named Jets GM - MERGED

fti1422

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks.

I did read that. I need to clarify. I do not know his contributions or involvements or accomplishments in his job. Was hethe guy who was rooting to pick Russell Wilson while everyone in the Seahawks draft room was gainst the pick OR was he the guy that crafted that ultra beneficial signing for the Seahawks for the right amount of money OR was he even employee of the month in one of his jobs. I dunno. The resume does make him sound like a seasoned FO admin guy.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, tough for us to know any of that but hopefully the Jets did their due diligence there. Of the guys listed amongst the finalists, I'd say his resume sounded the best but there's only so much you can take from that.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, tough for us to know any of that but hopefully the Jets did their due diligence there. Of the guys listed amongst the finalists, I'd say his resume sounded the best but there's only so much you can take from that.

Thats true it sounded like a seasoned resume. But what he is really capable of remains to be seen.

Hubbuch on the FAN saying that Idzik isn't overly gung-ho about leaving Seattle. It'd be funny if he turned Woody down at this point.

I'd laugh, I almost hope it's Cohen at this point. If we promote from within the sh*t show they can still scrap it when this year is the inevitable disaster we know it's going to be. It's obvious no real candidate is interested the way things are structured now and if I had worked my entire life for this opportunity I'd probably pass also.

The New York Jets' long, winding search for a general manager might finally be nearing an end.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Thursday that Seahawks vice president of football administration John Idzik is expected to be offered the New York Jets general manager job, according to Seahawks sources. Seattle lost their defensive coordinator Gus Bradley to the Jacksonville Jaguars, and it sounds like they may lose a front office member too.

It's now up to Idzik whether he wants to take on the challenge of rebuilding one of the shakiest offenses in football.The Jets have struggled to fill the position. Some top candidates have taken jobs elsewhere. Others have reportedly pulled out of the running. Fox Sports inside and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported that Jets were having trouble "giving the job away." Rex Ryan was not involved in interviews with the prospective general managers.

http://www.nfl.com/n...zik-gm-position

Is 3 weeks considered a long time to make a decision that is as important as this?

Before jumping to conclusions, here's a piece about our potential new GM:

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/getting-to-know-john-idzik/

Getting To Know: John Idzik

January 17th, 2013 9:20 pm

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about candidate John Idzik and his qualifications for the Jets’ general manager job so lets try and break down what we know as best as we can…

Obviously what stands out about Idzik is his most recent venture with the Seattle Seahawks. Idzik joined Seattle in 2007 and has served as their vice president of football administration. His daily responsibilities include managing the team’s salary cap and personnel transactions, taking part in negotiations, and partaking in player evaluations. Per Field Gulls, SB Nation’s blog dedicated to covering the Seahawks, Albert Breer stated that his function as a talent evaluator was indeed true and that Seattle had been utilizing him in that role more and more recently.

Prior his gig in Seattle, Idzik was tabbed as the Arizona Cardinals’ senior director of football operations, a position that is highlighted by evaluating talent…just ask Tom Telesco who left the same position with the Colts and was a part of Indianapolis’ drafts since 1998 in varying capacities. As you know by now, the Cardinals went on their Super Bowl run in Idzik’s final year with the team. However, before his Arizona days, he spent 11 seasons in Tampa Bay. He started out as a Pro Personnel assistant before being promoted as the director of football administration in 1996. He served as assistant general manager for three years which coincided with the Buccaneers’ Super Bowl bid.

A further look back reveals that Idzik is no stranger to the football fields having served a graduate assistant at his alma mater (Duke) working with the offensive line and running backs and had a brief stint offensive backfield coach with the Aberdeen Oilers and spent a year as the receivers coach at the State University of N.Y. (Buffalo) in 1982. Idzik grew up around football as his father, John Sr., served as a coach in multiple leagues for years including here in New York as the offensive coordinator from 1976 to 1979. The junior Idzik also played wide receiver at Dartmouth while earning his bachelor’s degree in mathematics. He later earned his master’s degree in liberal studies at Duke.

Yes, it is true, Idzik does have experience with the salary cap however, he didn’t fall off the wagon yesterday and is well-versed in personnel matters. He also is likely to bring with him a valuable asset to the Jets in Jack Mula who will help construct a game plan for the franchise’s future. The significance of this name is undoubtedly lost on many of you as it was me until I found out that Mula was one of the main architects that crafted the Patriots teams that won three Super Bowls as Chris Gross of Turn On The Jets astutely pointed out here, here and here.

Do we expect all of the Jets’ problems to be cured all at once? No. But based on Idzik’s background, should he be hired, you’re not getting another “cap guy” or an “idiot” or “Mike Tannenbaum 2.0″. In fact, I’d wager to say he’s the furthest thing from Trader Mike. Unlike Idzik, Tannenbaum didn’t play football, he didn’t coach at any level, and aside from his early post-college years as an intern where he worked in the personnel departments of the Saints and Browns, he was always in an executive role dealing with the salary cap and player contracts. So forgive me if the comparisons between the two don’t hold weight in my eyes but I’m seeing two completely different people with vastly different backgrounds.

This ain't Talladega Nights sir.

They didn't get who they wanted, the guy went to Jacksonville, the other guy they wanted, seemed to be a bad interviewer or had a fake resume and it became obvious when he interviewed with teams. So really, it's not about the Jets taking time, it's more about, they wanted a couple of candidates those people either didn't want to come, somebody else scooped them up, or they were just not what was sold.

So in the end, they had to scramble. The truth is, they should have known who they wanted to interview a long time ago. None of these guys lately have been GMs for other organizations. So it wasn't like they had to steal these people away. They might have had to wait for the Seattle guy, but when companies interview for these high profile positions, they already know long in advance who they want or think they want. It's more about time frames lining up.

If the Seattle guy declines, it comes down to Kahn at this point. Why did it take 3+ weeks to hire a guy who isn't even an assistant GM?

Smart franchises would have had this done 20 days ago.

Yup, one of the pluses that Idzik could bring is if Rex gets sh*t canned after this year, and Darrell Bevell doesn't get a HC gig this season (as of now it doesn't look like he will) Idzik could give us the inside track on him. Well it's a plus in my eyes anyway because I like what Bevell has accomplished offensively in his career.

Also looks like G Roman will be available as HC next year to, but I don't think that's because he wasn't interested, I think teams don't actually like him that much.

If Idzik didn't want to leave Seattle then why the **** is he interviewing? Sounds to me like the Jets want him and they are working out compensation.

Wouldn't surprise me. Weed is legal in Washington and he looks a hell of a lot like Kevin Nealon. 200712weeds2.jpg

Suspect Wrecks Ryan told Woody Johnson either George Kokonis or Eric DeCosta from his Baltimore days would jump at the job.

Neither even interviewed.

Even the guys who Wrecks claimed would want to work withn him want nothing to do with him.

If Idzik didn't want to leave Seattle then why the **** is he interviewing? Sounds to me like the Jets want him and they are working out compensation.

apparently just to see if he could get it. going on multiple interviews with billionaires and wasting their time is a good career move.

Suspect Wrecks Ryan told Woody Johnson either George Kokonis or Eric DeCosta from his Baltimore days would jump at the job.

Neither even interviewed.

Even the guys who Wrecks claimed would want to work withn him want nothing to do with him.

Weird, your first sentence is pure conjecture. Your second sentence portrays the first sentence as fact.

That's a pretty big jump, if you ask me.

Archived