Bart Scott talks about Jets

faba

Bart Scott: Jets’ problem is we don’t have enough good players

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2013, 7:41 AM EST

AP

Jets linebacker Bart Scott says the problem with the team in 2012 is easy to explain: A lack of talent.

Scott said on Inside the NFL that there’s nothing hard to understand about why the Jets went 6-10. That’s what happens when your personnel doesn’t match up with your opponents.

“You know what the problem was with the New York Jets this year? We didn’t have enough quality players to win. Simple as that,” Scott said, via Conor Orr of the Star-Ledger.

If Scott’s assessment is right, the decision to fire G.M. Mike Tannenbaum was correct. And the next general manager will have a difficult task ahead of him.

But Scott said there’s another problem facing the Jets: The media attacks wore the team down. Scott said the New York media go harder on the Jets than on the Giants, and that they crossed the line by, among other things, following Rex Ryan on vacation and taking pictures of his tattoo.

“I didn’t like the personal attacks,” Scott said. “A quick example now is the media following Rex down to the Bahamas. I mean, who does that? . . . I can’t imagine them going out and catching Tom Coughlin laid out. . . . We are in the same town but we are covered differently.”

One thing Scott should know by now is that the press is more likely to be critical when a team is losing. So the media coverage will get more favorable as soon as the Jets get more good players.

While Scott isn't wrong about the media coverage being different, if that affected the way the players performed on the field that is really ****ing pathetic. What a sorry ass excuse.

Although it is interesting to hear a player admit the issues with lack of talent on a team, particularly when he himself is one of the guilty parties there (although I'm sure he doesn't see it that way).

Well, Bart, here's another difference between the Jets and the Giants, in case you haven't noticed. The Giants have won two superbowls in the past five years, and the Jets haven't made the playoffs in the past two. As far as media coverage, yes, the NY media is often ridiculous in its coverage, but everyone knows that going in. It might get a lot easier when Rex stops making Superbowl predictions, especially when his best player goes down with a season ending injury (remember when Rex wouldn't put Revis on IR "in case we go to the Superbowl?), and Woody stops signing players like Tim Tebow for the sole purpose of getting headlines.

I suggest, Bart, that you carefully listen to the Giants slogan from the year they won the Superbowl: "Shut up and play..."

Didn't the media follow Rex Ryan AFTER the season? Hoe did that affect them during the season?

What Bart is also telling you, when he says the media affects their play-that they are soft mentally.

Isn't this the coach that told us he "loves being the underdog and having people and the media underestimate them"? His team doesn't feel the same way.

Soft?

While Scott isn't wrong about the media coverage being different, if that affected the way the players performed on the field that is really ****ing pathetic. What a sorry ass excuse.

Although it is interesting to hear a player admit the issues with lack of talent on a team, particularly when he himself is one of the guilty parties there (although I'm sure he doesn't see it that way).

Completely agree.

Big. Mouthy. Tough. Bart Scott... whining about media coverage being unfair. The longer this guy is around, the more I see why Rex adores him. They both have the same personality. Talk tough. Get punched in the mouth by adversity and they blame everything under the sun, rather than being accountable on their own.

“I didn’t like the personal attacks,” Scott said.

What a mellowdramatic pussy. If this is the type of guy setting the tone for the lockerroom it's no wonder this team likes to quit and start pointing fingers. All it takes is one person to bring this mindset to a team. Can't wait until he's gone.

This team needs talent. It also needs a different psyche.

I suggest, Bart, that you carefully listen to the Giants slogan from the year they won the Superbowl: "Shut up and play..."

The Giants don't come close to following their own mantra...not even close. They talk trash like the rest of the league. The main difference is that Coughlin doesn't say a whole lot, but their players certainly do. Rolle never seems to shut up.

Btw, Bart also mentioned that he had a torn ligament in his toe and was getting surgery to repair it. I'm not trying to dissolve him of any blame, but the guy did play like 12 or 13 weeks with that toe. I'm sure that had some affect on his running ability. At that point it's really up to Rex to realize it was slowing him down and put the rookie in or someone else.

Rex Ryan brings the extra media attention on himself and his team with the way he conducts himself.

And that is why the Jets are covered differently than the Giants..

This is what you get when you encourage everyone in your organization "to be yourself" and talk with no filters on what you say.

It's fine when you're winning, but when you're losing, the media are like sharks ... frenzied when there is blood in the water, especially when you're a "cocky" team.

Completely agree.

Big. Mouthy. Tough. Bart Scott... whining about media coverage being unfair. The longer this guy is around, the more I see why Rex adores him. They both have the same personality. Talk tough. Get punched in the mouth by adversity and they blame everything under the sun, rather than being accountable on their own.

No idea what you mean here. Rex almost always accepts the blame.

Rex Ryan is not why coverage is different v it always has been. The likes of Rich Cimini are not near the quality of reporter the giants get. The media outlets use the jets as a training ground and then promote those writers to the giants. There are plenty of examples. Cimini never got the opportunity and is bitter.

So while Rex Ryan can be his own worse enemy, this has been going on for decades.

No idea what you mean here. Rex almost always accepts the blame.

No he doesn't. Saying "that's on me" 100x in a press conference is a far cry from everyone around you being fired for the failures of the team you are HC of.

He gives lip-service to it while passing the buck in every way possible. For example, when every other team has a "next man up" philosophy, Rex blames 2 injuries for a completely lost season.

Archived