Marty Mornhinwheg to be named OC

Matt39

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My statement was tongue in cheek.

But as i said yesterday in some thread that while we know Idzik's bio we do not know his accomplishments. So we will have to see.

I am surprised by the Mornhinwheg hiring. But we will see what he has to work with when the season starts.

I knew you were being facetious. So was I, to an extent.

It is always hard to tell about second fiddles, as far as their accomplishments. You have to project. I am happy that this is over, although the Morninhweig thing leaves me uneasy. I do not like WCOs. And I am sure Andy Reid ran the show in Philly.

Landry Jones (has similarities to Folk physically, I like him better mentally) or Tyler Bray or Zac Dysert in the not first please.

Jones could do really well here with Mornhinweg.

Not big on Jones (can't handle pressure) or Bray (goofy throwing motion and generally seems to be an ass) but Dysert I could dig day two. Make it happen. Impressive game against tOSU given his supporting cast.

Tyler Wilson would be cool too if he lasts that long.

I like how today went. Get rid of Sanchez, trade one of the CB's, let the defense do its thing and get an average offense up and running. Wow, that felt good.

Yes, please.

He was also the OC under Steve Mariucci in SF, and had good offenses there. In Detroit, he had one year with Charlie Batch, one with Joey Harrington, and he was fired. Tough to judge that. Not like they were a powerhouse before his arrival. Then went to Philly and ran the same offense he and Andy Reid have always run.

I freely admit I probably wouldn't've gone after a WCO guy, but he does have a lot of previous success -whether you want to give him credit or not- and the experience, to run that side of the ball unassisted.

I hate the WCO, hate it, and I don't think he is a good example of it

Jets haven't had a QB as physically gifted as Jones since Vinny T (well, Favre for 8 games or w/e it was).

Of the three I like Dysert most as well. Lots of likable things about him.

The man former posting as CBNY, Tony Pauline, had this to say about Dysert:

Smart, tough signal caller with a terrific feel for the position. Possesses enough arm strength to start at the next level.

and...JN will love this one, feel free to overreact:

decent arm- not a great arm...lgreat head, intangibles, accuracy...dare i say it??? a lot like Chad Pennington (whom i liked)....

The things Dysert has in his favor is that he's both bigger and taller than Pennington (or anyone that QB'd the Jets in the 2000s). He's more experience than Sanchez, and has proven multiple times that he is a high% passer. The kicker to me was that he's a good athlete in le pocket.

I hate the WCO, hate it, and I don't think he is a good example of it

Haven't you been one of the biggest critics of Rex's ground-n-pound philosophy and running the ball to open up the pass?? This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Rex has been running, I figured you would have liked it. Stretch the defense out with short, well-timed routes that will set up the vertical passing lanes and running game.

Jets haven't had a QB as physically gifted as Jones since Vinny T (well, Favre for 8 games or w/e it was).

Of the three I like Dysert most as well. Lots of likable things about him.

The man former posting as CBNY, Tony Pauline, had this to say about Dysert:

and...JN will love this one, feel free to overreact:

The things Dysert has in his favor is that he's both bigger and taller than Pennington (or anyone that QB'd the Jets in the 2000s). He's more experience than Sanchez, and has proven multiple times that he is a high% passer. The kicker to me was that he's a good athlete in le pocket.

Yeah, Pennington couldn't push the ball downfield but also didn't have much zip on his balls after those surgeries which was really his downfall. You don't need to be able to throw the ball 65 yards downfield, but you have to be able to get an out to the sideline without DB's being able to jump it easily. Dysert looks to have plenty of zip and a good feel for the position. Nice mobility too. Will be interesting to see how he does at the Senior Bowl, but he looks like a good WCO fit. I also tend to like guys who haven't played with elite talent in college but still look good. Shows they're not completely benefitting from their supporting cast.

Completely off topic, the WCO might mean we finally get a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield. So that's awesome. Also may or may not mean the end of Keller (I think it will, especially with the cap space issues), but it shouldn't be too hard to find a TE. Eagles made it work without an elite talent at the position for years.

Jets are a team with no QB that just hired an OC who runs a QB driven offense. Granted, it's a system that's supposed to make it easier on the QB, but still, it's gonna be very interesting to see what they try to do at the position this offseason. Options are very limited, and the Vick option does nothing for me.

I do like the fact that he's a QB coach, too, who's worked with some good QBs - and some bad ones. He should bring good perspective there, and hopefully some skill.

I think 2013's offense is going to look very round hole/square peg, though.

Haven't you been one of the biggest critics of Rex's ground-n-pound philosophy and running the ball to open up the pass?? This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Rex has been running, I figured you would have liked it. Stretch the defense out with short, well-timed routes that will set up the vertical passing lanes and running game.

Ground and pound is not an offensive system, like the WCO or a vertical passing game.

All it means is an emphasis on running the ball.

Ground and pound can be used in any offense.

I do think the emphasis has to be on the passing game in todays NFL, I just hate the way a traditional WCO is operated.

Unless you have real game breaking receivers, you need to execute perfectly to score, it is not an attack style offense, as Rex said he wanted in his press conference.

To me, this is all a moot point anyhow, the Jets are not going to be good next year without a QB, and hopefully the moron Rex will be gone.

Jets are a team with no QB that just hired an OC who runs a QB driven offense. Granted, it's a system that's supposed to make it easier on the QB, but still, it's gonna be very interesting to see what they try to do at the position this offseason. Options are very limited, and the Vick option does nothing for me.

I do like the fact that he's a QB coach, too, who's worked with some good QBs - and some bad ones. He should bring good perspective there, and hopefully some skill.

when u think about sanchez's best route, its the 4 to 8 yard slant across middle. That route is the STAPLE of the WCO and made Jerry Rice and the term YAC household names.

So who knows ;)

when u think about sanchez's best route, its the 4 to 8 yard slant across middle. That route is the STAPLE of the WCO and made Jerry Rice and the term YAC household names.

So who knows ;)

Yeah but Sanchez's throws make it almost impossible to get any YAC, the receivers are always reaching behind them or having to go low to get it, that is of course if doesn't get batted down at the LOS first.

Yeah but Sanchez's throws make it almost impossible to get any YAC, the receivers are always reaching behind them or having to go low to get it, that is of course if doesn't get batted down at the LOS first.

for sure, but the slants were on target in 2009/10. can marty fix the kids head?

there's no point in hiring a coach to fit the players when the players stink.

Idzik go to CFL and get Darian Durant (Russ Wilson clone) to run hybrid Seahawks WCO/option system for Jets?

http://www.riderville.com/roster/show/id/1543

If we're dropping hipster QBs for Marty M to work with:

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=zac%20dysert%202012#/watch?v=RmMa5Nv2zoI

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=zac%20dysert%202012#/watch?v=MnHDHOKjQ8Y

He kicked off to start an overtime

Dude that is hysterical and 100% accurate - I remember all the air time that got here in the press when it happened. But if Rex really gives him some reins, I don't mind a balls shot like that occasionally. Matter of fact, I greatly prefer it to letting the clock tick off at halftime rather than try and run another play because our offense sucks balls and the people calling it don't have any.

Out of curiosity, if we accept that we don't have the right talent for the WCO, what style of offense is the 2013 Jets roster seem likely to be able to run effectively?

Archived