Sanchez May Have One Last Shot With Marty

F.Chowds

lot of Jets fans want to see a new starting Quarterback under center when the 2013 season gets underway. Unfortunately Mike Tannenbaum believed it prudent to sign the struggling quarterback to a new deal in March 2012. The new deal opened up $6.4 million in cap space in 2012, however it turned his non guaranteed 2013 salary of $6 million into a guaranteed salary of $8.25 million. Which means - he is more than likely guaranteed to still be here on opening day.

Sanchez has had some ups and some downs, he did play well in the post-season in 2009 and 2010 - we will all give him that. However his performance in the regular season has been worrying, he is by all accounts one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. His accuracy can be terrible, his decision making is poor and his confidence is at an all time low. However one saving grace for Sanchez, he is likely going to get one more shot.

We thought that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was the problem, his pre-snap motion and verbiage were too complicated for a seasoned veteran, let alone a young quarterback. We then thought it was Tony Sparano and his inexperience developing a Quarterback, the reliance on the run game and concentration on the offensive line. Finally we believed it to be Matt Cavanaugh, the Quarterback coach who had never developed a quarterback in his life.

All of these 'excuses' warranted consideration. However now we have just hired Marty Mornhinweg, an offensive guru who has a long history of getting the best out of his quarterbacks. Under his watch, five different quarterbacks have reached the Pro Bowl (Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia). He has been in charge for four of the top five scoring season in Eagles history, and the five best yardage outputs in franchise history. He guided Michael Vick to become only the 2nd Quarterback in NFL history to throw for 3000+ yards and 500+ rushing yards. He oversaw Donovan McNabb to franchise records in total yards thrown and completions in 2008. However it's not all about moving the ball in the air, the 2010 Eagles team became the first in NFL history to average 4.0 yards per carry in all 16 regular season games.

In 1998 while serving as the 49'ers offensive coordinator, the team became the first unit since the 1941 Bears to lead the league in gross passing and rushing yardage. In 1996 he worked with Brett Favre, the same season Favre became NFL MVP and Superbowl Champion. So as you can see, his track record really does speak for itself.

When you see Marty's west coast offense, you see the ability to exploit weaknesses in defenses. He has managed to get the best out of running backs LeSean McCoy and Brian Westbrook, and he has used these dynamic players by getting them out into space. When you look at what he did with McCoy and Westbrook you can't help wonder what he will have in store for Joe McKnight, a very dynamic player that has been painfully underused by the Jets.

I do fully expect us to draft heavily on the offensive side of the football, and so we should. However I think that if anyone can get the best out of Sanchez and the other offensive weapons we do have, it's Marty. I'm not saying I believe in Sanchez, I think he has been given more than enough chances. However as we look to be stuck with him for the 2013 season at least, he'll be given one more chance as default. Even if we do draft a Quarterback, I vision an open competition in the summer and Autumn.

We can't get away from the fact that the Jets had one of the worst offenses in the league in 2012, however how much of that was down to coaching and how much was down to personnel. We're about to find out, however don't be surprised if Sanchez does make improvements, and don't be surprised if all of a sudden McKnight turns into a 1000 yard guy, it wouldn't shock me.

I'll finish by saying, be excited Jets fans!

This is why we are the Jets, same reason we hung onto Pennington way to too long. Stupid Tanny and his future mortgaging cap tactics.. Hate that guy. It's one thing to mortgage the future on a guy who has a history of playing well, but we extend sh*tbirds regularly.

This is why we are the Jets, same reason we hung onto Pennington way to too long. Stupid Tanny and his future mortgaging cap tactics.. Hate that guy. It's one thing to mortgage the future on a guy who has a history of playing well, but we extend sh*tbirds regularly.

Wait till we finally get our guy and the new brain trust screws up and someone signs him away. Gotta happen.

We will have a different starting QB, I really expect the Jets to make a run for Matt Flynn. As far as Joe Mcknight goes he could be the good in a WCO, but I still think we will draft a RB as there are a few good ones who would fit well in the new offense. The big question for me is TE & O line. Will we resign Keller or will we look elsewhere? What do we do about the guards and is Howard the answer at RT?

Parcells did the same thing Chan-remember him give Jones and Lewis big fare thee well contracts as he was on his way out the door? I swear it's like these guys say "I know how to get even with Woody-I'll give away his money to guys who don't deserve it"

We will have a different starting QB, I really expect the Jets to make a run for Matt Flynn. As far as Joe Mcknight goes he could be the good in a WCO, but I still think we will draft a RB as there are a few good ones who would fit well in the new offense. The big question for me is TE & O line. Will we resign Keller or will we look elsewhere? What do we do about the guards and is Howard the answer at RT?

Howard did play well not great but,we lost our #1 reciever our #2 did not play well and the TE was hurt alot so i think he stays for a while

Really doesn't matter this year. If Morninwheig finds a way to turn Sanchez into Jeff Garcia, that's cool. If Sanchez starts and continues to suck, Rex is fired and we get a high draft pick. Win/win.

Yeah but giving Sanchez more playing time is just wasting evaluation time that could be used on a young QB.

Parcells did the same thing Chan-remember him give Jones and Lewis big fare thee well contracts as he was on his way out the door? I swear it's like these guys say "I know how to get even with Woody-I'll give away his money to guys who don't deserve it"

wasn't tanny the "capologist" even back then?

wasn't tanny the "capologist" even back then?

yup, and Parcells was about to steal him away with him to Tampa Bay when he was about to take that job-Tanny said no...I always liked that about Mike Tannenbaum, his loyalty. It ended up getting his ass fired by giving that loyalty to an incompetent dirtbag like Rex.

We all said that Parcells was a great head coach but lacked in the area of drafting players-what sucks is that Rex Ryan is an even worse personnel guy

yup, and Parcells was about to steal him away with him to Tampa Bay when he was about to take that job-Tanny said no...I always liked that about Mike Tannenbaum, his loyalty. It ended up getting his ass fired by giving that loyalty to an incompetent dirtbag like Rex.

We all said that Parcells was a great head coach but lacked in the area of drafting players-what sucks is that Rex Ryan is an even worse personnel guy

Idzik a good hire Jimmy.

Perfect resume for todays NFL. Nice mix of personnel and business side. Not one sided either way. Throw in fact he played the game and he coached the game, I like what I see (that and he is one of my fellow IBMers ;) )

Rex won't allow that and a math degree won't help. If he had a B.A. in miracle working then maybe. Ha.

I don't think Rex is nearly as in love with Sanchez as gets thrown around in here, and according to reports Idzik has total control of the 53 man roster, anyway. Either way, it will take something close to a miracle to get him off the roster. I agree with you there.

everyone says the sanchez extension was stupid. It was stupid for the Jets. For Tanny he was getting fired either way. It's not like being cap saavy would have saved his job after 6-10. He gets fired for the draft pick of Mark Sanchez, either way.

Because he refused to bench him for years no matter how bad he played or push for a competent backup QB?

We never had a competent backup because Tannenbaum refused to find one. Sanchez is absolutely terrible but no one we had behind him was ever any good.

Obviously, it all came down to the mistake of extending Sanchez's contract. Once we did that, we were all in on the guy.

everyone says the sanchez extension was stupid. It was stupid for the Jets. For Tanny he was getting fired either way. It's not like being cap saavy would have saved his job after 6-10. He gets fired for the draft pick of Mark Sanchez, either way.

Well that begs the question: Why would Woody Johnson allow it to happen if it wasn't the best thing for the team?

Well that begs the question: Why would Woody Johnson allow it to happen if it wasn't the best thing for the team?

# of franchise QBs available in 2013: 0

# of franchise QBs expected to be available in 2014: 0

There's just no obvious candidates. Jets will have to get "lucky" with what is out there on the cheap.

It's Rex's fault there wasn't a backup who could play and that Tebow is here. He was 100% behind both those moves.

There's not even 32 quality starting QBs, but there should be a "backup who could play?" Tebow, relative to the hot garbage that is the backup QB position, is a good backup. Not that I buy Rex was 100% into that...so into it he gave Tebow maybe 50 snaps all season.

There's not even 32 quality starting QBs, but there should be a "backup who could play?" Tebow, relative to the hot garbage that is the backup QB position, is a good backup. Not that I buy Rex was 100% into that...so into it he gave Tebow maybe 50 snaps all season.

B. S. They had a better backup ON THE TEAM before Tebow was here and there are many other teams who have competent backups, but apparently they have some football guy magic or something. Or at least people less clueless than Rex.

Yep.

If one of your major gripes is the lack of a quality backup QB, you're f***ed. Can any of you even name the backups for AVERAGE-ish starting QB's like Joe Flacco, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler, or Carson Palmer? Those teams' fans are only midly happy with their starting QB's, but they still realize that's "their guy", for better or worse.

Go up a level or 2 and it gets even harder to name backup QB's.

At no point in time should a backup QB be of crucial importance. Either your QB is so good that if he gets hurt, you're f***ed, or your starter is so BAD (like us), that you're f***ed from the start. The 3rd option is teams that get miraculously lucky by having a Tom Brady on their bench.

Archived