Sanchez May Have One Last Shot With Marty

F.Chowds

B. S. They had a better backup ON THE TEAM before Tebow was here and there are many other teams who have competent backups, but apparently they have some football guy magic or something.

Who was this better backup? The 40 year old Mark Brunell? Greg McElroy, who ended up playing more than Tebow? This is a league where Tyrod Tayler, Luke McCown, Graham Harrell, Joe Webb, and so on are backing up QBs. You're a Football Man from the sounds of it, these qualify as competent QB talents?

Who was this better backup? The 40 year old Mark Brunell? Greg McElroy, who ended up playing more than Tebow? This is a league where Tyrod Tayler, Luke McCown, Graham Harrell, Joe Webb, and so on are backing up QBs. You're a Football Man from the sounds of it, these qualify as competent QB talents?

Why don't you go look through the transactions since I guess you weren't paying attention last off season. They signed an actual competent backup QB.

Why don't you go look through the transactions since I guess you weren't paying attention last off season. They signed an actual competent backup QB.

Oh how could I forget the Drew Stanton...what a loss. He did an unbelievable job watching Andrew Luck from the sidelines this year. Off the charts. Quite a Football Man find by the Colts. Not many guys can do what he did.

Yep.

If one of your major gripes is the lack of a quality backup QB, you're f***ed. Can any of you even name the backups for AVERAGE-ish starting QB's like Joe Flacco, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler, or Carson Palmer? Those teams' fans are only midly happy with their starting QB's, but they still realize that's "their guy", for better or worse.

Go up a level or 2 and it gets even harder to name backup QB's.

At no point in time should a backup QB be of crucial importance. Either your QB is so good that if he gets hurt, you're f***ed, or your starter is so BAD (like us), that you're f***ed from the start. The 3rd option is teams that get miraculously lucky by having a Tom Brady on their bench.

This year's results in San Fran and Seattle say otherwise. In the offseason, while these teams were gearing up for the season, Wilson and Kaepernick were clearly going to be backup QBs. Each signed new starter-money contracts with QBs who were eventually benched in favor of the backup.

This year's results in San Fran and Seattle say otherwise. In the offseason, while these teams were gearing up for the season, Wilson and Kaepernick were clearly going to be backup QBs. Each signed new starter-money contracts with QBs who were eventually benched in favor of the backup.

I expect the Jets will be drafting their version of Wilson/Kaepernick this year, hopefully with similar results.

lot of Jets fans want to see a new starting Quarterback under center when the 2013 season gets underway. Unfortunately Mike Tannenbaum believed it prudent to sign the struggling quarterback to a new deal in March 2012. The new deal opened up $6.4 million in cap space in 2012, however it turned his non guaranteed 2013 salary of $6 million into a guaranteed salary of $8.25 million. Which means - he is more than likely guaranteed to still be here on opening day.

Sanchez has had some ups and some downs, he did play well in the post-season in 2009 and 2010 - we will all give him that. However his performance in the regular season has been worrying, he is by all accounts one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. His accuracy can be terrible, his decision making is poor and his confidence is at an all time low. However one saving grace for Sanchez, he is likely going to get one more shot.

We thought that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was the problem, his pre-snap motion and verbiage were too complicated for a seasoned veteran, let alone a young quarterback. We then thought it was Tony Sparano and his inexperience developing a Quarterback, the reliance on the run game and concentration on the offensive line. Finally we believed it to be Matt Cavanaugh, the Quarterback coach who had never developed a quarterback in his life.

All of these 'excuses' warranted consideration. However now we have just hired Marty Mornhinweg, an offensive guru who has a long history of getting the best out of his quarterbacks. Under his watch, five different quarterbacks have reached the Pro Bowl (Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia). He has been in charge for four of the top five scoring season in Eagles history, and the five best yardage outputs in franchise history. He guided Michael Vick to become only the 2nd Quarterback in NFL history to throw for 3000+ yards and 500+ rushing yards. He oversaw Donovan McNabb to franchise records in total yards thrown and completions in 2008. However it's not all about moving the ball in the air, the 2010 Eagles team became the first in NFL history to average 4.0 yards per carry in all 16 regular season games.

In 1998 while serving as the 49'ers offensive coordinator, the team became the first unit since the 1941 Bears to lead the league in gross passing and rushing yardage. In 1996 he worked with Brett Favre, the same season Favre became NFL MVP and Superbowl Champion. So as you can see, his track record really does speak for itself.

When you see Marty's west coast offense, you see the ability to exploit weaknesses in defenses. He has managed to get the best out of running backs LeSean McCoy and Brian Westbrook, and he has used these dynamic players by getting them out into space. When you look at what he did with McCoy and Westbrook you can't help wonder what he will have in store for Joe McKnight, a very dynamic player that has been painfully underused by the Jets.

I do fully expect us to draft heavily on the offensive side of the football, and so we should. However I think that if anyone can get the best out of Sanchez and the other offensive weapons we do have, it's Marty. I'm not saying I believe in Sanchez, I think he has been given more than enough chances. However as we look to be stuck with him for the 2013 season at least, he'll be given one more chance as default. Even if we do draft a Quarterback, I vision an open competition in the summer and Autumn.

We can't get away from the fact that the Jets had one of the worst offenses in the league in 2012, however how much of that was down to coaching and how much was down to personnel. We're about to find out, however don't be surprised if Sanchez does make improvements, and don't be surprised if all of a sudden McKnight turns into a 1000 yard guy, it wouldn't shock me.

I'll finish by saying, be excited Jets fans!

Im actually most excited about this pick up here. I think that Sanchez is a system QB. Under the right system he can flourish because the offensive scheme will create openings for QB's to exploit, not necessarily QB's making the right read and throw, or changing plays at the LOS given what the defense is showing them. Very few QB's in the league can do that consistently anyway (Manning, Brady, Rogers).

Is there anybody out there who think the Jets are in the same NFL as the Ravens or Niners? Flacco Kappernick Sanchez? Watching these playoffs just makes me realize how far the Jets are to being an elite team. It all starts with the o-line&QB who can make plays. God knows we dont have a QB.

Is there anybody out there who think the Jets are in the same NFL as the Ravens or Niners? Flacco Kappernick Sanchez? Watching these playoffs just makes me realize how far the Jets are to being an elite team. It all starts with the o-line&QB who can make plays. God knows we dont have a QB.

With a great draft that brings at least a double digit sack rookie in there, the return of Revis, quality QB play from Sanchez/QB, various degrees of better play from Wilkerson, Coples, Mangold, D'Brick, Powell, Harris, Wilson, Pouha (health), Ellis (health), Davis, Keller (health), Howard, and so on. there would be a pretty decent shot at this.

I think Mornhinweg is an impact hire for the offense, but the roster overall still needs to get in shape and add at least two impact players on each side of the ball on a rookie contract.

I think Mornhinweg is an impact hire for the offense, but the roster overall still needs to get in shape and add at least two impact players on each side of the ball on a rookie contract.

Since when do OCs matter?

Are you really going to keep doing the indignant straw man thing on everybody who figured out that Sanchez is terrible before you did? This might take a while.

This was an inside joke. Clearly, you're an outsider.

Guess I've been got. My position is now completely changed. With Mornhinweg the Jets will be an offensive juggernaut no matter who plays. They could have Jeff Hankerson QB'ing for all it matters. Jeff Hankerson!

Thank you. Back to unsubstantive sarcasm. All is right with the world.

Please,Morinhweg is no God!Vick,Favre,Garcia were scramblers,they could run.Sanchez is retarted,he has two left feet. He couldnt outrun an 8th grade linebacker.Hes not a pocket passer,not a runner,he has no physical tools that a QB needs.Did I mention inaccurate. Coaches need something to work with.Marty will figure this out sooner or later.

I think Sanchez is a fraud. He barely played in college and he was the QB nobody gave a crap about from USC. During an era where all USC QBs were overhyped, overrated, etc. Hell, John David Booty got hyped up and he sucked. Somehow in his very short stint with USC, the Jets saw something. They mortgaged their future to pick the kid. Then they gave him an extension for some unknown reason. A bad extension for the Jets. But when I hear all these other names being thrown out, I'm thinking, how are they better?

I mean Matt Flynn. The guy had one great meaningless game and turned it into a big contract. If this were the Jets, fans would be outraged. At least Sanchez played and sucked. Flynn couldn't even beat out a 3rd round rookie QB. Matt Moore.. Wow a guy who was supposed to be the starter, a guy who fumbles as often as Sanchez, wound up being the 3rd best QB in Miami in the preseason.

The Jets need to draft a QB of the future, but I don't see any point in bringing in a Flynn or Moore just to be some bad QB for a year or two.

Archived