Francesa- "zero football people were involved in the interview process"

Matt39

LOL, he is 2 days on the job and his resume is totally different than Tanny. tanny NEVER had personell background, never coached, never had a job where he broke down film, scouted prospects/free agents, was never in personell dept of a team before rising thru ranks..tanny was a cap guy, then a gm. Idzik is totally different resume.

This is getting silly.

The guy has never run a draft or picked any players at any of his stops in the NFL. He's going to be the guy picking players here? Or is it going to be Tannenbaum's staff and Rex?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no faith in Woody. But he cannot afford to continue to be embarrassed. Which is why he used the headhuinter, why he brought Glatt in from the NFL office and why he had Bill Polian as part of his process. Now Idzik could very well fail. But it's really not fair to before Idzik does anything to say right now he will fail.

Agree 100%.

If anything Idzik sounds like a 2000's (and forever more) baseball GM hire. Lots of schooling, lots of background in numbers, and a focus to use that on a sport.

Most of those hires weren't Baseball Men, and boy did that start a war.

Maybe you have faith in Woody Johnson and his stooges to pick out the football version of Billy Beane or Andrew Friedman. I don't.

Maybe you have faith in Woody Johnson and his stooges to pick out the football version of Billy Beane or Andrew Friedman. I don't.

An excellent tale chap.

By stooges you of course mean the firm that has already done this job for someone else, did it well, and has a Football Man running the whole show.

Then again, how can Jed Hughes or John Idzik (I hope thats the name) know Football AND business? Are they some kind of robot? Genetic experiments? Or is it all a lie? Time will tell or something neutral like that.

An excellent tale chap.

By stooges you of course mean the firm that has already done this job for someone else, did it well, and has a Football Man running the whole show.

Then again, how can Jed Hughes or John Idzik (I hope thats the name) know Football AND business? Are they some kind of robot? Genetic experiments? Or is it all a lie? Time will tell or something neutral like that.

What football man running the show are you talking about, Glat? He's been building stadiums for 15 years, he has no idea how to pick players.

You are assuming our entire scouting staff is totally imcompenet- well might be the GM was the one that screwed the Jets with his decisions

Not just incompetent, THE WORST IN FOOTBALL. If this IS NOT true, then how come we went 6-10 last year? Why is there not a QB on the roster that can play QB? I'm only coming at you from a science angle, brah.

So is it your contention that Gamble has interviewed all over the league and subsequently passed over for all the open GM spots, simply because he was TOO good of a candidate for them?

I have no idea why he hasn't been hired, I do know that he was in more demand that Idzik was and I know his history of picking players is terrific unlike Idzik who has no history picking players. Thats not arguable.

I have no idea why he hasn't been hired, I do know that he was in more demand that Idzik was and I know his history of picking players is terrific unlike Idzik who has no history picking players. Thats not arguable.

So in demand that no one hired him. Maybe those teams are racist against Football Men?

So in demand that no one hired him. Maybe those teams are racist against Football Men?

The difference between you and me is that you think Woody Johnson and his stooges with no history of success in any area are competent to pick a great GM (while keeping all the people who built this garbage roster in place because it was all Mike T's fault.) I don't.

The guy has never run a draft or picked any players at any of his stops in the NFL. He's going to be the guy picking players here? Or is it going to be Tannenbaum's staff and Rex?

Thats what a GM does, How many of the guys who interviewed were ex GMs?

No, what you know is that he's been interviewed by a number of teams and has come away empty handed. What you know is that he's been a part of a San Francisco 49ers team that has a history of terrific picks; tell me, what picks did Gamble make that Trent Baalke didn't?? If Gamble was such the hot hand making all those decisions, why did Baalke get the promotion to GM over Gamble? Gamble getting passed over for every GM job he interviewed for, not becoming the GM in San Fran, that is all not arguable.

Maybe, just maybe the teams realized he wasn't worth the buzz surrounding his name, which is why he wasn't offered a position to run a football team. Maybe, all the people coming out to show support on behalf of Idzik, know what they're talking about. Maybe, you should give it a chance before you want to run him out of town.

No, what you know is that he's been interviewed by a number of teams and has come away empty handed. What you know is that he's been a part of a San Francisco 49ers team that has a history of terrific picks; tell me, what picks did Gamble make that Trent Baalke didn't?? If Gamble was such the hot hand making all those decisions, why did Baalke get the promotion to GM over Gamble? Gamble getting passed over for every GM job he interviewed for, not becoming the GM in San Fran, that is all not arguable.

Maybe, just maybe the teams realized he wasn't worth the buzz surrounding his name, which is why he wasn't offered a position to run a football team. Maybe, all the people coming out to show support on behalf of Idzik, know what they're talking about. Maybe, you should give it a chance before you want to run him out of town.

I'll give him a chance and I have nothing against him. It's not his fault Woody Johnson is a fool who has no idea how to run any organization.

I suspect he really does interview poorly. Could be that teams determined he's more fortunate to be around success, than the actual catalyst for success. You really know nothing about his history picking players being that he's never had the responsibility to pick players. That's not arguable.

I liked Gamble based on what I read about him, too. He reportedly liked the Jets, and cancelled other interviews to concentrate on being the new GM here - if we're to believe the reports. The Jets, and everyone else who interviewed him, chose to go in another direction.

You can bitch and moan about Caldwell, who they pretty clearly missed out on, but the Gamble moaning is invalid.

these interviews have a way of flushing out the staffees/assistants who may have been riding coattails/fame of GREAT GMs.

Folks here seem to want to give credit to the staffs of great GMs. Its like saying Mangini is great DC or HC cause he had a great record as DC of Pats (Belly did all work)

these interviews have a way of flushing out the staffees/assistants who may have been riding coattails/fame of GREAT GMs.

Folks here seem to want to give credit to the staffs of great GMs. Its like saying Mangini is great DC or HC cause he had a great record as DC of Pats (Belly did all work)

Even if thats the case alot of the time, I don't trust Woody Johnson or his stooges to pick the great GM out from the coattail riders.

I'd have preferred a guy who made his way up through the personal/scouting dept, that being said, I have no idea how this will work out cause I have no idea about this Idzik cat. Mainly came here to say I think Klacko and Pac would defend the Jets had they hired teh Falcon to be their next GM, it's funny how you can predict people opinions on new topics before you even read their post.

Even if thats the case alot of the time, I don't trust Woody Johnson or his stooges to pick the great GM out from the coattail riders.

Well I guess you are rooting for the wrong team, cause Woody isnt going anywhere.

Do I like Woody as an owner? No. But, the Jets are the team i root for, therefore, I will sit back and wait to see how this plays out before I jump to conclusions and say Woody hired the wrong guy.

Me, you, nor the great Mike Franseca were in the interview and we have no idea about who is and who isnt qualified for the job. All we have is what is posted on the internet.

Just to clear things up. Most of you have zero concern that Idzik's background is more business than personnel? isnt that the same reason you all wanted Tannenbaum gone?

I don't put it past some people to be that short-sighted, but the majority of people didn't want him gone just because he was solely a business man. We wanted him gone because he was really bad at his job. Having a business background, or only a business background in Tanny's cause, does not make one an inherently bad GM. Tanny was a bad GM in addition to being a business man. He leaned on the wrong people when it came time for him to make his decisions, that was his downfall. If he were a former scout and failed as a GM, you guys would be calling for a business guy to get in here so he could properly delegate responsibilities instead of making unilateral football decisions. When something fails, every calls for the exact opposite and believes that's the way to go. Sometimes people fail, just because they aren't good at what they do, regardless of their background.

Just to clear things up. Most of you have zero concern that Idzik's background is more business than personnel? isnt that the same reason you all wanted Tannenbaum gone?

I share that concern. It was and is my preference to have a pure personnel guy making the big GM/personnel decisions, with a cap guy by his side. I'm keeping an open mind about Idzik largely because I'm reading good things about him.

That has nothing to do with the fact that Francessa is completely full of sh*t and that you should do yourself a favor and stop listening to him.

I share that concern. It was and is my preference to have a pure personnel guy making the big GM/personnel decisions, with a cap guy by his side. I'm keeping an open mind about Idzik largely because I'm reading good things about him.

That has nothing to do with the fact that Francessa is completely full of sh*t and that you should do yourself a favor and stop listening to him.

Glazer is the guy generally funneling info to Mike so...

Archived