#1 YJF

YJF

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

PERCEPTION VS REALITY

The New York Jets are widely believed to be a losing franchise. As of January 12th 2013, It's been 44 years since the Jets have won a superbowl. There have been many ups and a lot more downs since that ground breaking and league changing championship in 1969. Throughout the 70's and much of the 80's, The Jets became an irrelevant franchise. Very few winning seasons or playoff seasons over the course of two decades. There were slight hiccups along the way where the Jets made an impact and went on runs towards a championship(1982) but there was a lot more losing than winning in those two decades.

The 90's saw the Jets start off somewhat promising only to fall badly and become a laughingstock by the time 1996 finished. It wasn't until Bill Parcells arrived in 1997, That the Jets would change course and change their culture and become a contender. Since 1997, The Jets have been a respectable and contending franchise. They won their first division title since the merger in 1970 and from 1998 to present day, The Jets have won two division titles and have made the playoffs 7 different times and have made 3 trips to the AFC Championship Game. In the last 16 seasons, The Jets have only 4 non winning seasons. In the era of parody, that measures up pretty well against the other 31 NFL franchises. The Jets transformed from being a laughing stock and irrelevant franchise to being relevant and a legitimate contender. The local and national media would have you believe otherwise but the Jets have been a respectable franchise since 1997.

BACK TO THE DARK AGES

This leads me to where I feel this franchise is now headed or currently is. It looks like the Jets have officially reverted back to their losing ways prior to 1997. It's been a long time since the Jets franchise was considered and expected to be awful and that's where they currently stand. The late season collapse of 2011 and the ugliness of 2012 have combined to set this franchise back and downward. It's amazing how far down the team has gone after two magical runs near the mountain top just two years ago. There are a lot of people to blame for the downfall. Poor leadership and team awareness by Rex Ryan. Poor management by Mike Tannenbaum and poor ownership and guidance by Woody Johnson. The run is over. You can not recapture the vibe and aura that the franchise had.

MOVING FORWARD

It's hard to gauge what direction the Jets are currently in. Are they retooling or rebuilding? The model for rebuilding is in place, A young roster with a lot of departing veterans. You have uncertainty at key spots like QB and a new leader of football operations in John Idzik. At the same time, The Jets have the same football leader in place in Rex Ryan, the same quality defensive system and a whole new accomplished offensive staff. Rex is coaching for his life in 2013. If the Jets do not have a winning season or make the playoffs. He is gone. He knows it and the entire organization knows it. Rather than begin a complete organizational reset. Woody Johnson has decided to try and take another shot. The problem is that The Jets are not constructed properly to be a legitimate contender. They do not and will not have the neccessary cap room to improve their talent base. They don't have the current talent base to be a legitimate contender. The team is stuck in neutral. If 2013 goes as projected, The Jets will have to reset the entire organization from the coaching staff to the scouting department a year from now. The only person that will remain is John Idzik. Instead of using 2013 to build for 2014. The Jets are putting off the rebuild for another year in the hopes of getting back to where they were. That ship has sailed. Woody failed to realize that or doesn't want to face that reality. By attempting this in 2013, The Jets are pretty much setting themselves up for potentially two more losing seasons in 2013 and 2014. Even if the organization gets things on track, They may not contend until 2015.

#2 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,545 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

holy blast from the past

#3 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,218 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Nobody rebuilds but a$$hole franchises who are really saying "fcuk it, time to pocket the money." The roster has been turning over for two years now since Woody/Faneca retired, a total rebuild is an inefficient waste of talent, time, and dollar dollar billz y'all. At most there's one more season of losing TOPS, and I would hope the organization doesn't plan to bend Ryan over the table like that (like him or not, it would be a dick move).

And yes, blast from the past INDEED.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#4 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,314 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

YJF is now OJF it has been so long
Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#5 YJF

YJF

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Nobody rebuilds but a$$hole franchises who are really saying "fcuk it, time to pocket the money." The roster has been turning over for two years now since Woody/Faneca retired, a total rebuild is an inefficient waste of talent, time, and dollar dollar billz y'all. At most there's one more season of losing TOPS, and I would hope the organization doesn't plan to bend Ryan over the table like that (like him or not, it would be a dick move).

And yes, blast from the past INDEED.

Your response is not quite the responses, I used to receive in the past.LOL. "nobody rebuilds but ahole franchises"....

Let's just project the Jets to be 4 and 12 in 2013. Rex will be gone. What happens to his new offensive staff and his last remaining soldier on defense in Dennis Thurman?... Well that answer comes from John Idzik. He will hire the new head coach and the new head coach will look to bring in his own staff. That's why a guy like Marty Mornhinweg has a lot tied into this season because he may not be retained. David Lee and Marty are Rex hires. You can bet your bottom dollar that unless Mark Sanchez pulls off a miracle and becomes a good QB. Sanchez is gone and the Jets potentially start all over at QB as well because the 2014 head coach and the 2014 offensive coordinator will want their own QB not left overs from previous regime.

#6 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 36,902 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

YJF? Wow...havent seen that name in a long time.

Nice write up. 2013 might suck but who knows, maybe they surprise and get into the playoffs. Ya never know...truth is, the Jets arent that far from where they were a few years ago when they made their runs.

Edited by JiF, 22 January 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Posted Image

#7 YJF

YJF

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

YJF is now OJF it has been so long

LOL. I am in my 30's now. I don't feel like an OJF but when you hit the big 30, you start THINKING "Am I old now?".

#8 YJF

YJF

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

YJF? Wow...havent seen that name in a long time.

Nice write up. 2013 might suck but who knows, maybe they surprise and get into the playoffs. Ya never know...truth is, the Jets arent that far from where they were a few years ago when they made their runs.

Thanks. I just have a feeling as a Jets fan that I haven't had for awhile. That feeling that we are once again a bad NFL franchise. The Jets haven't been a bad NFL franchise in a long time. Despite what the outsiders and some long time disgruntled Jets fans would have people believe me. It's starting to feel like Pre-Parcells. I hope that I am wrong.

#9 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

We’ll be finding out if Idizk is in full rebuild mentality shortly.

If Revis is sent packing to Green Bay, or somewhere, they are in full rebuild mode. If they cough up the money for him, they expect immidiate gradification

#10 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,218 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Your response is not quite the responses, I used to receive in the past.LOL. "nobody rebuilds but ahole franchises"....

Let's just project the Jets to be 4 and 12 in 2013. Rex will be gone. What happens to his new offensive staff and his last remaining soldier on defense in Dennis Thurman?... Well that answer comes from John Idzik. He will hire the new head coach and the new head coach will look to bring in his own staff. That's why a guy like Marty Mornhinweg has a lot tied into this season because he may not be retained. David Lee and Marty are Rex hires.

To me the fact that they went out and got Mornhinweg says that what we consider a traditional rebuild (losing and firing until magic happens) is not going to happen. He's a legitimate modern NFL coordinator who would likely have a legitimate shot at the HC job if Rex were to be fired.

I don't see him as a Rex Ryan hire actually, not at all. Not that they differ completely offensively, but in perception they do with Mornhinweg a pretty proven pass guy.

I also think that Idzik and Mornhinweg being hired at roughly the same time lends to the thought that Idzik approved.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#11 YJF

YJF

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

We’ll be finding out if Idizk is in full rebuild mentality shortly.

If Revis is sent packing to Green Bay, or somewhere, they are in full rebuild mode. If they cough up the money for him, they expect immidiate gradification

That's an excellent point. What the Jets do with Revis holds the key to the direction of the franchise.

#12 YJF

YJF

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

To me the fact that they went out and got Mornhinweg says that what we consider a traditional rebuild (losing and firing until magic happens) is not going to happen. He's a legitimate modern NFL coordinator who would likely have a legitimate shot at the HC job if Rex were to be fired.

I don't see him as a Rex Ryan hire actually, not at all. Not that they differ completely offensively, but in perception they do with Mornhinweg a pretty proven pass guy.

I also think that Idzik and Mornhinweg being hired at roughly the same time lends to the thought that Idzik approved.

You'd like to think that Idzik had some say in it but I believe that the staff is all Rex's decision. The hiring of David Lee would lend you to believe that.

#13 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,094 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

MOVING FORWARD

It's hard to gauge what direction the Jets are currently in. Are they retooling or rebuilding? The model for rebuilding is in place, A young roster with a lot of departing veterans. You have uncertainty at key spots like QB and a new leader of football operations in John Idzik. At the same time, The Jets have the same football leader in place in Rex Ryan, the same quality defensive system and a whole new accomplished offensive staff. Rex is coaching for his life in 2013. If the Jets do not have a winning season or make the playoffs. He is gone. He knows it and the entire organization knows it. Rather than begin a complete organizational reset. Woody Johnson has decided to try and take another shot. The problem is that The Jets are not constructed properly to be a legitimate contender. They do not and will not have the neccessary cap room to improve their talent base. They don't have the current talent base to be a legitimate contender. The team is stuck in neutral. If 2013 goes as projected, The Jets will have to reset the entire organization from the coaching staff to the scouting department a year from now. The only person that will remain is John Idzik. Instead of using 2013 to build for 2014. The Jets are putting off the rebuild for another year in the hopes of getting back to where they were. That ship has sailed. Woody failed to realize that or doesn't want to face that reality. By attempting this in 2013, The Jets are pretty much setting themselves up for potentially two more losing seasons in 2013 and 2014. Even if the organization gets things on track, They may not contend until 2015.

Sh*tload of speculation in this last stanza.

Rex is coaching for his life in 2013. If the Jets do not have a winning season or make the playoffs. He is gone. He knows it and the entire organization knows it.

Yes, Rex is coaching for his life but, no, there's no guarantee he's going to be judged on wins, losses, or playoff appearances. Depends on a lot on the rest of your speculation.

Woody Johnson has decided to try and take another shot.

You know this... how? Because I agree with you that the talent isn't there, and they should be rebuilding. You don't think that maybe came up in the GM interview process?

If 2013 goes as projected, The Jets will have to reset the entire organization from the coaching staff to the scouting department a year from now. The only person that will remain is John Idzik.

So there's a possibility that it won't go as projected? I expect the overhaul of the scouting department to commence shortly after the draft, they won't wait another year.

The Jets are putting off the rebuild for another year in the hopes of getting back to where they were. That ship has sailed. Woody failed to realize that or doesn't want to face that reality.

Again, how do you state this as fact?
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#14 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 36,902 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thanks. I just have a feeling as a Jets fan that I haven't had for awhile. That feeling that we are once again a bad NFL franchise. The Jets haven't been a bad NFL franchise in a long time. Despite what the outsiders and some long time disgruntled Jets fans would have people believe me. It's starting to feel like Pre-Parcells. I hope that I am wrong.

Dont know why...with an average QB the Jets make the playoffs this season easily.

1 losing season so far in Rex Ryan era and it came in a year when his QB played about as bad as I've ever seen. Its not, as bad as all the doom and gloomers want it to be. The Colts won 1 game last season and made the playoffs. The Seahawks were 7-9. The Redskins were 5-11.

The Jets have a foundation to build on. And their "needs" really shouldnt be that hard to find. WR's, TE's and RB's - they are dime a dozen with the right QB. And even without, you can find those position at every round of the draft and in FA.
Posted Image

#15 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,179 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

This leads me to where I feel this franchise is now headed or currently is. It looks like the Jets have officially reverted back to their losing ways prior to 1997.

So we've reverted to Kotite-level expectations? GTFO. We had worse seasons under Herm and Mangini, and have no less talent than some of those teams.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#16 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,354 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Rex is coaching for his life in 2013. If the Jets do not have a winning season or make the playoffs. He is gone. He knows it and the entire organization knows it.

Yes, Rex is coaching for his life but, no, there's no guarantee he's going to be judged on wins, losses, or playoff appearances. Depends on a lot on the rest of your speculation.

You know this... how? Because I agree with you that the talent isn't there, and they should be rebuilding. You don't think that maybe came up in the GM interview process?

If 2013 goes as projected, The Jets will have to reset the entire organization from the coaching staff to the scouting department a year from now. The only person that will remain is John Idzik.

So there's a possibility that it won't go as projected? I expect the overhaul of the scouting department to commence shortly after the draft, they won't wait another year.

The Jets are putting off the rebuild for another year in the hopes of getting back to where they were. That ship has sailed. Woody failed to realize that or doesn't want to face that reality.

The press conference belies that Woody Johnson thinks the world of Wrecks Ryan. Unless that's an act the idea Ryan is coaching for his job in 2013 is speculation. In fact that presentation would lead me to believe Wrecks is in fact running the show until further notice and has no worries about job secuirty until his contract is done at least.

Edited by Bugg, 22 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#17 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,545 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Its easy to go from sh*tty team to Wild Card team in this day and age...its just a matter of being that consistent division title contender that the Jets have never been able to be...basically their inability to find a QB or game changing weapons on offense.

Offensively, this is the least talented Jets team in a very long time. The Jets were worse than their record this past year...and Im not exactly sure what there is to look forward to heading into 2013.

We'll see. But the offense is starting from square one next year so who know's what this team looks like.

Edited by Matt39, 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#18 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,325 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I thought I read in the paper that Idzik was going to pick the players and Rex pick the staff. Seems like a fair enough plan. I'd like Idzik to have input, particularly in styles, but I like the idea of the head coach picking his guys.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#19 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

The press conference belies that Woody Johnson thinks the world of Wrecks Ryan. Unless that's an act the idea Ryan is coaching for his job in 2013 is speculation. In fact that presentation would lead me to believe Wrecks is in fact running the show until further notice and has no worries about job secuirty until his contract is done at least.

I think the truth lies somewhere between your view of the future and YJF's.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#20 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,179 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think the truth lies somewhere between your view of the future and YJF's.

Hope not. Both outlooks seem to be filled with soul-sucking pessimism.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 22 January 2013 - 03:58 PM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#21 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,220 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I have zero faith that Rex can coalesce a new staff and a boat load of new starters. It is just not his forte.
Originally Posted by Blackout
LOL ignorance is bless.

#22 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Dont know why...with an average QB the Jets make the playoffs this season easily.

1 losing season so far in Rex Ryan era and it came in a year when his QB played about as bad as I've ever seen. Its not, as bad as all the doom and gloomers want it to be. The Colts won 1 game last season and made the playoffs. The Seahawks were 7-9. The Redskins were 5-11.

The Jets have a foundation to build on. And their "needs" really shouldnt be that hard to find. WR's, TE's and RB's - they are dime a dozen with the right QB. And even without, you can find those position at every round of the draft and in FA.

I agree

This season sucked, but I don’t think it is the total end of an era. In your needs department, with the entrance of the WCO, I think Keller will be back, don’t think his market value is to high after this season.

If the Jets resign Edwards, Holmes, Kerley and Edwards are at least acceptable. Hill I still have hope for. Wouldn’t mind picking up Ivory from NO. Think he is FA, and think he will fit the WCO fine.

QB is the problem. Sanchez has no chance to make it as a WCO QB. They must be smart, and accurate. He is neither.
If Idzik can find a decent WCO type think the Jets can compete while rebuilding on the fly

Edited by flgreen, 22 January 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#23 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hope not. Both outlooks seem to be filled with soul-sucking pessimism.

Haha!

Truth is that if Idzik turns out to be a quality GM, the Jets should be contending again in 2014 whether Rex is coaching or not.

This year they need to be smart with their contracts (read: move Revis or Cro). Don't do anything that's going to cut into the cap room coming in 2014. Draft well. Install the WCO on offense, and get a couple players to help you run it.

In 2014, you have a boatload of cash to attack free agency. Have another good draft. Get your QB anyway you can if you didn't get lucky in the 2013 draft. Profit.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#24 YJF

YJF

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Let's be real here. Rex Ryan is not going to survive a 3rd straight non winning and non playoff season. If the Jets have another poor season. He will not get an extension nor will he return as the coach with only one year left on his deal. There may not be a public mandate set by Woody Johnson although the media tried to get it out of him at the season ending press conference. Everyone knows including Rex that this is a make or break season for him.

Woody Johnson was smart in not making the mandate. That's probably his best move so far. By not making a mandate on Rex. He is showing a vote of confidence towards him. Woody doesn't need to state the obvious or create a negative umbrella over the franchise moving forward. By not starting over and doing an organizational reset, It shows that Woody wants to give Rex another chance to move the Jets in the right direction. 2013 is his last chance. John Idzik gets the organizational reset in a years time if the 2013 campaign leads to a 4 and 12 type season. Speculation on my part...maybe but the writing is on the wall. Just look at the situation. I am not rooting for it but all signs point to that possible destination.

The Jets roster makeup and current cap situation doesn't lend itself to a situation where the team can re-tool and contend. They don't have a good QB and they have a lot of departing pieces and a limited cap space to get marquee players on the roster. In a perfect world, They would keep Keller and Landry. That would show me something. I don't think that the Jets have the cap flexibility to do that. You can thank Mike Tannenbaum for that. He botched the last two seasons after doing what I think was a good job overall up until 2011. If you thought that the Jets had talent issues in 2012 and they did, Then I can't see where they improve greatly in 2013. They need to be able to replace key players like Landry and Keller and hit homeruns in the draft and on the lower level free agency scale. I hope that they can do it.

#25 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,220 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Haha!

Truth is that if Idzik turns out to be a quality GM, the Jets should be contending again in 2014 whether Rex is coaching or not.

This year they need to be smart with their contracts (read: move Revis or Cro). Don't do anything that's going to cut into the cap room coming in 2014. Draft well. Install the WCO on offense, and get a couple players to help you run it.

In 2014, you have a boatload of cash to attack free agency. Have another good draft. Get your QB anyway you can if you didn't get lucky in the 2013 draft. Profit.

So easy.
Originally Posted by Blackout
LOL ignorance is bless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users