The Current State Of The New York Jets

YJF

I think that if Woody really felt that 2013 was going to be a referendum on Rex that he would've let the GM decide whether or not to keep him this year. I think if Woody's on board with a one year rebuild, that he's not going to take it out on Rex if they have a sub-par record against what looks like a tough schedule on paper.

We'll have a better feel once we see Idzik start to make some moves. If he trades Revis or Cro, designates Sanchez a June 1 cut, etc., they're in rebuild mode, and Rex'll have a little leeway, IMHO.

It's a good post by you Slats but you didn't answer the question.

Do you think Rex Ryan is the head coach of the New York Jets in 2014 if the Jets of 2013 have a poor season?

I don't think Woody thinks of this as a rebuilding year in 2013. I think, Woody wants Rex to fix the coaching staff and for Idzik to fix the cap and to be back contending next season and beyond. I don't see leeway for Rex if this team finishes 4 and 12 next season.

I call bullsh*t. The real YJF had a nervous breakdown after the Dick Curl/Quincy Carter/Ravens game and is currently in an asylum eating soup through a straw.

Remember the Stweler game where Herm/Curl screwed up the clock on the kneel down/victory formation?

I don't think Woody thinks of this as a rebuilding year in 2013. I think, Woody wants Rex to fix the coaching staff and for Idzik to fix the cap and to be back contending next season and beyond. I don't see leeway for Rex if this team finishes 4 and 12 next season.

I know you don't think Woody sees it as a rebuilding year. We'll have to see what Idzik does once the new league year starts. I think Woody understands that 2013 is a year to absorb some pain so they can be competitve and built for the long haul starting in 2014. The guy just fired his short-sighted GM. He interviewed a lot of guys for GM who probably discussed with him at length the problems the Jets have with the cap and at QB. I don't like Woody as an owner, either, but I really don't think the guy is a complete imbecile.

Will Rex survive 4-12? I don't know. I also don't know that they will be 4-12. I think the defense is going to be good, and the offense has a lot of room to be better.

But you've dropped the bar quite a bit here from your original post where you said Rex would definitely be fired if the Jets merely missed the playoffs. I don't think that's the case at all. I think Rex can survive a losing season if the team is playing hard, together, and finishes strong.

You'd like to think that Idzik had some say in it but I believe that the staff is all Rex's decision. The hiring of David Lee would lend you to believe that.

If hiring Mornhinweg was a Rex decision then Rex is learning to make good decisions. I don't think Lee was a bad hire either, despite last year's results with Buffalo.

I also can't say I disagree with this:

The Jets roster makeup and current cap situation doesn't lend itself to a situation where the team can re-tool and contend.

Team won 6 games with Mark Sanchez doing his own tank job and the team losing it's two biggest impact skill players on either side of the ball, including an elite player within the league. There are good prime aged players on this team, a couple of really strong younger players, and then a pool of players who seem like they can fill a role and give you some cheap production. A great draft/offseason that somehow brings in competent QB player could put this team right back where they were just a couple of years ago. If not great then two very good drafts that includes bringing in a competent QB will have the team back by 2014.

PERCEPTION VS REALITY</strong>

The New York Jets are widely believed to be a losing franchise. As of January 12th 2013, It's been 44 years since the Jets have won a superbowl. There have been many ups and a lot more downs since that ground breaking and league changing championship in 1969. Throughout the 70's and much of the 80's, The Jets became an irrelevant franchise. Very few winning seasons or playoff seasons over the course of two decades. There were slight hiccups along the way where the Jets made an impact and went on runs towards a championship(1982) but there was a lot more losing than winning in those two decades.

The 90's saw the Jets start off somewhat promising only to fall badly and become a laughingstock by the time 1996 finished. It wasn't until Bill Parcells arrived in 1997, That the Jets would change course and change their culture and become a contender. Since 1997, The Jets have been a respectable and contending franchise.

I got to here.

So we've reverted to Kotite-level expectations? GTFO. We had worse seasons under Herm and Mangini, and have no less talent than some of those teams.

The words 'Kotite' and 'expectations' constitute an oxymoron. When you think about who has to go then the talent level sinks. This team has zero depth, for the most part.

I call bullsh*t. The real YJF had a nervous breakdown after the Dick Curl/Quincy Carter/Ravens game and is currently in an asylum eating soup through a straw.

Wow. TomShane still very funny. I forgot that game. Now I know why I hate soup.

Do you think Rex Ryan is the head coach of the New York Jets in 2014 if the Jets of 2013 have a poor season?... You know the answer is no.

Good to see you back posting YJF -

I don't know if Rex will be here in 2014 after a bad 2013 campaign, but I fear it like the plague. His stock is way down in my portfolio but hasn't seemed to suffer in Woody Johnson's. That embarrassing press conference showed me that Rex was probably capable of selling a 2013 rebuild year.

Fact is it's all about the QB here even in a rebuild. If we get a Henne, or a Flynn and they turn out serviceable to pretty good - we have a decent corps of receivers with Kerley, Edwards, Hill, and Holmes - much as I hate the mope. The D could be very, very good with a another couple of faster LB's. But it's all about a QB for us.

Remember the Stweler game where Herm/Curl screwed up the clock on the kneel down/victory formation?

Only a man as dumb as Edwards takes a knee and has PenniNGton go back a yard to line up a kick in the cold in the worst FG stadium in the NFL. On the other hand, kinda pointless to hand it to Curtis the Compiler to get stuffed again when it mattered.

STOP BRINGING THIS UP. PLEASE, I BEG YOU.

Basically let's break it down like this...

10-6 or above with Playoffs then Keeping Rex looks like a wise move. Rex gets rewarded with a contract.

9-7 with playoffs probably gets Rex a short contract (3 years).

9-7 without Playoffs might get Rex a stay of execution. Could see him let go though if they have a late season swoon (lose last three games causing the playoff failure. )

8-8 or below and I think Rex is gone.

So, yes, I believe Rex is literally coaching for his Jets life this year. Playoffs or bust. Can he lead the team with a new OC, new QB, New DC, New coaches and a New GM to the playoffs? Lots of ifs!

10-6 or above with Playoffs then Keeping Rex looks like a wise move. Rex gets rewarded with a contract.

9-7 without Playoffs might get Rex a stay of execution. Could see him let go though if they have a late season swoon (lose last three games causing the playoff failure. )

So, yes, I believe Rex is literally coaching for his Jets life this year. Playoffs or bust. Can he lead the team with a new OC, new QB, New DC, New coaches and a New GM to the playoffs? Lots of ifs!

Without all these offseason GM moves, wouldn't that be the case anyway? And isn't it the case for most NFL head coaches. Rex went 9-7 his first season with one give me game, he went 11-5 the next season and in both seasons they made it to the AFC Championship game. Then they went 8-8, followed by 6-10. Any coach in the NFL would be fighting for their job in year #5. Hell, Lovie Smith and Whisenhunt, two guys who took their teams to super bowls, lost their jobs this offseason. And the Bears went what, 9-7 and got unlucky in the playoff mix.

Thats the funny thing about coaching. If the Vikings lose to the Packers the last game of the season, the Bears make the playoffs. They would be the same 9-7 team, but Lovie probably keeps his job. Nothing would have changed except for catching a lucky break cause another team lost. If the Jets lost to the Colts in year 1 of Rex's regime and they go 8-8 instead of 9-7, would anybody feel the same way about the Jets? Probably not. The Jets caught a lucky break, took advantage of it, and Rex is considered better than he really ever was.

That's the thing about coaching and perception. The Bears and Lovie Smith at 9-7 weren't going to be a different team because the Vikings won or lost. But Vikings win, Smith is fired Vikings would have lost, Bears make playoffs and Smith is probably still the Bears head coach. It doesn't change how good or bad he is as a coach. Same for Rex next year. If the Jets go 9-7 and catch a lucky break and wind up in the playoffs, he keeps his job. If the Jets go 9-7 and some team like the Bengals wins instead of loses the last week of the season, Jets miss the playoffs and Rex is fired. Same team. Same coach. Different luck.

Thanks. I just have a feeling as a Jets fan that I haven't had for awhile. That feeling that we are once again a bad NFL franchise. The Jets haven't been a bad NFL franchise in a long time. Despite what the outsiders and some long time disgruntled Jets fans would have people believe me. It's starting to feel like Pre-Parcells. I hope that I am wrong.

I hope you are wrong too but i agree...it does feel like that indeed.

Bill Walsh was 24-33 through his 4th season with one winning season.

Noll was 23-33.

Belichick was 31-33.

This is why posting stats, records, etc are pointless.

Bill Walsh, one of the best football coaches and minds of all time, took over a bad 49ers team. A team that went 2-14 the year before he became Head Coach. That was 1979. The 49ers won a super bowl in 1981. His 3rd season as HC of the 49ers.

By Chuck Noll's 4th season, they were building a legitimate super bowl contender. The fact is, from Chuck Noll's 4th season as HC(1972) until 1985 he never had a losing record.

BB was arrogant. He still is, but he was humbled a bit by his Cleveland Browns experience. And comparing him to Rex is a bad example. So Rex gets fired, goes back to being a DC, then finds another HC job and becomes great. Yeah thats great for the Jets.

The truth is, Rex Ryan took over a 9-7 team. They went 9-7 with a gimme game that first year. And by his 4th season as HC, the Jets are 6-10 and looking to rebuild. Rex has gotten worse, not better. The Jets have gotten worse, not better. Sanchez, while never a good QB, has gotten worse.

And why use Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh and BB as examples?

What was Herm Edwards record as a NY Jets head coach the first 4 seasons? The Jets made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, won the AFC East once, won a couple of playoff games, and was a missed FG away from the AFC Championship game. And he was a terrible coach.

Rex has been a great DC, he's been worse than his father when it comes to handling the offense. Whether it's bringing in the wrong personal, not caring enough, hiring the wrong coaches, listening to the wrong people, or being a know it all, doesn't really matter. The Jets offense was a disgrace this past season. It wasn't much better the season before. And even during the first two seasons the offense wasn't good.

That's the biggest problem I have with Rex. It's similar to the Herm years. The team got worse and worse every year.

Bill Walsh, one of the best football coaches and minds of all time, took over a bad 49ers team. A team that went 2-14 the year before he became Head Coach. That was 1979. The 49ers won a super bowl in 1981. His 3rd season as HC of the 49ers.

By Chuck Noll's 4th season, they were building a legitimate super bowl contender. The fact is, from Chuck Noll's 4th season as HC(1972) until 1985 he never had a losing record.

BB was arrogant. He still is, but he was humbled a bit by his Cleveland Browns experience. And comparing him to Rex is a bad example. So Rex gets fired, goes back to being a DC, then finds another HC job and becomes great. Yeah thats great for the Jets.

The truth is, Rex Ryan took over a 9-7 team. They went 9-7 with a gimme game that first year. And by his 4th season as HC, the Jets are 6-10 and looking to rebuild. Rex has gotten worse, not better. The Jets have gotten worse, not better. Sanchez, while never a good QB, has gotten worse.

What was Herm Edwards record as a NY Jets head coach the first 4 seasons? The Jets made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, won the AFC East once, won a couple of playoff games, and was a missed FG away from the AFC Championship game. And he was a terrible coach.

Rex has been a great DC, he's been worse than his father when it comes to handling the offense. Whether it's bringing in the wrong personal, not caring enough, hiring the wrong coaches, listening to the wrong people, or being a know it all, doesn't really matter. The Jets offense was a disgrace this past season. It wasn't much better the season before. And even during the first two seasons the offense wasn't good.

That's the biggest problem I have with Rex. It's similar to the Herm years. The team got worse and worse every year.

this true too

Look at Pedro55 cum all over SenorGato's back!

Walsh/Noll/Belichick was no more out there an example than Herm Edwards. Difference is Edwards coached for the Jets do herp derp that is the Only path Rex's career can and will take.

The 2010 team was better than the 2009 team. Luckily there's 2011 and 2012 to scientifically prove that every year Rex made the team worse.

Same for Rex next year. If the Jets go 9-7 and catch a lucky break and wind up in the playoffs, he keeps his job. If the Jets go 9-7 and some team like the Bengals wins instead of loses the last week of the season, Jets miss the playoffs and Rex is fired. Same team. Same coach. Different luck.

Rex's fate is tied to what Idzik thinks of him as a coach, not his win-loss record. You have a story coming out now that the Jets will explore trading Revis. Same article talks about other potential salary dumping, and setting themselves up financially for 2014. The talent last year was weak, and the talent this year has the potential to be weaker. Idzik will recognize this, and judge Rex by his own criteria.

Now, it's entirely possible that Idzik has already decided he doesn't want Rex next year. If that's the case, maybe Rex's record comes into play if the team performs well above expectations next season, resulting in Idzik giving him a second look.

But missing the playoffs isn't what's going to get Rex fired. It'll be Idzik thinking he's not the right coach for his team.

I don't know. It depends on the direction Idzik puts us in for the season.

If we're going into it as a rebuild year (even one with a candy coating) and Sanchez is still the QB - or a rookie starts - and I think he survives any record at 8-8 or better with a chance of retaining the job at 7-9 depending on the particulars of the season (6-8 rookies and one-year stop-gap players starting, significant injuries, a couple of bad breaks, etc.).

Archived