Source: Tebow wasnt "forced" on Jets owner

JOJOTOWNSELL

once again, Woody the Scumbag doesnt feel the need to do the lil things like....ya know.....tell the truth, own up to his mistakes, be a stand up guy ect.......everyone will realize what a creep this guy is when its too late

http://www.nypost.co...XRGiEVpYN4LUiFO

MOBILE, Ala. — Ten months after the Jets traded for Tim Tebow, the move has become a hot topic again.

An ESPN report this week quoted Ted Sundquist, who interviewed for the Jets general manager job, saying Jets owner Woody Johnson told him the Tebow trade was “forced” on him by his front office, namely former GM Mike Tannenbaum.

A league source with direct knowledge of the trade said though Tannenbaum was the driving force behind the move, there is no way it can be characterized as being “forced” on Johnson.

“He owns the team,” the source said. “All he had to do was say ‘no.’ Nothing is ever forced on Woody.”

The source said it is true Tannenbaum is the member of the Jets organization who came up with the idea of trading for Tebow once the Broncos signed Peyton Manning. The source said once Tannenbaum came up with the idea, several members of the Jets organization tried to talk him out of the trade, saying Tebow was not an accurate passer. But Tannenbaum was not swayed.

“The thing picked up steam quick,” the source said.

Tannenbaum, who has not talked to reporters since being fired Dec. 31, declined to comment.

According to the ESPN report, Johnson told Sundquist he was on board shortly after the trade came up.

Tannenbaum said during the season he viewed Tebow as a backup quarterback capable of doing many other things for the team — such as zone-read option and wildcat plays. That role never materialized. Tebow played just 74 snaps (7 percent of the team’s total) during the season. Tebow ended up being a distraction, through no fault of his own, as a constant subject for the media.

It is unclear how head coach Rex Ryan felt about the trade at the time. Publicly he always has said he supported it, but Tebow’s limited playing time makes that hard to believe.

The Jets hired John Idzik to replace Tannenbaum last Friday. The Jets are expected to release Tebow next month. The question then will be whether any team takes a chance on Tebow, who helped the Broncos win the AFC West in 2011.

The Jets are talking to Tim McDonald about becoming their new defensive backs coach, according to a source. McDonald is currently the defensive backs coach at Fresno State.

The Jets promoted Dennis Thurman to defensive coordinator, according to a source, creating the opening.

Why do we persist in pretending that Tebow's presence here was somehow a bad thing?

Nothing negative happened besides media coverage. Further, Tebow did more than most backup QB's in that he converted several 4th downs.

So who cares?

Unless you're the kind of jackass that hates the Jets so much that you think Drew Stanton is a starting caliber QB in this league... lol. No.

Why do we persist in pretending that Tebow's presence here was somehow a bad thing?

Nothing negative happened besides media coverage. Further, Tebow did more than most backup QB's in that he converted several 4th downs.

So who cares?

Unless you're the kind of jackass that hates the Jets so much that you think Drew Stanton is a starting caliber QB in this league... lol. No.

The harm it did is that there was no real backup here when Sanchez was throwing away the Jets season who could go in and play. Stanton would've played alot this season.

It just speaks to the mans (lack of) character.......he really thought he was gonna get over on jetnation!!?? That's the crime here, that he thought anyone would actually believe that he didn't want Tebow and it was all someone else's fault

This man has problems

So to be clear here, your trashing of the owner is based on a second-hand retelling of something he allegedly said during a private conversation? The thing that's so comical is that if you read this whole thing, the "anonymous source" essentially confirms exactly what Woody reportedly said. As is mentioned in the article, Woody's position was that he was originally against the idea but: "According to the ESPN report, Johnson told Sundquist he was on board shortly after the trade came up."

Meanwhile, this source stated that: "The source said it is true Tannenbaum is the member of the Jets organization who came up with the idea of trading for Tebow once the Broncos signed Peyton Manning. The source said once Tannenbaum came up with the idea, several members of the Jets organization tried to talk him out of the trade, saying Tebow was not an accurate passer. But Tannenbaum was not swayed."

How exactly are these two items in any way contradictory? I'm not one who typically sees any reason to defend Woody, but this is pretty ridiculous.

So to be clear here, your trashing of the owner is based on a second-hand retelling of something he allegedly said during a private conversation? The thing that's so comical is that if you read this whole thing, the "anonymous source" essentially confirms exactly what Woody reportedly said. As is mentioned in the article, Woody's position was that he was originally against the idea but: "According to the ESPN report, Johnson told Sundquist he was on board shortly after the trade came up."

Meanwhile, this source stated that: "The source said it is true Tannenbaum is the member of the Jets organization who came up with the idea of trading for Tebow once the Broncos signed Peyton Manning. The source said once Tannenbaum came up with the idea, several members of the Jets organization tried to talk him out of the trade, saying Tebow was not an accurate passer. But Tannenbaum was not swayed."

How exactly are these two items in any way contradictory? I'm not one who typically sees any reason to defend Woody, but this is pretty ridiculous.

But it was in the New York Post........

For an entire year I read how it was all Woody's idea to get Tebow and that he just did it to grab the back page. Now I read an article that says that it was all Tannenbaum's idea and people tried to talk him out of it, but I am supposed to be outraged at Woody because he could have said no? Isn't the owner supposed to defer to his football people? Isn't that what we want?

The harm it did is that there was no real backup here when Sanchez was throwing away the Jets season who could go in and play. Stanton would've played alot this season.

And who is Drew Stanton? I'm confused on how people get so worked up over bad QBs. How the hell is Drew Stanton any better than Tebow? Tebow sucks as QB, but the guy did win a playoff game in Denver. He was great in College. What the hell did Drew Stanton ever do? Start 4 games in the NFL.. Wonderful, so that makes him some great backup QB who would magically turn the Jets season around?

He's a guy who has 5 TDs and 9 Interceptions in his career. Whether Tebow or Stanton were the backup of the NY Jets this season doesn't change anything. Sanchez would still have started. Sanchez would still have played all damn season. I mean McElroy was the 3rd string QB who didn't suit up for 14 out of 16 games. Don't make it like Drew Stanton is some great QB.

Truthfully Tebow was a pointless distraction that didnt' do a damn thing but make the Jets look like clowns. Tebow could have went to Jacksonville, the Jets kept Drew Stanton, and they'd still be 6-10 and Sanchez would still have played 15 out of 16 games.

"The source said once Tannenbaum came up with the idea, several members of the Jets organization tried to talk him out of the trade, saying Tebow was not an accurate passer"

I want to know who those members of the the organization are. And I would promote those common sensical bastids!

Tannenbaum was horrible. Just not a football guy and not even a good contract/cap guy as it turns out. i always said when the bills come due we'll all see the snake oil salesman for what he really is. I can't believe he's gone. It's like a superhero who finally defeats his arch enemy, and falls into a funk because there's nothing left to fight against. I....gulp....miss him?

Tannenbaum was horrible. Just not a football guy and not even a good contract/cap guy as it turns out. i always said when the bills come due we'll all see the snake oil salesman for what he really is. I can't believe he's gone. It's like a superhero who finally defeats his arch enemy, and falls into a funk because there's nothing left to fight against. I....gulp....miss him?

All good points, but did you really read my post.

All good points, but did you really read my post.

yeah I did read the post. it was about the fact that we actually had some non-yes-men types who disagreed with tanny and should probably be rewarded for standing up against him. My reply was lacking however, due to my obsessive dislike for Tannenbaum. and what started as a genuine reply to a good point...became another maniacal, obsessive statement about the evils of Tannenbaum and the loss of my own identity with his deposal. Sorry. You really did make sense. I'm just dealing with this, this thing right now. In time, i'm sure to find someone else to dispise. In the meantime, i guess i'll just retread Bradway.

yeah I did read the post. it was about the fact that we actually had some non-yes-men types who disagreed with tanny and should probably be rewarded for standing up against him. My reply was lacking however, due to my obsessive dislike for Tannenbaum. and what started as a genuine reply to a good point...became another maniacal, obsessive statement about the evils of Tannenbaum and the loss of my own identity with his deposal. Sorry. You really did make sense. I'm just dealing with this, this thing right now. In time, i'm sure to find someone else to dispise. In the meantime, i guess i'll just retread Bradway.

Let it go dude. Its not worth it.

For an entire year I read how it was all Woody's idea to get Tebow and that he just did it to grab the back page. Now I read an article that says that it was all Tannenbaum's idea and people tried to talk him out of it, but I am supposed to be outraged at Woody because he could have said no? Isn't the owner supposed to defer to his football people? Isn't that what we want?

Woody should've realized he didn't really have any football people.

Archived