Tim McDonald (Fresno State) hired as DB Coach

Jetsfan80

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1245536

NY Jets bring in Tim McDonald as defensive backs coach, Bobby April Jr. to be a quality controls coach

McDonald is a six-time Pro Bowler, April’s father has been a long-time special-teams coach in the NFL

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

johnson-rex.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

Rex Ryan (l.) and Woody Johnson will now have Bobby April Jr. on their staff.

The Jets are expected to hire Tim McDonald, 48, to be their defensive backs coach, the Daily News has learned.

McDonald, a six-time All-Pro who played 13 years in the NFL including his last seven with the 49ers, will replace Dennis Thurman, who was promoted to defensive coordinator.

The Jets also named Bobby April Jr. to be a quality controls coach.

April spent the past two seasons as a defensive quality controls coach for the Eagles. He helped out with defensive backs for part of last season as well.

Coaching career

McDonald coached youth football leading the Malloch Elementary football team to two undefeated seasons from 2001-2003. He is currently the football coach for his alma mater Edison High School in Fresno, where he coached his sons, Timothy McDonald, Jr. and Tevin McDonald. McDonald left Edison High in the 2010 football season, but is now back for 2011 and putting Edison back at the top.[3]

He's listed as an assistant coach in the secondary at Fresno State this past season.

Certainly can't argue the guys pro career.

well no i guess not i love rex's D. But i have no idea how this guy got the job. Eagles sucked

Can't be so shortsighted as to think that because they had a poor defense, everyone involved was terrible or inept. His job his to help with technique, breaking down film of opposing WRs and other strategy; he can't be blamed for lack of any semblance of a pass-rush, switching from a wide-9 to whatever else they went to, miss-communications btw linbackers and Dbacks etc. I personally don't know anything about him other than as a player, but it doesn't seem that Rex, in what could be his last year, is going to give the keys to his dbacks to just anybody. But who knows.

Coaching career

McDonald coached youth football leading the Malloch Elementary football team to two undefeated seasons from 2001-2003. He is currently the football coach for his alma mater Edison High School in Fresno, where he coached his sons, Timothy McDonald, Jr. and Tevin McDonald. McDonald left Edison High in the 2010 football season, but is now back for 2011 and putting Edison back at the top.[3]

He's listed as an assistant coach in the secondary at Fresno State this past season.

Certainly can't argue the guys pro career.

Malloch Elementary is the crown jewel on his resume.

Can't be so shortsighted as to think that because they had a poor defense, everyone involved was terrible or inept. His job his to help with technique, breaking down film of opposing WRs and other strategy; he can't be blamed for lack of any semblance of a pass-rush, switching from a wide-9 to whatever else they went to, miss-communications btw linbackers and Dbacks etc. I personally don't know anything about him other than as a player, but it doesn't seem that Rex, in what could be his last year, is going to give the keys to his dbacks to just anybody. But who knows.

im not saying the guy is terrible. But from what i know (the little skim i did) everything he had to do with on the eagles was bad lol. There corners were bad. Yes pass rush yes linebackers were bad but playing single coverage and getting burned like nnamdi did all those times is bad. Maybe im just salty about nnamdi and what happened to the jets but laughing now!

Why are the Jets bringing in a bunch of former Eagles coaches? A team that was so hyped the past few seasons and they stunk in every which direction. If they hired Reid to coach, it would make sense, but are they planning to fire Rex next year, promote Marty to HC, and relive the Eagles disaster years? I mean if Vick didn't dislike Marty so much, I bet they'd sign him.

Archived