What happens with Revis?

Pac

Is that provision in his contract that stipulates he'd be extended 3 years if he holds out still valid? Some are saying it's still there while others say it expired.

If it's a no, what can the Jets expect as far as contract demands? Average of 12 mil a year or so and 20 Mil guaranteed?

Will Idzik view this as a perfect opportunity to show there's a new sheriff in town?

If Revis' agents are as seemingly unreasonable as a couple years ago then I say ship him out... but how can you possibly hope to get fair value given the injury.

Quite the conundrum.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that provision in his contract that stipulates he'd be extended 3 years if he holds out still valid? Some are saying it's still there while others say it expired.

If it's a no, what can the Jets expect as far as contract demands? Average of 12 mil a year or so and 20 Mil guaranteed?

Will Idzik view this as a perfect opportunity to show there's a new sheriff in town?

If Revis' agents are as seemingly unreasonable as a couple years ago then I say ship him out... but how can you possibly hope to get fair value giving the injury thing.

Quite the conundrum.

If Revis plays this year under contract, those final three years void and he becomes a free agent whom the Jets can't franchise. I do think there will be discussions between Rex and Idzik about Revis, coming at it from completely different angles. I think $12M/year with $20M guaranteed is low - especially the guaranteed money. Guarantees could come part up front, and the rest after he proves he's still Revis, but I'd expect them to be in the $50M range. At least.

Idzik should have talked to Revis already to get a feel for what he expects in a new contract. If it's unreasonable, then the Jets might be wise to let Revis find a trading partner for himself. I don't think the Jets have to trade him for less than what he's worth because of the injury, I think they can get a second round pick up front, and a conditional pick that could be as high as a 1st if he hits some reasonable Revis-like incentives.

Due to the injury, the Jets could look to do a one year extension, and revisit doing a long term deal in 2014, too.

If Revis plays this year under contract, those final three years void and he becomes a free agent whom the Jets can't franchise. I do think there will be discussions between Rex and Idzik about Revis, coming at it from completely different angles. I think $12M/year with $20M guaranteed is low - especially the guaranteed money. Guarantees could come part up front, and the rest after he proves he's still Revis, but I'd expect them to be in the $50M range. At least.

Idzik should have talked to Revis already to get a feel for what he expects in a new contract. If it's unreasonable, then the Jets might be wise to let Revis find a trading partner for himself. I don't think the Jets have to trade him for less than what he's worth because of the injury, I think they can get a second round pick up front, and a conditional pick that could be as high as a 1st if he hits some reasonable Revis-like incentives.

Due to the injury, the Jets could look to do a one year extension, and revisit doing a long term deal in 2014, too.

He's not gonna take a 1 year deal.

He's not gonna take a 1 year deal.

He'll have feelers out about what his worth is on the open market. If the market is soft coming off the injury, I think he might.

Thing is, with a guy of Revis' caliber, I don't think the trade market or the money market is going to suffer all that much due to an injury that most players recover from fully nowadays.

He'll have feelers out about what his worth is on the open market. If the market is soft coming off the injury, I think he might.

Thing is, with a guy of Revis' caliber, I don't think the trade market or the money market is going to suffer all that much due to an injury that most players recover from fully nowadays.

There has got to be at least one or two teams who will break the bank for him...

This just isn't true.

Revis value has been hurt badly

ACL Injuries with NFL Players | Orthopedics

If you're at all a sports fan, or an athlete yourself, you've probably heard of the anterior cruciate ligament. It's commonly injured. Now a new study shows what happens to NFL players who are sidelined by their acl's, and it's not good news for players or fans and the owners. Now, a ligament is a strong piece of connective tissue that connects bone to bone across a joint. The anterior cruciate ligament crosses with the posterior cruciate ligament in the center of the knee. They control the backward and forward motion of the knee. The ACL in particular restrains excessive forward motion of the knee as well as the inward twisting or rotation of the knee. In fact, the ACL is frequently injured in severe twisting injuries of the knee or with a sudden stop. This new research in the American Journal of Sports Medicine looking specifically at ACL injuries in NFL players found those who suffer one of these injuries will likely never be the same player again. Essentially, total yards and touchdowns were markedly diminished when they returned after surgery.

Dr. James Gladstone, an orthopedic surgeon at Mt. Sinai Medical Center, says, "They're only playing at approximately 2/3rds of the level they were playing at before the injury." Dr. James Carey, the study author out of Vanderbilt University, says, "It's the first time anyone has used player performance and their statistics to look at the outcomes of a surgical procedure."

Perhaps the most concerning stat is that one fifth--21 percent--of the injured players never played another NFL game. "The predominant thinking when 31 head NFL team physicians were interviewed, is that 90 to 100 percent of players, presuming not borderline talent, return to the NFL," states Dr. Carey. Of those who did return, it took 9 to to 12 months to get back on the field.

"This study gives us pause and says even in the best case scenarios these are players who are going to work their butts off doing rehab 8 hours a day to get back to playing and even then a fifth of them, 20 percent aren't getting back to playing," Dr. Gladstone adds. Interestingly, those who get ACL injuries are more likely to be high-performance players. "They have frequent accelerations, decelerations, twisting, cutting maneuvers, that puts them at the highest risk," according to Dr. Carey.

They're more likely to be injured because they compete in more plays per game, carry the ball longer on each play, and attract more defensive attention. "The biggest problem with an ACL injury is that once it's torn there is no way that it's going to heal or be repaired, except with surgery," says Dr. Gladstone. But those great players end up less great after that surgery. It's believed players don't get back to where they were because of one or more factors, including knee pain, stiffness, loss of strength, deconditioning and reduced proprioception, which is the sense of knowing where your leg is.

Also, ACL reconstruction does not perfectly recreate the complex anatomy and composition of a player's ACL before injury. "They should have reasonable expectations for what they can expect their knee to do and how they can contribute to the team in the future and I think it's important to the fans and the team owners to similarly have those expectations that are realistic," Dr. Carey points out.

let him play on his current deal and if he's ballin, try to extend him during the year. if it totally fails let him walk and take the comp 3rd.

the question of what to do about Revis is fairly straightforward. there's not much to do in terms of choices.

let him play on his current deal and if he's ballin, try to extend him during the year. if it totally fails let him walk and take the comp 3rd.

the question of what to do about Revis is fairly straightforward. there's not much to do in terms of choices.

Untrue, trading him is the only option.

If he is one of the few who seem to recover fully, he will be a FA after the season. His cost will be through the roof. He won't be giving a "Hometown discount"

Jets are in very bad shape right now. Take what you can get, and move on for the future

What makes you think Revis will be ok with playing for 6 mil? If he does, what about his past history would make you think he won't walk out of spite in 14'?

Other than him accepting a fair long term deal, which is highly unlikely, I don't see a good outcome.

What makes you think Revis will be ok with playing for 6 mil? If he does, what about his past history would make you think he won't walk out of spite in 14'?

how about the fact that he got 16 game checks last year and only played in 3 games. 2012 is part of the story.

and if he's the old revis, rework his deal a month into the season. wouldn't have to play the whole year at 6.

how about the fact that he got 16 game checks last year and only played in 3 games. 2012 is part of the story.

and if he's the old revis, rework his deal a month into the season. wouldn't have to play the whole year at 6.

If he's the old Revis (unlikely) why do you think he would rework his contract a month into the season when he could finish the season and become a FA?

If he's the old Revis (unlikely) why do you think he would rework his contract a month into the season when he could finish the season and become a FA?

because of money. the Jets aren't gonna get a discount but the payroll is still 120+ mil and all teams need talent. We talk about the future, well the future is brighter with Revis than without him.

and by the way money is a team's way of showing respect. the highest paid player in the locker room is usually the team leader (mark sanchez aside). I don't believe the dollar is the most important thing to Revis but the best player on the team should be paid like it. Someone's gonna be the highest paid player on the Jets, it should be Revis. Who else is worth big money? if the answer is no one then that's not good.

because of money. the Jets aren't gonna get a discount but the payroll is still 120+ mil and all teams need talent. We talk about the future, well the future is brighter with Revis than without him.

That depends what they can get for him. If they can turn him into 3 offensive starters that might not be the case.

That depends what they can get for him. If they can turn him into 3 offensive starters that might not be the case.

Especially if one of those starters is at least a league average QB. No guarantee that that happens, but I'll trust the new GM for now. We know what our ceiling is without a QB, Revis or not, and its not a championship.

starters don't win games. Stars win games.

Jets would have won exactly 6 games with Revis this year.

Jets needs to infuse talent into every single unit on the team. Cannot tie up the entire payroll in the secondary, especially when you don't even have a quarterback on the roster.

Trade him.

Jets would have won exactly 6 games with Revis this year.

Jets needs to infuse talent into every single unit on the team. Cannot tie up the entire payroll in the secondary, especially when you don't even have a quarterback on the roster.

Trade him.

Bingo

If the Jets were still one of the top teams in the NFL, and appeared poised to move on to a home Super Bowl in 2014, I would certainly entertain the idea of giving up the farm for Revis.

They are not

At this point it would be stupid to pay Revis star QB kind of money when his impact on a floundering team would be minimal.

A star QB getting Revis’ money might bring the Jets back into the Super Bowl hunt a lot sooner then, a physically depleted Revis will.

Paying Revis the kind of money he wants would be as dumb as paying Harris as the most expensive LB’er in the NFL.

If someone is willing to gamble, and give up some draft picks for Revis. Do it

Untrue, trading him is the only option.

lol. Ridiculous. Get the greatest defensive back in the league.. maybe ever, and want to trade him. Then complain about the rest of the team being garbage being our front office doesn't make moves to get elite players. Makes tons of sense.

The point is, Revis does not make a bad team good. He's a cornerback. Making your corners the best and highest paid players on your roster is just not a recipe for success.

Neither is trading away your best player for picks that you can't have faith will become good players.

I would certainly agree with you IF the Jets were in a position to contend. However, the Jets are currently in shambles.

We had a terrible season. Terrible. No one will argue that. But I don't think we are in shambles. We need pieces, I agree.. absolutely. But get them through the draft. Trading away our best player for picks (which most likely won't fairly reflect his amazing worth), where those picks are a gamble that may or may not materialize into players of worth, is a bad bad recipe. Imagine we dump Revis, and take that pic and get another Vlad Ducasse. Thats suicide worthy.

We had a terrible season. Terrible. No one will argue that. But I don't think we are in shambles. We need pieces, I agree.. absolutely. But get them through the draft. Trading away our best player for picks (which most likely won't fairly reflect his amazing worth), where those picks are a gamble that may or may not materialize into players of worth, is a bad bad recipe. Imagine we dump Revis, and take that pic and get another Vlad Ducasse. Thats suicide worthy.

That would be drive one to commit seppuku. However, what if you are able to leverage the extra picks to get yourself a franchise QB?

I totally agree with this. While Revis is a great CB, Rex has shown that the D can still be solid without him. Plus, they've lost with him. I'm kind of tired of hearing how indispensable he is and the situation two years ago when he held out was ridiculous. I say follow the Parcells philosophy of "not accommodating any player" (when Parcells came to the Jets and LB Bobby Houston complained about OTAs, he was shipped out almost immediately even though he was arguably the best Jets LB at the time).

Bottom line: the team shouldn't be handcuffed by Revis, Tannenbaum already handcuffed the team with idiotic contracts for Sanchez and Holmes. Let the lesson be learned.

I totally agree with this. While Revis is a great CB, Rex has shown that the D can still be solid without him. Plus, they've lost with him. I'm kind of tired of hearing how indispensable he is and the situation two years ago when he held out was ridiculous. I say follow the Parcells philosophy of "not accommodating any player" (when Parcells came to the Jets and LB Bobby Houston complained about OTAs, he was shipped out almost immediately even though he was arguably the best Jets LB at the time).

Bottom line: the team shouldn't be handcuffed by Revis, Tannenbaum already handcuffed the team with idiotic contracts for Sanchez and Holmes. Let the lesson be learned.

Agree. On a bad squad, Revis becomes the ultimate handcuff.

Archived