Off-Season Mock

LAD_Brooklyn

Cut Pace, Smith, Smith, Scott, ($31 million) Pouha ($4 million) and free up to $35 million $7 mil dead money

Trade Cromartie ($8 mil) for 3 round pick

Restructure Harris and Mangold ($10 mil)

Approximately free up $53 mil. Raises us nearly $8 mil in dead money. That places us around $101 million with our cap being around $122 mil with the roll over cap space. $4 mil save for rookies leaves us with $16 mil.

Resign Moore, RFAs Howard, Cumberland, Mauga

Sign

James Casey, FB/TE, Texans. Age: 28

Delanie Walker, TE, 49ers. Age: 29

Brandon Gibson, WR, Rams. Age: 26

Richard Seymour, DT, Raiders. Age: 33

Mike DeVito, DE/DT, Jets. Age: 29

Victor Butler, DE/OLB, Cowboys. Age: 26

Jasper Brinkley, ILB, Vikings. Age: 28 (Vet Minimum)

Leroy Hill, OLB, Seahawks. Age: 30 (Vet Minimum)

Mike Jenkins, CB, Cowboys. Age: 28

Kenny Phillips, S, Giants. Age: 26

Louis Delmas, S, Lions. Age: 26

Michael Mitchell, S, Raiders. Age: 26

Alex Smith, QB, 49ers. Age: 29 Pending release and sign an incentive base Not Likely to be Earned (NLTBE) contract.

With the top 3 pass rusher possibly gone, I'll trade back in the mid-teens to focus on offense. In the trade back or course we pick up a mid second rounder..

Round 1

Chance Warmack, G, Alabama

Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina

Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Round 2

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

Dallas Thomas, OT/G, Tennessee

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Round 2

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Eric Reid, S, LSU

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

Round 3

Brandon Jenkins, DE, Florida State

Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma

Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia

Round 3

Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida

Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin

Robert Lester, S, Alabama

Round 4

Tyrann Mathieu, PR/KR - CB, LSU

Sean Porter, DE/OLB, Texas A&M

QB Tebow, Sanchez,

RB Gillislee, Powell, McKnight

FB Casey (H-Back)

WR Holmes, Gibson, Kerley, Hill,

TE Eiffert, Walker, Cumberland

T Brick, Howard, Johnson, Ducasse (G,T)

G Moore, Warmack

C Mangold,

DE Coples, Butler, McIntyre, Jenkins (designated pass rusher)

DT Wilkerson, Seymour, Devito, Ellis

OLB -Davis, Mauga (Sam and Mike LB), Hill

MLB Harris, Brinkley

CB Revis, Wilson, Jenkins, Mathieu (CB, SS), Lankster, Berry

FS Delmas, Jarret, Bush

SS Phillips, Mitchell

Cromarte for the a 3rd? Thats a horrible trade. And what do the Jets need with washed up Richard Seymour or Kenny Phillips who never plays? The rest of the guys you have there are just JAG's...

I like your draft better but Lane Johnson is a reach in R2 and I'm very worried about Eifert's blocking so i wouldn't draft him.

I like it except for bailing out on Cro and signing Alex Smith, who I think is a waste of time. Very excited about the idea of adding TEs and athletic OLmen to the mix. I'd like to see more WRs brought in, but no FA with options is signing here, so a few picks spent there would be tight.

I like it except for bailing out on Cro and signing Alex Smith, who I think is a waste of time. Very excited about the idea of adding TEs and athletic OLmen to the mix. I'd like to see more WRs brought in, but no FA with options is signing here, so a few picks spent there would be tight.

I didn't want to trade Cro but he and Homes are the only players that you can actually trade and save money on so my hands where some what forced. Also things would have been much tighter if I hadn't. There's no cap room to sign Smith, he would have to sign an incentive base Not Likely to be Earned (NLTBE) contract.Something we would have done if P. Manning wanted to be a Jet.

As for TEs would rather have Hunter and Casey both over Keller at the same price. No way am I handing out a mutil year $6-7 mil contract to a 29 year old Keller. Also Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford are both studs who I hope we target on day two, both have high upside.

I agree on the Jets being a backup plan for most but if players are looking for stop gap teams to just prove themselves after coming off an injured plague year similar to Landry and want to start I think they would consider the Jets as a destination ala Delmas, Phillips.

Cromarte for the a 3rd? Thats a horrible trade. And what do the Jets need with washed up Richard Seymour or Kenny Phillips who never plays? The rest of the guys you have there are just JAG's...

I like your draft better but Lane Johnson is a reach in R2 and I'm very worried about Eifert's blocking so i wouldn't draft him.

I would love to get more for Cro. I just didn't want to be a homer and and place a 1st rounder as I think that's too high for a player that's only a bump and run guy. So what do you say a second? With an extra second instead of a third I could have made my draft so much better. Phillips and Delmas are in the same position as Landry last season. As for Eifert's blocking I had the same concern but he improve so much this season also I think he's a better receiver then Zach Ertz.

Not terrible but have to agree with T0m that Smith is a waste of time and it's tough to trade Cromartie for so cheap.

Agree as Smith is a long shot and it has more to do with money as we're in a tough spot. As for Cro this trade would only be acceptable if the plan is to extend Revis at some point.

Cromartie would fetch a minimum 2nd rounder, and one in the top-half of the 2nd at that. This isn't homerism talking; there are teams - true 2013-2014 contenders - who would cream over getting a corner like him for a mid-2nd rounder or low 1st. He's a better CB than he was when we re-signed him as a consolation prize to Asomugha, is in his prime still, and under contract for 2 more years that could probably be easily extended by 1-2 years if the new team so desired. He's an instant upgrade to the team's best corner on any team that puts him on a man instead of wasting his talents in a zone defense like SD did.

I'm for moving him or Revis (both if and only if offers come in that simply can't be passed on). For a 3rd rounder I'd keep him for 2 years at $10M/year.

Speaking of Revis, the decision with regards to him is probably the biggest one of the offseason and it's unaddressed in the plan. I don't see an extension in these plans. If that's the plan - to do nothing with regards to Revis past the immediate season - then you trade Revis, not Cromartie. This plan calls for us to be rid of both Revis and Cromartie for 2014 and beyond, and all we'd have to show for the purge is a 2013 3rd rounder and a 2015 compensatory 3rd rounder that disappears if we sign a premiere UFA in 2014.

No, what you do - if you're not giving Revis a $15M/year extension with $50M guaranteed - is trade him for a 1st or more (ideally more) and keep Cromartie for 2 more years. After moving Revis, if someone then approaches us with a low 1st round offer for Cromartie I think you still have to grab it. Yeah he's under contract for 2 more seasons, but one of them is looking like a throw-away season so it's inconsequential whether he's here or not.

I want no part of Alex Smith on a shiny new contract. Also want no part of restructuring (read: extending) David Harris, though I agree it is at least as likely as not to happen.

But it's a lot easier to pick at a plan than come up with one's own.

I've seen Delanie Walker drop more balls the past two weeks than Keller and Cumberland combined for their careers. Is he a killer blocker?

He's supposedly is, yes. I haven't witnessed this great blocking from him, but I don't watch and keep rewinding every play of every 49ers game either. Not enough to concentrate on the blocking skills of their backup TE.

If that's the plan - to do nothing with regards to Revis past the immediate season

I don't understand why this prospect so terrifies everyone. Even if you assume we have to keep him the odds are pretty good that we get a better deal by letting him hit free agency than by letting him make the market again. Nothing good is going to happen fast because Revis is counting on the Jets to panic.

I don't understand why this prospect so terrifies everyone. Even if you assume we have to keep him the odds are pretty good that we get a better deal by letting him hit free agency than by letting him make the market again. Nothing good is going to happen fast because Revis is counting on the Jets to panic.

This prospect leaves us with nothing for a valuable commodity is why it terrifies everyone.

If we do nothing, then the only way we don't end up empty-handed is outbidding 31 other teams for his services.

How do you figure we get a better deal by letting him hit free agency? I realize the potential is there for no one else to be interested in him at >$12M/year - like when we let Braylon Edwards hit FA - but Revis is an all-time great still in his 20s, and Edwards spent the overwhelming bulk of his pro career underachieving (in between being a general putzhead). It is possible, but it isn't likely that no one will put up big bucks for Revis. All it takes is one team and we get nothing.

The sure thing is to move him.

Making a fast move isn't always panicking. Often it's just being decisive. I would agree it's a panic move if we accept a late 2nd for him. I also think the chances of that happening are remote.

This prospect leaves us with nothing for a valuable commodity is why it terrifies everyone.

If we do nothing, then the only way we don't end up empty-handed is outbidding 31 other teams for his services.

How do you figure we get a better deal by letting him hit free agency? I realize the potential is there for no one else to be interested in him at >$12M/year - like when we let Braylon Edwards hit FA - but Revis is an all-time great still in his 20s, and Edwards spent the overwhelming bulk of his pro career underachieving (in between being a general putzhead). It is possible, but it isn't likely that no one will put up big bucks for Revis. All it takes is one team and we get nothing.

The sure thing is to move him.

Making a fast move isn't always panicking. Often it's just being decisive. I would agree it's a panic move if we accept a late 2nd for him. I also think the chances of that happening are remote.

I'm with del sol. It's not that I think we should avoid moving him, but I think he's right. People are so scared of having him play the year and leave. What's the big ****ing deal? That isn't going to be some kind of huge setbackf for the team. He's a valuable commodity, but if we aren't going to get value for him, then **** it.

I also love how the team supposedly has to make the playoffs for Rex to stay, but we are also supposed to trade away Revis and Cromartie, for 2014 picks no less. We are also supposed to take our cap lumps on everybody we can this year, but then WE HAVE TO FIRE REX if we don't make the playoffs. That's moronic. I understand the guys that just hate him, but he can do a good job without making the playoffs this year, depending on what the makeup of the team is and what assets they have to burn for 2014.

I'm with del sol. It's not that I think we should avoid moving him, but I think he's right. People are so scared of having him play the year and leave. What's the big ****ing deal? That isn't going to be some kind of huge setbackf for the team. He's a valuable commodity, but if we aren't going to get value for him, then **** it.

Have to either extend him or trade him. No middle ground. If they're interested in keeping him, they should open negotiations right away. At the same time, they should be fielding offers. If they can't get a deal done before the draft, they should move him. No point in having a semi-gimpy HoF'er for one year on a team that's unlikely to go anywhere.

As Sperm said, even the 3rd round comp pick (@ #100 overall) isn't guaranteed if he signs elsewhere. The Jets will have a lot of cap room themselves in 2014, and could easily buy the big ticket item that would wipe out the comp pick for Revis.

I also love how the team supposedly has to make the playoffs for Rex to stay, but we are also supposed to trade away Revis and Cromartie, for 2014 picks no less. We are also supposed to take our cap lumps on everybody we can this year, but then WE HAVE TO FIRE REX if we don't make the playoffs. That's moronic. I understand the guys that just hate him, but he can do a good job without making the playoffs this year, depending on what the makeup of the team is and what assets they have to burn for 2014.

I agree 100% with the rest of this post, though.

Losing Revis and getting a 1st back is better than losing Revis and getting a 3rd round comp, no?

Have to either extend him or trade him. No middle ground. If they're interested in keeping him, they should open negotiations right away. At the same time, they should be fielding offers. If they can't get a deal done before the draft, they should move him. No point in having a semi-gimpy HoF'er for one year on a team that's unlikely to go anywhere.

As Sperm said, even the 3rd round comp pick (@ #100 overall) isn't guaranteed if he signs elsewhere. The Jets will have a lot of cap room themselves in 2014, and could easily buy the big ticket item that would wipe out the comp pick for Revis.

It's not that I don't think they should trade him, it's that I think we may not get any good offers. I think we should field offers and prepare to keep him. First of all, that's just good business sense. Don't let teams think they can force our hand.

I can pretty much see where we are heading. We don't get any decent offers (at best like Abraham where we insisted on a 1st and ended up with the last pick in the round). We keep Revis and the board is full of guys claiming that we ****ed up for not getting 2 firsts and a third and telling us we could have drafted ______________(fill in blank with players selected in the 3rd round and later that in hindsight are quality starters).

yes but neither is as good as keeping Revis.

Idzik's life mission right now has to be finding an A+/A- quarterback. If trading Revis gives him a few extra draft picks with which to do it, along with gaining them a higher draft pick (assuming Revis is worth ~two wins), then he should do so, IMO. No reason to tread water while paying Revis his money.

Cromartie would fetch a minimum 2nd rounder, and one in the top-half of the 2nd at that. This isn't homerism talking; there are teams - true 2013-2014 contenders - who would cream over getting a corner like him for a mid-2nd rounder or low 1st. He's a better CB than he was when we re-signed him as a consolation prize to Asomugha, is in his prime still, and under contract for 2 more years that could probably be easily extended by 1-2 years if the new team so desired. He's an instant upgrade to the team's best corner on any team that puts him on a man instead of wasting his talents in a zone defense like SD did.

I disagree with a team giving up a top 40 prospect slot (early second rounder) for Cro along with pay him $9 mil in salary. As for Cro there's not many teams that bump and run like us. He will get killed in a zone coverage defense so the suitor strink when you factor in salary, style and giving up a high draft pick.

I'm for moving him or Revis (both if and only if offers come in that simply can't be passed on). For a 3rd rounder I'd keep him for 2 years at $10M/year.

It would be easier if you had your own mock so I can see your thought process but going from this you'll hardly have enough money to sign other free agents better yet your own if you were to keep Cro over taking a second or a third for him. What would be your solution of freeing up cap space for our cap strap team?

Speaking of Revis, the decision with regards to him is probably the biggest one of the offseason and it's unaddressed in the plan. I don't see an extension in these plans. If that's the plan - to do nothing with regards to Revis past the immediate season - then you trade Revis, not Cromartie. This plan calls for us to be rid of both Revis and Cromartie for 2014 and beyond, and all we'd have to show for the purge is a 2013 3rd rounder and a 2015 compensatory 3rd rounder that disappears if we sign a premiere UFA in 2014.

Kind of a hard critic hear in regards to wanting a detailed mock lol. If I had the time I would and reading over the post you would see that I address that. Just read over my post.

But it's a lot easier to pick at a plan than come up with one's own.

Should have listen to your own advise as this off-season will be a tough one.

It's looking like Lane Johnson is going to be a mid first rounder.

I see him projeted as a second. Someone mentioned 3rd in the thread and you said 1st but I see him as an early mid -2nd.

as for this mock, need much more help at WR.

If this team does not draft offense in the first round I will lose it. Can trade back or draft a OL but it had better address the O first.

We are for sure going into the season with question at some position as we can't fix everything. WR in this situation happen to be the position although I had us signing Gibson (Rams) who is similar to Kerley production wise but not a big play guy and has consistency issues. Even a guy of his caliber we may not be able to afford. Also notice I left out the bottom 3 round. Maybe you can add that to the mock with us picking up a developmental WR.

As for Revis I want two1st and two thirds like the Chiefs got for Jared Allen who was less proven at the time then he is now. I would drop it to two 1st and one 3rd but would take nothing less. How long we have? Till the trade dea line of next year. Who know by then he'll probably can display he's back to full form. But of course I would want to negotiate with him before trading him as I want him to be a Jets for as long as possible.

All we need is two teams to be hot for Revis. The Cowboys are sure to be in play -- this is just the kind of acquisition that gives Jerry a hard on. There is no way there is not at least one other team that feels the same way. Also, contending teams are the only ones that benefit from getting and paying Revis, so the 1st rounder(s) are probably late picks (unless a pick received from another team is available) -- multiple picks will be necessary to create reasonable value. Very unlikely that an almost certain trade bidding war leave the Jets coming up short. It's something that really cannot be #$%ed up.

Archived