Off-Season Mock

LAD_Brooklyn

Revis is not the commodity. The commodity is the exclusive right to give Revis a hundred million dollars to lock him up before he can test free agency. It's not a subtle distinction.

Subtle or not, it is a distinction without a difference. No one can sign him long-term until they have his rights, which we are able to sell.

You can make a distinction as to whether Revis is locked up or Revis is not locked up, but he has trade value either way. He doesn't have the same trade value either way, but either way, Revis is a commodity that can be traded. In other words, he would have value A as an under-contract player if he was already locked up long-term, and he has value B as a player with 1 year left with the right to lock him up long-term. Revis has value B right now. The team that trades for him will likely already have a deal worked out with him so no one is trading for him to just get the rights to do something or not do something with him later, particularly since he can't be franchise tagged (like Al Davis did with Seymour).

We should either extend him (if a reasonable deal can be worked out) or trade him this offseason. It appears that is what is going to happen. The worst thing possible is to just hold onto him for one more inconsequential season and which then leaves us with (a) nothing, or (b) the need to outbid every other NFL team to re-sign him in March of 2014.

Idzik's life mission right now has to be finding an A+/A- quarterback. If trading Revis gives him a few extra draft picks with which to do it, along with gaining them a higher draft pick (assuming Revis is worth ~two wins), then he should do so, IMO. No reason to tread water while paying Revis his money.

Agreed. I would trade Revis straight up for Luck right now.

Here is my offseason. Settle on what you are doing with Revis. And by settle on it I mean make plans to keep him a Jet forever. Call me old fashioned but I don't like trading hall of famers for the unknown. So either sign him know or make sure you can do so later in the season so he doesn't walk.

Keep Cromartie.

ReSign Landry.

Talk to Sanchez nicely and tell him that it isn't good that he turns the ball over 2 times for every TD he throws. Get him to agree that this is bad. Also get him to assure you that he will stop.

Resign Braylon.

Address offense in every round of the draft, other than when you have a linebacker in front of you that can start next season.

Guys -- I am really glad I can help. Since I just pretty much solved all the Jets problems, I feel like we should just lock this thread down. I will leave it open so you all can comment on my greatness.

I disagree with a team giving up a top 40 prospect slot (early second rounder) for Cro along with pay him $9 mil in salary. As for Cro there's not many teams that bump and run like us. He will get killed in a zone coverage defense so the suitor strink when you factor in salary, style and giving up a high draft pick.

It would be easier if you had your own mock so I can see your thought process but going from this you'll hardly have enough money to sign other free agents better yet your own if you were to keep Cro over taking a second or a third for him. What would be your solution of freeing up cap space for our cap strap team?

Kind of a hard critic hear in regards to wanting a detailed mock lol. If I had the time I would and reading over the post you would see that I address that. Just read over my post.

Should have listen to your own advise as this off-season will be a tough one.

I wasn't finding fault with your draft or some other moves. All I was saying is you didn't address what we do with the best player we've had in 40 years (if not ever), who is a FA after this season. Also I don't consider acquiring Alex Smith unreasonable; I just don't like the move because I don't think much of him. I don't know how likely it is, with him coming off his best season, that he's going to sign a friendly deal with the Jets that is low on guarantees and heavy on incentives anyway.

Revis and our QB situation are the 2 biggest moves so I commented on those 2 things. Plus I thought - and still think - Cromartie's trade value is higher than you laid out.

I don't disagree this will be a tough off-season. But because someone else hasn't done a lengthy, full off-season mock of the entire roster and draft at the same time you did doesn't mean that people have to keep quiet until they do.

I wasn't finding fault with your draft or some other moves. All I was saying is you didn't address what we do with the best player we've had in 40 years (if not ever), who is a FA after this season. Also I don't consider acquiring Alex Smith unreasonable; I just don't like the move because I don't think much of him. I don't know how likely it is, with him coming off his best season, that he's going to sign a friendly deal with the Jets that is low on guarantees and heavy on incentives anyway.

Revis and our QB situation are the 2 biggest moves so I commented on those 2 things. Plus I thought - and still think - Cromartie's trade value is higher than you laid out.

I don't disagree this will be a tough off-season. But because someone else hasn't done a lengthy, full off-season mock of the entire roster and draft at the same time you did doesn't mean that people have to keep quiet until they do.

No reason to be defensive, just stated out the fact that this will be a tough-off-season. Not in any way or form was I trying to place a padlock on anyone's mouth. I just ask you a simple question that I will ask again to see where your coming from.

Q: What would be your solution on freeing up cap space for our cap strap team?

Q: What team does Cro fit into interms of style, salary and you see willing to give up an early second for?

As for your question regarding the plan with Revis and trading Cro was answered in the thread.

No reason to be defensive, just stated out the fact that this will be a tough-off-season. Not in any way or form was I trying to place a padlock on anyone's mouth. I just ask you a simple question that I will ask again to see where your coming from.

Q: What would be your solution on freeing up cap space for our cap strap team?

Q: What team does Cro fit into interms of style, salary and you see willing to give up an early second for?

As for your question regarding the plan with Revis and trading Cro was answered in the thread.

My solution is not a popular one, since my priority is to be a contender again by 2014, not bleed but bleed more slowly in 2013.

Trade Revis even though he's the best CB I ever saw, unless he can be locked up for just-above Cromartie money (which won't happen). Also wouldn't happen because I wouldn't allow a front-heavy contract with him or he'll just hold out again after the guaranteed money is over. The only way to re-sign him is what we're doing now: put out feelers and let him find out no one wants to guarantee him that much money. If they are willing to, good for him. Trading him not only nets us a 1st (at a minimum) for a player we can't or won't lock up, it also leaves us free and clear of him for 2014. Keep in mind there's some $12M he's already pocketed that hasn't hit any prior salary caps. So keeping him one more year leaves us not only with no compensation for him but on top of that makes a $9M hole in our 2014 cap. I've outlined this and more in other threads, but the basic gist is that the only thing worse than losing Revis is losing him, getting nothing for him, and taking an almost 8-figure cap hit in 2014 when I hope we're a serious team again.

After that, I'd still entertain offers for Cromartie. I think your assessment of there being a lack of interest in a man corner is because there are so few of them that can do the job effectively with today's rules. It's an exercise in futility to try to cover receivers today - particularly the better ones - without someone like Cromartie or Revis. In other words, other than some exceptions where the DC is a true zone coverage guy (like Spag) no matter who is on his team, I'm sure many teams employ that coverage in the secondary due to the necessity for lack of having an adequate cover corner. There will be interest in Cromartie. If, after moving Revis, he only garners a very low 2 or a high 3, then I'd keep him and let his contract run out. Only reason I'd advocate moving him is because he only has 2 years left on his deal and for 1 of them there is a 0% chance of winning or competing for a SB. I'd like to be competitive (truly competitive) in '14 and Cromartie would help. But he'll be a UFA the year after that and in 2014 he'll be at an age (31) where locking him up beyond that becomes less likely to be a solid investment. But for a 3rd round pick, I'd keep Cromartie on the team for 1 year since it also comes with first-refusal rights beyond 2014.

Sanchez I would just dump now. I don't think it's likely to happen because of peripheral reasons - like Woody maybe not wanting to pay him $8M to play elsewhere with no salary offset - but that's what I'd do. Take the beating in '13 so we don't have a $5M hole in our '14 cap if he plays out '13 and is then cut (or if he's cut/traded after June 1). Get his sulky loser face out of the locker room.

Play wait-and-see with Holmes. Similar to Sanchez in the hit it would take to get rid of him now, but unlike Sanchez he actually has talent.

I would try to leave Harris alone. The only thing worse than his disgusting $13M cap figure is having it leak over into the following season. He's not the player he was, and he was never great enough to warrant a deal like he was handed anyway.

I have a meeting now but I'll write more later.

I think they have to figure out how to resign Landry, Devito, Edwards, Howard, Keller and one of Moore or Slauson.

With the hiring of Mornhinweg Keller becomes a bigger deal.

ya keller stepped in shiite with Marty being named OC. saved his Jets job

Keller plus a Eifert/Ertz sized TE that can block and run would be a nice step towards getting something from QB.

yeah but I was thinking....get your OLB edge rusher in the 1st, whatever QB u like in the 2nd, OG in the 3rd, safety in the 4th, TE in the 5th and see if Powell and McKnight can carry the load along w a late pick.

yeah but I was thinking....get your OLB edge rusher in the 1st, whatever QB u like in the 2nd, OG in the 3rd, safety in the 4th, TE in the 5th and see if Powell and McKnight can carry the load along w a late pick.

BAP rounds 1-4 without deviation.

Rounds 5-7, target the positions you had hoped would rise to top of your draft board earlier, but didn't.

My solution is not a popular one, since my priority is to be a contender again by 2014, not bleed but bleed more slowly in 2013.

Trade Revis even though he's the best CB I ever saw, unless he can be locked up for just-above Cromartie money (which won't happen). Also wouldn't happen because I wouldn't allow a front-heavy contract with him or he'll just hold out again after the guaranteed money is over. The only way to re-sign him is what we're doing now: put out feelers and let him find out no one wants to guarantee him that much money. If they are willing to, good for him. Trading him not only nets us a 1st (at a minimum) for a player we can't or won't lock up, it also leaves us free and clear of him for 2014. Keep in mind there's some $12M he's already pocketed that hasn't hit any prior salary caps. So keeping him one more year leaves us not only with no compensation for him but on top of that makes a $9M hole in our 2014 cap. I've outlined this and more in other threads, but the basic gist is that the only thing worse than losing Revis is losing him, getting nothing for him, and taking an almost 8-figure cap hit in 2014 when I hope we're a serious team again.

After that, I'd still entertain offers for Cromartie. I think your assessment of there being a lack of interest in a man corner is because there are so few of them that can do the job effectively with today's rules. It's an exercise in futility to try to cover receivers today - particularly the better ones - without someone like Cromartie or Revis. In other words, other than some exceptions where the DC is a true zone coverage guy (like Spag) no matter who is on his team, I'm sure many teams employ that coverage in the secondary due to the necessity for lack of having an adequate cover corner. There will be interest in Cromartie. If, after moving Revis, he only garners a very low 2 or a high 3, then I'd keep him and let his contract run out. Only reason I'd advocate moving him is because he only has 2 years left on his deal and for 1 of them there is a 0% chance of winning or competing for a SB. I'd like to be competitive (truly competitive) in '14 and Cromartie would help. But he'll be a UFA the year after that and in 2014 he'll be at an age (31) where locking him up beyond that becomes less likely to be a solid investment. But for a 3rd round pick, I'd keep Cromartie on the team for 1 year since it also comes with first-refusal rights beyond 2014.

Sanchez I would just dump now. I don't think it's likely to happen because of peripheral reasons - like Woody maybe not wanting to pay him $8M to play elsewhere with no salary offset - but that's what I'd do. Take the beating in '13 so we don't have a $5M hole in our '14 cap if he plays out '13 and is then cut (or if he's cut/traded after June 1). Get his sulky loser face out of the locker room.

Play wait-and-see with Holmes. Similar to Sanchez in the hit it would take to get rid of him now, but unlike Sanchez he actually has talent.

I would try to leave Harris alone. The only thing worse than his disgusting $13M cap figure is having it leak over into the following season. He's not the player he was, and he was never great enough to warrant a deal like he was handed anyway.

I have a meeting now but I'll write more later.

We have very similar views so good write up. As for Harris, he has two year on his contract. Most of that money is guaranteed for the most part so money isn't really being leak over to the following year at all. It's simply a shift in assets as we've changing our payment options from him earning $13 mil over the season to instead make $6 mil now in signing bonus with the other $7 mil being earned over the year. All but $4 mil of his $36 mil is guaranteed on his contract.

And not you specifically but I hear a lot say Harris isn't worth his pay which is drivel as I think he's worth $8 mil annually. The reason his cap hit is high right now is because he did this team a favor an accept to earn $2.5 mil in the 1st year of his contract to help out on other signings. He could of easily said screw us and just signed for the franchise tag, something Revis would never have done for us.

We have very similar views so good write up. As for Harris, he has two year on his contract. Most of that money is guaranteed for the most part so money isn't really being leak over to the following year at all. It's simply a shift in assets as we've changing our payment options from him earning $13 mil over the season to instead make $6 mil now in signing bonus with the other $7 mil being earned over the year. All but $4 mil of his $36 mil is guaranteed on his contract.

And not you specifically but I hear a lot say Harris isn't worth his pay which is drivel as I think he's worth $8 mil annually. The reason his cap hit is high right now is because he did this team a favor an accept to earn $2.5 mil in the 1st year of his contract to help out on other signings. He could of easily said screw us and just signed for the franchise tag, something Revis would never have done for us.

I meant leave Harris alone specifically to prevent any more guaranteed money spilling over to 2014. Also we don't really agree on his worth. He may have been worth that a few years ago under his rookie deal, but he's regressed a lot, can't cover, and runs like he's carrying Kenrick Ellis on his back.

He accepted $2.5M in the 1st year because we guaranteed an unheard-of $30M of his $36M contract. He is not the martyr in this or any other story and there is no chance he would have played out the year under the franchise tag instead of signing a contract guaranteeing him $30M over the next 3 years.

Archived