53 replies to this topic

#51 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,205 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

yeah but I was thinking....get your OLB edge rusher in the 1st, whatever QB u like in the 2nd, OG in the 3rd, safety in the 4th, TE in the 5th and see if Powell and McKnight can carry the load along w a late pick.

BAP rounds 1-4 without deviation.

Rounds 5-7, target the positions you had hoped would rise to top of your draft board earlier, but didn't.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#52 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,309 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

BAP rounds 1-4 without deviation.

Rounds 5-7, target the positions you had hoped would rise to top of your draft board earlier, but didn't.

i wonder if they're like, "Tim, if he's there in the 4th we're taking him."

Edited by HessStation, 28 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#53 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

My solution is not a popular one, since my priority is to be a contender again by 2014, not bleed but bleed more slowly in 2013.

Trade Revis even though he's the best CB I ever saw, unless he can be locked up for just-above Cromartie money (which won't happen). Also wouldn't happen because I wouldn't allow a front-heavy contract with him or he'll just hold out again after the guaranteed money is over. The only way to re-sign him is what we're doing now: put out feelers and let him find out no one wants to guarantee him that much money. If they are willing to, good for him. Trading him not only nets us a 1st (at a minimum) for a player we can't or won't lock up, it also leaves us free and clear of him for 2014. Keep in mind there's some $12M he's already pocketed that hasn't hit any prior salary caps. So keeping him one more year leaves us not only with no compensation for him but on top of that makes a $9M hole in our 2014 cap. I've outlined this and more in other threads, but the basic gist is that the only thing worse than losing Revis is losing him, getting nothing for him, and taking an almost 8-figure cap hit in 2014 when I hope we're a serious team again.

After that, I'd still entertain offers for Cromartie. I think your assessment of there being a lack of interest in a man corner is because there are so few of them that can do the job effectively with today's rules. It's an exercise in futility to try to cover receivers today - particularly the better ones - without someone like Cromartie or Revis. In other words, other than some exceptions where the DC is a true zone coverage guy (like Spag) no matter who is on his team, I'm sure many teams employ that coverage in the secondary due to the necessity for lack of having an adequate cover corner. There will be interest in Cromartie. If, after moving Revis, he only garners a very low 2 or a high 3, then I'd keep him and let his contract run out. Only reason I'd advocate moving him is because he only has 2 years left on his deal and for 1 of them there is a 0% chance of winning or competing for a SB. I'd like to be competitive (truly competitive) in '14 and Cromartie would help. But he'll be a UFA the year after that and in 2014 he'll be at an age (31) where locking him up beyond that becomes less likely to be a solid investment. But for a 3rd round pick, I'd keep Cromartie on the team for 1 year since it also comes with first-refusal rights beyond 2014.

Sanchez I would just dump now. I don't think it's likely to happen because of peripheral reasons - like Woody maybe not wanting to pay him $8M to play elsewhere with no salary offset - but that's what I'd do. Take the beating in '13 so we don't have a $5M hole in our '14 cap if he plays out '13 and is then cut (or if he's cut/traded after June 1). Get his sulky loser face out of the locker room.

Play wait-and-see with Holmes. Similar to Sanchez in the hit it would take to get rid of him now, but unlike Sanchez he actually has talent.

I would try to leave Harris alone. The only thing worse than his disgusting $13M cap figure is having it leak over into the following season. He's not the player he was, and he was never great enough to warrant a deal like he was handed anyway.

I have a meeting now but I'll write more later.

We have very similar views so good write up. As for Harris, he has two year on his contract. Most of that money is guaranteed for the most part so money isn't really being leak over to the following year at all. It's simply a shift in assets as we've changing our payment options from him earning $13 mil over the season to instead make $6 mil now in signing bonus with the other $7 mil being earned over the year. All but $4 mil of his $36 mil is guaranteed on his contract.

And not you specifically but I hear a lot say Harris isn't worth his pay which is drivel as I think he's worth $8 mil annually. The reason his cap hit is high right now is because he did this team a favor an accept to earn $2.5 mil in the 1st year of his contract to help out on other signings. He could of easily said screw us and just signed for the franchise tag, something Revis would never have done for us.

#54 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,049 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

We have very similar views so good write up. As for Harris, he has two year on his contract. Most of that money is guaranteed for the most part so money isn't really being leak over to the following year at all. It's simply a shift in assets as we've changing our payment options from him earning $13 mil over the season to instead make $6 mil now in signing bonus with the other $7 mil being earned over the year. All but $4 mil of his $36 mil is guaranteed on his contract.

And not you specifically but I hear a lot say Harris isn't worth his pay which is drivel as I think he's worth $8 mil annually. The reason his cap hit is high right now is because he did this team a favor an accept to earn $2.5 mil in the 1st year of his contract to help out on other signings. He could of easily said screw us and just signed for the franchise tag, something Revis would never have done for us.

I meant leave Harris alone specifically to prevent any more guaranteed money spilling over to 2014. Also we don't really agree on his worth. He may have been worth that a few years ago under his rookie deal, but he's regressed a lot, can't cover, and runs like he's carrying Kenrick Ellis on his back.

He accepted $2.5M in the 1st year because we guaranteed an unheard-of $30M of his $36M contract. He is not the martyr in this or any other story and there is no chance he would have played out the year under the franchise tag instead of signing a contract guaranteeing him $30M over the next 3 years.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

Morn - hin - weg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users