The All Revis Trade Discussion Threads are the Same Discussion Thread - MERGED NUMEROUS TIMES

jetfan718

Huh? Do you have any insight of the value of draft picks? The 1st overall is valued at 3,000 points while the 9th overall is 1,350. For us to normally trade up to the 1st it would require swapping a high 1st, giving up their current 2nd rounder and trading away 2 future 1st round picks. This is similar to what the Redskins did to trade up with the Rams.

Having the number one pick is a huge trade asset for any team looking for an elite prospect or a ransom. Also their 2nd round pick is the 33rd pick? That's like a late 1st rounder.

I thought the point structure was being reevaluated? That isn't an exact science. You think the Broncos would have to up their offer because they are at the bottom of the round? I think that helps them. Look at the Abraham deal. Everybody was so happy we got a 1st. Yippee. They can give us a less value, but the press and public will be more likely to be accepting.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about the chief just give us their #1 and 3rd or gtfo.

Too valuable of an asset. If anything the Chiefs would be better of trading out of the number one overall pick and gathering up assets like the Rams. From there trade one of the 1st rounder they received for Revis, but doing so straight up doesn't sound too smart at all.

Huh? Do you have any insight of the value of draft picks? The 1st overall is valued at 3,000 points while the 9th overall is 1,350. For us to normally trade up to the 1st it would require swapping a high 1st, giving up their current 2nd rounder and trading away 2 future 1st round picks. This is similar to what the Redskins did to trade up with the Rams.

Having the number one pick is a huge trade asset for any team looking for an elite prospect or a ransom. Also their 2nd round pick is the 33rd pick? That's like a late 1st rounder.

I think he means why would we trade up to number one when there isn't someone there worth trading for.

Not this year it's not.

I thought the point structure was being reevaluated? That isn't an exact science.

Look at the current point structure and look at the trades the past two drafts and the current point structures fits right in line in regards to draft trades.

You think the Broncos would have to up their offer because they are at the bottom of the round? I think that helps them.

Why shouldn't a lesser valued pick have less value than a higher? I don't even know how this can be questioned.

Look at the Abraham deal. Everybody was so happy we got a 1st. Yippee. They can give us a less value, but the press and public will be more likely to be accepting.

I don't know how Abraham and Revis situation are even comparable as the situation are tremendously different.

I think he means why would we trade up to number one when there isn't someone there worth trading for.

Pretty much. I mean, I'm not seeing the point here. We have a future HOF'er to deal. Why trade him to get to the 1 unless we're talking franchise QB or a mega-star at an offensive skill position (e.g. Calvin Johnson-type). I don't see the value here.

Given that there are no sure QB's in this year, and given the fact that future picks are worth less, I would rather trade for future picks

What is the possibility that we have landry, cro, bell, and revis as our starting backfield again next year?

IMO....that should be the focus of the defensive...bc at that point all you need is a little more youth/speed at linebacker and a solid replacement for Pace...then this defense would be ELITE.....maybe if anything we trade cro so we can use that cap relief for the linebackers and/or Pace's replacement. If this Idzik guy is a money expert then he can find a way to use little money to bring some youth/speed to this linebacker core.....and the def line seems to be well on its way by next year with Coples and MO....

I have no solutions or suggestions for the offense...to far gone

Personally if I were the Jets I'd work on getting him extended for a reasonable CB value (8m or so plus bonus). If this doesn't work you have to trade him. The idiot bean counter took the Jets leverage away by taking the franchise tag off the table. Sorry getting a potential first rounder or a package of draft picks is greater than 1 selfish player who just wants to get paid. Losing him the year after and getting a POSSIBLE 3rd round draft pick (there are rules to the compensatory picks) is unacceptable. Draft picks are like gold now.

It's been brought up to death. I've brought it up only 15 times myself.

He's a $12M cap hit to trade, but it's a "net" cap hit of $3M. $3M is locked into hitting 2013's cap no matter what. So you don't count that twice. Plus his $6M salary for the year.

Lose him next year and it's a pure $9M cap hit, which is a pure net $9M hit.

Keep him via an extension/reworking of his current deal and add $3M/year to whatever numbers we agree upon for the cap hits through 2016 for money we've already paid him in the past (your $12M divided over 4 years). So new deal worth $17M/year is effectively $20M/year, etc.

He isn't worth that, and the reason isn't because he isn't a great enough CB.

We'll see what his real demands are. No one wants to trade Revis just for the sake of trading him. He is not affordable long-term (even less so for us than for another team because of his prior bonus money I mentioned), and a long-term deal doesn't mean squat to him. Barring a similar clause Tannenbaum put in there, where he get extended forever at cheap dollars if he holds out for even 1 hour, he's just going to hold out again in a couple of years. And I don't see him signing another contract with that language in it because he clearly wanted to hold out yet again before the 2012 season.

We can't afford him long term, can't trust him to not hold out again if we can find common ground on a reasonable deal, and are going nowhere this year with or without him. Get something for him while we can unless he agrees to a $10-12M/year deal with aggressive anti-holdout language in it (meaning salaries are guaranteed rather than a lot of signing bonus money being paid, and those guarantees disappear if he holds out and his non-guaranteed salary drops to $3M/year). He'll never sign that so get something for him while the iron's hot.

Thank you.

I saw 4 teams play a few weeks ago to get into the SB and not one of their CBs was within a sniff of Revis, ability and experience wise. How did these teams possibly get to that point without a Revis? maybe they had some talent? Maybe they had some depth? Maybe they did not ascribe to the stupid NFL myths that some writers do?

That is correct - the Jets will not get someone as great as Revis but at least you don't tie up $$$ that can be spent on two maybe three players that will be valuable to the team and provide more quality at different positions which may make up for a CB who is not as great as Revis. Dump Revis now - the Jets will never have this opportunity again. A risk yes but the right move if you are investing long term.

Look at the current point structure and look at the trades the past two drafts and the current point structures fits right in line in regards to draft trades.

That's my point. There is no current point structure. That "structure" is an artificial chart made up based off something some old GM did years ago. At best it was a basic guideline and is not particularly relevant today. OTOH, the new CBA should make higher picks more valuable.

Why shouldn't a lesser valued pick have less value than a higher? I don't even know how this can be questioned.

Did you read my post? Was I unclear? Yes, a higher pick is worth more than a lower pick, but to the press and public and to a board that is whining that we have to get something before he walks, getting the last pick of the first round is like some great deal, but the first pick in the second is a disaster. That's what the press cares about and this team seems to care about the press to its detriment. Personally, I think the option of keeping him and letting him walks holds some value too, because it shows other players we won't let them shoot their way out of town.

I don't know how Abraham and Revis situation are even comparable as the situation are tremendously different.

Tremendously? Give me a break. Two great players and premiere positions being moved because we don't want to pay them by a new GM. Besides even if they were tremendously different, does that mean that we can't draw parallels? We can only discuss situations that are identical?

If the Jets can't afford him, how can other teams? Everyone has the same salary cap.

But not everyone overpaid guys like Mark Sanchez, David Harris, Santonio Holmes and Calvin Pace. Other teams that are smarter than us with the cap will be able to afford him just fine.

We all agree, that in an ideal world you keep players like Revis. You pay them and you cut corners on other places on the roster to make the cap.

However, surely is there is a point where Revis takes up too much of the cap for a team that is not a player or two players away from the Super Bowl ?

Bit., at the last Revis contract dispute you said we needed to pay him because the Jets have a small window to possibly make it to the superbowl.

Fair enough ... we gambled that Mark Sanchez would progress and he did not, he regressed ... that window has closed.

Now the question remains, how much can you afford to pay a HOF, once-in-a-lifetime player ... who does not play the quarterback position ?

Is there a cut off point for those that say we should keep Revis at any cost ?

What is that dollar figure is it 16 Million a year ? Is it eighteen million a year ? Twenty ? Everybody has a number, a value ...

Do we pay him so that we can say Revis, the best cornerback to ever play the game, was a Jet his whole career ?

Do we pay him because we can say the Jets sucked but we have Revis ?

What I don't like about Peter King's statement "... just grit your teeth and pay the man" is that it seems such a sweeping statement.

King's article was fair but I did not see a focus on how much of the Jets salary cap can be comitted to this HOF player, a cornerback.

For me the issue is not draft picks but how much return you can expect for that percentage of the salary cap when the player is not a QB.

It has not worked out so far for Buffalo and Mario Williams; Peppers has not brought a Super Bowl to Chicago. Every single NFL team is vunerable to injuries, a season can change direction in a nanosecond with a key injury. That said it appears to me that the statistically you are much more vunurable to injury with your salary cap being heavily weighted towards a small group of elite players taking up the cap, depth will be more of an issue when the injury bug hits as it inevitably does.

But not everyone overpaid guys like Mark Sanchez, David Harris, Santonio Holmes and Calvin Pace. Other teams that are smarter than us with the cap will be able to afford him just fine.

pace is gone now. sanch and holmes are gone after 2013. this idea that Revis will demolish the cap is not based in reality.

What I don't like about Peter King's statement "... just grit your teeth and pay the man" is that it seems such a sweeping statement.

this is the only suitable action for HOF players in their prime. You won't find anyone better, and 5 mediocre starters do not equate 1 Revis.

If this happens I will renounce watching Foozball next yr ... I'll do other Sunday activities... go shopping, go to church, maybe find myself a boyfriend that hates football.

Yes, It's probably the smart approach to help us rebuild... BUT I'M AGAINST IT.

this is the only suitable action for HOF players in their prime. You won't find anyone better, and 5 mediocre starters do not equate 1 Revis.

Agreed, five mediocre players do not equate to one Revis. That said, one Revis on a team of suck does not equate to a superbowl.

I would rather gamble and go all in continuing to turn over the roster with draft picks. Until we find a quality qb, this team is going no where.

I would rather gamble and go all in continuing to turn over the roster with draft picks. Until we find a quality qb, this team is going no where.

these are two separate discussions. believe it or not the Jets have more than enough salary cap room for Revis and a quality QB. trading Revis doesn't necessarily change the never ending search for a QB, which has been going on since Namath.

these are two separate discussions. believe it or not the Jets have more than enough salary cap room for Revis and a quality QB. trading Revis doesn't necessarily change the never ending search for a QB, which has been going on since Namath.

Why does Revis want to re-sign here though? It's not like he has ever been all that loyal, except to the almighty dollar. He'll play this year, be back to Revis, opt out and go to the highest bidder. That's who he is.

Why does Revis want to re-sign here though? It's not like he has ever been all that loyal, except to the almighty dollar. He'll play this year, be back to Revis, opt out and go to the highest bidder. That's who he is.

First question why can a team from Denver pay Revis but a team from New York is too broke? second question when has Revis been disloyal? Holding out so he gets more than Eric Smith? He's said over and over he wants to retire a Jet and he's only played for one team so how exactly is he disloyal?

he's a stud HOF player and we aren't used to that, as Jets fans. But you gotta pay these guys. It's not that hard.

First question why can a team from Denver pay Revis but a team from New York is too broke? second question when has Revis been disloyal? Holding out so he gets more than Eric Smith? He's said over and over he wants to retire a Jet and he's only played for one team so how exactly is he disloyal?

he's a stud HOF player and we aren't used to that, as Jets fans. But you gotta pay these guys. It's not that hard.

When did I say the Jets were too broke? Revis hasn't been "dis-loyal" other than holding the Jets hostage at every turn that he could. I would love to keep him around and know the Jets could afford him, but I'm not sold that he wants to stick around. He is all about the Benjamins.

Point taken, we just disagree on how much of a team's salary cap should be devoted to a a single player.

Archived