Sources: Jets part ways with outspoken offensive line coach

Jetfan13

Offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo is the latest casualty in Rex Ryan’s coaching shakeup, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports. DeGuglielmo, who made headlines for all the wrong reasons in 2012, is out after only one season with the team, according to sources.

Ryan’s plan is to move over tight ends coach Mike Devlin to replace DeGuglielmo, according to sources.

DeGuglielmo came over from the Dolphins when Tony Sparano was hired as the offensive coordinator last year.

Now, both are gone.

He backed journeyman right tackle Wayne Hunter in that same press conference with this gem: “I’ll be honest with you: This guy is the starting right tackle. Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he’s going to play well.”

The Jets later traded Hunter to the Rams in the preseason.

Devlln played OL in NFL so I am OK with this. Coached 2 years of OL in college also before coming here.

I remember him from the Bills. He's apparently been with the team since coming on board with Mangini in 2006 and has been coaching TEs and assistant offensive line. Strange that I didn't realize this. I wonder if they will keep Sanjay Lal. WR were an abomination again, but there were tons of injuries. I'd imagine that Mornhinweg has his own people he'd like to bring in.

I remember him from the Bills. He's apparently been with the team since coming on board with Mangini in 2006 and has been coaching TEs and assistant offensive line. Strange that I didn't realize this. I wonder if they will keep Sanjay Lal. WR were an abomination again, but there were tons of injuries. I'd imagine that Mornhinweg has his own people he'd like to bring in.

But Sanjay was a key to us getting Chaz Schilens. Why would we want to lose that awesome resource?

So what was he doing coaching TE's ?

My guess:

He's the kind of arrogant, POS, devil may care coach the Jets keep pilin on the plate. He thought he knew everything there was to know about coaching the OL and decided he could coach just any old position despite no degree in that field of study.

God this franchise...I'm like so close to finished with them it's not even funny.

I Remember when they hired Devlin he was considered a long term option at OL coach, then they brought in Callahan. He's probably stupid, but gotta figure no one wants to work here, amirite?

My guess:

He's the kind of arrogant, POS, devil may care coach the Jets keep pilin on the plate. He thought he knew everything there was to know about coaching the OL and decided he could coach just any old position despite no degree in that field of study.

God this franchise...I'm like so close to finished with them it's not even funny.

That's what it sounds like. Big on balls, small on brains!

.Morningwag could not get some guy of his own ?

My guess:

u r a glass 1/2 empty type of guy arent u?

Offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo is the latest casualty in Rex Ryan’s coaching shakeup, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports. DeGuglielmo, who made headlines for all the wrong reasons in 2012, is out after only one season with the team, according to sources.

Ryan’s plan is to move over tight ends coach Mike Devlin to replace DeGuglielmo, according to sources.

DeGuglielmo came over from the Dolphins when Tony Sparano was hired as the offensive coordinator last year.

Now, both are gone.

He backed journeyman right tackle Wayne Hunter in that same press conference with this gem: “I’ll be honest with you: This guy is the starting right tackle. Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he’s going to play well.”

The Jets later traded Hunter to the Rams in the preseason.

Because our TEs block so well...

Archived