Cimini: "Remember this Name: Mike Glennon

flgreen

Jets show interest in NC State QB

January, 25, 2013

Jan 25

10:23

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.comOn Thursday, John Idzik and Rex Ryan gave every indication that embattled QB Mark Sanchez will be back with the Jets in 2013. But make no mistake, the quarterback depth chart will have a different look.

In addition to acquiring a starting-caliber veteran, the Jets are looking to the draft for their quarterback of the future. Remember this name: Mike Glennon of North Carolina State.

The Jets met with Glennon Tuesday at the Senior Bowl week, according to a mole in Mobile, Ala. In fact, they spent an inordinate amount of time with Glennon, a 6-foot-6 passer who has drawn comparisons to Joe Flacco because of his size.

This isn't a great quarterback draft (no Lucks or RG IIIs), but Idzik comes from the Seahawks, who struck gold in the third round with Russell Wilson. Glennon is projected as a second-round pick, although that could fluctuate greatly in the coming weeks, depending on how he performs during the pre-draft process.

The Jets' QB depth chart could be Sanchez, plus a veteran, plus a rookie, leaving Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy out in the cold.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya I wrote that months ago.

Jets scouts were looking at glennon 3 separate times this year. They also scouted Gio Bernard three times.

What do you think of Glennon? You're generally the go-to guy when discussing Carolina prospects...

Glennon is a statue back there. He's got no elusiveness and he also throws dumb picks all the time. He's like a worse Drew Bledsoe.

This QB class sucks from top to bottom.

I hope that's the mentality and one of the more interesting ones falls to the third. Bray, Dysert, Sorenson....any of the three would be welcome.

I hope that's the mentality and one of the more interesting ones falls to the third. Bray, Dysert, Sorenson....any of the three would be welcome.

Dysert came into the Senior Bowl shorter then advertised. It is very possible he will be there at the top of the 3rd.

If he is I would gladly risk a 3rd on him

I don't like super tall QB's. They have footwork issues and accuracy issues because they have more going on with their throwing motions. It is kind of like in baseball with pitchers. Usually the real tall guys have a tougher time developing consistent location. Add to that the fact that Glennon is blade thin and his college numbers reflect his accuracy issues and I don't see him as worthy of a top pick.

Every QB in this class has fairly major blemishes. The best guy is probably Geno Smith because of his accuracy and athleticism which should allow him to become a good QB, but he has happy feet in the pocket and locks onto receivers. If someone is able to mine a gem from this class, god bless them. I really liked Tyler Wilson, but then I find out he has little bitty hands which does not translate well to bad weather throwing and ball handling. Who knows...

They cannot f*ck up this pick. The next quarterback drafted defines the Idzik regime and will shape the next five years of Jets football.

This is the mentality that scares me. They can pick any sh*thead they want, but I don't want to invest so much that we are stuck with the numbnuts shaping the next five years. Think about it, Kellen Clemens didn't shape sh*t. Whoever we pick will probably be in that mold based on the sh*tty QB class this year.

Dysert came into the Senior Bowl shorter then advertised. It is very possible he will be there at the top of the 3rd.

If he is I would gladly risk a 3rd on him

I do have to say that by third I meant 4th. I'm not too excited to draft any one of them, though I think those three have the potential to be the best QB taken in this draft.

They cannot f*ck up this pick. The next quarterback drafted defines the Idzik regime and will shape the next five years of Jets football.

no slam dunks but Geno at least has a shot or Manuel later. Glennon beat FSU on the final drive and yet still played one of the most horrific games at QB. Clemson....Vanderbilt. He makes a beautiful throw one out of ever 3 passes. The other 2 aren't even close.

I don't like super tall QB's. They have footwork issues and accuracy issues because they have more going on with their throwing motions. It is kind of like in baseball with pitchers. Usually the real tall guys have a tougher time developing consistent location. Add to that the fact that Glennon is blade thin and his college numbers reflect his accuracy issues and I don't see him as worthy of a top pick.

Every QB in this class has fairly major blemishes. The best guy is probably Geno Smith because of his accuracy and athleticism which should allow him to become a good QB, but he has happy feet in the pocket and locks onto receivers. If someone is able to mine a gem from this class, god bless them. I really liked Tyler Wilson, but then I find out he has little bitty hands which does not translate well to bad weather throwing and ball handling. Who knows...

I LOVE super tall QBs. His arm strength is overrated and his accuracy and decision making is atrocious. 6'2 and he's not even getting drafted.

Glennon is a statue back there. He's got no elusiveness and he also throws dumb picks all the time. He's like a worse Drew Bledsoe.

This QB class sucks from top to bottom.

Compared to all those smart picks all the other QBs are throwing ;) Kidding aside, Glennon has practically the same exact, if not slightly better, collegiate production as Matt Ryan. Ideal size, arm strength and has shown the ability to make some very weak offensive players better. A lot of the criticisms you're throwing on Glennon were said about ryan coming out, but he was able to cut down on his mistakes and there's no reason to think Glennon can't, considering he's improved every year at NC state.

Tyler Wilson is better than Glennon and Teddy Bridgewater will be head and shoulders better than both of them.

agreed 100%. I think when its all said and done Wilson will be the best of the 2nd round QBs...has all the intangibles great arm elusive extends plays...people have to ignore numbers from this past season because he had a depleted receiving core, and lost a lot of talent due to issues at Arkansas with Petrino. This kid will be a good one and theyre not talking about him much. Glennon has time and time again showed he struggles throwing the ball in the 15-20 yard range right down the middle of the field. An area that is exploited often in the WCO. Saw in Sr Bowl practice and Bowl game he often overthrows and gets intercepted. Jets need a guy who can read a defense quickly and make a decision to get through his reads and get rid of the ball. Wilson could be that guy in 2nd-3rd round.

Compared to all those smart picks all the other QBs are throwing ;) Kidding aside, Glennon has practically the same exact, if not slightly better, collegiate production as Matt Ryan. Ideal size, arm strength and has shown the ability to make some very weak offensive players better. A lot of the criticisms you're throwing on Glennon were said about ryan coming out, but he was able to cut down on his mistakes and there's no reason to think Glennon can't, considering he's improved every year at NC state.

Matt Ryan cut down on mistakes? He threw 14 INTs this year tying his career high back in 2009. Wouldn't call that cutting down mistakes and the fact he can't win a big playoff game. Id take Ryan over Sanchez any day but he hasn't limited his mistakes

He made some headway this week with the Senior Bowl QB's bringing the meh. He is my favorite now that Dysert/Wilson failed to bring the size. He's by far the most prototypical QB in this class IMO.

He's got the most upside by far IMO.

I like Landry Jones too. Jones and Bray are my favorites in this draft.

yeah, I would throw Bray on rhe list too based on potential. Smith, Manuel, Bray for consideration. The rest of the lot...meh.

EJ Manual is garbage. I wouldnt touch that kid. I hear he's been looking good at the Senior Bowl...but he's a chump. And its got nothing to do with my disdain for FSU.

Matt Ryan cut down on mistakes? He threw 14 INTs this year tying his career high back in 2009. Wouldn't call that cutting down mistakes and the fact he can't win a big playoff game. Id take Ryan over Sanchez any day but he hasn't limited his mistakes

You wouldn't, mainly because you overlooked a large piece of data. Ryan threw 164 more passes this year, while averaging 1.2 more yards per attempt, which means he threw an INT every 44 attempts compared to every 32 attempts his sophomore year. So not only is he throwing the ball an additional 10+ times per game, but he's throwing the ball more down field. That's only part of it, the offense was clearly put in Ryan's hands this year and he responded with his best season to date. We have that type of performance with this defense and we're in the playoffs every single year.

This is the mentality that scares me. They can pick any sh*thead they want, but I don't want to invest so much that we are stuck with the numbnuts shaping the next five years. Think about it, Kellen Clemens didn't shape sh*t. Whoever we pick will probably be in that mold based on the sh*tty QB class this year.

Clemens sucking led to more Chad which led to Brett Favre which led to Sanchez.

EJ Manual is garbage. I wouldnt touch that kid. I hear he's been looking good at the Senior Bowl...but he's a chump. And its got nothing to do with my disdain for FSU.

they're all garbage to an extent but those are the 3 I would pick who have enough potential to surprise in the pros imo. Maybe Nassib i guess but not really for me. In typical Jet fashion crap year for QBs.

Archived