Cromartie: Sanchez didn't cause Jets problems

flgreen

Cromartie: Mark Sanchez didn't cause Jets problems

• By Andy Fenelon NFL.com

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

KAPOLEI, Hawaii -- With lots of news swirling around the possibility of the New York Jets trading All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, the team's ever-controversial quarterback situation has been knocked off the New York tabloids' back pages.

But it's just as relevant. And the lone member of the Jets in Hawaii this week for the Pro Bowl believes the solution already exists on the roster.

More importantly, cornerback Antonio Cromartie insinuates, a change at general manager should be the impetus for improvement

Cromartie -- without mentioning Mike Tannenbaum's name -- threw the former Jets GM under the bus that Tannenbaum left town on earlier this month, saying the problems quarterback Mark Sanchez had in 2013 laid at the feet of Tannenbaum, not Sanchez.

"We have confidence in Mark," Cromartie said Friday after the AFC's morning walk-through. "Like I've always said, even with the whole (Tim) Tebow thing, if we're going to sign Mark to a three-year extension, we need to make sure we put guys around him.

"If he has good, veteran players around him -- ones that know how to practice and compete at a high level every day -- then you'll have a better quarterback. But when you don't have a supporting cast around him, you're going to get an average or below-average quarterback. That's what we got."

Clearly the implication here is that Tannenbaum, in Cromartie's mind, failed to do his job. And, in general, Jets owner Woody Johnson agreed, firing Tannebaum on Jan. 2, then hiring John Idzik away from the Seattle Seahawks to fill the vacant GM post and start cleaning up the mess.

Idzik so far has been low-key, unlike his head coach, and has refused to engage in conversations regarding the future of Sanchez. Of course, as he stated at his introductory press conference on Thursday, "I'm literally only hours into the job."

But as Idzik begins the process of evaluating the quarterbacks on his roster, players who endured another circus-like season with the Jets are already forming their opinions. Some, like Cromartie, are offereing suggestions.

"He needs a better supporting cast," Cromartie said about Sanchez. "That's something the new GM has to look at and evaluate as he's looking at the roster. He needs to get Mark some help."

That's easier said than done. The Jets' cap situation in 2013 is as bad as the Oakland Raiders' was last year, a reason several GM candidates were leery of taking the job. The Jets brought in 10 candidates over a two-week period before settling on Idzik.

And Sanchez's contract complicates matters even further. If the Jets keep him, he will count $17.2 million against a cap that is already bulging. And even if the Jets cut Sanchez, he'll still count $12.8 million toward the cap.

It's a mess Idzik has inherited and it's his job to figure out. Even Cromartie turned down an offer to help solve that one.

"That's above my pay grade," he said.

Andy Fenelon is a senior editor at NFL.com. You can follow him on Twitter @Andy_Fenelon.

I seriously doubt Cromartie (and anyone on the Jets) isn't aware that Sanchez is probably a Jet in 2013. if they bash him, it's more of the "circus" crap, and I think they're trying to avoid that. plus, Cro's not wrong. the situation the Jets have been in is not Sanchez's fault. Sanchez didn't offer himself that extension. he sucked, but the front office created this mess.

It seems to me if you're on a Rex Ryan football team your preception of a being a baller is knowing how to play inconsistently.

Cromartie needs to go find someplace to sit his arse down. If our seasons failure is not Mark "fumbleliar" Sanchez fault then

we need to throw Cromartie under the bus he claimed he was the best WR on the Jets this year...BTFW how many balls did

he catch at WR? how many TD did he give up? and how many game winner Int's did you drop? Dude STFU and go take care

of them babies you're making how many of tthem again? 9 chit.

It seems to me if you're on a Rex Ryan football team your preception of a being a baller is knowing how to play inconsistently.

Cromartie needs to go find someplace to sit his arse down. If our seasons failure is not Mark "fumbleliar" Sanchez fault then

we need to throw Cromartie under the bus he claimed he was the best WR on the Jets this year...BTFW how many balls did

he catch at WR? how many TD did he give up? and how many game winner Int's did you drop? Dude STFU and go take care

of them babies you're making how many of tthem again? 9 chit.

Little harsh...Cro was great last year, like HIM or not.

Cro may say they have confidence in Sanchez but the question is does Sanchez have confidence in Sanchez.

If the Jets can somehow bring back a recieving corp of Holmes, Edwards, Kerley and Hill back next year that is alot better than seeing the Chaz Schillens, and the Clyde Gates' that we were subjected to this past season. They still need help on the OL and a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield and spell Greene.

All of this is for naught though if Sanchez is mentally beaten which I think he was as the year progressed.

You see what's happening here don't you guys? The groundwork is being laid out for the starting QB for 2013 to be once again, and just like I said it would be, Mark Sanchez. It's almost like the past two seasons didn't happen in the team's eyes. From the owner to the GMs past and present to the head coach and all of his minions on down (like Cro and a lot of other quoted players)-everybody is making excuses for poor little Marky Mark "I have to get better", and the old tried and true "I can't let that happen" week after losing week in the post game press conferences Sanchez. How much longer do we have to wait for that guy to finally start doing what he says he needs to do? When is going to stop spotting every opponent 10 points a game? This is what we have to look forward to AGAIN this year guys. You know he is a grating anti Jets douchebag and all but Fatso is actually more right than a lot of us are willing to admit-the Jets ARE a loser organization and they are crazy if they think that they are going anywher with that guy under center.

Fenelon is a dumbass, who else would even repeat the stupidest thing I have heard about this teams performance, Mike T is the scapegoat for Woody the insane owner, and his crush on Rex.. Tannenbaum wasn't on the turf with Cromartie, what a idiotic idea that Tannenbaum affected Marks buttfumble moves..

The biggest dent the JETS took was Revis and to a lesser extent Holmes.. Sanchez of course will start every game this year, they got away with it this season, who is going to stop them from starting him this year, the new GM ? He has all but said he is going to take the heat for every stupid thing Woody and Ryan have to cough up as reality, which by now, every JET fan that has ever lived should realize is the problem.

The JETS have a tight window to make a SB before the 50th anniversary of there last one, its a damn shame that these guys have their heads so far up their ass they aren't even concerned about it. Woody will be trying to figure out if next years changes were "exhaustive" or not...or if what he is saying *sounds* like an NFL owner.

He would be well served to hire someone to be proxy owner and gtfo of dodge for a few years and maybe something like a team will develop. Sanchez traded whatever potential he had for banging washed up hags and teenagers, only the most warped staff would think he could turn it around, and the new GM is going to be a yes man for Woody.

Cro did comment on the Revis trade talks...

“We can’t lose a guy like him,” Cromartie told NFL.com. “(Revis is) a great leader in the locker room and also in our DB room, making sure that guys are accountable for each other. To lose a guy like that would be huge. And even though he’s coming off the surgery, I believe he’ll come back as strong as ever.”

So, I guess after every Sanchez turnover that led him to walking back on the field after just coming off it, to play yet another series of defense or at the end of games when the Jets were behind because El Magnifico gave the other team ten points, forcing him to play run defense for the last quarter (which we all know he loves doing), he was silently screaming, "Schilens!".

Get the **** out of here.

I seriously doubt Cromartie (and anyone on the Jets) isn't aware that Sanchez is probably a Jet in 2013. if they bash him, it's more of the "circus" crap, and I think they're trying to avoid that. plus, Cro's not wrong. the situation the Jets have been in is not Sanchez's fault. Sanchez didn't offer himself that extension. he sucked, but the front office created this mess.

See, the problem really lies in the Baghdad Bob PR responses. Last year at this time, the players spoke about it being the OC's fault, this year, it's the GM... And would you know it, we swiftly fired those guys, so really, all is well in Jet land.

Both guys deserved to be fired, but the narrative that paints them as the only thing holding back the QB from succeeding falls a bit flat. Despite what the Jets PR machine might think, our football IQ is not pudding.

See, the problem really lies in the Baghdad Bob PR responses. Last year at this time, the players spoke about it being the OC's fault, this year, it's the GM... And would you know it, we swiftly fired those guys, so really, all is well in Jet land.

Both guys deserved to be fired, but the narrative that paints them as the only thing holding back the QB from succeeding falls a bit flat. Despite what the Jets PR machine might think, our football IQ is not pudding.

Emotional pudding.

Cro is a CANCER. Getting rid of this guy should be a top priority for Idzik.

How so? I think Cro is probably one of the best Jets right now. He never talks bad about teammates (on purpose). He said he was the second best WR last year - but that is just typical CB confidence, and he was probably right. lol. He also stepped up when we needed him to. He really has been a great player for this team.

We keep rooting for this team, so I beg to differ, lol.

Seriously though the football IQ of Jets fans is unbelievable. I was at an event this week for JetNation and everyone I talked to who was a Jets fan knew so much about the team. It was crazy. Following the Jets is a full year thing these days, that's pretty cool.

We keep rooting for this team, so I beg to differ, lol.

Seriously though the football IQ of Jets fans is unbelievable. I was at an event this week for JetNation and everyone I talked to who was a Jets fan knew so much about the team. It was crazy. Following the Jets is a full year thing these days, that's pretty cool.

ser?

Remember when Gholston was supposed to have been Mangini's idea?

You see what's happening here don't you guys? The groundwork is being laid out for the starting QB for 2013 to be once again, and just like I said it would be, Mark Sanchez. It's almost like the past two seasons didn't happen in the team's eyes. From the owner to the GMs past and present to the head coach and all of his minions on down (like Cro and a lot of other quoted players)-everybody is making excuses for poor little Marky Mark "I have to get better", and the old tried and true "I can't let that happen" week after losing week in the post game press conferences Sanchez. How much longer do we have to wait for that guy to finally start doing what he says he needs to do? When is going to stop spotting every opponent 10 points a game? This is what we have to look forward to AGAIN this year guys. You know he is a grating anti Jets douchebag and all but Fatso is actually more right than a lot of us are willing to admit-the Jets ARE a loser organization and they are crazy if they think that they are going anywher with that guy under center.

Jimmy, I hate seeing you this negative. You used to be one of the positive guys. :(

How about we give this Idzik dude a chance? See what kind of moves he makes when the new NFL year starts. I agree 100% that the problems begin with Woody, which is why I was glad he went outside the organization to help him find a GM. Maybe they actually made a good hire. Who knows?

Sanchez may win the starting job by default in 2013. I realize that. The draft class is weak and the FA class is weaker. I think those season was going to be difficult no matter what. I'm really just hoping to see Idzik make some clever moves. Clear some cap space, sign some middle class FAs, maybe trade down once in a while. Simple stuff. Set himself up for a better 2014, which really should be on the horizon. Again, who knows? You might even get a new head coach!

oh absolutely not. Sanchez sucked plenty on his own. but the idea that Sanchez is somehow also responsible for the lack of talent around him and the cap situation is laughable - but I have seen some tweets that would indicate that some fans think otherwise. like, sorry guys, Jeremy Kerley is not becoming Randy Moss in his prime no matter who the QB is.

Archived