2013 Senior Bowl 4:00 PM Today

F.Chowds

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you take him at #9 overall, though? That's pretty much anointing him as your QB of the future. Probably the very near future. That pick would define Idzik's tenure with the Jets for years to come. They'd have to be extremely confident that Geno could at least be a solid NFL starter -in the heat of the New York spotlight- to make that move. Can you imagine the fallout the first time he pouts on the sidelines here?

i don't know. There's still too much time between now and the draft. Personally, fwiw, I'd rather take him in the second round, to which he'll probably be long gone. Could still end up the first overall for all we know.

dont mean to stick up for Geno, I agree some of his sideline demeanor was discouraging to watch the second half of the year. But they were down 17 before you could blink against KSU and the a&m game was a wind bowl. WV had one of the worst D's in college football this year and it def eventually got to him trying to do too much. You could tell when all the first half of the season's hype startied wavering and he'd lose composure. That said, it's been said he's a great kid and a hard worker. But def some maturity issues he'll have to work through.

Agree with the above. I think Smith broke down a bit trying to score TDs on every drive to compensate for the putrid defense. The kid had both National Championship AND Heisman expectations dropped in his lap early on and it clearly hurt him and the team. If Idzik is as smart as his resume, it might be the right move to draft Smith at 9 (assuming he tests/interviews well) and stash him on the bench for a season while the Rex/Sanchez/Holmes Era burns off. Add one of the big TEs in the second, then give the HC job to David Shaw in 2014 and, all of a sudden, there are a bunch of young players on the offense.

What the huge mistake would be is drafting Smith and playing him right away, with Rex and the media bloviating about RGIII's instant success. Next year is Rex's last chance. You can't trust him to fo the right long-term thing with any player, especially at QB.

lacy/bernard getting swapped being rated 1 or 2 by most draft 'experts'. Low first to second round predicted

totallyy different skill sets though

Unless it's an Adrian Peterson-type talent, there is nooooooo reason to draft a back in the first round anymore. Horrible investments unless your team is so stacked that you can make a luxury pick.

someone asked me which Senior Bowl players are likely to be Jets... the positions i think are most likely to be mined by this team are RB, WR, TE and S.

no chance the Jets 1st pick was at the Senior Bowl. likely to be a junior at 9. But looking at the other guys... the Jets really can use a solid tailback, Jonathan Franklin and Mike Gillislee fit the bill. a solid WR like Williams or Goodwin in rd 2 or 3 not unthinkable. TE Michael Williams from Alabama is a blocker primarily but they need that. Also if they let landry go, they have to look seriously at the Safeties like Cyprien and Rambo.

I haven't paid any attention to Smith at all. It kinda reminds of the weak QB class the year Pennington came out, and I didn't pay any attention to him either - thinking there was no way the Jets would draft him. I just read a short draft bio for Geno, and I'm pretty sure I physically cringed when it talked about him struggling in one game...

Smith stayed tough in the pocket, but his mental toughness has been questioned as he appeared uncontrollably discouraged on the sideline and had little answers for Kansas State's good, but far from great defense.

Where have we seen that before?

I think the Jets need to be more conscious of that sort of warning sign than any other team in the league.

I guess that has to come out in the interview process, but from what I have seen, he has the requisite arm strength, requisite athleticism and throws a nice accurate ball. All of his negatives are things that will need to be coached into him like locking on receivers, footwork, things like that. I think he is probably a prospect similar to Tannehill as far as a rating coming into the league. At number 9, you are not over drafting him too much. We have to remember that the rookie salary scale makes drafting a high pick bust less of salary cap issue that it was in the past. That's why I say Geno is a good pick at 9 if he is there.

Smith stayed tough in the pocket, but his mental toughness has been questioned as he appeared uncontrollably discouraged on the sideline and had little answers for Kansas State's good, but far from great defense.

Where have we seen that before?

I think the Jets need to be more conscious of that sort of warning sign than any other team in the league.

great post

I guess that has to come out in the interview process, but from what I have seen, he has the requisite arm strength, requisite athleticism and throws a nice accurate ball. All of his negatives are things that will need to be coached into him like locking on receivers, footwork, things like that. I think he is probably a prospect similar to Tannehill as far as a rating coming into the league. At number 9, you are not over drafting him too much. We have to remember that the rookie salary scale makes drafting a high pick bust less of salary cap issue that it was in the past. That's why I say Geno is a good pick at 9 if he is there.

yeah, if this whole thing were to wash out with Geno at 9 I'm not gonna be upset. As Tom mentions they need to let him sit and learn for a year however, and keep Rex way the **** away from him.

Did Geno Smith play WR? let's just face it, he's similar to Sanchez, and the Jets cannot draft another Sanchez.

That's kind of a stupid statement. It isn't like Tannehill is a converted wide receiver, he's a QB that played wideout in college because of his athletic gifts and because he couldn't beat out the starter at the QB position. I think the Tannehill comparison is an apt one. Both guys have the physical tools to play the position, both move well, both are accurate and both come to the pros needing coaching to overcome a lack of seat time in a pro style offense. Tannehill did not play as many games as you would like while Geno operated out of shot gun pistol type offense.

Both guys have the physical tools to play the position, both move well,

smith doesn't have the mobility of tannehill or even close to it. He's not a runner. He's not gonna break 4.9 in the 40. Tannehill ran a 4.6.

People make assumptions about Geno Smith but he's not a fast dude.

smith doesn't have the mobility of tannehill or even close to it. He's not a runner. He's not gonna break 4.9 in the 40. Tannehill ran a 4.6.

Didn't Tannehill go higher than anyone expected because of the OC in Miami being his college coach?

Didn't Tannehill go higher than anyone expected because of the OC in Miami being his college coach?

A little, but I think at this point we can conclude that it was not much of an over draft situation. I don't like Geno as the number 1 overall, but around the Jets pick he looks a little more appealing if he is still there.

We'll see. Geno definitely lumbers more than Tannehill, but they both deliver accurate balls when they throw on the move. That is more of what I was referring to. I am not a big fan of QB's that actually run rather than buy time to pass.

if Tannehill was in this draft he'd be the #1 QB. if Ponder was in this draft, he'd be the #1 QB. that's how bad this draft is for QB's. There isn't a Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert in this draft.

Geno Smith was absolutely atrocious down the stretch, and saying he was trying to do too much is not an excuse for taking a guy in the top 10 or god forbid 1 overall.

I said he's like Sanchez, that actually isn't fair to the career Sanchez had. At no point at USC did Mark look as bad as Geno in the bowl game against Syracuse. I don't have any particular hopes for this draft, aside from the Jets passing on all these terrible QB's this year. Yes they need a guy. BUt these aren't the droids you're looking for.

if Tannehill was in this draft he'd be the #1 QB. if Ponder was in this draft, he'd be the #1 QB. that's how bad this draft is for QB's. There isn't a Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert in this draft.

Geno Smith was absolutely atrocious down the stretch, and saying he was trying to do too much is not an excuse for taking a guy in the top 10 or god forbid 1 overall.

I said he's like Sanchez, that actually isn't fair to the career Sanchez had. At no point at USC did Mark look as bad as Geno in the bowl game against Syracuse. I don't have any particular hopes for this draft, aside from the Jets passing on all these terrible QB's this year. Yes they need a guy. BUt these aren't the droids you're looking for.

ya, IF Jets pass on Glennon, I think it means they will eye the 2014 draft for a QB and pick up a Matt Moore type as transition

Comparing him to Sanchez makes no sense. Geno has much more college experience than Sanchez. Geno completed 71% of his passes his last year in college and 65% the year before while Sanchez completed 65% in his only full year and was throwing to wide open NFL receivers to do it. Geno threw for 8500+ yards his last two years while Sanchez threw for just over 3,000 in his lone full season. Geno threw for 42 TD's this past year with only 6 int's while Sanchez led a juggernaut offense and managed 34 TD's against 10 picks.

Let's not forget that Geno played a pretty stiff Big 12 conference schedule this past year with games against Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Kansas State where his team was the underdog in every one of those games and he played very well in most of them. And as for his production in the bowl game, it was snowing in that game, played on a baseball field whose turf was in awful shape and he still outplayed Nassib by throwing for 200+ yards and 2 TD's. I don't think Geno is your traditional top QB in a draft, but I would draft him every day of the week over Christian Ponder.

And as for his production in the bowl game, it was snowing in that game

well then by all means let's draft him to play QB in the AFC East.

my sanchez comparison was based partly on his aversion to snow, partly on his inaccuracy under pressure, and making bad decisions. Yes he had a great game against Baylor which is an absolute joke of a college defense. against good defenses he folded.

well then by all means let's draft him to play QB in the AFC East.

my sanchez comparison was based partly on his aversion to snow, partly on his inaccuracy under pressure, and making bad decisions. Yes he had a great game against Baylor which is an absolute joke of a college defense. against good defenses he folded.

Then he must of made hay against the few weak teams on his schedule because his final numbers are epic. That last statement was sarcasm because I watched all of his marquee match ups this year against Big 12 schools and he played well in all except the Kansas State game. He flat out willed his team to a win over the Sooners in what appears as one of his worst statistical games of the year. We rationalize the level of teammate assistance with guys like Tyler Wilson and Mike Glennon and then expect Geno to be Andrew Luck without having Luck's supporting cast. Geno had a great season with very few clunkers. The guy threw over 500 passes and was intercepted 6 times for crying out loud.

Geno had a great season with very few clunkers. The guy threw over 500 passes and was intercepted 6 times for crying out loud.

he's a good prospect. He's not a great prospect. I have no problem with Geno in top half of rd 2. Anyone who sh*ts the bed in the bowl game is not a franchise saver.

Plenty of QBs have had horrid bowl games, and go in to be productive NFL qb's. That is a horrible criteria

just curious please give an example of QBs that bombed their bowl games and went on to be high first rounders (where the Jets pick or above).

either way you don't draft a productive QB at 9. that's supposed to be a franchise QB.

If they want to trade back into the round and get Geno late 1 that's probably ok. we are talking about elite picks here.

just curious please give an example of QBs that bombed their bowl games and went on to be high first rounders (where the Jets pick or above).

either way you don't draft a productive QB at 9. that's supposed to be a franchise QB.

If they want to trade back into the round and get Geno late 1 that's probably ok. we are talking about elite picks here.

Without even thinking, or doing a search, Vinny Testaverde threw FIVE Interceptions in the championship game, and was a top pick.

What was your opinion of Russell Wilson last year?

honestly I was way off. Saw him at the Senior Bowl practices, saw he was 5'10" and thought, well that's that. Good player but too short. that was my dime store opinion on Russell Wilson.

i remember talking to another draftnik and saying if Wilson was 6'4" he'd be a top 5 pick. But instead I called him a better version of Chris Leak.

honestly I was way off. Saw him at the Senior Bowl practices, saw he was 5'10" and thought, well that's that. Good player but too short. that was my dime store opinion on Russell Wilson.

i remember talking to another draftnik and saying if Wilson was 6'4" he'd be a top 5 pick. But instead I called him a better version of Chris Leak.

Draftniks are the scurge of the sport-no offense.

They have taken what should be a clinical study of players and evaluation into a "must run with the herd" mentality.

Archived