2013 Senior Bowl 4:00 PM Today

F.Chowds

honestly I was way off. Saw him at the Senior Bowl practices, saw he was 5'10" and thought, well that's that. Good player but too short. that was my dime store opinion on Russell Wilson.

i remember talking to another draftnik and saying if Wilson was 6'4" he'd be a top 5 pick. But instead I called him a better version of Chris Leak.

Speaking of any of these guys definitively is dangerous business, bit. Draft people spend every spring telling us why QB Prospect X secretly sucks, then spend the next ten years pretending they never said it. Hell, Phil Simms was telling us nine months ago that Andrew Luck wasn't that good.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to be clear I was the guy saying Wilson would be a top 5 at 6'4" the other guy was just listening.

by the way the Geno Smith discussion is the key to the whole first round and logically he's not really an option for the Jets.

If he's worth the 9 pick he's worth the 8 to Buf or 7 pick to AZ and why not KC at 1. He either goes 1 overall or in the twenties via a trade back into the round. I don't see a middle ground for this prospect, because there is no luck. He can't be a tannehill or locker type of pick he either is a 1 pick or he drops. Most mock drafts have him going 1.

We could have a lively discussion about Matt Barkley if you'd like. :)

to be clear I was the guy saying Wilson would be a top 5 at 6'4" the other guy was just listening.

by the way the Geno Smith discussion is the key to the whole first round and logically he's not really an option for the Jets.

If he's worth the 9 pick he's worth the 8 to Buf or 7 pick to AZ and why not KC at 1. He either goes 1 overall or in the twenties via a trade back into the round. I don't see a middle ground for this prospect, because there is no luck. He can't be a tannehill or locker type of pick he either is a 1 pick or he drops. Most mock drafts have him going 1.

pretty much everybody including Mayock every other minute was saying Wilson was a top 5 pick if he was 6'4. So....

I don't get it, why can't Geno be a Tannehill or Locker type? The quarterbacks in this class are so clumped together it wouldn't be shocking to see a quarterback or two get drafted before him, even first overall. Beauty is going to be in the eye of the beholder because a lot of guys have some really positive traits to work with but nobody's perfect. You're not going to find drafts like last year's too often though.

I don't get it, why can't Geno be a Tannehill or Locker type? The quarterbacks in this class are so clumped together it wouldn't be shocking to see a quarterback or two get drafted before him, even first overall.

right now Geno is the only true first round grade. there are guys who have their champions but Smith is the chalk pick for 1st qb off the board. the question is when that happens. It probably doesn't happen at 9. historically, it happens at 1.

right now Geno is the only true first round grade. there are guys who have their champions but Smith is the chalk pick for 1st qb off the board. the question is when that happens. It probably doesn't happen at 9. historically, it happens at 1.

I don't think there's anything remotely close to a consensus on that right now.

What was your opinion of Russell Wilson last year?

I saw him for 4 years down here. This is NO LIE guys, I sent a email to Jets Front office (who knows if anyone ever got it) .I told them what I saw up close and live over 4 years and said I thought a 3rd or 4th rounder would be worth it on this kid. I said "he just finds a way to make it happen at 5'10" and is Brees-like in that way".

Tanny didnt listen to me, LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Wrong.

that's true and I posted a mea culpa on twitter yesterday. He had a good workout. He's alot faster than I expected.

Note however that the same day that happens, the Alex Smith deal to KC supposedly gets done. 

Like Lavar Burton said on Reading Rainbow you don't have to take my word for it. I don't get a draft pick in April.

if Andy Reid let's Brandon Albert walk, you know what he thinks of Geno Smith at 1.

I don't have a problem with Geno (except for the bowl game and skipping the senior bowl) I just have a problem with the valuation at 1 overall.  I personally dont buy him in the top 10 but AZ at 7 or BUF at 8 is possible...  he did enough in his workout yesterday to convince someone... 

that's true and I posted a mea culpa on twitter yesterday. He had a good workout. He's alot faster than I expected.

Note however that the same day that happens, the Alex Smith deal to KC supposedly gets done. 

Like Lavar Burton said on Reading Rainbow you don't have to take my word for it. I don't get a draft pick in April.

if Andy Reid let's Brandon Albert walk, you know what he thinks of Geno Smith at 1.

I don't have a problem with Geno (except for the bowl game and skipping the senior bowl) I just have a problem with the valuation at 1 overall.  I personally dont buy him in the top 10 but AZ at 7 or BUF at 8 is possible...  he did enough in his workout yesterday to convince someone... 

I still stand by my initial assessment that Geno Smith and Ryan Tannehill are similar prospects which means that considering Smith at number 9 is not a reach.  Smith and Tannehill had similar college numbers, both move well, both need good pro coaching to reach their potential and both have good short range accuracy with the requisite arm strength.

I still stand by my initial assessment that Geno Smith and Ryan Tannehill are similar prospects which means that considering Smith at number 9 is not a reach.  Smith and Tannehill had similar college numbers, both move well, both need good pro coaching to reach their potential and both have good short range accuracy with the requisite arm strength.

Colt McCoy also had similar college numbers. Another scout compared Geno Smith to Akili Smith yesterday. Buyer beware.

Colt McCoy also had similar college numbers. Another scout compared Geno Smith to Akili Smith yesterday. Buyer beware.

Yeah, but we know Colt McCoy had physical limitations in the pros that Geno doesn't have, so that is an awful comparison.  The Akili Smith comparison to me is dumb, too because other than skin color where are the similarities?  Geno Smith has 3 years of starting experience versus Akili's one year.  It just proves there are a lot of yahoos out there.

the comparison i like to make is Brady Quinn. Both were accomplished college passers who mistakenly believed  they were in the running for 1 overall. Both had up and down college career (moments of greatness, moments of crap) Both threw to legit pro level WR ( smith threw to AUstin and Bailey, Quinn threw to Jeff the Shark Samardzija currently pitching for the cubs) Both skipped the Senior Bowl to minimize exposure. That's the part that irks me is the skipping of the senior bowl. if you are Andrew Luck, fair enough. Geno had questions and refused to answer them.  Ryan Tannehill missed the Senior Bowl with a Broken foot but Geno didn't have an excuse.

Archived