Idzik willing to let Sanchez compete for starting job

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/n...ew-york-jets-gm

Mark Sanchez finds support from New York Jets GM

• _Sessler-65x90.jpg
  • By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer

The San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Ravens don't have questions at the quarterback position, but the New York Jets -- far from Super Bowl glory -- certainly do.

John Idzik, the Jets' new general manager, has inherited issues under center, but said he's willing to let Mark Sanchez compete for the job.

"I feel comfortable with Mark being a Jet," Idzik told WFAN-AM on Monday, per ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini. "I told him we're going to add competition and everyone should be up for it. It's going to make Mark, and everybody else, better."

Idzik told the station Sanchez is "champing at the bit. He wants to get going with his new coordinator. He's all about competing. I got a really good feeling from Mark."

Pretty words aside, there's only one direction for Idzik to move in. Cutting Sanchez would cost the Jets a whopping $12.8 million cap hit, not a setback New York can afford. The Jets are roughly $20 million over the cap -- a dilemma Idzik labeled a "huge item" -- meaning Sanchez has a spot on the roster no matter what in 2013.

What the four-year pro does with that opportunity is anyone's guess. Sanchez was not well protected last season, but his decision-making under pressure was disastrous. His early glory of guiding the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Games has dimmed, and the team would certainly steer in another direction if Sanchez hadn't been handed a massive guaranteed contract.

It's just one of the many issues Idzik has inherited in a never-dull Florham Park.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20468/idzik-still-hedges-on-revis-not-sanchez

Idzik still hedges on Revis, not Sanchez

January, 28, 2013

Jan 28

9:25

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

New Jets GM John Idzik said Monday morning he was "taken aback" by the Darrelle Revis trade-talk firestorm last week because he hadn't conducted any internal discussions on the Jets' roster -- and still hasn't -- but he apparently doesn't need those conversations to confirm Mark Sanchez's place on the team.

Go ahead, read between the lines.

Idzik, appearing on WFAN radio, was asked if he feels "comfortable" with Sanchez as the quarterback. He replied, "I feel comfortable with Mark being a Jet. I told him we're going to add competition and everyone should be up for it. It's going to make Mark, and everybody else, better."

Idzik said he has spoken to Sanchez, and he said the embattled quarterback is "champing at the bit. He wants to get going with his new coordinator. He's all about competing. I got a really good feeling from Mark."

Sanchez has a $12.8 million cap charge and a contract that is almost immovable, so it's not exactly breaking news that Idzik would confirm his place on the roster. Yet when asked about Revis, the best player on the team and one of the best in the league, Idzik fell back on the company line -- still too early to evaluate. He said he still hasn't had any in-depth discussions about the roster.

Idzik said he was surprised by the reports, which broke on the eve of his introductory news conference last Thursday, that the Jets are open to trading Revis.

"I called Darrelle just to make sure he knew exactly what was going on from our end," Idzik said. "It was good to talk to him. I thought it was well-received."

Idzik touched on a few other topics in the interview.

On the salary-cap problem (almost $20 million over the cap), he said, "It's definitely a huge item, right at the forefront, but it's nothing we can't manage."

Idzik hinted he could take a revolving-door approach to the roster. He mentioned his former team, the Seahawks, noting that in Pete Carroll's first season (2010), "I'd be willing to bet we set the record for NFL transactions in a year. We were massaging that roster pretty good the entire year." He said competition will be an ongoing theme.

Idzik said Rex Ryan has "extraordinary traits" and, when pressed, he said he would've had no problem hiring Ryan if the head-coaching position had been vacant. "Yeah, absolutely, you'd want a guy like Rex."

He said he was "comfortable" with Ryan's choice of Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator, adding that he has "trust in Rex" and talked with him throughout the selection process.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:shake head:

I see what is meant now by his lack of scouting rep. This is the kind of stuff that can happen. he's letting the inmates run the asylum....

Not reading the whole articles again?

Idzik's hands are tied with Sanchez. His salary renders him untradeable and uncuttable. As long as the guy is on your roster you've got to publicly support him.

THINK for a second. Have you ever heard a GM say a negative thing about an active player on his roster?

A Football Man would say what is on his mind no matter what. A Football Man would provide light in the darkness, and would ensure that the creature Sanchez never harm us again. Instead....instead Sanchez finds another sap willing to give him yet another chance. It's sad even. Will we Jets fans ever be able to overcome with men who work against Football progress?

Idzik's hands are tied with Sanchez. His salary renders him untradeable and uncuttable. As long as the guy is on your roster you've got to publicly support him.

THINK for a second. Have you ever heard a GM say a negative thing about an active player on his roster?

This. They will support Sanchez as long as he's here, which will probably be for at least one more year. There's no moving him and Woody wouldn't eat his salary. Enough of this moaning and groaning already. Everyone with eyes and a brain knew this was going to be the case.

Anyone who thought Idzik was going to perform some miracle and get Sanchez off the roster was overly optimistic at best and delusional at worst.

A Football Man would say what is on his mind no matter what. A Football Man would provide light in the darkness, and would ensure that the creature Sanchez never harm us again. Instead....instead Sanchez finds another sap willing to give him yet another chance. It's sad even. Will we Jets fans ever be able to overcome with men who work against Football progress?

:face:

I know I've said this before - THANK YOU WOODY FOR NOT HIRING GATO AS YOUR GM!!!

good post

take a breath and wait a wee bit w/new GM.

If, and I say if he has something up his sleeves, it certainly wouldnt help that 'something' to crap on Mark.

And if he cant unload him, he'd rather have a backup (if mark cant win WCO job from Matt Moore, FA, or a IF released FA Alex Smith) that has some semblance of support in case disaster happened and he had to start again.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ew-york-jets-gm

He said he was "comfortable" with Ryan's choice of Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator, adding that he has "trust in Rex" and talked with him throughout the selection process.

??? Why is Rex, a guiy who, by his own admission, is clueless when it comes to offensive football, making hiring decisions for the offensive coordinator position?

A KARATE man bleeds on the inside.

??? Why is Rex, a guy who, by his own admission, is clueless when it comes to offensive football, making hiring decisions for the offensive coordinator position?

Guys who know nothing about offensive football are still capable of determining which guys can run an offense. Mornhinweg, by all accounts, is a solid hire. As long as Sanchez isn't his starting QB he should have some success here.

I certainly don't blame Sparano for this past season. He didn't teach Sanchez to run into people's butts. Pennington and Sanchez sucked far more than Hackett, Heimerdinger, Schottenheimer and Sparano ever did.

You can't make chicken liver out of chicken $hit. Idzik is between a rock and a hard place with Sanchez, the cap and plenty of holes to fill. He is is publicly approaching this the right way.

Needs talent around whomever may be the QB.

??? Why is Rex, a guiy who, by his own admission, is clueless when it comes to offensive football, making hiring decisions for the offensive coordinator position?

Plus Mornhinweg passes the ball more than Rex wants to. So first Rex is Groundz and Poundz, now he is not? Just like that? He doesn't know!

Idzik is smart. He's starting to differentiate which acquisitions are Jets vs what acquisitions are Rex's. When they throw Rex overboard after this season, Morninwheig is firmly stapled to his back.

If you have actual inside info then please tell, if not chill.

If I'm the only one mentioning Idzik's lack of scouting background then it seems I AM privy to inside info. Why just the other day my contact, who shall remain nameless, said that the Jets are resigned to ride out the Sanchez situation unless something cokes up somehow.Idzik is too uncreative to get out of it plus Rex and Woody, the decision makers, are fans.

If I'm the only one mentioning Idzik's lack of scouting background then it seems I AM privy to inside info. Why just the other day my contact, who shall remain nameless, said that the Jets are resigned to ride out the Sanchez situation unless something cokes up somehow.Idzik is too uncreative to get out of it plus Rex and Woody, the decision makers, are fans.

So your source is ignoring the salary cap too. Great.

Guys who know nothing about offensive football are still capable of determining which guys can run an offense. Mornhinweg, by all accounts, is a solid hire. As long as Sanchez isn't his starting QB he should have some success here.

I certainly don't blame Sparano for this past season. He didn't teach Sanchez to run into people's butts. Pennington and Sanchez sucked far more than Hackett, Heimerdinger, Schottenheimer and Sparano ever did.

Stating Pennington sucked is just revisionist history. The guy is the most accurate passer in NFL History. In 2008, he finished second in MVP voting to Peyton Manning,. Earned two CPOY awards, and he had several very successful seasons. In fact, he was the QB of the Dolphins team that beat us when we were led by the mighty Brett Favre...and Sparano was his coach. So who made who? Fact is, Rex chose Sparano and Sparano was a huge bust. His offense was terrible throughout the year starting with the preseason. His misuse of Tebow and lack of gameplanning ability, lack of feel for the flow of a game, and inabilty to keep his QB from badly regressing shows Rex made a bad decision with Sparano. Now, I'm Okay with the new OC, don't get me wrong. I just don't like the idea that Rex was given the authority to make that hire.

This board is becoming hard to read.

posters really bitching about the fact that our GM wont blast the coach and a QB on the team after having the job for a week. He did say there would be someone to compete with the QB, which is all we can ask for. The coach is going to be the coach for the 2013 season. Too bad u dont like it.

This board is becoming hard to read.

posters really bitching about the fact that our GM wont blast the coach and a QB on the team after having the job for a week. He did say there would be someone to compete with the QB, which is all we can ask for. The coach is going to be the coach for the 2013 season. Too bad u dont like it.

agree. some of these folks rely on beat writers as opposed to knowing whats really happening.

Madden Video era of instant gratification and making moves on spot LOL

Pretty words aside, there's only one direction for Idzik to move in. Cutting Sanchez would cost the Jets a whopping $12.8 million cap hit, not a setback New York can afford. The Jets are roughly $20 million over the cap -- a dilemma Idzik labeled a "huge item" -- meaning Sanchez has a spot on the roster no matter what in 2013.

Pretty provocative title for a complete non-issue. Of course Sanchez will be able to compete for a starting job. He's more expensive to cut than he is to keep. And the sad truth is that there aren't many avenues out there for the Jets to upgrade the QB position this year.

It's just those last few words that stood out to me. Idzik was involved throughout the selection process? Weren't Idzik and Mornhinweg hired on the same day? Certainly within 24 hours of each other. I had speculated about this when the hires were announced. I think it's pretty clear that fixing the Jets offense was a major part of the GM interview process, and that while the Jets were zeroing in on hiring Idzik, Idzik was giving his blessing to (or maybe even recommending) the Mornhinweg hire.

Pretty provocative title for a complete non-issue. Of course Sanchez will be able to compete for a starting job. He's more expensive to cut than he is to keep. And the sad truth is that there aren't many avenues out there for the Jets to upgrade the QB position this year.

It's just those last few words that stood out to me. Idzik was involved throughout the selection process? Weren't Idzik and Mornhinweg hired on the same day? Certainly within 24 hours of each other. I had speculated about this when the hires were announced. I think it's pretty clear that fixing the Jets offense was a major part of the GM interview process, and that while the Jets were zeroing in on hiring Idzik, Idzik was giving his blessing to (or maybe even recommending) the Mornhinweg hire.

quit making sense .You will confuse the Chicken Littles in here, LOL

10966808.jpg

Archived