*** Mafia Goodnerds Books with Words Reading Club ***

Integrity28

I know a handful of you come from a site dedicated to a series of books, and I know many of the Jets fans here are avid readers, like Jetscode and Hess, who both have given me the impression they are well read.

Mafia gives me a great channel of interest into some movies/shows I've not come across, was hoping maybe there were some books that we could surface as well.

Most recently, I think Hess mentioned the book "Drood" by Dan Simmons in a post. I needed something to read on my flight home, and had about 10 minutes to pick a book, so I grabbed it. So far, it's pretty good... would be cool if we can keep this thread vital with other great suggestions.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what kind of books are you looking to be suggested? Do you have any kind of genre you like? Even something like "lots of guns" is helpful in making a suggestion.

No. I don't have a preferred genre.

My wife got me to read those Mockingjay books along with her though, those were middle school reading level. I do prefer books that push the boundaries of my vocabulary. Fiction, non-fiction doesn't matter. Compelling stories does.

I love, LOVE, character development. Intrigue. Suspense. Stories of honor, courage. That sort of stuff.

I mostly read a LOT of YA Lit these days, lol. But I will recommend a favorite book of mine, Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. Check out some of the reviews because I can't do it justice. It was one of the most enjoyable reads of my life and really well done.

No. I don't have a preferred genre.

My wife got me to read those Mockingjay books along with her though, those were middle school reading level. I do prefer books that push the boundaries of my vocabulary. Fiction, non-fiction doesn't matter. Compelling stories does.

I love, LOVE, character development. Intrigue. Suspense. Stories of honor, courage. That sort of stuff.

DicknJane.jpeg

I know a handful of you come from a site dedicated to a series of books, and I know many of the Jets fans here are avid readers, like Jetscode and Hess, who both have given me the impression they are well read.

Mafia gives me a great channel of interest into some movies/shows I've not come across, was hoping maybe there were some books that we could surface as well.

Most recently, I think Hess mentioned the book "Drood" by Dan Simmons in a post. I needed something to read on my flight home, and had about 10 minutes to pick a book, so I grabbed it. So far, it's pretty good... would be cool if we can keep this thread vital with other great suggestions.

thats awesome! I hope I didn't steer you in the wrong direstion. The plot can be tedious at times but he's just a really good writer IMO.

thats awesome! I hope I didn't steer you in the wrong direstion. The plot can be tedious at times but he's just a really good writer IMO.

It's great so far. Yeah, there are some points that drag, but overall I'm interested still after 200 pages in 3 days, which is a lot when you consider all the crap I've got going on.

Honor and courage eh?

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is a well thought of fantasy series. I read the first book and loved it, but haven't read any further yet. What I like about it so far are the Bridgeburners, which is an elite military company that the Empress of the Malazan Empire throws into suicide missions because she wants them dead. Their willingness to go into missions that are obviously designed to kill them and the camaraderie they share is really cool.

Honor and courage eh?

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is a well thought of fantasy series. I read the first book and loved it, but haven't read any further yet. What I like about it so far are the Bridgeburners, which is an elite military company that the Empress of the Malazan Empire throws into suicide missions because she wants them dead. Their willingness to go into missions that are obviously designed to kill them and the camaraderie they share is really cool.

Sounds like I should be giving you a wedgie.

Kinda been wanting to read either James Bond or Sherlock Holmes books for awhile now but haven't gotten around to it yet

Anyone ever read any of those? How are they?

I really like Sherlock Holmes but I know it's not everyone's thing.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Passage" by Justin Cronin (2010) got incredible reviews a la McCarthy's "The Road".  I'll be reading that one soon.

I read, The Road, and I loved it. It's super easy to read, I think it took like 2-3 nights and I was done. Could not watch the movie. It's like, why put myself through a visual of this story when I already know the ending. 

I read, The Road, and I loved it. It's super easy to read, I think it took like 2-3 nights and I was done. Could not watch the movie. It's like, why put myself through a visual of this story when I already know the ending. 

I had to put Drood down for a while... the whiney tangents of envy, despite being well-written, are a bit much to push through when all you want is the actual mystery part of the book. LOL, need to get back into it.

I had to put Drood down for a while... the whiney tangents of envy, despite being well-written, are a bit much to push through when all you want is the actual mystery part of the book. LOL, need to get back into it.

I completely agree. It starts off so good and then the whole scene, when they go underground is so great. It builds itself up and then all the sudden, it's a christmas party and I don't give a sh*t about his family. I'm still hoping Drood is not who Dickens is saying he is. I'm hoping it's all a lie to cover up something. But ole Wilkie needs to pick up the pace.

Anyway, keep in mind I've read a couple different Simmons books. The Terror, which was literally a terror to read, like 800 pages or something, ended up being one of my favorite books of all time...but more due to the last 200 pages than anything else. He also has an awesome book Carrion Comfort, which is about mind vampires dating back to the Nazi concentration camps. 

That said I checked goodreads and Drood has a lower score than most of his other, more recent, books. 

Let me know and I'll let you know, if or when either of us makes it through. In the end the guy has never let me down. LOL, I'm just hoping I didn't end up turning you on to the wrong book. 

Ok, so here's a good list imo:

Ape, if you were to ever take my advice again on a book, PLEASE make it this one. It's a super easy read and if I had to pick out a book with a character you'd probably identify yourself with, it's Ender. LOL.  Also they are turning this into a movie sometime this year or next, can't remember. FYI, the theme is Sci-fi but this is more of a military book than anything else. The Sci-fi is just a backdrop. 

375802.jpg

Ok, so here's a good list imo:

Ape, if you were to ever take my advice again on a book, PLEASE make it this one. It's a super easy read and if I had to pick out a book with a character you'd probably identify yourself with, it's Ender. LOL. Also they are turning this into a movie sometime this year or next, can't remember. FYI, the theme is Sci-fi but this is more of a military book than anything else. The Sci-fi is just a backdrop.

375802.jpg

One of my and JVoR's favorite books! My kids never want to try it because they think the cover sucks though, lol.

One of my and JVoR's favorite books! My kids never want to try it because they think the cover sucks though, lol.

LOL, I know I only originally bought it b/c it was in an airport bookstore and I was bored waiting for the plane. I could do nothing else but think about it until I was done after I started it though. :)

Did either of you guys get through the entire "Saga". The storyline gets really...really strange. The first book is totally awesome as a stand alone, something I'd recommend to anybody. I personally really like the rest of the series but I totally wouldn't recommend it to anyone else except a super hardcore Sci-fi person.  There's also a whole other series involving the characters in the book which I haven't read. 

LOL, I know I only originally bought it b/c it was in an airport bookstore and I was bored waiting for the plane. I could do nothing else but think about it until I was done after I started it though. :)

Did either of you guys get through the entire "Saga". The storyline gets really...really strange. The first book is totally awesome as a stand alone, something I'd recommend to anybody. I personally really like the rest of the series but I totally wouldn't recommend it to anyone else except a super hardcore Sci-fi person. There's also a whole other series involving the characters in the book which I haven't read.

JVoR has read ALL of them I think, lol. But he's told me not to read them because he doesn't think it's worth it.

And if you like books that make you laugh, really I won't stop recommending Then We Came to the End (Joshua Ferris)!! It's kind of like a cross between Catch-22 and The Office, lol. It's accessible but very well written. I heard they're making it into a movie too.

Archived