*** Mafia Goodnerds Books with Words Reading Club ***

Integrity28

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for "brilliance" I'd say they're both geniuses but with different strengths. Ender's more of an intuitive big picture guy while Bean is better at working quickly and thoroughly on one task.

You've peaked my interest to read the Shadow series but there's just too many other things I want to read first. 

In the end I would say his super-emotional intelligence and hyper sensitivity was his biggest strength and weakness. Probably why he needed his best friend to be a computer. However, he did have the weight of not just the world but the entire universe on his shoulders for what, over 5,000 years of something like that. Guess we should probably give him a break. 

• 3 months later...

Ok, so here's a good list imo:

Ape, if you were to ever take my advice again on a book, PLEASE make it this one. It's a super easy read and if I had to pick out a book with a character you'd probably identify yourself with, it's Ender. LOL.  Also they are turning this into a movie sometime this year or next, can't remember. FYI, the theme is Sci-fi but this is more of a military book than anything else. The Sci-fi is just a backdrop. 

375802.jpg

Alright bud, I've finally gotten the hang of the new baby stuff, there are no "open" home improvement/nesting projects, and I'm doing less freelance after hours... so I picked up my copy and started reading last night. 

Your assessment of me self-identifying with Ender has been accurate thus far. I'm really enjoying this one... and for the record, I've still not finished Drood, but I mean to. LOL

Great recommendation... it's been a few months, so if you've come across anything new please feel free to make more recs. Seems we have similar taste. Thanks again.

Alright bud, I've finally gotten the hang of the new baby stuff, there are no "open" home improvement/nesting projects, and I'm doing less freelance after hours... so I picked up my copy and started reading last night.

Your assessment of me self-identifying with Ender has been accurate thus far. I'm really enjoying this one... and for the record, I've still not finished Drood, but I mean to. LOL

Great recommendation... it's been a few months, so if you've come across anything new please feel free to make more recs. Seems we have similar taste. Thanks again.

Nice. I have to say I think the movie did a decent job portraying pieces of the book.

Also, I did finish Drood and as a whole, it turned out ok. Del Toro is making it into a movie, which should be pretty awesome as I'm sure he'll flush out all the tedious BS.

Nice. I have to say I think the movie did a decent job portraying pieces of the book.

Also, I did finish Drood and as a whole, it turned out ok. Del Toro is making it into a movie, which should be pretty awesome as I'm sure he'll flush out all the tedious BS.

I'll probably see the movie when it hits Netflix. I'm glad they didn't bastardize it.

I remember you mentioning the Drood film, I think it'd make a really, really interesting film. The journey into psychosis makes for an amazing premise, as I don't think anyone knows any of this about Dickens... and I find myself constantly debating what I'm reading as fiction or non-fiction. Believability is a great source of tension that isn't part of the book, but part of the experience of reading it. I just have to clear my plate to finish it!

The movie was ok, but I was kinda disappointed.  It felt rushed.  If they had extended it to 2.5 hours and put more Battle School stuff in, I think it would have been better.  More time to show us Ender's stuff in the battleroom and show us that he's a genius instead of having Graff do all that exposition.

The movie was ok, but I was kinda disappointed.  It felt rushed.  If they had extended it to 2.5 hours and put more Battle School stuff in, I think it would have been better.  More time to show us Ender's stuff in the battleroom and show us that he's a genius instead of having Graff do all that exposition.

Absolutely, rushed especially to those who read the book. But that usually happens. The plot is super weak in the movie bc you miss a lot of the battle school stuff, which is really the best part of the book...as you watch Ender's rise. You also miss out on all the Val/Peter stuff in the movie...which are great parts of the book...and those parts become more important in the later books. But I really liked the actors they picked, everyone was right on to what I'd have thought they looked like. The landscapes etc were awesome. The program/game was almost exactly how I pictured it. Effects were all solid.   Thin plot but I didn't care bc I could fill in from knowing the book. And both my kids loved it (the movie). 

Alright you creepers.... I'm not quite finished with Ender's yet, but so far my thoughts so far... it's interesting where the author chooses to be over-descriptive and where he chooses brevity and implies things. Case in point, the conversation when Ender realizes Dink may not be his friend any more. The author, rather than writing out the dialogue, is lazy and writes something to the effect of "a few more meaningless comments were made"... meanwhile, every time the boys strip down to change uniforms, he seems much more over-indulgent in making the point that the boys are doing something while naked.

It's prevalent throughout the book to be honest. It's basically a book about boys being treated as men, almost against their will, while actual grown men are tasked with "breaking them", and the boys are naked a lot.

The book holds up, for the most part, as good sci-fi. I just cannot ignore the undertones of major, major pedo-creepiness by the author.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading Game of Thrones right now, 150 pages in, after about 2 days (with a 3 month old and 8-10 hour work days, I'm flying through it).

First off, I LOVE the way it's written. Over-descriptive passages all have purpose, there's nothing gratuitous, and yet it's so detailed and necessary. Second, I am astonished at how well the actors carried these well-developed characters to the screen. Specifically, Peter Dinklage.

The character development and acting in the HBO series was not lost on me, I love it... but I didn't expect it to so consistent and frankly over-shadowed by the books themselves.

Also... I still haven't finished Drooooooood. LOL

That japanese manga sh*t? I think it's messed up. I don't like that stuff at all. I prefer real naked ladies, no octopus tentacles and x-men. All separate please. Thanks.

Dude I'm almost 50.  That sh*t is as strange as apetite suppression to me.  Im talking old school stuff like 70's playboy and penthouse cartoons.  Awesome.  LOL

Archived