Marshall Faulk: "I'll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl."

JetsFanInDenver

Marshall Faulk says Rams 'cheated out of Super Bowl' in loss to Patriots

By Ryan Wilson | Blogger

11:07 AM ET January 30, 2013

The Patriots entered Super Bowl XXXIV as 14-point underdogs to the "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams. When it was over, New England pulled off the upset and had its first Lombardi Trophy. Pats fans would tell you that coach Bill Belichick, second-year quarterback Tom Brady and kicker Adam Vinatieri deserved most of the credit. But 11 years later, Hall of Famer and former Rams running back Marshall Faulk has another explanation for the outcome.

"Am I over the loss? Yeah, I'm over the loss," Faulk told CSNNE.com's Tom Curran on Tuesday. "But I'll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl. That's a different story. I can understand losing a Super Bowl; that's fine … But how things happened and what took place. Obviously, the commissioner gets to handle things how he wants to handle them. But if they wanted us to shut up about what happened, show us the tapes. Don't burn 'em."

Faulk is referring to the Patriots having tape of opposing coaches sending in defensive signals. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell never found evidence that New England had taped a Rams walkthrough in the days leading up to the Super Bowl, and he eventually destroyed the tapes that he had confiscated as part of the investigation.

"The reason I destroyed the tapes is they were totally consistent with what the team told me," Goodell said in 2008. "It was the appropriate thing to do, and I think it sent a message. The actual effectiveness of taping and taking of signals from opponents -- it is something done widely in many sports. I think it probably had limited if any effect on the outcome of games.

"That doesn't change my perspective on violating rules and the need to be punished."

Not surprisingly, Faulk -- along with plenty of Rams fans -- is skeptical that the Patriots were blameless.

"I understand Bill [belichick] is a great coach," Faulk told Curran. "But No. 13 [Kurt Warner] will tell you ... Mike Martz will tell you ... We had some plays in the red zone that we hadn't ran. I think we got to fourth down -- we ran three plays that we hadn't ran, that Mike drew up for that game. Bill's a helluva coach … we hadn't ran them the whole year [and the Patriots were ready for them]." And the only time that Rams practiced those plays? At the walkthrough.

Faulk, who is from New Orleans, then asked the question that many Saints fans have asked during the Saints' bounty scandal.

"… But am I bitter about how that went? Am I bitter about how the league handled them taping people? If Bountygate was that bad and [saints coach] Sean [Payton] got suspended for a whole year? If we want to talk about some unfair assessment of how we're assessing things? Man. If you lost a game and your brother cheated you," Faulk continued, "you'll remember that."

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faulk and Warner are two upright spokesmen for the league, so it adds credibility when they both go off about that Super Bowl. They're not just a couple of bitter wackjob conspiracy theorists who can't accept the loss. Pretty damning, IMO.

But, I still believe Goodell swept it under the rug because he found out that every team in the league was using similar tactics to some degree.

Not sure if the Pats actually had tape on the Rams' walkthrough but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Goodell burning the tapes was a huge mistake because now people can justifiably assume the worst. And pretty much every team in the NFL was using that practice or similar ones. The only reason it became such a huge deal with the Patriots was because Mangini was a bitter dick.

Faulk and Warner are two upright spokesmen for the league, so it adds credibility when they both go off about that Super Bowl. They're not just a couple of bitter wackjob conspiracy theorists who can't accept the loss. Pretty damning, IMO.

But, I still believe Goodell swept it under the rug because he found out that every team in the league was using similar tactics to some degree.

I disagree. I think he swept it under the table because the tapes were exactly as bad as suspected and then he would have had to decide whether or not to strip a franchise of a championship. Having a clearly tainted Super Bowl or three would be devastating to the sport.

Not sure if the Pats actually had tape on the Rams' walkthrough but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Goodell burning the tapes was a huge mistake because now people can justifiably assume the worst. And pretty much every team in the NFL was using that practice or similar ones. The only reason it became such a huge deal with the Patriots was because Mangini was a bitter dick.

That's exactly right. If there were really nothing damaging on the tapes, there's no reason not to let the media and the public see them.

Great point. People don;t destroy things for no reason. If those tapes looked like the tapes any other team made then why burn them? Goodell and head injuries will destroy football as we know it. Book it.

Almost every player on every team is using PED's. It's a league of cheating. If they get away with it you lose. Get over it.

That's exactly right. If there were really nothing damaging on the tapes, there's no reason not to let the media and the public see them.

Great point. People don;t destroy things for no reason. If those tapes looked like the tapes any other team made then why burn them? Goodell and head injuries will destroy football as we know it. Book it.

To properly run the conspiracy you are supposed to destroy the actual tapes and then release dummy tapes that are exactly like the tapes any team made. ****ing amateurs.

No evidence=no story. All Goodell had to do was wait out the news cycle.

it was so much more than tapes. the mysterious extra frequency. opponent QB headseats going out in the 4th quarter in ratsboro. ballboys looking at whiteboards in the locker room

it was a culture of cheating

How do you come to that conclusion ?

Taping during a live game is one thing ...taping a walk through should have been punished severely......it allows you to prepare for plays a team may be implementing for your specific team. Im pretty sure teams change up signals/audibles/plays from week to week since the team your going to play has access to game film. The question here is what was on that tape ?

If it was a private walk through tape - Severe penalties - to the point of banning Bill Belichick and all involved from the NFL, Im not just saying this because its the Patriots I would say the same thing if it were the Dolphins :P

If it was game tape - who the **** cares since all teams have access to it so if your dumb enough to use the same signals or plays you deserve to lose.

Taping during a live game is one thing ...taping a walk through should have been punished severely......it allows you to prepare for plays a team may be implementing for your specific team. Im pretty sure teams change up signals/audibles/plays from week to week since the team your going to play has access to game film. The question here is what was on that tape ?

If it was a private walk through tape - Severe penalties - to the point of banning Bill Belichick and all involved from the NFL, Im not just saying this because its the Patriots I would say the same thing if it were the Dolphins :tongue:

If it was game tape - who the **** cares since all teams have access to it so if your dumb enough to use the same signals or plays you deserve to lose.

There was as glint of light from the window during the walk through!

Yeah but if the tapes are clean just show them. The things ends right there.

Thier not clean bacon brain.. The point i'm making is that the Pats obviously had the goods on other teams.. Goodell, rather then implicate the entire sport, buried it

If you want to make your feelings known please email the commissioner at Roger.Goddell@Patriots.com.

Funny. Jets' fans think the former Jets' employee is in bed with the Patriots. Patriots fans thiinnk the opposite :rl:

How do you come to that conclusion ?

Oy! Why would the comissioner bury something to hide the fact that everyone does it....because coaches and players said they did it or had seen it done. Jimmie Johnson said he did it for the Chiefs. Vermiel said it has been going on forever.

I know your blind jealousy blurs everything, but at least pay attention.

Obviously some of the players who were the victims of this cheating are finding it hard to let go. Wonder why ?

They are whiny bitches?

Every fanbase still talks about Spygate

Orly? I have not lived in New England since 88. I have been to most corners of the world and have run into just about every other team's fan and no one mentions it. It is mentioned on messageboards. Congrats..you are that guy.

The only reason it became such a huge deal with the Patriots was because Mangini was a bitter dick.

Actually no, the only people who try to use that excuse is dipsh*t Pats fans who can't admit that Belichick being an arrogant a$$hole is literally the only reason that whole situation turned out the way it did. Go back and look at how everything went down. Belichick, despite knowing that Mangini was obviously well aware of these tactics, tried to pull that sh*t against the Jets anyway. The Jets caught them and put an end to it. The Pats, again being moronic douchebags, refused to hand over what they had taped of the Jets that day. An argument ensued, which NFL security got involved and they ultimately confiscated the tapes for themselves. I am no fan of Mangini, as he was a pretty awful coach, but that doesn't make him to blame for the Pats going through a series of decisions, all of which were as stupid as humanly possible, that are the sole reason that they got caught red handed. So unless you are suggesting that Mangini should have knowingly let the Pats cheat against them, which would the dumbest argument you could possibly make, he's pretty far down the list of reasons responsible for that mess. Regardless of if it's something every other team in the league was doing, they are still the ones who got caught and it's their own fault.

Orly? I have not lived in New England since 88. I have been to most corners of the world and have run into just about every other team's fan and no one mentions it. It is mentioned on messageboards. Congrats..you are that guy.

the people who mention it are losers who cant get past it and move on. Marshall Faulk. Rams fans. Jets fans.. etc

Archived