Great article about positional value in the NFL, and how it pertains to paying Revis from NYJetsCap.com

slats

We all love Revis. He's a phenomenal player. But, 2012 proved that his value is really marginal. The Jets pass D did not suffer tremendously, if at all, in Revis' absence

As such, you simply cannot make a Revis the highest paid player on your team. Especially a team that has no quarterback. Can we get one of those first? It's kind of been awhile since we had anyone worth a damn at the most important position on the field.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty. CJ2K has been overpaid garbage since his big payday.

Ah, and his cut contract should match that if not top it. Got it.

Any of him, Jones, Mendenhall, Greene, and whoever I'm forgetting wants to rebuild their stock for cheap should come to Los Yets.

How real of a possibility is it to get even one of Cherlius or LeVitre? Does the team really need 2 more big money OLmen? Do they really come out to be cheaper anyway?

There has to be a way to sign one of those guys without trading Revis. Possibly one way would be to trade the new It Guy, Cromartie.

The chances are probably as real as Revis accepting anything less than the $16 million he wants, give or take. It wasn't my sit-down-and-hash-it-out-for-hours plan, it was just the first thing off the top of my head to show that you can get two extremely high paid players at their position to equal that of just Revis. The point being, which I know you get, is that is difference between Revis and the guy we'll replace, more significant than signing two players who are worlds better than what we have?? I dunno, but that's why it's not as cut and dry as just keep him.

The chances are probably as real as Revis accepting anything less than the $16 million he wants, give or take. It wasn't my sit-down-and-hash-it-out-for-hours plan, it was just the first thing off the top of my head to show that you can get two extremely high paid players at their position to equal that of just Revis. The point being, which I know you get, is that is difference between Revis and the guy we'll replace, more significant than signing two players who are worlds better than what we have?? I dunno, but that's why it's not as cut and dry as just keep him.

Why not make the room by trading Cromartie this year and cutting any number of Harris, Sanchez, Scott, Holmes, and/or Pouha next year? That would free up a shyteload of cap.

Why not make the room by trading Cromartie this year and cutting any number of Harris, Sanchez, Scott, Holmes, and/or Pouha next year? That would free up a shyteload of cap.

Well scott's gone this year and Sanchez and most likely holmes are as good as gone next year so those are obvious options. Trading Revis doesn't prevent us from doing the other, they aren't mutually exclusive. The point is, by paying Revis 40%+ more than the second and third best CB are we getting that much back on return?? Same goes for all our players. I just want the best team possible not to say 20 years from now that I got to see the best CB whoever played the game.

Because a contract with Revis isn't worth the paper it's written on after his guaranteed money is over. He'll never make the same mistake twice of signing a contract that hurts his future earnings/freedom if he holds out.

This was the trade-off we got for losing the ability to franchise tag him. We can't tag him in 2014. But we didn't have to deal with another Revis holdout in the summer of 2012 either. And he 100% would have held out without a new or reworked deal.

He can be trusted as far as Greg McElroy can throw Kenrick Ellis.

The point is, by paying Revis 40%+ more than the second and third best CB are we getting that much back on return??

if the second CB is Nnamdi and the third is Cro that's the state of CB in the league. He's got phenomenal, HOF talent. He makes the plays that win games. 2 good guys < 1 great guy.

So this is the Jets future if we sign Revis for the "workable" number of $15M/year (something like 5 years $75M with $45M guaranteed, plus he wants to tear up the last year of his existing deal with the "insulting" $6M base salary and no new bonus):

• 2013: give Revis $25M signing bonus. Base year salary is lower, but still have $3M cap hit from older deal. Cap # is still in the $10-12M range because we can't afford to have him hit more than that this year. Bloats salary numbers for the remaining 4 years of this new deal. 4 years $46M remain on his deal ($16M guaranteed)
  • 2014: option bonus $8M and base salary is about $8M. Add to base salary the amortized amounts of new contract SB ($5M+$2M) and old contract SB ($3M). Cap # is $18M. Guaranteed money is now over. Revis has been paid $45M over the first 2 years.
  • 2015: Base salary $10M. Amortized prior bonus amounts still $10M. Cap # is $21M.
  • 2016: base salary is $16M. Amortized prior bonus $10M. Cap # is $24M.
  • 2017: base salary is $17M. Amortized prior bonus $7M. Cap # is $22M.

Except here's the funny part. Revis will hold out after year 2 because $10M for the year is insulting to him. He wants more of his future money now. Jets have no choice since it is a fiscal impossibility to cut or trade him with the accelerated cap hit.

• New 2015 numbers: $9M option/signing bonus ($6M taken from 2016 or 2017 or $3M from each) and base salary dropped from $10M to $7M. New annual amortized bonus is $5M+2M+3M=$10M on top of the annual salary for the new contract and $3M for his old one remains. So 2015 his cap hit drops $1M to $20M.
  • New 2016 numbers: $13M base salary + $13M amortized bonus = $26M cap hit
  • New 2017 numbers: $14M base salary + $10M amortized bonus = $24M cap hit

So it's easy to see how a "$15M/year" contract turns into cap hits of:

• 2013: $12M
  • 2014: $18M
  • 2015: $20-21M (depending on holding out)
  • 2016: $24-26M
  • 2017: $22-24M

And that's a likely upside. Allow the possibility that the 5 years is an extension rather than a new deal, leaving time for him to hold out twice on the new deal. Or allow that his 2014 number will be higher. The higher that 2014 number is, the greater likelihood of him holding out in 2015. With or without that, this is pure insanity even if you allow the great assumption that Revis will be 100% healthy and always playing at an all-pro level every month of every year for the next 5-6 seasons.

He's just a cornerback. An all-time great one, but just a cornerback nonetheless.

Interesting read above from Sperm.

At the end of the day keeping Revis is not an option. Unless his agent goes out to the market and finds out that teams are not willing to bet on a CB coming off a major surgery as great as he might be at what he does for the price that would satisfy Revis.

The one thing going for the JETS if they want to keep him for a decent price point is the failure of the Aso signing with Eagles. Would make many teams wary of making HUGE bets. Unfortunately if the JETS are hell bent on trading him than that Aso signing goes against them!

Sperm made some great points. And the best comparison in the original article was Larry Fitzgerald. The guy is a beast. One of the best WRs in the NFL. Probably a HOF WR. Except the Cardinals stink. They've stunk since Kurt Warner retired. They seem like a team who will stink for years. And Fitzgerald can't do a damn thing about it unless he leaves. Which has been talked about.

it is a talent thing. But a huge salary for one player who plays a position that really depends on everybody else being good.

Like Fitzgerald. Trade him to any team in the NFL and they probably have a better team. Except if the team has no OL and no QB and no RB.

So the Jets pay Revis $15 Million per year and can't afford to sign or resign other good players. They probably can't afford to resign Comartie or anybody comparable, so suddenly it's Revis and Kyle Wilson. Great Revis shuts down the best WR, while Wilson gets burned all game long. And the Jets finish 8-8 or worse for years. Great future.

Except here's the funny part. Revis will hold out after year 2 because $10M for the year is insulting to him. He wants more of his future money now. Jets have no choice since it is a fiscal impossibility to cut or trade him with the accelerated cap hit.

Plus they'd have to give him this $15M/year deal at a time when he's coming off an ACL injury, when there's a legitimate fear that he's never the same player again. So maybe instead of the greatest at the position, he drops into the top ten. Then what? Well, then the Jets are in the lose-lose position of overpaying for a lesser player, or having the GOAT holding out on them again.

And if you get an injury discount, he's sure to hold out sooner rather than later.

Either way, the best, highest paid player on your team is essentially a non-factor against your #1 rival because of the position he plays. That just doesn't seem like a wise allocation of resources to me.

So this is the Jets future if we sign Revis for the "workable" number of $15M/year (something like 5 years $75M with $45M guaranteed, plus he wants to tear up the last year of his existing deal with the "insulting" $6M base salary and no new bonus):

• 2013: give Revis $25M signing bonus. Base year salary is lower, but still have $3M cap hit from older deal. Cap # is still in the $10-12M range because we can't afford to have him hit more than that this year. Bloats salary numbers for the remaining 4 years of this new deal. 4 years $46M remain on his deal ($16M guaranteed)
  • 2014: option bonus $8M and base salary is about $8M. Add to base salary the amortized amounts of new contract SB ($5M+$2M) and old contract SB ($3M). Cap # is $18M. Guaranteed money is now over. Revis has been paid $45M over the first 2 years.
  • 2015: Base salary $10M. Amortized prior bonus amounts still $10M. Cap # is $21M.
  • 2016: base salary is $16M. Amortized prior bonus $10M. Cap # is $24M.
  • 2017: base salary is $17M. Amortized prior bonus $7M. Cap # is $22M.

• New 2015 numbers: $9M option/signing bonus ($6M taken from 2016 or 2017 or $3M from each) and base salary dropped from $10M to $7M. New annual amortized bonus is $5M+2M+3M=$10M on top of the annual salary for the new contract and $3M for his old one remains. So 2015 his cap hit drops $1M to $20M.
  • New 2016 numbers: $13M base salary + $13M amortized bonus = $26M cap hit
  • New 2017 numbers: $14M base salary + $10M amortized bonus = $24M cap hit

So it's easy to see how a "$15M/year" contract turns into cap hits of:

• 2013: $12M
  • 2014: $18M
  • 2015: $20-21M (depending on holding out)
  • 2016: $24-26M
  • 2017: $22-24M

And that's a likely upside. Allow the possibility that the 5 years is an extension rather than a new deal, leaving time for him to hold out twice on the new deal. Or allow that his 2014 number will be higher. The higher that 2014 number is, the greater likelihood of him holding out in 2015. With or without that, this is pure insanity even if you allow the great assumption that Revis will be 100% healthy and always playing at an all-pro level every month of every year for the next 5-6 seasons.

He's just a cornerback. An all-time great one, but just a cornerback nonetheless.

This is the best article I’ve seen cutting through all the emotion of trading the GOAT CB.

It never ends

even if you want to trade Revis, now is not the time. It's trading him at a low. and the 2013 draft sucks anyway for the QB that we all supposed to want instead.

if you want to trade Revis, do it week 4 of the regular season and get 2014 picks. After he's proven he's healthy.

even if you want to trade Revis, now is not the time. It's trading him at a low. and the 2013 draft sucks anyway for the QB that we all supposed to want instead.

if you want to trade Revis, do it week 4 of the regular season and get 2014 picks. After he's proven he's healthy.

Then you're opening yourself up to the risk of Revis not demonstrating that he's 100% over the first quarter of the season or worse, he gets hurt again. The potential is there for his stock to be lower or even nonexistent during the regular season.

Then you're opening yourself up to the risk of Revis not demonstrating that he's 100% over the first quarter of the season or worse, he gets hurt again. The potential is there for his stock to be lower or even nonexistent during the regular season.

Maybe i'm wrong but the package they would get right now is closer to the 3rd round comp than the hershal walker mega deal everyone wants. I can't see them getting multiple 1st this offseason for Revis. Not until he's proven health.

Trade him before draft - Stock down due to injury

Trade him after draft - Stock may be down due to not being fully recovered from injury

Extend him - All that means is that he stops the acquisition of other significant talents due to his salary, and his holdout is again postponed. Plus he's probably slowed by the injury.

How am I not surprised that keeping Revis has become a no win situation?

it's so much easier to have 53 well behaved cheap low talent players. That way Jets fans can just enjoy losing in peace.

How do you feel about Jet fans that continue to support lost causes of high draft picks, when all sensible results tell a reasonable fan to cut bait? Do those Jet fans deserve better?

How do you feel about Jet fans that continue to support lost causes of high draft picks, when all sensible results tell a reasonable fan to cut bait? Do those Jet fans deserve better?

If a fan wants to be optimistic that fan is not hurting the team. the fans don't make the decisions on personnel. I can support Mark Sanchez and the fact that I don't want him drawn and quartered and shot into space doesn't matter. Everyone should be free to support the team in the way they feel fit. the tear-it-down crowd is no more right than the over-supporters.

If a fan wants to be optimistic that fan is not hurting the team. the fans don't make the decisions on personnel. I can support Mark Sanchez and the fact that I don't want him drawn and quartered and shot into space doesn't matter. Everyone should be free to support the team in the way they feel fit. the tear-it-down crowd is no more right than the over-supporters.

I would suggest then, that you not refer as much as you do "how Jet fans would then be happy" with any number of consequences.

I can't wait to see the tone of everyone here when the Jets are officially without Revis....and were watching kyle wilson chasing every WR into the endzone.....or even better, watching kyle wilson throw his hands in the air when the WR catches the ball behind him.....i understand the whole cap thing, and if he leaves next year then we get nothing like we could now...cross that bridge when it comes imo....as for next year, i want Revis....he is a difference maker on every single play. make it happen idzik

This is not an option. Either we pay him now or trade him now. Letting it ride to the end of his contract is by far the worst option. We'd have to pay him big money in 2013 AND probably lose him for a 3rd round compensatory pick.

No, because it's not about the QB necessarily. You can take the 60 M guaranteed (obviously it wont end up that much, but even 2/3 is insane), you can disperse the money and make the team better as a whole.

Jets D really didn't take a significant step back w/o Revis.

They had the 2nd best pass defense in the league.

Archived