Great article about positional value in the NFL, and how it pertains to paying Revis from NYJetsCap.com

slats

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe i'm wrong but the package they would get right now is closer to the 3rd round comp than the hershal walker mega deal everyone wants. I can't see them getting multiple 1st this offseason for Revis. Not until he's proven health.

But the Jets should pay him before he proves himself healthy?

I don't think there are any Herschel Walker deals out there for any non-QB anymore, but I do think the Jets should be able to get a first rounder+ for Revis before the draft.

I don't think there are any Herschel Walker deals out there for any non-QB anymore, but I do think the Jets should be able to get a first rounder+ for Revis before the draft.

looking at this draft, you'd rather the pick be in 2014. this is a good draft in the middle, but it's a mess at the top.

Because we lose. All the time. Usually by overpaying undeserving players and whiffing on draft picks; particularly QB's.

Trading Revis now would be a sign we're trying to reverse this trend.

they don't lose all the time. They actually win more than they lose since Rex has been hired. Trading Revis isn't a committment to winning it's a fire sale. Liquidation.

looking at this draft, you'd rather the pick be in 2014. this is a good draft in the middle, but it's a mess at the top.

Because of Revis' injury, I figured a second in 2013 with a conditional #1 in 2014 based on Revis' playing time.

Or maybe they could get the number one up front, and trade it to someone else for a number one next year. Those moves happen.

The point being, you can't use the ACL as a reason to not trade him now, but ignore it when discussing the desire to pay him.

The point being, you can't use the ACL as a reason to not trade him now, but ignore it when discussing the desire to pay him.

why do they have to pay him now? why not pay him week 6? Like he won't accept a dump truck full of money in the middle of season

they don't lose all the time. They actually win more than they lose since Rex has been hired. Trading Revis isn't a committment to winning it's a fire sale. Liquidation.

The Jets actually won more than they lost in the 12 years prior to Rex being hired also. That did not take them to the promised land.

No player on this team should be considered untouchable. They should look to acquire better than value on any asset, and determine if that creates a better foundation for the club in the future.

Ability to create cap space has to be thought of as an asset to the club. Of course, they have to also add back talent sufficiently in that equation.

But to singlehandedly rule out that approach is problematic.

why do they have to pay him now? why not pay him week 6? Like he won't accept a dump truck full of money in the middle of season

Why would Revis negotiate mid-year, when he can name his terms and team at the end of the year.

You obviously have not followed Revis and his negotiation tactics. He enjoys leverage.

Literally, the only leverage we have now is the hint that he could come back worse, that's all we have. If he proves his health midway through the season, why would he sign anything?? There's nothing in his history that says he'll take or do anything that would sacrifice his payout.

Why would Revis negotiate mid-year, when he can name his terms and team at the end of the year.

You obviously have not followed Revis and his negotiation tactics. He enjoys leverage.

He's said he wants to retire a Jet. Tanny has been fired.

Using your logic he's not signable at all. It's a possibility but I don't believe it. A guy like Revis probably wants to play in New York for Rex Ryan... if the money is right.

If the jets make the money right why would he say No?

Literally, the only leverage we have now is the hint that he could come back worse, that's all we have. If he proves his health midway through the season, why would he sign anything?? There's nothing in his history that says he'll take or do anything that would sacrifice his payout.

right well if it plays out this way the Jets get more from a deal in the fall then they do right now. Even this conditional 1 plus a 2 deal that slats brings up is on the heavy side, considering what teams will have to pay him and the questions about his health. The other reason I like dealing him in the fall is we can see if the 2013 Jets are bad before burning it all down. They might surprise us, it has happened before.

Using your logic he's not signable at all. It's a possibility but I don't believe it. A guy like Revis probably wants to play in New York for Rex Ryan... if the money is right.

Hardly any player signs a deal mid year, when they are eligible for FA upcoming.

To think that Revis would do it, is far fetched.

Yes, the Jets could sign him during camp. That can happen.

ohSNAP.gif

ohSNAP.gif

"Oh snap" what?

Revis only cares about the money. "If the money's right", of course he'll sign. But we don't have the money he wants! Revis will be open to being traded anywhere he gets paid, and several teams will be interested to compensate us significantly better than a 2014 late-3rd compensatory pick.

Every team has the same salary cap.

Once they clear out the old/bad players, they have more then enough room.

But not every team handed bad contracts to the likes of Mark Sanchez, David Harris, Calvin Pace and Santonio Holmes, which got the GM fired. The new GM will need to clear out some of those bad contracts if Revis is to get his monster deal. Or we can trade Revis AND clear out those bad contracts. I prefer the latter.

Either way there are other teams out there who CAN afford Revis, right now, and are probably willing to give up a 1st round draft pick despite the injury.

Or we can trade Revis AND clear out those bad contracts. I prefer the latter.

and then what's left?

btw Pace will be gone quickly as will Scott and Jason Smith, clearing a ba-gillion dollars in cap space. Sanchez and Holmes likely gone after 2013, that's another 20 mil at least.

and then what's left?

That's for the GM to decide. We need a fresh start, at least personnel-wise. Start clearing things out now so next year, when Idzik brings in a brand new scouting department for the 2014 draft, we can be all in for our franchise QB and a younger roster.

Focusing on holding firm to Revis and some other guys is too short-sighted. We need a team that's built for long-term success.

That's for the GM to decide. We need a fresh start, at least personnel-wise. Start clearing things out now so next year, when Idzik brings in a brand new scouting department for the 2014 draft, we can be all in for our franchise QB and a younger roster.

Focusing on holding firm to Revis and some other guys is too short-sighted. We need a team that's built for long-term success.

im not giving up on the 2013 season in January and I don't believe signing Revis is a short term move.

That's for the GM to decide. We need a fresh start, at least personnel-wise.

1) The first sentence contradicts the second sentence. The FO has a fresh start and there is talent on this roster to not sh*t away a couple of seasons for the hell of it. Almost every contract that you would want to cut on this roster can be gone after this upcoming season or before that. In a big market sports world that is a fresh start.

2) Focusing on trading Revis because cap space and we need to tank is also short sighted. Everyone wants a team that has long term success.

You people sound like Cubs fans. It's eerie.

Plus they'd have to give him this $15M/year deal at a time when he's coming off an ACL injury, when there's a legitimate fear that he's never the same player again. So maybe instead of the greatest at the position, he drops into the top ten. Then what? Well, then the Jets are in the lose-lose position of overpaying for a lesser player, or having the GOAT holding out on them again.

And if you get an injury discount, he's sure to hold out sooner rather than later.

Either way, the best, highest paid player on your team is essentially a non-factor against your #1 rival because of the position he plays. That just doesn't seem like a wise allocation of resources to me.

This is the point really. Good QBs like Brady and Manning and Rodgers and so on will find ways to exploit the mismatches. Revis shuts down a Walker, but Brady throws to one of the TEs or somebody else. You can say it's about finding talent, but when you pay 16 Million for Revis, it leaves little room to pay for good talent.

And if 2013 is really a throw away year and Rex Ryan is gone after this year, why would Revis stick around? Ryan has been one of his biggest supporters and Ryan is a defensive guy who loves/needs CBs. Make a guy like Marty M the HC and suddenly it becomes all about offense and nobody cares about CB the way Ryan does.

This is the point really. Good QBs like Brady and Manning and Rodgers and so on will find ways to exploit the mismatches. Revis shuts down a Walker, but Brady throws to one of the TEs or somebody else. You can say it's about finding talent, but when you pay 16 Million for Revis, it leaves little room to pay for good talent.

This just isn't true. There's plenty of room to sign other talent and a good QB play negates alot of defensive players.

Archived