•  

Photo
- - - - -

Looking at the New York Jets Salary Cap Part (NYJETSCAP)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

If the Jets want nothing to do with him, and it helps him go somewhere that he is wanted, that's no so bad, either.

So yeah, lots of reasons. Starting with $7M in his pocket in March.

but the money's fully guaranteed either way as you point out. So unless Mark wants to leave town there's no reason for him to restructure.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#27 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,858 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

but the money's fully guaranteed either way as you point out. So unless Mark wants to leave town there's no reason for him to restructure.

Did you miss this part:

Because it doesn't hurt him. Instead of waiting to collect his money during the season, he'd get 90% of it up front. And if he's actually going to play QB for the team, freeing up some cap room to add players that might help him out on the field would also be an incentive.

If you had $7M coming to you this year, guaranteed, and had the choice of getting a $7M check in March or having it spread out over 17 weeks from September thru January of next year, which would you choose?

If the Jets make that offer, it's an absolute no brainer for him to take it. Less of a no brainer for the Jets to make it in the first place, as it adds dead money to 2014 if he sucks again.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#28 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you had $7M coming to you this year, guaranteed, and had the choice of getting a $7M check in March or having it spread out over 17 weeks from September thru January of next year, which would you choose?

If the Jets make that offer, it's an absolute no brainer for him to take it. Less of a no brainer for the Jets to make it in the first place, as it adds dead money to 2014 if he sucks again.

Doesn't converting it to bonus make some sort of cap charge for 2014?

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#29 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,858 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Doesn't converting it to bonus make some sort of cap charge for 2014?

Yes.

Again, that's why it's a decision for the Jets to make, but a no brainer for Mark if they make it.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#30 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,853 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'd want the $7 million, then I'd want to "sprain" a "shoulder" for the season, then rehab it in Fiji.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#31 kelly

kelly

is dancing w/ the devil ~

• Members
  • 2,211 posts
  • Locationdunwoody, ga ! !

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Looking at the New York Jets Salary Cap Part 3- The Final Conclusions

Well now it comes time to wrap it up. If you made it this far congratulations that was a massive read. If you skipped to here well you probably made the smart choice! If you want to go back and review here is Part 1 and Part 2, but more likely you just want to know what is the new bottom line? Here is where we now stand:

2013 Cap: $94,669,553
2013 Cash: $109,366,079
2013 Cap space: $29,830,447
2014 Cap: $99,888,929
2014 Cash:$62,774,817

Not bad. We went from $26,159,803 over the salary cap to $29,830,447 under the salary cap while reducing our cash spending by about $22 million. In doing so we reduced our 2014 payroll by nearly 17 million and created nearly 9 million in future cap room. The only players we needed to release to do it are Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Tim Tebow, Eric Smith, and Jason Smith. I’m not missing any of those players. I doubt you are either. Tebow was the only player who was removed from the 2014 roster so its not like we gutted our future to gain cap room in 2013.

We would still be able to release Mark Sanchez either in September or next year and could do the same with Santonio Holmes if he is healthy in 2013 so we don’t have any new guarantees to worry about in 2014. The only true long term commitments are Antonio Cromartie and David Harris who now become part of the roster thru at least 2015. The Jets only have 11 players under contract in 2015 so its no big deal for two players to extend beyond what may be their useful life. Remember all of these numbers include projections for the 2013 NFL Draft so this is money in excess of the rookie class. It’s a lot of spending money.

Does it mean the Jets will want to make all of these moves? No but I think the work here at least dispels the notion that GM’s did not want to touch the job because of the salary cap. If a guy sitting at a computer desk in his office can detail this plan I’d expect a GM candidate to do the same rather than coming out and blasting the organization as lost and in a “cap nightmare”. Salary cap hell is a term used for teams that are in a position where they have to release or trade contributing players because of the salary cap. The Jets were in that place in 2006 where they realistically could not keep certain players because of cap considerations. Cap hell is not a situation where you get rid of dead weight and restructure a few deals and get spending room. And please don’t tell me the Jets cap is keeping them from re-signing Revis. Revis’ asking price is what keeps the Jets and probably 27 other teams from even considering it.

The Jets structured many of these deals in preparation for this and while it will certainly take some elbow grease to get these kind of deals done it is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. Harris’ proposed extension is the only one that really concerns me, even more than asking Holmes to take a paycut in 2013. He is the only person to really wield power over the Jets and have no incentive to change a thing. They may need to meet somewhere in the middle of my suggestion which could be a dealbreaker for me. Even still it leaves the Jets with more than enough cap room to get by. Well in closing I hope if you made it this far you enjoyed the read, typos and all. Feel free to leave any of your comments in any section of the articles, in the forums, email or anywhere else on the web as I’ll likely see it at some point and be able to comment on it. Go Jets!

> http://nyjetscap.com...-cap-part3.html
i ♥ u guys :P.. ...cheers ~ ~

#32 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'd want the $7 million, then I'd want to "sprain" a "shoulder" for the season, then rehab it in Fiji.

The great ones always do

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users