•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I can certainly see why Tangini passed on Flacco

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Next year never comes.

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

For Vernon Gholston...AKA the safer bet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dont Feel I have to wipe out Everyone Tom -- Just my enemies."

#2 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Look at what they have done in Baltimore though. Flacco isn't an all world QB but they have tailored their skill players around what he does well, do you really think the Jets would've done that? They have Torry Smith, Ray Rice, Jacoby Jones and Dennis Pitta, we have Holmes, an old Braylon, Shonn Greene and Chaz Schillins.
Tank for Teddy.

#3 DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Next year never comes.

• Members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I don't doubt that you are correct. I am saying, that we move up to get Sanchez but we could have traded down to pick up Flacco. Flacco was known as a big qb with a big arm and good accuracy. But we passed for who?

Look at what they have done in Baltimore though. Flacco isn't an all world QB but they have tailored their skill players around what he does well, do you really think the Jets would've done that? They have Torry Smith, Ray Rice, Jacoby Jones and Dennis Pitta, we have Holmes, an old Braylon, Shonn Greene and Chaz Schillins.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dont Feel I have to wipe out Everyone Tom -- Just my enemies."

#4 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,324 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I think we are just seeing what sort of potential this kid has... zero turnovers in the entire post-season, and how many TDs? Like 11 or 12?

Goes to show what a good QB with a very good OL and playmakers around him can accomplish.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#5 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,536 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hindsight at its finest.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#6 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

I don't doubt that you are correct. I am saying, that we move up to get Sanchez but we could have traded down to pick up Flacco. Flacco was known as a big qb with a big arm and good accuracy. But we passed for who?

Oh he's LIGHT YEARS a better player than Sanchez is but he's not Aaron Rodgers or Brees either...
Tank for Teddy.

#7 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,742 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think we are just seeing what sort of potential this kid has... zero turnovers in the entire post-season, and how many TDs? Like 11 or 12?

Goes to show what a good QB with a very good OL and playmakers around him can accomplish.

Very true.

It'll be interesting to see how Flacco's career continues to progress. They are about to lose a lot of key free agents, and the keys to the franchise (and the money that goes along with it) will be handed to him. Will he become a Drew Brees-like figure, where the Ravens are successful as long as he is there?

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#8 Green DNA

Green DNA

PSL Hypocrite

• Members
  • 10,568 posts
  • LocationSection 205A

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Flacco was hot garbage until this year, so let's not act like the Jets passed on a sure thing.

#9 The Crusher

The Crusher

More Please!!!

• Moderators
  • 29,662 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Flacco was hot garbage until this year, so let's not act like the Jets passed on a sure thing.

he was an interesting prospect but by no means Andrew Luck type prospect. Him going to the smaller school had people iffy on him. I liked him outta Delaware, but mostly cause I live local and saw him play a few times. His arm was freakish back then. But then again so was Jeff Georges. LOL

#10 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

The moral of the Joe Flacco story is that it's much better to have a QB with elite skills and coach him up/surround him with great talent than trying to coach up a game manager with average skills into a winning QB. DO YOU HEAR THAT PEOPLE WHO WANT THE JETS TO TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH!?!?!?!?!

Edited by unbanmadmike1, 04 February 2013 - 11:28 AM.

Tank for Teddy.

#11 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

The moral of the Joe Flacco story is that it's much better to have a QB with elite skills and coach him up/surround him with great talent than trying to coach up a game manager with average skills into a winning QB. DO YOU HEAR THAT PEOPLE WHO WANT THE JETS TO TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH!?!?!?!?!

This.

Flacco is far from perfect but they built that offense around his strenghts and his ability to push the ball down the field. He gives them a chance to win every game.

Edited by Matt39, 04 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#12 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Very true.

It'll be interesting to see how Flacco's career continues to progress. They are about to lose a lot of key free agents, and the keys to the franchise (and the money that goes along with it) will be handed to him. Will he become a Drew Brees-like figure, where the Ravens are successful as long as he is there?

The Ravens have been a lot more successful over a longer period of time than the Saints have.

Baltimore drafts as well as anyone in the NFL.

#13 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

I must confess, I only liked his size and his arm strength. I thought he got flustered easily and was mistake prone. He has been pristine this payff season.

#14 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,484 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

That's just simply not true. Statistically, his best year was 2010.

And if not for Lee Evans dropping a catchable ball, they probably were in the Super Bowl after he balled out last year in the playoffs.

#15 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,742 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

The Ravens have been a lot more successful over a longer period of time than the Saints have.

Baltimore drafts as well as anyone in the NFL.

This is true, but they're about to devote about 20 % of their salary cap to Flacco. They're going to go from one of the NFL's most veteran squads to one of its youngest within the next 2 seasons. It'll be up to Flacco to guide them through that process, much like he guided them when the Ravens were battling injuries all season.

Edited by Jetsfan80, 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#16 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

This is true, but they're about to devote about 20 % of their salary cap to Flacco. They're going to go from one of the NFL's most veteran squads to one of its youngest within the next 2 seasons. It'll be up to Flacco to guide them through that process, much like he guided them when the Ravens were battling injuries all season.

The are very young on offense though still. Their D is where all the turnover is going to happen.
Tank for Teddy.

#17 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 38,353 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Mangini was a great at drafting and evaluating talent, so I've been told.
Posted Image

#18 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

DId we even bring Flacco in in 2008?

#19 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,770 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

What you saw yesterday were 2 QB's with great arms making some tough throws- there might go the theory of weaker arm QB's leading your team especially with not a great supporting class
Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#20 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

DId we even bring Flacco in in 2008?

Yeah and he was mentioned as linked to the Jets considering that they didn't bring Favre in until training camp had already started. At that point the Jets were choosing Kellen Clemens over Flacco. LOL
Tank for Teddy.

#21 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

the Jets picked at 6, Flacco went at 18. Not exactly passing on him.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#22 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,742 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

The are very young on offense though still. Their D is where all the turnover is going to happen.

Not true. Boldin is probably gone. And guys like Ray Rice and Matt Birk aren't getting any younger.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

#23 Matt39

Matt39

• Members
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Not true. Boldin is probably gone. And guys like Ray Rice and Matt Birk aren't getting any younger.

Difference is they draft Bernard Pierce and we draft Bilal Powell

#24 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Ray Rice is 26...

Also Boldin would be a great pickup for the Jets...

Difference is they draft Bernard Pierce and we draft Bilal Powell

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

It's pretty simple.

Edited by unbanmadmike1, 04 February 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Tank for Teddy.

#25 Jetsfan80

Jetsfan80

Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • 46,742 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

What you saw yesterday were 2 QB's with great arms making some tough throws- there might go the theory of weaker arm QB's leading your team especially with not a great supporting class

You simply have to have the guy who can make all the throws. It doesn't matter how smart the guy is, only a great arm can throw into those tight windows in the NFL.

When you say a guy can "make all the throws", its not just the deep routes. Even Sanchez sometimes can make those because all it takes is a receiver who can make a circus catch from time to time. We're talking about those intermediate throws where you have to throw it into a tight spot. You need a cannon for some of those.

Big-armed QB's don't have to wait for openings. They can create them from time to time. We saw Kaepernick and Flacco both doing that time and again yesterday.

sheesh, I'm a doosh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users