•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 jetfan718

jetfan718

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Height: 6-5. Weight: 274. Arm: 34 5/8. Hand: 10.
Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
Projected Round (2013): Top-20 Pick.

2/1/13: Ansah is this year's version of Chandler Jones or Jason Pierre-Paul; great athletes with little college production who go in the first round of the draft. Like those two edge-rushers, Ansah is a tremendous athlete with a rare combination of size, speed and power.

The Senior Bowl week could be indicative of how Ansah's career will trend in the NFL. He was quiet early in the week while getting his bearings against the higher level of competition. Ansah steadily improved from there to flash his superb athletic skill with the size, power and speed to be a force. By the end of the week, he was dominant.

Ansah can beat offensive tackles with speed or power. Once he develops more pass-rushing moves and the ability to use his hands in combination with his feet, he could be deadly. The senior totaled 62 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, nine passes broken up, a forced fumble and an interception in 2012. He has exploded on the scene after making a grand total of 10 tackles as a junior and sophomore.

I've seen about 3 or 4 mocks that have us taking him with the 9th pick. Should or would we spend a high pick on this guy? Thoughts?

Edited by jetfan718, 04 February 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#2 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm not for drafting need, but how many defensive ends are we going to draft?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#3 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I've seen about 3 or 4 mocks that have us taking him with the 9th pick. Should or would we spend a high pick on this guy? Thoughts?

No.

#4 jetfan718

jetfan718

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm not for drafting need, but how many defensive ends are we going to draft?

He can play multiple spots on defense, including OLB

#5 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Yeah he would be an OLB for Rex. He seems to have the athleticism for that position as well as DE.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#6 khesanh

khesanh

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

If we can't get Mingo, or Moore I would like to trade out of the first round and get more picks we need a lot of bodies and the draft is the way to do it. I would rather trade back and get Sean Porter OLB TX A&M a guy that was productive, played the position and had success in the SEC in a later round and still get our TE, S, RB and OL that we so badly need. This is going to be a 2 to 3 year fix to get this team back to glory. Or TE, S, ILB (Kevin Reddick) to build the team. looking around the league the elite teams have dominant OL and LB corp that is where we need to build.

#7 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

ansah is a tough one to get a read on... he seems like he grow into 3-4 DE more than OLB. He's got 4 career sacks. He doesn't really have pass rush moves. I know someone's gonna take him high, hope it's not the Jets.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#8 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationNorth America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Depending on how the board falls...I'd take him at 9 if available...doubt we can an offensive impact player there...might as well play to our strength...then offense the rest of the way...

Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: A man must have a code. 

#9 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Depending on how the board falls...I'd take him at 9 if available...doubt we can an offensive impact player there...might as well play to our strength...then offense the rest of the way...

I can't imagine a scenario where he is NOT there at 9, or that we CAN'T get an offensive impact player. I mean, outside of QB and LT, we should have our pick of the litter when it comes to impact player on offense.

#10 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I could see Rex falling in love w/ him thinking of a larger Adalius Thomas. He's tempting but if they're gonna take a risk I'd rather Geno.

Warmack or Bernard if u want the safer pick IMO.

But Mingo, Jones, Jordan all come with some risk so why not Ansah who may be the same athlete 30 lbs larger.

Gotta wait for the Combine.

#11 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Also, what could make Ansah a nice pick for Idzik could depend on what the real longevity of Rex's tenure will be. Taking Ansah could just as well help in forming a 43 base with a new HC down the road.

As raw as he is he brings a certain versitlity.

Edited by HessStation, 05 February 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#12 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

But Mingo, Jones, Jordan all come with some risk so why not Ansah who may be the same athlete 30 lbs larger.

1st off those guys produce big plays. but even more than that these guys are pass rushers and Ansah is probably a base end or a 3-4 DE. we don't see alot of 275 lb guys at linebacker. it's hard to take him and project him as an impact player with so little production. Im not saying it's impossible and yes they are gonna look at him but this dude better be ridiculous in shorts. He wasn't good at the Senior Bowl practices, he's got no moves in terms of pass rush. JPP did 16 backflips how many does Ansah have to do?

Edited by bitonti, 05 February 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#13 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Ansah isn't a 3-4 DE. I thought he did well at the practices? I wouldn't know since I didn't watch, but I thought he was generally praised.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#14 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

[/size]

1st off those guys produce big plays. but even more than that these guys are pass rushers and Ansah is probably a base end or a 3-4 DE. we don't see alot of 275 lb guys at linebacker. it's hard to take him and project him as an impact player with so little production. Im not saying it's impossible and yes they are gonna look at him but this dude better be ridiculous in shorts. He wasn't good at the Senior Bowl practices, he's got no moves in terms of pass rush. JPP did 16 backflips how many does Ansah have to do?

More or less you probably want your 34 end around 290-300, your 43 end around 270-280 and your 34OLB around 255-265. Like I said it could depend on his skills at the combine, then, is it better having Ansah lose 5-10 if need be or asking Mingo or Jordan to gain 10-15.

Edited by HessStation, 05 February 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#15 jetfan718

jetfan718

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

IMO there aren't that any Top 10 "impact" offense players that will be available to us when we pick, other than Joeckel and he'll be long gone. Everyone else is a Top 20 or later. I can't see us reaching for a QB or RB with our pick, nor should we. Without a doubt I think we go defense and if not then trade down, but I do like Ansah, if he can drop 10 lbs. with his athleticism and Rex's coaching, I think we have a dominant presence at OLB.

#16 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

More or less you probably want your 34 end around 290-300, your 43 end around 270-280 and your 34OLB around 255-265. Like I said it could depend on his skills at the combine, then, is it better having Ansah lose 5-10 if need be or asking Mingo or Jordan to gain 10-15.

lose 10 pounds and learn how to play football. Whew. It's a tall order for 9 overall. Sounds more like the risk of a 2nd rounder.

just me jarvis jones is the guy I wouldnt pass on. His medicals would have to be shockingly bad.

#17 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

lose 10 pounds and learn how to play football. Whew. It's a tall order for 9 overall. Sounds more like the risk of a 2nd rounder.

just me jarvis jones is the guy I wouldnt pass on. His medicals would have to be shockingly bad.

jones is the guy id definitely pass on. i hear he has spinal stenosis and i know personally friends who couldnt play college ball because of it. heck didnt a manning stop playing football because of it. At 9 im not taking a guy whose career may end at 25.

Edited by jetsjetsjetss, 05 February 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#18 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

jones is the guy id definitely pass on. i hear he has spinal stenosis and i know personally friends who couldnt play college ball because of it. heck didnt a manning stop playing football because of it. At 9 im not taking a guy whose career may end at 25.

supposedly gronk has it as does others

here's an awesome link with the Jets doctors saying it's no issue. Jan 23

http://www.austinchr...pinal-stenosis/

#19 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

ooo thats pretty interesting. I thought it was a career ender sooner rather then later. I guess if he checks out id love to have him then

#20 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

The article lists: Marcus McNeil, Michael Irvin, Chris Samuels, and Sterling Sharpe as being probowlers that ultimately walked away from the game because of this condition. These are all offensive players. It's their job to avoid contact, or in the case of the two LTs, initiate it from close distances.

Perhaps ALL NFL players are at an equal risk for paralysis, but one would think that an aggressive tackling machine like Jarvis Jones is at greater risk, as it's his job to deliver jarring hits. Besides, 6'2, 240 isn't even ideal size for our OLBs, he would have to play the Maybin/Irvin role.

This kid will be fun to watch, but I suspect he'll reallly peak right before his first contract extension...
and then determine that his health is more important than football.

Edited by Greenseed4, 06 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#21 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

The article lists: Marcus McNeil, Michael Irvin, Chris Samuels, and Sterling Sharpe as being probowlers that ultimately walked away from the game because of this condition. These are all offensive players. It's their job to avoid contact, or in the case of the two LTs, initiate it from close distances.

the operative phrase is pro bowler i'd rather have a guy awesome for 3-4 years than a guy who was never awesome at all.

and by the way this isn't what you or I would do. Note that the Jets doctors are quoted in this article. the jets never fail anyone for medical reasons. Drob and vilma were both red flagged on certain other team's boards. The team changes GMs and coaches but it's the same doctors more or less, and jarvis jones is gonna have to be diagnosed with leprosy for him to fail a Jets physical.

#22 Ignatius del Sol

Ignatius del Sol

Practice Squad Player

• Banned
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

The article lists: Marcus McNeil, Michael Irvin, Chris Samuels, and Sterling Sharpe as being probowlers that ultimately walked away from the game because of this condition.

It's not just ultimately that we have to worry about. Stenosis is bad enough. Unlike McNeill, who played basically every game in college, Jones has already had complications. I think after the combine he's going to be off a bunch of boards.

#23 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,528 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I think after the combine he's going to be off a bunch of boards.

yeah maybe... but not the Jets boards. No one ever has a bad enough chart to get off the jets board.

#24 Ignatius del Sol

Ignatius del Sol

Practice Squad Player

• Banned
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

yeah maybe... but not the Jets boards. No one ever has a bad enough chart to get off the jets board.

The dude is a ticking time bomb and he's going to be an old rookie to boot. I don't care if the team doctor is James Woods. Drafting a guy because you hope he can last three years is insane.

#25 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

The dude is a ticking time bomb and he's going to be an old rookie to boot. I don't care if the team doctor is James Woods. Drafting a guy because you hope he can last three years is insane.

I don't mind that he's an "old" rookie. The issue here is that he is a high risk/high reward player. Drafting those players has gotten us in the position we are in. If we HIT, great. We can't afford to MISS.

Edited by Greenseed4, 06 February 2013 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users