Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah

jetfan718

At #9 the Jets need a guy who can step in and make an impact right away.  They took basically two projects in the first tow rounds last season and are still waiting on development from both.  They need a guy who can step in and make an immediate impact.  NOt this guy.

Our team lacks depth in pretty much all facets of the game, we have no QB, a lame duck head coach, but we're all of a sudden in a win-now mode??  With the 9th overall pick, you select the best player and if one of these guys might be the best player in a year or two from now, then you take him.  We're not championship contenders so the idea that we have to have someone who you can plug and play every down is silly, you take the player you think will develop into the best player.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our team lacks depth in pretty much all facets of the game, we have no QB, a lame duck head coach, but we're all of a sudden in a win-now mode??  With the 9th overall pick, you select the best player and if one of these guys might be the best player in a year or two from now, then you take him.  We're not championship contenders so the idea that we have to have someone who you can plug and play every down is silly, you take the player you think will develop into the best player.

Contradict yourself much? The team lacks depth so lets take someone to develop behind someone else we don't even have? That doesn't make any sense.  I agree this is no championship contender, but Rex is going to be trying to win now.  He doesn't have the luxury not to.

Contradict yourself much? The team lacks depth so lets take someone to develop behind someone else we don't even have? That doesn't make any sense.  I agree this is no championship contender, but Rex is going to be trying to win now.  He doesn't have the luxury not to.

That's not contradicting myself in the slightest, it was merely explaining how dire our situation is that there's no reason to skip over the better prospect for an inferior player because he's more NFL-ready.  Our lack of depth at OG, Safety, WR, TE has no bearing on OLB, so I'm not exactly sure how that strawman really holds up.  Yes, we need OLB depth as well, maybe this allows our guy to be thrown into the fire, or maybe we keep guys like Muaga/Mc in there and rotate Ziggy or whomever in on passing situations like Aldon Smith.  

What does Rex's winning now mode have anything to do with the selection that Idzik and his staff makes??  Our FO is not going to select an inferior prospect that will be worse for the franchise in the long-run, because our lame-duck head coach needs an immediate every-down player.

Teams should ALWAYS be in win now mode. If they think Ansah is the best guy for winning games then he should be the pick.

Obviously teams are always in win-now mode, but you're painting too black and white of a picture.  Of course they're going to pick the guy who's going to help them win games this coming season, but disregarding their potential and future impact is extremely short-sighted.  I'd take a situational pass-rusher in Jordan/Ansah in year one with the potential for dominating in year two (assuming that's what our FO feels) as opposed to selecting a guy who'll be an every down Pace for his entire career.  You do what's best for your franchise overall, not be so obtuse and just act like every season is in a vacuum.  

That's not contradicting myself in the slightest, it was merely explaining how dire our situation is that there's no reason to skip over the better prospect for an inferior player because he's more NFL-ready. Our lack of depth at OG, Safety, WR, TE has no bearing on OLB, so I'm not exactly sure how that strawman really holds up. Yes, we need OLB depth as well, maybe this allows our guy to be thrown into the fire, or maybe we keep guys like Muaga/Mc in there and rotate Ziggy or whomever in on passing situations like Aldon Smith.

What does Rex's winning now mode have anything to do with the selection that Idzik and his staff makes?? Our FO is not going to select an inferior prospect that will be worse for the franchise in the long-run, because our lame-duck head coach needs an immediate every-down player.

So Warmack would be an inferior prospect in this situation? I'm not sure what your point is here. And Rex will most assuredly have a say on draft day, as he always has.

So Warmack would be an inferior prospect in this situation? I'm not sure what your point is here. And Rex will most assuredly have a say on draft day, as he always has.

Total strawman.  Warmack is obviously not an inferior prospect as he's one of, if not the most highly touted prospects in this draft, but since being the best at his position offers very minimal difference above the league-average OG compared to the difference between a top-flight OLB and a league-average one, you could say his selection would be inferior.  So if that's the case, you don't pass over the superior selection for the inferior selection just because he can play now, but may not give the best returns over the course of his career.  I'm not saying Ansah or Jordan is the right selection, but you don't pass over the guy who can benefit your franchise greater in the long run, just because he's not a plug and play guy in his first year.  

Total strawman.  Warmack is obviously not an inferior prospect as he's one of, if not the most highly touted prospects in this draft, but since being the best at his position offers very minimal difference above the league-average OG compared to the difference between a top-flight OLB and a league-average one, you could say his selection would be inferior.  So if that's the case, you don't pass over the superior selection for the inferior selection just because he can play now, but may not give the best returns over the course of his career.  I'm not saying Ansah or Jordan is the right selection, but you don't pass over the guy who can benefit your franchise greater in the long run, just because he's not a plug and play guy in his first year.  

You don't take Jordan or Ansah at nine because neither one is worth it, especially with Jordan's injury.  The Jets need players that can play multiple downs and they need them now.  They took two developmental guys last season.  Need to draft guys who can step in right away.  Guys like Brick, Mangold, Revis, etc are what they should be looking at.  Not Coples, Hill, etc.

You don't take Jordan or Ansah at nine because neither one is worth it, especially with Jordan's injury.  The Jets need players that can play multiple downs and they need them now.  They took two developmental guys last season.  Need to draft guys who can step in right away.  Guys like Brick, Mangold, Revis, etc are what they should be looking at.  Not Coples, Hill, etc.

It's not my contention to take Ziggy or Jordan, as I'm not an NFL scout and don't know how they will produce, although if they can produce like Aldon Smith, you 100% take them there.  My point was that if our FO thinks either of those guys or any of the other pass-rushers, be it Mingo, Moore or Werner are going to be the best player over the course of a career even if they are limited to situational pass-rushing their first year, that's the selection you make, not someone who will provide slightly more return in the short term, but much less of a return over the course of a career.  

And of course we want guys that can step in and also be all-pros, no one is arguing against that.  But the notion that if they can't produce in year one, even if they will be the player over the course of their carer, we should pass on them is quite short-sited. 

I see no need to take a guy who can play right now. We already know it's shaping up to be a rough season, why take someone who's better year one than a guy who would make more of an impact for the franchise long-term? The Jets also need top level talent on this team, to do that they need to roll the dice from time to time.

And who do you take at nine then, Warmack? David DeCastro was supposedly the best guard in years, got the same does he go top 10 talk last year and ended up going in the twenties. I know Warmack's good, but guards just don't go that high. Maybe this year will be the exception, but history says Warmack going top ten won't happen. Think he'll also get pushed down because Cooper is really, really good too.

Ansah looking like a chiseled beast at the combine. 

And he just beasted two 40s in the 4.6.  Everyone knew he was going to time fast, as he was a track guy, but at 270 lbs, that's unofficially a tenth faster than JPP and Aldon Smith.  Dion Jordan tore it up as well, with an insane 10 yard split, although he is a solid 20 lbs lighter.  I really think those two are the way to go and before the workout warrior nonsense from anyone, if ya just watch Ansah in the Senior Bowl game, you'll see he's a gamer.

And he just beasted two 40s in the 4.6.  Everyone knew he was going to time fast, as he was a track guy, but at 270 lbs, that's unofficially a tenth faster than JPP and Aldon Smith.  Dion Jordan tore it up as well, with an insane 10 yard split, although he is a solid 20 lbs lighter.  I really think those two are the way to go and before the workout warrior nonsense from anyone, if ya just watch Ansah in the Senior Bowl game, you'll see he's a gamer.

Vernon Gholston beasted out at the combine if I remember correctly and looked pretty good on the field in college too.

I'd rather have Jordan of the two, and that's WITH a shoulder injury.  I'd even rather Mingo than Ansah.

Vernon Gholston beasted out at the combine if I remember correctly and looked pretty good on the field in college too.

I'd rather have Jordan of the two, and that's WITH a shoulder injury.  I'd even rather Mingo than Ansah.

I'd take either of them.  There's bust potential for sure but we haven't had an athlete like either of them since Abraham.  Mayock loves Jordan fwiw.

Gholston did beast out the combine, but there are many reports saying how Rex and others knew he wasn't a fluid athlete, shied from contact and wouldn't have selected him anywhere near the top 10.  That's a tough pick to criticize as he had pretty elite college production and measurables  but that's when you hope your scouting dept. can delineate between a fluid athlete or not.

I think Jordan can be a special player as well, provided he can keep the weight on, because rumors of him playing around 225 is not what I like to hear. I'm not sure what makes you prefer Jordan to Ansah as they both are quite new to their position and played against similar competition.  I'd be happy with both, I'm just curious to see what your reasons are.  

Ansah ran a couple hundredths slower, but did it while naturally carrying 25+ lbs and considering he played basketball and ran track for BYU, he's an extremely fluid athlete.  

Did Moore really run a 4.9 w 12 reps??? Oouch

That 40 time is roughly what Suggs ran, but I forget the rest of his numbers. Did broad jump and etc happen yet? Did Mingo run?

Secondary DE/OLB prospect Jamie Collins put up an 11'7" broad jump.

Moore ran poorly as I suspected, and is not working out well from what I'm reading. That said, I haven't seen any numbers.

Moore posting only 12 reps on the bench speaks to not only his strength or lack there of, but of his work ethic.  Any elite athlete who weighs over 230+ should be putting up well over 12 reps, there's no excuse for that.  Which lends credence to the reports that Moore is tanking interviews and that his off the field life is "a mess."  

Another 34 DE to look at, not that we need another one, but Margus Hunt; pretty sure the dude put up a 40 in the 4.6 range and weighed in at 280+ lbs or something insane like that.  

Mingo beasted the 40 as expected and I know I may be drinking the koolaide, but Ansah and Jordan are slowly becoming my favorites.  I just prefer Ansah, because he displays instincts, while still being knew to the game and we don't have to worry about his athleticism or explosiveness being shot if he adds weight as he carries 270 extremely naturally.  

Gholston did beast out the combine, but there are many reports saying how Rex and others knew he wasn't a fluid athlete, shied from contact and wouldn't have selected him anywhere near the top 10.  That's a tough pick to criticize as he had pretty elite college production and measurables  but that's when you hope your scouting dept. can delineate between a fluid athlete or not.

I think Jordan can be a special player as well, provided he can keep the weight on, because rumors of him playing around 225 is not what I like to hear. I'm not sure what makes you prefer Jordan to Ansah as they both are quite new to their position and played against similar competition.  I'd be happy with both, I'm just curious to see what your reasons are.  

Ansah ran a couple hundredths slower, but did it while naturally carrying 25+ lbs and considering he played basketball and ran track for BYU, he's an extremely fluid athlete.  

I like that Jordan can cover well in space in the passing game.  That's key in a league where tight ends are becoming key pieces in the offensive gameplans.

I really can't get over how similar the knocks on Moore are to Suggs. Off the field life might suck...bad 40...Suggs only put up 19 reps with a 33 inch vertical...Other similarities include a ton of production in college (though Suggs was more productive with 30+ sacks including 24 in a season)...youngest among the top prospects...similar size (Moore a hair taller while Suggs was a few pounds heavier).

Iunno, I still think it would be a gift if he fell to 9, though I am less sold than before. Hopefully he can improve for his Pro Day.

Archived