Jets Draft Prospect TE – Kelce

JetNation

The Jets are implementing Marty Mornhinweg’s new offense and the team will need to restock with players who fit his system.  This past season the tight end position was not as productive as it had been over the last several years.  Free agent TE Dustin Keller, 6’2”, 250, known more for his pass catching ability then his blocking skills struggled to see the field with injuries and is unlikely to be resigned.  With the team being in poor financial shape obtaining a veteran will be difficult so the best place to find a potential starter is in this year’s upcoming draft.

University of Cincinnati redshirt senior tight end Travis Kelce, 6’6”, 260, had a breakout season for the Bearcats hauling in 45 passes for 722 yards, 8 touchdowns with a 16.0 yards-pre-catch average.  Travis has some NFL bloodlines as his brother Jason plays center for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Kelce’s versatility is what makes him the perfect fit for the Jets new offense.  He can play a variety of roles as he’s a good blocker, even in space, can be a slot receiver as well as play tight to the line.  He has good speed for a big man, soft hands, can catch passes in tight windows and offers a safety outlet for the quarterback.

Here are some highlights of Kelce during the 2012 Belk Bowl:

Notice the yards after the catch, an important aspect to Mornhinweg’s offense, and the ability to split defenders while still out running them.  Drawing defenders, especially the safeties, is an important factor to the success of the offense and a big target will certainly do that potentially opening up plays down field to the wide-outs.

One red flag is Kelce was suspended for the entire 2010 season by Bearcats head coach Butch Jones for violations of team rules.  Another issue is Kelce being a “one hit wonder” as the 2012 season provided his only significant production during his colligate career.

Kelce has all the physical tools to be a prime fit for Mornhinweg’s offense and is likely to be a mid-round draft choice.  The Jets would be wise to take a good look at Kelce as he has unlimited potential to flourish in the Jets new offense.

We don't actually have Keller. We should look into resigning him IMO, but as of the start of the 2013 league year he is no more a Jet than Tony Gonzalez. I don't know too much about Kelce, but I think he is going to go higher than I'd want to spend on a TE, unless they are priced out on Keller or trade down to stockpile some picks. That highlight reel was all of 2 plays long, but I remember in Keller's college highlights he looked like a running back busting people's ankles and running them over. Now he tends to trip and fall.

I remember in Keller's college highlights he looked like a running back busting people's ankles and running them over. Now he tends to trip and fall.

Exactly. I remember watching Keller's highlight reel and looking for the tight end making the block for number 28. Turns out he WAS number 28.

PS I just watched it again and now I'm depressed.

I don't know why Keller gets a pass. He is a bust. If coming up short of the first down when he is on the field is important in your TE skill set, then Keller is your man. His consistent inability to stay on the field is just gravy. Don't confuse Sanchez's inability to complete anything other than the check-down for Keller being a "clutch" or productive receiver. Top it off with the fact that he cannot block worth a $hit. Another work out warrior who sucks in the real world.

I don't know why Keller gets a pass. He is a bust. If coming up short of the first down when he is on the field is important in your TE skill set, then Keller is your man. His consistent inability to stay on the field is just gravy. Don't confuse Sanchez's inability to complete anything other than the check-down for Keller being a "clutch" or productive receiver. Top it off with the fact that he cannot block worth a $hit. Another work out warrior who sucks in the real world.

You have to define the word bust before you get there. IMO he isn't even approaching a bust and I would happily argue that point all day. There is nothing new about that because if I were bored enough I would argue the sky was red all day. I can understand calling the guy a disappointment, but not a bust. He's started since day 1 and put up decent to good numbers. Looked like he'd be a real player the one year he had a QB and deserves the same pass as our other targets (whatever you determine that to be) for having Sanchez at QB. The offense suffered greatly when he went down. He has not been as good as we'd hoped, but he was a late first.

TE’s always have some blocking role in any offense scheme on running plays.

With that said, in the WCO, the TE is primarily a receiver. Of course on running plays he still blocks, but the short passing to running ratio is lopsided in favor of the pass

The blocking skills of RB’s becomes more important as they more often then not have blitz responsibility while the TE is in a short passing route.

It is certainly a plus if a TE can block but their real role is to catch and run.

Keller is more valuable in the Jets new offense then he was in the ground and pound

If another team offers Keller a mega contract, he’s gone. If his value is reduced because of his injury and low production last year, IMO the Jets would be well advised to resign him

Kelce was drafted late 1st in the rotoworld mock draft and up until then I hadn't really heard of him. That would be too high for us to draft, but from that clip (albiet only two plays long) it looks like he can really move. Not bad for a guy with Gronklike size.

nice stats too

What offensive system suggests a TE should be lacking either one of these qualities?

Whatever one we have been running for the past 5 years. But you are right, none other that I can recall. I was just taking issue with the claim that Keller was ideal. I do not care for Keller. I think he is a dum dum who gets lost during games.

Kelce and Escobar reduce the want for Eifert and Ertz. It's good to see a couple more guys with prototypical size and upside at the TE position because the Jets need at least one guy there. If Keller is brought back then a 6'6' 260 guy to compliment him would be ideal.

Whatever one we have been running for the past 5 years. But you are right, none other that I can recall. I was just taking issue with the claim that Keller was ideal. I do not care for Keller. I think he is a dum dum who gets lost during games.

Call me crazy. I just don't consider running up the gut as often as possible, followed by dropping the league's worst QB back in what are then must-pass situations, to be an offensive scheme per se.

You're not going to get any arguments out of me that Keller hasn't lived up to his billing, no matter how many yards he racked up. I was always of the opinion that blocking is a mindset. Takes talent and will to be elite, but it takes attitude and will and practice to be good (or good enough). And he sucks at blocking. His straightaway speed, which is very good for a TE, has been of only so much value.

You have to define the word bust before you get there. IMO he isn't even approaching a bust and I would happily argue that point all day. There is nothing new about that because if I were bored enough I would argue the sky was red all day. I can understand calling the guy a disappointment, but not a bust. He's started since day 1 and put up decent to good numbers. Looked like he'd be a real player the one year he had a QB and deserves the same pass as our other targets (whatever you determine that to be) for having Sanchez at QB. The offense suffered greatly when he went down. He has not been as good as we'd hoped, but he was a late first.

There are different levels of bustism. While he may not be a bust of Gholstonesque proportions, the disparity between all the hype since he was drafted (i.e. Keller being a top, difference making TE) and his actual performance definitely qualifies him as a card carrying bust. With all the time he's missed, his nickname should be Charmin. His numbers, mediocre as they may be, are largely the result of an inept QB who needs to check down to his TE on just about every play. In a word, BUSTAROONI relative to the hype. An average, one-dimensional TE. And, FWIW, the sky is red. So, you got that part right.

The talking heads hyped the holy crap out of his so-called athleticism.

The same ones that said Kellen Clemens was the most NFL ready QB in the 2006 draft? They hype every single player. That is like complaining about Francessa. It's just for ratings. Nobody believes it. I haven't done any PFF review, but I think that Keller's production has been as expected for his draft position.

The same ones that said Kellen Clemens was the most NFL ready QB in the 2006 draft? They hype every single player. That is like complaining about Francessa. It's just for ratings. Nobody believes it. I haven't done any PFF review, but I think that Keller's production has been as expected for his draft position.

I dunno. Keller doesn't play or produce at a first round level. He's a JAG. Not an outright bust, but a forgettable draft pick nonetheless. I'm sure Tannenbaum is leaving Keller's name off the ol' resume these days.

I dunno. Keller doesn't play or produce at a first round level. He's a JAG. Not an outright bust, but a forgettable draft pick nonetheless. I'm sure Tannenbaum is leaving Keller's name off the ol' resume these days.

QFT. Plus, he's a soft boy.

Archived