is Landry's price being overrated?

bitonti

right now, with a month before free agency, everyone pretty much believes the Jets can't afford Leron Landry.

in a different year, that might be true

in this market, he's probably not in the top 5 safeties. That's a fair statement.

rotoworld has him at 10th

Jairus Byrd

Dashon Goldson

Ed Reed

Ronde Barber

William Moore

Louis Delmas

Chris Clemons

Glover Quin

Kenny Phillips

LaRon Landry

just before

Pat Chung

Yeremiah Bell

just to be clear, I don't think he's that low. I'm not agreeing 100% with roto's list. He's a great safety on all of our lists... and the Jets would likely franchise him if they could. but he's injury prone and plays aggressively.

and it's an awesome draft year for safety. There's at least 10 interesting names alot of possible starters (if you care, go look at any draft site) and this is turning into a bad supply/demand situation for Landry.

Could the right team overpay for him absolutely. But it's possible he's lost in the shuffle and the Jets (Rex) might actually want him the most. It will be very interesting to see if he signs 1st day of free agency or how long exactly he's on the market. maybe this is too hopeful but we might be overrating this player based on the football we all watch.

Idzik has to decide how much to gamble on Landry. It's awesome he stayed healthy this year, but if you give him a 4 year/$37 mil deal, you run a good chance he's only healthy for half of it.

It's the NFL. Front load and make him easy to cut after two maybe three years.

As solid as Landry was last season, I'll bet he's going to fall apart next season. Odds are even more in my favor if he re-signs with the Jets. If the talent and salary cap situation were different, he'd be worth the risk -- just not to the Jets in the wonderful here and now.

The good thing is that one of those FAs' prices will be overrated. At one point even during the 2011 season there were people who thought Landry would come so cheap (1/4). "Cheap" being relative to the NFL rather than cheap in life. Philips is a decent candidate for that kind of situation.

The good thing is that one of those FAs' prices will be overrated. At one point even during the 2011 season there were people who thought Landry would come so cheap (1/4). "Cheap" being relative to the NFL rather than cheap in life. Philips is a decent candidate for that kind of situation.

Yep, Phillips is a decent candidate for the guy you sign cheap for a short term deal and spend the season praying that he doesn't get hurt. He's basically in the same boat as Landry was last year. Phillips spent almost the entire season with a recurring right MCL problem after everybody worried he wouldn't make a comeback from microfracture surgery on his left knee a couple of years ago.

PROS of re-signing Landry:

1) There aren't exactly a lot of safeties out there like Landry right now for us to get. Maybe the draft will supply one, but its always a gamble. We haven't have an enforcer at that position in a long time, maybe ever, so biting the bullet within reason seems to be a smart decision.

2) Rex is back this season, and therefore we know how important it is to have a hard-hitting safety in the lineup. This is a guy who used Eric Smith as a starter for a full season even when the guy falls down on constantly damn near every other play. We need a thumper, and Landry is the guy.

CONS:

1) He's in his prime and coming off a Pro Bowl season (perhaps undeservedly, but he was there nonetheless and WILL use it as a bargaining chip), has an injury history, and will be pricy no matter WHERE he ranks among the NFL's safeties. No one has or will give the Jets a Hometown Discount, especially coming off a 6-10 season. Landry is going to strike while the iron is hot AND before he gets hurt again.

2) Rex may be gone after the 2013 season, so why overspend at a luxury position when the next HC might prefer safeties who are better in coverage than they are at hitting people over the middle and stopping the run?

The Call: Sadly, we should let him go. We need to be thinking longterm on this. Landry may be someone we will sorely miss in 2013, but we're thinking about 2014 and beyond. Let him walk, sign his big deal elsewhere, and take the compensatory pick in 2014. Attempt to find your "poor man's Landry" through the draft or free agency.

1) There aren't exactly a lot of safeties out there like Landry right now for us to get. Maybe the draft will supply one, but its always a gamble. We haven't have an enforcer at that position in a long time, maybe ever, so biting the bullet within reason seems to be a smart decision.

2) Rex is back this season, and therefore we know how important it is to have a hard-hitting safety in the lineup. This is a guy who used Eric Smith as a starter for a full season even when the guy falls down on constantly damn near every other play. We need a thumper, and Landry is the guy.

CONS:

1) He's in his prime and coming off a Pro Bowl season (perhaps undeservedly, but he was there nonetheless and WILL use it as a bargaining chip), has an injury history, and will be pricy no matter WHERE he ranks among the NFL's safeties. No one has or will give the Jets a Hometown Discount, especially coming off a 6-10 season. Landry is going to strike while the iron is hot AND before he gets hurt again.

2) Rex may be gone after the 2013 season, so why overspend at a luxury position when the next HC might prefer safeties who are better in coverage than they are at hitting people over the middle and stopping the run?

The Call: Sadly, we should let him go. We need to be thinking longterm on this. Landry may be someone we will sorely miss in 2013, but we're thinking about 2014 and beyond. Let him walk, sign his big deal elsewhere, and take the compensatory pick in 2014. Attempt to find your "poor man's Landry" through the draft or free agency.

I agree with your reasoning, but every year there are guys that think like this that slip through the cracks and sign cheap. Remember when we had similar things written about Braylon Edwards? He ended up signing for a cup of coffee. It may not be likely that Landy's cheap, but it is possible and we should at least negotiate with him. In the end I feel you'll probably be right, but they should be in talks with a bunch of these guys.

I agree with your reasoning, but every year there are guys that think like this that slip through the cracks and sign cheap. Remember when we had similar things written about Braylon Edwards? He ended up signing for a cup of coffee. It may not be likely that Landy's cheap, but it is possible and we should at least negotiate with him. In the end I feel you'll probably be right, but they should be in talks with a bunch of these guys.

Edwards caught like 3 passes after he signed elsewhere. Landry, if healthy, can be a dominant safety. I'd say the scenarios are quite different.

CONS:

One of the other Cons is that right now the NFL is trying to drive DB’s and LB’s like Landry out of the game.

Expect Landry to be hit with a shower of orange flags next year

One of the other Cons is that right now the NFL is trying to drive DB’s and LB’s like Landry out of the game.

Expect Landry to be hit with a shower of orange flags next year

Good point. Rex is still trying to play by the old rules and its not going to work so well. We'll need to go after the coverage guys, not the hitters, soon enough.

Landry does a great job of hitting the body not the head. He didn't get _that_ many PF calls this year. Maybe 1 or 2?

I don’t know how many, but he got quite a few early in the season, then it seemed to lighten up.

Head shots or not, I’m willing to bet he gets hit with a lot of flags on the “defenseless” receiver rule next season

Edwards caught like 3 passes after he signed elsewhere. Landry, if healthy, can be a dominant safety. I'd say the scenarios are quite different.

That is completely irrelevant. The fact that Edwards sucked after he signed elsewhere has nothing to do with the chatter in February when people were talking about giving him a 4 or 5 year deal. That is the stage we are at with Landry now.

my question is Landry that guy? Again we all assume he's gonna get huge money. But from whom? and how much? he's not the top safety available this year...

Don't include me in any hysterical reaction.

Byrd's a beast. I wish the Jets could steal him since the Bills picked LeVitre.

The only real con to signing Landry is the injuries. I don't believe in the mythical cover safety and Landry dropped multiple INTs that would complete his excellent games.

Plus the whole suit to work out line was the best thing said by a player in the league all year.

That is completely irrelevant. The fact that Edwards sucked after he signed elsewhere has nothing to do with the chatter in February when people were talking about giving him a 4 or 5 year deal. That is the stage we are at with Landry now.

And I contend that Landry's value at this moment is far higher than Braylon's was at the time we opted to sign Holmes to an extension. While we were here on JN discussing Edwards' potential deal, there was no evidence to suggest the Jets actually ever seriously considered giving him a big deal. Edwards was an aging drunkard coming off a decent season. Landry is in his prime coming off a Pro Bowl season. Not similar scenarios at all.

And I contend that Landry's value at this moment is far higher than Braylon's was at the time we opted to sign Holmes to an extension. While we were here on JN discussing Edwards' potential deal, there was no evidence to suggest the Jets actually ever seriously considered giving him a big deal. Edwards was an aging drunkard coming off a decent season. Landry is in his prime coming off a Pro Bowl season. Not similar scenarios at all.

Your contention is also irrelevant. I don't disagree that Landry is worth more than Braylon. I did not say they would have the same value. I did not say that they were comparable players. I merely said that Landry, like Edwards may well end up costing considerably less than we think.

Your contention is also irrelevant. I don't disagree that Landry is worth more than Braylon. I did not say they would have the same value. I did not say that they were comparable players. I merely said that Landry, like Edwards may well end up costing considerably less than we think.

Maybe for another team. lol.

Maybe. The main reason that I brought up Edwards was that if we knew he'd be signing @ 1 year/$1M we'd pretty much all have signed him. You can't write the guy off until he signs elsewhere unless you just don't like him.

WE might have but the Jets wouldn't have. We had multiple opportunities to bring back Braylon, but waited until we had multiple injuries at the position before doing so.

Landry is a free agent priority, and will have multiple suitors. I just don't see him signing for a dime less than market value to play for us longterm. He has to know in the back of his mind that, with his injury history, this is his one chance to get a big payday.

right now, with a month before free agency, everyone pretty much believes the Jets can't afford Leron Landry.

in a different year, that might be true

in this market, he's probably not in the top 5 safeties. That's a fair statement.

rotoworld has him at 10th

Jairus Byrd

Dashon Goldson

Ed Reed

Ronde Barber

William Moore

Louis Delmas

Chris Clemons

Glover Quin

Kenny Phillips

LaRon Landry

just before

Pat Chung

Yeremiah Bell

just to be clear, I don't think he's that low. I'm not agreeing 100% with roto's list. He's a great safety on all of our lists... and the Jets would likely franchise him if they could. but he's injury prone and plays aggressively.

and it's an awesome draft year for safety. There's at least 10 interesting names alot of possible starters (if you care, go look at any draft site) and this is turning into a bad supply/demand situation for Landry.

Could the right team overpay for him absolutely. But it's possible he's lost in the shuffle and the Jets (Rex) might actually want him the most. It will be very interesting to see if he signs 1st day of free agency or how long exactly he's on the market. maybe this is too hopeful but we might be overrating this player based on the football we all watch.

LOL if any name after Reed is better than Landry. Add in age to that factor too.

LOL if any name after Reed is better than Landry. Add in age to that factor too.

so that puts him at 4th best on the FA market, coming off a Pro Bowl. Usually guys making a Pro Bowl and hitting the market are the best or second. It's not an ideal situation if your Landry's agent.

Chung right after Landry is a joke.

Chung got benched in 2012 and has basically been a bust from day 1. Chung is good for 1 big hit per game and then disappears usually because he just got hurt.

so that puts him at 4th best on the FA market, coming off a Pro Bowl. Usually guys making a Pro Bowl and hitting the market are the best or second. It's not an ideal situation if your Landry's agent.

it's not completely insane to think he could be ranked 1 or 2 on certain boards imo. Depending on the type of player a team is looking for. If you can feel confident he's healthy, he straight up had as good a year as an other safety, bigger hitter than Byrd, same age a Goldson.

Archived