WRs (draft)

Greenseed4

One of our esteemed posters has us mocked as taking Keneen Allen at #9. At first glance this rubbed me the wrong way, being as we took Hill so early last year and lost Holmes to injury...meaning we could feasibly return to 2013 with Holmes, Hill, Kerley and a veteran Braylon Edwards. With our other pressing needs, drafting a WR seems almost redundant.

However, if we were to trade down in the first (regain an additional 2nd or 3rd)... and be in the position to nab this year's BEST WR, what would that look like?

Well I looked...This is where I'm at.

Keenan Allen: Good size, Great hands, Great routes; not afraid to pass the middle; TOUGH; BUT HE HAS injury concerns

Coradelle Patterson: Great size, Great speed, Great open-field running; YAC MONSTER; BUT HE'S A body catcher

I don't think Allen or Paterson are good enough to be taken at 9 but they will both be gone by the time we pick in round 2... Austin is an awesome talent, our luck he ends up on NE to replace Welker and kills us for 10 years.

Sure, sure, sure... I agree on the not at 9 sentiment. Lets say we were to trade back, recoup some picks. If you were playing GM and have determined that WR was the BAP, who's the pick?

I don't think Allen or Paterson are good enough to be taken at 9

these guys have pathways to get to top 10. Patterson could run a legit 4.3 and Allen is Cal's all time receiving leader. Keenan Allen especially is suffering from east coast bias. If this dude played at Rutgers instead of Cal we'd all know how good he is.

and keep in mind Allen is Cal's leading receiver after only 3 years (declared junior), and 3 games missed for injury (34 total). Desean Jackson, Lavelle Hawkins, Marvin Jones all went to Cal. Wesley Walker went to Cal.

I like Allen because of his recieving ability; he's a natural hands catcher who runs great routes, and is tough.

His bloated stats as a result of having his brother throw him (and only him) the ball, mean little to me.

I like Allen because of his recieving ability; he's a natural hands catcher who runs great routes, and is tough.

His bloated stats as a result of having his brother throw him (and only him) the ball, mean little to me.

His ability to be productive despite defenses focusing on him and having a quarterback who could barely throw the ball (even if he was his brother) is impressive though. Shows he can have success in less than ideal circumstances, which is exactly what the Jets have to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh. He does freaky stuff...he'll be a playmaker in the league

for a few games, until he gets broken in 2.  everybody is fast in the NFL.  he's a guy you take if you are 1 player away, and can spend the pick on a guy who gets 5 touches a game including kick returns

jets need a big WR not a smurf

I was most impressed with Marcus Wheaton, Deandre Hopkins, Patton and Robert Woods. They all looked great in drills. 

Yeah 40 time-wise I think the most disappointing was Woods, who's a smaller guy as is, but he was one of the best during drills it seems. I think Deandre Hopkins is going to be a perfect #2 type guy for somebody. 

for a few games, until he gets broken in 2.  everybody is fast in the NFL.  he's a guy you take if you are 1 player away, and can spend the pick on a guy who gets 5 touches a game including kick returns

jets need a big WR not a smurf

They had tall WR's this season and they all sucked.  lol  Just give me a guy who can catch and get some yac.

I don't think they touch a WR until probably the 3rd or 4th round, if not later.

Agreed.  The difference between your top 3 prospects and 7-12 is minimal.  Wait on WR's this season.  You can find a 4th or 5th rounder that will have a season just as good as the top 3 taken.

Archived