•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vinny T.....freak of nature

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 JOJOTOWNSELL

JOJOTOWNSELL

Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

http://deadspin.com/...averde-throw-it

Trying to figure out who is responsible for throwing a football the farthest distance in history is not an easy task. It takes one on a winding journey through message boards and YouTube clips and ends, disappointingly, at Vinny Testaverde. In this week's excerpt from Slate's Hang Up and Listen podcast, Josh Levin discovers that the former Jets quarterback may very well be strongest-armed passer in NFL history.
stick to flippin hot dogs and burgers on every other sunday - BP 12/20/2010

#2 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Distance does not equate to having the strongest arm. Ball speed=strongest arm. Elway and Cutler probably have the strongest arms I've ever witnessed, with Rodgers and (maybe) Vick right behind them.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#3 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Distance does not equate to having the strongest arm. Ball speed=strongest arm. Elway and Cutler probably have the strongest arms I've ever witnessed, with Rodgers and (maybe) Vick right behind them.

i think i disagree with this. i'm not a physics expert but wouldn't it be true that to propel an object of a certain weight a certain distance it takes a certain amount of force, where an increase of force equates to an increase in distance traveled? i know there are variables such as friction, trajectory etc.....but it just makes sense that a guy with a stronger arm can put more force on the ball and therefore it will travel further.

the more "speed" on a ball would mean that it takes gravity and friction a longer time to exert enough force on the ball to bring it back down to the ground

Edited by neckdemon, 09 February 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#4 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Jeff George

#5 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

i think i disagree with this. i'm not a physics expert but wouldn't it be true that to propel an object of a certain weight a certain distance it takes a certain amount of force, where an increase of force equates to an increase in distance traveled? i know there are variables such as friction, trajectory etc.....but it just makes sense that a guy with a stronger arm can put more force on the ball and therefore it will travel further.

the more "speed" on a ball would mean that it takes gravity and friction a longer time to exert enough force on the ball to bring it back down to the ground

j

Posted Image
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#6 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Jeff George

Good name. What a mess he was.

#7 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

no jet could be the best at anything !!! screw this crap !!!!
“I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.”

#8 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

no jet could be the best at anything !!! screw this crap !!!!

Did you know Chad Pennington's real first name is James? Jim Pennington.

#9 Kleckineau

Kleckineau

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Vinny certainly had a rifle arm.
This is a debate that can never really be settled but I would go with Bert Jones.
"20 years ago, we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don’t let Kevin Bacon die.” Bill Murray

#10 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

for modern day examples, IMO, watch Mike Glennon, who can toss it a mile down the field but sucks when he has to drive the ball in a tight spot outside the hash mark.

#11 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

for modern day examples, IMO, watch Mike Glennon, who can toss it a mile down the field but sucks when he has to drive the ball in a tight spot outside the hash mark.

Word. Chad Pennington could loft a ball about 65 yards, but we all know he had a jelly arm.

#12 The Crusher

The Crusher

More Please!!!

• Moderators
  • 29,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Word. Chad Pennington could loft a ball about 65 yards, but we all know he had a jelly arm.

Yeah but it had the hang time of a Ray Guy punt.

#13 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,578 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Good call Kleckineau! I love Bert Jones. Another guy I always had on my Madden team when they had real old timers.

Vinny is certainly in the conversation. He had a cannon and was a major bust. By the time he got the Jets he was well past his prime, but was a much better QB.

Didn't he supposedly hurt his arm in a distance contest with Vinny?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#14 Ignatius del Sol

Ignatius del Sol

Practice Squad Player

• Banned
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, pretty sure I'm the first one to read this sentence, because wow.

#15 CTM

CTM

At least I'm not a snide little prick

• Members
  • 28,422 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, pretty sure I'm the first one to read this sentence, because wow.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yeah, I'm totally gay

So ****ing this dude. Unreal.

#16 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,633 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Throwing for distance would also favor those who throw a tighter spiral. Bernie Kosar could have a cannon and never be in the convo.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#17 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,700 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Vinny certainly had a rifle arm.
This is a debate that can never really be settled but I would go with Bert Jones.

Bert Jones couldn't even crush a beer can.

JetNation.com

#18 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,700 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Good call Kleckineau! I love Bert Jones. Another guy I always had on my Madden team when they had real old timers.

Vinny is certainly in the conversation. He had a cannon and was a major bust. By the time he got the Jets he was well past his prime, but was a much better QB.

Didn't he supposedly hurt his arm in a distance contest with Vinny?

I remember hearing/reading that. Was during his rookie year in camp or something. Can't find any articles that mention it.

JetNation.com

#19 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 33,885 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Favre was no slouch when he was young.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#20 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Throwing for distance would also favor those who throw a tighter spiral. Bernie Kosar could have a cannon and never be in the convo.

true....also the other variable with throwing for distance is that there is usually alot of wind-up involved and lower body strength where a quick-release rope is more arm strength only. so in that respect tom shane has a point with the distance throw vs. a frozen rope.

#21 nycdan

nycdan

I see with my big round eye...

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Stumbled upon this video of Bradshaw throwing a pass 60 yards in the air on a rope. Low trajectory - probably could have gone at least 10-15 yards more if he lofted it higher. There have been longer throws in the air, but this was a 'pass', not a hail mary.

Edited by nycdan, 09 February 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image

Let's go eat a god damned snack!

#22 stugotz81

stugotz81

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

The speed and distance at which you can throw a football is determined by torque, not muscle mass/strength. So it all comes down to the rotator cuff

Posted Image
You can’t fly with eagles when you keep walking with turkeys

#23 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

The speed and distance at which you can throw a football is determined by torque, not muscle mass/strength. So it all comes down to the rotator cuff

More or less. It is all all about torque, but since the arm's throwing motion utilizes three distinct lever systems, it's more than just the rotator cuff. You have to take into consideration what's causing the force, the amount it creates and then how it's augmented with a longer lever arm. Ie. why those tall QBs like Glennon have an inherent advantage. Give me a solid arm and quick release any day of the week though.

#24 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Early Vick had a sick, sick arm.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#25 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,633 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I seem to remember Major Harris throwing a ball 70 yards from one knee.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users