Vinny T.....freak of nature

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://deadspin.com/...averde-throw-it

Trying to figure out who is responsible for throwing a football the farthest distance in history is not an easy task. It takes one on a winding journey through message boards and YouTube clips and ends, disappointingly, at Vinny Testaverde. In this week's excerpt from Slate's Hang Up and Listen podcast, Josh Levin discovers that the former Jets quarterback may very well be strongest-armed passer in NFL history.

Distance does not equate to having the strongest arm. Ball speed=strongest arm. Elway and Cutler probably have the strongest arms I've ever witnessed, with Rodgers and (maybe) Vick right behind them.

i think i disagree with this. i'm not a physics expert but wouldn't it be true that to propel an object of a certain weight a certain distance it takes a certain amount of force, where an increase of force equates to an increase in distance traveled? i know there are variables such as friction, trajectory etc.....but it just makes sense that a guy with a stronger arm can put more force on the ball and therefore it will travel further.

the more "speed" on a ball would mean that it takes gravity and friction a longer time to exert enough force on the ball to bring it back down to the ground

i think i disagree with this. i'm not a physics expert but wouldn't it be true that to propel an object of a certain weight a certain distance it takes a certain amount of force, where an increase of force equates to an increase in distance traveled? i know there are variables such as friction, trajectory etc.....but it just makes sense that a guy with a stronger arm can put more force on the ball and therefore it will travel further.

the more "speed" on a ball would mean that it takes gravity and friction a longer time to exert enough force on the ball to bring it back down to the ground

j

nerds.jpg

Distance does not equate to having the strongest arm. Ball speed=strongest arm. Elway and Cutler probably have the strongest arms I've ever witnessed, with Rodgers and (maybe) Vick right behind them.

no jet could be the best at anything !!! screw this crap !!!!

for modern day examples, IMO, watch Mike Glennon, who can toss it a mile down the field but sucks when he has to drive the ball in a tight spot outside the hash mark.

for modern day examples, IMO, watch Mike Glennon, who can toss it a mile down the field but sucks when he has to drive the ball in a tight spot outside the hash mark.

Word. Chad Pennington could loft a ball about 65 yards, but we all know he had a jelly arm.

Good call Kleckineau! I love Bert Jones. Another guy I always had on my Madden team when they had real old timers.

Vinny is certainly in the conversation. He had a cannon and was a major bust. By the time he got the Jets he was well past his prime, but was a much better QB.

Word. Chad Pennington could loft a ball about 65 yards, but we all know he had a jelly arm.

Didn't he supposedly hurt his arm in a distance contest with Vinny?

Good call Kleckineau! I love Bert Jones. Another guy I always had on my Madden team when they had real old timers.

Vinny is certainly in the conversation. He had a cannon and was a major bust. By the time he got the Jets he was well past his prime, but was a much better QB.

Didn't he supposedly hurt his arm in a distance contest with Vinny?

I remember hearing/reading that. Was during his rookie year in camp or something. Can't find any articles that mention it.

Favre was no slouch when he was young.

Throwing for distance would also favor those who throw a tighter spiral. Bernie Kosar could have a cannon and never be in the convo.

true....also the other variable with throwing for distance is that there is usually alot of wind-up involved and lower body strength where a quick-release rope is more arm strength only. so in that respect tom shane has a point with the distance throw vs. a frozen rope.

The speed and distance at which you can throw a football is determined by torque, not muscle mass/strength. So it all comes down to the rotator cuff

More or less. It is all all about torque, but since the arm's throwing motion utilizes three distinct lever systems, it's more than just the rotator cuff. You have to take into consideration what's causing the force, the amount it creates and then how it's augmented with a longer lever arm. Ie. why those tall QBs like Glennon have an inherent advantage. Give me a solid arm and quick release any day of the week though.

More or less. It is all all about torque, but since the arm's throwing motion utilizes three distinct lever systems, it's more than just the rotator cuff. You have to take into consideration what's causing the force, the amount it creates and then how it's augmented with a longer lever arm. Ie. why those tall QBs like Glennon have an inherent advantage. Give me a solid arm and quick release any day of the week though.

yes i agree, and to add...the throwing motion can be broken down into three steps: cocking, accelerating and releasing. And kinda like you said they can be affected by the QB's height, strength, and flexibility But what makes each QB more capable than the next QB, is their ability to coordinate all these qualities into one fluid motion.

Tebow on one hand has very good arm attributes but fails to coordinate these into any type of fluid motion.

TebowOverthrow.gif

Archived