Article:

The plot thickens! While news that the Jets were ready to part ways
with Pace/Scott/Smith via cuts, one of the other major cap problems has
to be Mark Sanchez’s bloating cap figure.  With that in mind, it seems
that the team’s new GM is interested in seeing if Sanchez would
re-structure his deal.

Breaking: Per source, the
#Jets
have reached out to Mark Sanchez to explore restructuring his contract.
#nyj

Jake Steinberg (@Steiny31)
February 08, 2013

Brian Bassett, theJetsBlog.com

Now that this is out there, it’s going to be very interesting to see
how Sanchez responds.  It makes 100% sense for the Jets to see if
Sanchez is amenable to re-doing his deal again, but the real question is
whether or not Sanchez sees it the same way as new GM John Idzik.

It all comes down to what Mark Sanchez thinks the best end-game is
here.  Mark Sanchez was atrocious in 2012, but how will be respond to
it?  If he wants out of New York, then re-doing his deal would make no
sense at all and it’s money he’d likely never see again as the Jets will
be forced to eat his 2013 figure and then cut him potentially as soon
as September.  If Sanchez really wants to see things through in New
York, then maybe restructuring his deal is the best way to ease the
burden of the team and allow them an opportunity to put the right cast
around him by plucking a few choice free agents before trying to re-load
in the draft.

Oh dear, "Hey Mark will you take a pay cut? - Promise we won't cut you after the seasons over!" No way he takes a cut unless its helping him get a Trade to say the Raiders or AZ.

Just eat the cap this year. It's a nasty medicine year any way, with the patient feeling much better in 2014.0

If I've learned anything from Jason over the years, it's that restructuring is just a way to defer the year a player kills your cap. I can't imagine Sanchez helping the Jets out by letting them own his rights any longer than necessary. If Idzik is as smart as advertised, he's going to try and buy Sanchez out with the money he's saving in the Scott/Smith/Smith/Pace cuts. Maybe Sanchez would give up a few mil in order to get out of town a year early with a giant check in his pocket.

Secondly, no prime free agent from any skill position is going to come here and rot on the vine unless they massively overpay for him. What, some WR is out there saying, "Boy, I get to play with a lame duck QB, for a lame-duck head coach, for a team that's habitually ruined the careers of every receiver who's walked through the door the past four years? SIGN ME UP ON THE CHEAP!"

Can't see Sanchez doing anything that puts his $8.25M guarantee in jeopardy. Can't really see the Jets looking to defer too much of his money, either.

It's possible that the Jets are looking to convert a big chunk of that guarantee into a bonus in the hopes of making him tradeable. In that case there'd be no cap advantage, but there would be the advantage of Mark being gone.

Restructure? CUT HIM. Take the hit, get rid of this POS and call it a day, or as Tom says above, buy his ass out. Anything else is postponing the inevitable who ever comes next. Sanchez may not have been  dealt with properly, but the talent isn't there now and it will never be there. Sanchez is terrible. No amount of cap room flexiliby changes that.2013 is gonna suck.

If I've learned anything from Jason over the years, it's that restructuring is just a way to defer the year a player kills your cap. I can't imagine Sanchez helping the Jets out by letting them own his rights any longer than necessary. If Idzik is as smart as advertised, he's going to try and buy Sanchez out with the money he's saving in the Scott/Smith/Smith/Pace cuts. Maybe Sanchez would give up a few mil in order to get out of town a year early with a giant check in his pocket.

Secondly, no prime free agent from any skill position is going to come here and rot on the vine unless they massively overpay for him. What, some WR is out there saying, "Boy, I get to play with a lame duck QB, for a lame-duck head coach, for a team that's habitually ruined the careers of every receiver who's walked through the door the past four years? SIGN ME UP ON THE CHEAP!"

ya, pay me and I will leave a year early and pick my team

I've already accepted that they're not biting the bullet on him this year to save as much cap space as possible for 2014 and beyond (keeping in mind any unused cap room in 2014 we'll find a way to push onto 2015 and so forth). So Sanchez, after departing here, will be a $5M hole in 2014.  It's unlikely that Idzik is going to make a bunch of in-house restructures so we can move that $5M to 2013.  Not to mention that wouldn't save any net space for the future anyhow as those other restructured players will themselves just cost more in 2014 and beyond after lowering their 2013 numbers.

But I don't want to convert any of his salary to signing bonus so he counts even more when he's cast away before 2014.  And he will be gone before 2014 because we're not paying this scrub $12M of new money that year no matter what.

ya, pay me and I will leave a year early and pick my team

I don't see why Sanchez would do anything, even if it is to get his "walking papers" early with a bunch of cash he's going to guaranteed to make anyway.  Why would he want his walking papers after a year like 2012? If I were him - or his agent, anyway - I'd roll the dice on having a better 2013 season than 2012 and then getting those walking papers.  The only way he'd do it is if we gave him more cash right now than he would otherwise get as part of his guarantee, and I'm 100% against that.

The only thing I can see them doing is getting Mark to agree to re do the no off set clause in his contract. Depending how bad he wants out of NY

Right now it’s my understanding that Sanchez’s contract is structured that if the Jets release him he can still get signed by another team, and earn even more money.

The Jets have guaranteed him 8.25 M. If he signs with another team they will still have to pay him 8.25, he also gets the 4 or so million the other team pays him for a total of 12.25.

Nice deal

If he realizes he is done in NY, and will never start here again, and really wants to play for another team where he thinks he can start he might (but I doubt it) re do his contract so that the money that he is paid by another team will be off set against the 8.25. Jets would only owe him 4.25 in salary. They would still have the big cap hit for previous bonus’ ect.

I just don’t see this happening. Get used to it. Sanchez will be here in 2013

I don't see why Sanchez would do anything, even if it is to get his "walking papers" early with a bunch of cash he's going to guaranteed to make anyway.  Why would he want his walking papers after a year like 2012? If I were him - or his agent, anyway - I'd roll the dice on having a better 2013 season than 2012 and then getting those walking papers.  The only way he'd do it is if we gave him more cash right now than he would otherwise get as part of his guarantee, and I'm 100% against that.

Or he could risk getting cut a year after riding the pine behind Matt Moore or a third round pick.

I really believe they could be looking to restructure him in hopes of moving him. No one's trading for him at $8.25M guaranteed, but someone might offer a low pick if they can get that number under $3M. As much as everyone here believes Sanchez just simply sucks, I guarantee there's someone out there who thinks they can fix him. He was a good prospect once upon a time, and the Jets couldn't've done a worse job developing him if they had set out to deliberately ruin his career.

The flip side, that they're really looking to just get more cap space in 2013, likely means that they have some confidence -at least- in Rex. That in itself would be an interesting development.

restructure usually means more money for the player. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. 

Meh, we've gone over this. Plenty of reasons for Mark to accept a restructure without new money. Easiest one being getting the same amount of money, but getting it well in advance.

Meh, we've gone over this. Plenty of reasons for Mark to accept a restructure without new money. Easiest one being getting the same amount of money, but getting it well in advance.

there's one reason: he wants to get traded. Getting the guaranteed money in advance isn't any better. It's his money either way. 

cruel logic, but logic.

Or he could risk getting cut a year after riding the pine behind Matt Moore or a third round pick.

I really believe they could be looking to restructure him in hopes of moving him. No one's trading for him at $8.25M guaranteed, but someone might offer a low pick if they can get that number under $3M. As much as everyone here believes Sanchez just simply sucks, I guarantee there's someone out there who thinks they can fix him. He was a good prospect once upon a time, and the Jets couldn't've done a worse job developing him if they had set out to deliberately ruin his career.

The flip side, that they're really looking to just get more cap space in 2013, likely means that they have some confidence -at least- in Rex. That in itself would be an interesting development.

That'd be my fear if I was Sanchez--that I get buried at #3 on the bench and get written off around the league as a bust, then have to scrap around in 2014 to find a minimum contract. Right now, he has some plausible deniability regarding his potential to succeed under the right coach. He needs to go to San Fran and take over Alex Smith's job as the backup, and let Harbaugh work him over.

I could see Mark doing this because he is always concerned with what people think and how he looks to the public. By restructing his deal, he might feel like he looks like a good guy and can get fans to not hate him as much.

Nope.. He'll only do if it's in his best interest financially.. That being said, if he dies anything he'll spin at as magnanimous , just like that loser Pennington used to do

Archived