Sign in to follow this  
whodeawhodat

Jets should go Defense in this years draft - Yahoo Sport Article

speed was the buzz word like 2 years ago. Eagles didnt make it work the people that win championships are the big guys up front

we have enough #1's invested on the line.  we need speed at OLB, RB, WR, S etc etc

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

Alabama's great defense and offense got beat up by Texas A&M and a freshman QB who is kind of like the Wilson, RG3, and Kapernick's of the world.

They almost got beat and should have been beat by a Georgia team who had an offense.       The year before they lost to LSU in a game where LSU didn't score a TD.    Yeah, wasn't that the Jets with Sanchez?   Lose games 10-9?       

And by the way, the Jets have an Alabama QB who won a national championship.   How did that work out?

I don't get how you guys are coming with "college football is different from the NFL" while at the same talking to me about the success of Alabama's recruiting and the failures of Greg McElroy. The NFL doesn't recruit (except FAs, which has minimal impact on what launched this) and Greg McElroy is not a competent NFL QB but rather a competent college QB. It's just driving around their basic "great D with great secondary, big OL with a running game, and competent QB play" formula, which has worked at every level of football. You're stuck on the example/label I used/gave, Alabama, and nothing else. They do not veer from this very basic formula, and so long as they can maintain the level of talent that brings their success that formula will work. Like the Jets, they compete for that talent. Unlike the Jets, recruiting is the only route for them to acquire talent and maintain their success.

Nowhere have I talked about Alabama's great offense. A great offense is not a pre-req to winning. A team needs one that won't take the team out of the game like the 2011 and 2012 Jets' offenses did.

Edited by SenorGato

we have enough #1's invested on the line.  we need speed at OLB, RB, WR, S etc etc

yea id like olb and id like if we get a rb in 2nd. WR and S i feel are luxury picks and should be focused to get once we build a dominate line on both sides of the ball.

I don't get how you guys are coming with "college football is different from the NFL" while at the same talking to me about the success of Alabama's recruiting and the failures of Greg McElroy. The NFL doesn't recruit (except FAs, which has minimal impact on what launched this) and Greg McElroy is not a competent NFL QB but rather a competent college QB. It's just driving around their basic "great D with great secondary, big OL with a running game, and competent QB play" formula, which has worked at every level of football. You're stuck on the example/label I used/gave, Alabama, and nothing else. They do not veer from this very basic formula, and so long as they can maintain the level of talent that brings their success that formula will work. Like the Jets, they compete for that talent. Unlike the Jets, recruiting is the only route for them to acquire talent and maintain their success.

Nowhere have I talked about Alabama's great offense. A great offense is not a pre-req to winning. A team needs one that won't take the team out of the game like the 2011 and 2012 Jets' offenses did.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't following. We just have to draft way better than every other team. Have an awesome line, secondary, defense, special teams. Then get a stud running back, throw a competent QB like Flacco or Kaepernick in there and we got a shot. I wish you sent in a resume before this Idzik clown got hired, you've got it all figured out. I really hope this idea of drafting better players came up in the GM search cause we should should definitely just use our 2nd rounders on a lineman you're talking about instead of Vlad Duccase next time.

Edited by SayNoToDMC

Sorry, I guess I wasn't following. We just have to draft way better than every other team. Have an awesome line, secondary, defense, special teams. Then get a stud running back, throw a competent QB like Flacco or Kaepernick in there and we got a shot. I wish you sent in a resume before this Idzik clown got hired, you've got it all figured out. I really hope this idea of drafting better players came up in the GM search cause we should should definitely just use our 2nd rounders on a lineman you're talking about instead of Vlad Duccase next time.

I like how this is sarcastic as if it's not true or impossible minus the "way better" part. The Jets were just there in 2010 with a QB playing borderline competent ball.

Ooph on the rest of it. You're sarcasming my genius after giving me a lecture on how college isn't the NFL, how college teams have to recruit, and how the Tide are successful because they are successful? Jeebus....

I like how this is sarcastic as if it's not true or impossible minus the "way better" part. The Jets were just there in 2010 with a QB playing borderline competent ball.

Ooph on the rest of it. You're sarcasming my genius after giving me a lecture on how college isn't the NFL, how college teams have to recruit, and how the Tide are successful because they are successful? Jeebus....

Tuscaloosa is a sh*thole.

if we look at the players likely available at 9, it becomes clear why defense might be the pick. 

5 possible OLB (Werner, Mingo, Jarvis, Moore, Jordan)

I agree.  I think the value is definitely at that position.  IMO the drop off after those prospects is significant and the difference in talent between say picks 15-45 range isnt as nearly as wide of a gap.  Of course there are going to players that slide in their and make that comment look silly but the overwhelming majority wont be that much better than the next.  

Edited by JiF

yea id like olb and id like if we get a rb in 2nd. WR and S i feel are luxury picks and should be focused to get once we build a dominate line on both sides of the ball.

OLB then RB would be sweet.  heck the jets have so many needs, the only early picks that would piss me off would be center, punter or kicker, lol

Tuscaloosa is a sh*thole.

Not according to Trip Advisor, did you know it's the home to the Paul W. Bryant museum and the Mercedes-Benz US international visitor center and factory tour? It's where the kids want to be

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30889-Activities-Tuscaloosa_Alabama.html

Edited by SayNoToDMC

Not according to Trip Advisor, did you know it's the home to the Paul W. Bryant museum and the Mercedes-Benz US international visitor center and factory factory tour? It's where the kids want to be

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30889-Activities-Tuscaloosa_Alabama.html

If I ran a 4.2/40, I'd be tearing ass through that Benzo joint.

OLB then RB would be sweet.  heck the jets have so many needs, the only early picks that would piss me off would be center, punter or kicker, lol

bahah knowing them they somehow draft barret jones with our ninth pick

I want to draft two OLB prospects. Or two LB prospects...One in the first hopefully/probably, and then someone like Tank Carradine, Kevin Reddick, Jamie Collins, Quanterus Smith, Lemonier, Thomas, Williams etc.

If we draft defense than when the offense stinks and we still lose then all the posters over here would say what can the defense do, they are on the field all the time.

right.  defenses do not score points.  at least not a lot of points.  our defense scores no points.  our offense scores few points.  we know where the emphasis should be.  having said that, if Jones is there at 9, and we are not trading down, so be it.  there are no WRs or QBs worth getting there that would e available.

The guard would piss me off, too, but otherwise I agree.

I want to draft two OLB prospects. Or two LB prospects...One in the first hopefully/probably, and then someone like Tank Carradine, Kevin Reddick, Jamie Collins, Quanterus Smith, Lemonier, Thomas, Williams etc.

BAP all the way - but if the BAP method lands two OLB's, I'll also be pleased.

Uhhhh, what are we going after in free agency? I'm pretty sure after doing that we can have a better understanding who to draft.

I don't see the Jets being very active in free agency this year. Probably sitting on their hands during the first flurry, then looking for bargains. That's the way I'd play it, anyway. If they want to hold onto guys like Landry, DeVito, or Keller, that'll eat into their budget, too.

step 1- trade down for a number 1 next year

step 2 - trade revis for a 2nd rounder 2013, 1st rounder 2014(if you can get anything more i am all for it)

step 3 - cancel this years NFL season ticket

step 4 - ???

step 5 - profit

Uhhhh, what are we going after in free agency? I'm pretty sure after doing that we can have a better understanding who to draft.

I’ll be surprised if the Jets sign any FA’s before the draft.

Think they will draft, see what they have, and supplement it with some second tier FA’s later.

Probably OL. A veteran guard would be nice if they can find one cheap

I’ll be surprised if the Jets sign any FA’s before the draft.

Think they will draft, see what they have, and supplement it with some second tier FA’s later.

Probably OL. A veteran guard would be nice if they can find one cheap

I think they need to sign at least 3rd tier FAs before the draft so that they even have a roster.  By most plans they will have no safety, OG, OLB on the roster.  I can see living with the crap they have a RB minus Greene up to the draft, but not black holes at that many positions.  Otherwise they will really risk getting caught up short.

I think they need to sign at least 3rd tier FAs before the draft so that they even have a roster.  By most plans they will have no safety, OG, OLB on the roster.  I can see living with the crap they have a RB minus Greene up to the draft, but not black holes at that many positions.  Otherwise they will really risk getting caught up short.

mini-pre-draft?

I don't see the Jets being very active in free agency this year.

Probably sitting on their hands during the first flurry, then looking

for bargains. That's the way I'd play it, anyway. If they want to hold

onto guys like Landry, DeVito, or Keller, that'll eat into their budget,

too.

If you look at the Seahawks roster it's all a bunch of buy lows. Red Bryant...Alan Branch...Jason Jones....Marshawn Lynch was had for cheap...Kam Chancellor was one of the most productive starting safeties in the country when he was in college but his size turned teams off and made him a 4th....obviously Wilson could have gone very high if he was more prototypical...Sidney RIce was once one of the more well liked young WRs in the league but failed to live up to his Minn. contract without Favre....Zac Miller was a good TE early for Oakland but then probably injuries hit....All these guys were recognizable names amongst the JAGs of the league. I expect something like that in FA.

There's some good candidates in FA for these kind of moves too. Fred Davis the TE. A couple of safeties in Delmas and Phillips. Maybe Mendenhall at RB, he's as good a candidate as anyone for a Lynch-esque rise. Ogletree, Massaqoui, Murphy, Collie, probably others amongst the FA WRs. Anthony Fasano at TE. Maybe Tavares Gooden at ILB, but he really hasn't done anything so far. So on...there's a couple of DBs (Jenkins, McKlevin, Clements as a Bell-esque signing).

Not really anyone I am dying to see them spend money on in FA. Reggie Bush would fit this offense really well and I would love an Smith or Cherlius for the OL, but that could be understandably be seen as superfluous (a top 8 word).