Any potential breakout guys on this roster?

SenorGato

The three young DL seem like good bets to different degrees.

DeMario Davis should do just fine at LB.

Holmes could have a quality season if there's a QB, but that wouldn't be a breakout. The two main CBs are capable of monster INT seasons.

Vlad Ducasse? Joe McKnight? Clyde Gates? Stephen Hill? Blah Blanchez? Kyle Wilson? Blah Blahbow? Blah Blahelroy?

The safest bets are all on defense with the DL guys leading the way.

I still like Stephen Hill. This kid needs to be coached up, but the WCO is QB and WR friendly. He's a big, strong, fast kid who should be able to get a lot of YAC in this system. Granted, he's still raw. He may not "break out" for another year, but I think we should see some real improvement starting this season. Kerley's already broken out. He's proven to be an excellent find. A poster boy for not trading away all your mid-round picks. If Hill can pick it up, the WR group doesn't look terrible this year. They should still draft another one, and really think about holding onto Braylon.

Joe McKnight has been a disappointment. He's fast, but doesn't seem to have much wiggle. Love to see the Jets draft their starting RB this year. Powell looks like a good complimentary player.

And as much as I'd love a RB in the second round, those TEs look awfully attractive, too.

The three young DL seem like good bets to different degrees.

DeMario Davis should do just fine at LB.

Holmes could have a quality season if there's a QB, but that wouldn't be a breakout. The two main CBs are capable of monster INT seasons.

Vlad Ducasse? Joe McKnight? Clyde Gates? Stephen Hill? Blah Blanchez? Kyle Wilson? Blah Blahbow? Blah Blahelroy?

The safest bets are all on defense with the DL guys leading the way.

Depends on how you define breakout...like breakout as a pro bowl caliber player or breakout into a solid starter?  I'm not sure there is a hidden pro bowler on the roster (maybe one of the DLmen, though Mo Wilk got robbed of the probowl this season).

As far as just solid starters - Davis, Vlad, Powell, Cumberland - all come to mind as player who we could end up being nice surprises as solid starters.  Maybe McIntyre.  Not sure if you'd consider Kerley to already have a breakout year, but I could see him having a 70+ 1,000 yard season with a decent QB.  I've got no faith in Hill ever learning how to play Football.

If you want a guy that could either be a starter or cut I would go with Josh Bush.  They obviously liked his potential enough to keep him around, but he wasn't on the field too much.  He occasionally looked lost mentally, but physically seemed fine out there.  It could click for him, though I'd be hoping more for surprise starter than difference maker. 

If you want a guy that could either be a starter or cut I would go with Josh Bush.  They obviously liked his potential enough to keep him around, but he wasn't on the field too much.  He occasionally looked lost mentally, but physically seemed fine out there.  It could click for him, though I'd be hoping more for surprise starter than difference maker. 

With the Jets unlikely to be able to afford to keep Landry, I'm guessing they probably bring back Bell on the cheap (despite his age, he was probably one of the guys who gave the Jets the most bang for their buck last year) and you see both Bush and Allen start to get some serious playing time.  Despite spending most of the season on the PS, Allen actually looking pretty decent when he got moved up for a few games there.

With the Jets unlikely to be able to afford to keep Landry, I'm guessing they probably bring back Bell on the cheap (despite his age, he was probably one of the guys who gave the Jets the most bang for their buck last year) and you see both Bush and Allen start to get some serious playing time.  Despite spending most of the season on the PS, Allen actually looking pretty decent when he got moved up for a few games there.

I thought looked better too.  That is why it is interesting that they kept Bush active all year, but bounced Allen from practice squad to cut to active.  Allen even seemed better on specials.  If they keep Bell they will probably prefer Bush as the rangier free safety.  Allen is more of a banger that is poor in coverage - he can replace Smith!

Cumby is a UFA. I see alot of threads talking about him, they need to resign him first. 

RFA, not UFA.  They will surely tender him. 

I thought looked better too.  That is why it is interesting that they kept Bush active all year, but bounced Allen from practice squad to cut to active.  Allen even seemed better on specials.  If they keep Bell they will probably prefer Bush as the rangier free safety.  Allen is more of a banger that is poor in coverage - he can replace Smith!

RFA, not UFA.  They will surely tender him. 

Agreed, the only thing I could think was they felt Bush had the more upside and was at greater risk of getting poached.  Plus, like you said, he's a rangier type of safety, which is unlike anything the Jets have had at the position since Rhodes was traded.  I'm sure Bush will have first crack to see if he can step in as a starter, but I'd guess you'll still see Allen get plenty of reps in the rotation.  They'll probably grab some second-tier FA at some point to round out the group as well and cover their bases in case neither looks good enough to step in next year.

Coples.

This thread started as a "Coples is going to be a monster" post. Guy was already one of the best players on the D last year, though there was less competition than usual.

The best case scenario is that John Idzik is the Jets' 2013 MVP.

Players improve, the team wins, and he will get his praise. He absolutely has to nail the draft, hopefully with more picks than they already have.

Hill is the only guy on the team with any upside worth talking about. MAYBE Jeff Cumberland.

LOLWUT_by_smilie_terrorist.jpg

Depends on how you define breakout...like breakout as a pro bowl

caliber player or breakout into a solid starter?  I'm not sure there is a

hidden pro bowler on the roster (maybe one of the DLmen, though Mo Wilk

got robbed of the probowl this season).

As far as just solid starters - Davis, Vlad, Powell, Cumberland - all

come to mind as player who we could end up being nice surprises as

solid starters.  Maybe McIntyre.  Not sure if you'd consider Kerley to

already have a breakout year, but I could see him having a 70+ 1,000

yard season with a decent QB.  I've got no faith in Hill ever learning

how to play Football.

Yeah, as I was listing them I kept thinking "breakout relative to their individual talent." Someone like Coples can breakout into a Pro Bowl type player while a Clyde Gates type talent is just going to carve a little niche out for himself on the roster until something bigger/better comes along.

I'm not sure what I think of Hill beyond "he's still a freak athlete, very young, and has never seen a quality QB." A smart coach and a good QB can make use of a guy like this, but yeah....yeah.

I wanted to list Josh Bush but I never saw him last year. He does have the talent to become a solid member of Rex's little troupe of DBs behind the two main CBs. I thought of him as a version of Dwight Lowery that was immediately ID'd as a safety rather than corner.

Clyde Gates has to become a better route runner. Given his pedigree he might not be given many chances if he does no come shooting out of the gate at training camp.

McKnight is a player with the talent level who can surprise us. But so far he has been a disappointment.

Stephen Hill will take some more time to mature. Given his pedigree he will be given a long leash.  I except him to be the kindda player that can have a STRONG second half.

Coples has a decent chance of going to the Pro Bowl.

It would be disappointing if Mo Wilk does not put up a season that propels him to a Pro Bowl.

I would like to see what the likes of Mcintrye, Powell do on the field. Are they going to be just marginal, backup type players OR are they going to take the next step.

I still think this team might end up signing one of their starters like either a Greene or a Keller. When you come out of a anemic offense sometimes the league has the tendency to throw the baby with the bathwater and they could very well end not finding a market for their services. If they come cheap it won't be a bad idea to resign them. Specifically Keller.

This thread started as a "Coples is going to be a monster" post. Guy was already one of the best players on the D last year, though there was less competition than usual.

Yeah, as I was listing them I kept thinking "breakout relative to their individual talent." Someone like Coples can breakout into a Pro Bowl type player while a Clyde Gates type talent is just going to carve a little niche out for himself on the roster until something bigger/better comes along.

As the guy that initially brought up Clyde Gates I will defend my choice.  I agree that is the most likely outcome, but Gates is a former 4th round draft pick that was dumped when Miami was purging the Sparano guys.  There isn't much reason to rate him below Kerley and there is always the potential for a Victor Cruz.  <Crosses fingers and says five Hail Mary's>  He is as fast as it gets.  The fastest WR at the combine in 2011.  I've seen it listed as 4.31 and 4.37.  He is only 6', but has long arms.  He was considered a small school developmental prospect, so there is the chance that he has "developed."  He started as a basketball prospect and switched to football after a couple of years JuCo.

More importantly, he is very good after the catch so there will be the opportunity to put some numbers up with Mornhinweg.  Downside is that his route running was considered sloppy coming out and didn't look any better last year.  He is an older rookie, but as a cheap FA who cares?  He joined the team after camp, so hopefully they can teach him a few things.   I am posting a highlight video because... why not?

I liked Gates at times last year. The timed speed translated well enough when he got the ball in his hands, and IIRC he made a couple of tough catches. I like him better than McKnight as a skillplayer breakout. I agree with slats that McKnight isn't as shifty as you might think, and I'm not sure he's good enough without that. To me Powell is the potential breakout guy at RB.

They seem like they want McKnight to be a real RB and play strictly out of the backfield.  The name I kept throwing around was Eric Metcalf.  I think they should try to use him like that.  A tweener RB/WR.  Move him from the backfield to the slot.  Sad thing is that the Pats do this with Woodhead which makes it even more painful.  

They seem like they want McKnight to be a real RB and play strictly out of the backfield.  The name I kept throwing around was Eric Metcalf.  I think they should try to use him like that.  A tweener RB/WR.  Move him from the backfield to the slot.  Sad thing is that the Pats do this with Woodhead which makes it even more painful.  

I think you're far more likely to see this in Mornhinweg's offense, which is why, while I don't think he'll necessarily have a "breakout" season, I think you could see the team make a better use of McKnight's skills.  He's seemed to do well enough in the limited opportunities he's gotten in the receiving game and with the team installing more of a WCO, there will be plenty of opportunities for RBs to make plays in the receiving game.  While I don't think he's ever going to be what they may have hoped for as a traditional RB, I think he could provide some value as the #3 guy in more of a limited, matchup-based role.

How about Jeremy Kerley? In a way, you might say he's already broken out to some extent... but who is to say this guy couldn't develop into a Wes Welker type? He had 827 yards last year with the worst QB in the league. Forget being a decent slot, this guy could be a true playmaker. Having Holmes and Keller on the field might have taken away receptions but he could have benefited from that too.

Archived